more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

First away game

Started by Travers Barney, February 28, 2013, 08:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travers Barney

Quote from: Scrumpy on March 02, 2013, 12:52:19 AM
For me, it was Gillingham in the early 80s. It was the year we went up under McDonald and Steve Bruce was playing for The Gills.

Me and my mate walked out of the station with scarves on wrists and around necks. We walked into a local newsagent and the lady said 'You don't want to wear those on a matchday'. We scoffed at her, but 3 minutes later we were both staggering back into her shop again, with bloody noses and grazed knees. I think it was a 0-0 draw.

On the flip side, I remember the train getting back into Waterloo (East?) and the whole train emptied out with thousands of chanting Fulham fans. People running for cover everywhere. For an impressionable teenager, it was a heady mixture. Great fun!

It was very different in those days.

Sure it wasn't the televised one when Bruce scored Scrumps?....we lost 2-0.

Anyway....just had a rethink and my first out of town (other than Hillsborough) one was just before Leicester..WBA away in the League Cup...got the train and we were in the open terrace at the time behind the goal...people were being picked off left right and centre...horrible it was...Ivor scored for us and we drew 1 each....walk back to Smethwick station after was fun...few of us got a kick or two...happy days.

Went out of course via the return leg at the Cottage...

coyw
We are the whites