more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (01/03/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 01, 2013, 08:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Chris Young's Sunderland-Fulham verdict

AS STEPHANE Sessegnon's right-footed Exocet arrowed through the November air into the far corner of Mark Schwarzer's net, it prompted one of the mop-of-the-brow moments of this season.

Relief was evident everywhere.

Sunderland's players celebrated wildly in front of the away end, the travelling fans puffed out their cheeks and Martin O'Neill clenched his fist at the final whistle 20 or so minutes later.

It was a landmark victory for the Black Cats; a first success on the road for the campaign and a conclusion to a five-game winless run.

Tomorrow's reverse fixture with Fulham holds equal magnitude.

More than a month has passed without Sunderland managing to smash through the 30-point barrier and those familiar fears of being an outside bet for the drop have returned.

It's still difficult to envisage the Black Cats being sucked into the dog fight.

Although Sunderland have not produced vintage flair over the last three games, they could easily have taken points from all three defeats and providing they keep creating chances, the victories will come.

But the next three encounters are crucial.

Should O'Neill's side fail to record less than six points from meetings with Fulham, QPR and Norwich, then the subsequent three against Manchester United, Chelsea and the Tyne-Wear derby hardly harbour the same promise of spoils.

Fulham cannot be taken lightly – last season's Stadium of Light stalemate proved one of the final nails in Steve Bruce's coffin.

But with just one win on the road since September, the Cottagers are attractive opponents in Sunderland's quest to end the longest sequence of Premier League defeats in O'Neill's tenure.

Yes, Martin Jol's men earned a morale-boosting win over Stoke last weekend, to strengthen their own buffer with the bottom three.

But Dimitar Berbatov's stunning volley on the stroke of half-time was one of the few moments of quality in a predictably turgid encounter.

Neither Berbatov, or his team-mates are particularly prolific on the road either, with Fulham netting just three times in their last six away games.

For a Sunderland defence that were the architects of their own downfall against Reading and West Brom, that is a welcome statistic.

But Sunderland's prospects tomorrow revolve around their own offensive threat.

One goal in the previous three games saw O'Neill revert to an orthodox 4-4-2 at the Hawthorns last weekend and it would be stunning for him to do otherwise seven days later.

The interplay between Danny Graham and Steven Fletcher was limited, yet both crucially had chances which they could, and should, have profited from.

Moving wide also appears to have given Sessegnon a lease of life and although it was bold to play the Benin international and Adam Johnson either side of the front two on the road, it will be necessary against Fulham's well-disciplined back-line.

But should O'Neill stick with the 4-4-2, it is no guarantee there won't be changes tomorrow.

With Danny Rose and Lee Cattermole again unavailable, O'Neill has a couple of decisions to make. David Vaughan was bright when he came on at the Hawthorns and is putting pressure on Seb Larsson's spot in central midfield.

And with Titus Bramble producing a hat-trick of clangers in the Black Country, the fit-again Carlos Cuellar or even January arrival Kader Mangane, have to be in contention to partner John O'Shea.

Ex-Sunderland utility man Kieran Richardson is likely to be among the substitutes, at best, for Fulham after shaking off a calf injury. But the Black Cats must ensure there is no happy return for the ex-Manchester United player.

If there is, those lingering, outside fears of relegation will suddenly become very real.

Verdict: Home win

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/safc-news/chris-young-s-sunderland-fulham-verdict-1-5459871

WhiteJC

Strong Foundations

Fulham defender Philippe Senderos insists that a top-10 finish is very much an achievable goal for the Whites.

Whilst the Switzerland international recognises that the Team's form took a dip, he is confident Martin Jol's side have found their feet and will finish the campaign strongly following a positive February.

The 28-year-old is also pleased to be playing his part again, starting the last four fixtures, and impressing alongside Brede Hangeland and co. in securing two consecutive clean sheets.

"Obviously it's good to be back in the starting line-up and playing again," said Philippe to fulhamfc.com. "That was the target, and it's been a nice run. It's been a good month or so for the Team with defeats of West Ham United (at the end of January) and Stoke City. It was a good point at Norwich City, and we were unlucky not to have taken something against Manchester United at Craven Cottage having matched them for large spells of the game.

"Our form has definitely picked up after a difficult run of results; it was a period where we knew that we should have done better. But I think we've turned a corner, and in picking up some good points we have to continue that now.

"We've kept two clean sheets in a row, and of course, that is great for Mark Schwarzer, the other defenders and myself, but it's also an achievement for the whole Team. It's not just about the guys at the back - we defend and attack as one.

"What has impressed me most in recent weeks is that our shape has been excellent. We've been difficult to break down, and that always puts you in a good position. We have to build on those strong foundations now, and if you can keep things tight at the back and keep a clean sheet then you always have a chance of taking something."

Last Saturday's shut-out against Stoke was especially pleasing, for the Team coped admirably against the Potters' physicality and directness in what proved to be a relatively comfortable win for the Whites.

"It's never easy playing Stoke, they are big and strong, and make life very difficult," he said. "But we went out there with a game plan, and it worked. Our aim was to stop them from delivering balls into the box, and we did that by closing them down quickly and unsettling them when they were in possession.

"In fairness, perhaps we should have won by more than just one goal, but at the end of the day it was an important three points. Obviously there were a few uneasy moments for us, but you're always going to have that against Stoke.

"But what they did throw at us, I think we coped with very well. As a team, we dealt with their threats and, for me, we deserved to come away with the victory."

In turning his attentions to Saturday's visit to Sunderland, Senderos believes it is a chance for the Whites to push themselves back up the Barclays Premier League and reclaim a spot in the top half of the table.

"A trip to the Stadium of Light is never an easy one," added Philippe. "It will be a tough match and we will have to be on our game once more. Okay, they [Sunderland] may have lost their last three games, but you can't take any team lightly – especially at this level.

"Sunderland want to move away from the teams below them, and will be determined to get the win. We can't let that happen though, so we will be ready and hopefully we can build on the recent good form.

"We had a really good spell earlier on in the season, we were in the top half of the table for a little while – and that's where we want to get back to. If results go our way on Saturday then we could move back into the top 10 which would be nice. A top-half finish is realistic, and that has to be the objective."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/01/strong-foundations?

WhiteJC

Twitter T-Shirt

Introducing the brand new Club twitter t-shirt, designed by Fulham FC fan John Cummins, winner of the #ffc100k t-shirt competition in honour of the Club surpassing 100,000 followers on twitter.

Thanks to all of our followers for your support.

Available instore and online (£12.99).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/01/twitter-t-shirt?

WhiteJC

U21s' SW6 Derby

There's a local derby at Craven Cottage on Friday evening (7.05pm) when Fulham's Under-21s take on Chelsea.

The Barclays Under-21 Development League Group One fixture is the second game in five days for Kit Symons' side who defeated Aston Villa 2-0 on Monday night to record their first win of the second phase. Omri Altman and Cauley Woodrow were on target against Villa at Hinkley United.

"We could have had the victory wrapped up a bit sooner but I was really pleased with the overall performance," Symons told fulhamfc.com. "It was a strong start and a well-taken goal by Omri. My only gripe is that we should have put it to bed a bit sooner but I'm pleased we managed to get that second goal and see it out."

The clash with Chelsea is the fourth encounter between the clubs this season as the Blues were also in Fulham's initial grouping.

Thus far, home advantage has proved decisive. Our previous Craven Cottage meeting in October brought a 3-1 win for the Whites, memorable for a brilliant volleyed effort from Charles Banya. Marcello Trotta got the other Fulham goals, whilst Billy Clifford netted for Chelsea.

Both Chelsea home games have taken place at Cobham and the Blues gained their revenge in early December with a decisive 3-0 win. Nathan Ake put Chelsea ahead early on and the scoring was completed with further goals from Islam Feruz and Adam Phillip.

The two sides met again in the first match of the second phase. After a goalless first half, Feruz got himself on the scoresheet, before Lewis Baker made sure of the win with a late penalty.

First Team Manager Martin Jol revealed in his press conference on Thursday that Boumesca Tue Na Bangna is set to make his first Fulham appearance of the season after recovering from injury, while another familiar face is set to return in the fixture.

"Mesca will be involved on Friday for the first time after at least six or seven months out with a big injury," Jol explained. "I'm ever so happy that he can start again. He's training with us – I took him straight into the First Team because he's an exciting talent.

"We saw him in pre-season and I think his last game was probably OGC Nice and he came on and he scored within two minutes. He's got everything to be a big player for us and hopefully he will be.

"He tells me that he is stronger than before so that is a bit unusual for that sort of injury, but I believe him. He's quick, he's strong, so he will play a part against Chelsea, like Kerim Frei. He's back and he will start for the Under-21s on Friday."

Season Ticket Holders are entitled to free admittance simply by presenting their Season Ticket Card at the turnstiles. Non-Season Ticket Holders can buy tickets on the turnstiles from £3 for Adults and £1 for Over-65s and Under-16s.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/01/u21s-sw6-derby?

WhiteJC

Sunderland v FULHAM: Davies in line for comeback from injury after one-year absence

Long time coming: A knee injury has meant Simon Davies hasn't played since March 4 last year

Fulham's Simon Davies has overcome a knee injury and could play his first game in almost a year at Sunderland tomorrow.

Fellow midfielders Kerim Frei and Kieran Richardson have recovered from their respective pelvis and calf injuries but Mahamadou Diarra (knee) is out.

Young midfielder Buomesca Tue Na Banga and Ajax loanee Eyong Enoh are also available after knee injuries.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Somogyi, Etheridge, Riether, Hangeland, Hughes, Senderos, Riise, Dejagah, Baird, Karagounis, Kacaniklic, Frimpong, Davies, Richardson, Frei, Mesca, Enoh, Berbatov, Sidwell, Duff, Ruiz, Emanuelson, Rodallega, Petric.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2286463/Sunderland-v-FULHAM-Simon-Davies-line-comeback-injury-year-absence.html

WhiteJC

Matthew Briggs will ease Watford's defensive problems . . . soon

Matthew Briggs has joined Watford on loan but the left-back has not signed in time to help the club out of an injury crisis for tonight's match at Wolves.

Fulham manager Martin Jol yesterday confirmed the 21-year-old has made a temporary move following a spate of injuries at Vicarage Road.

"We have problems at the back," said Watford boss Gianfranco Zola, who is without first-choice defenders Fitz Hall, Tommie Hoban and Neuton for the trip to Molineux.

"We needed a bit more support in that position, that is why we have considered him. He is a defender who can play in the middle, we also do not have a left‑footed central defender."

Briggs (above) has made 27 appearances for Fulham since his debut as a 16‑year-old in 2007, when he became the Premier League's youngest player of all time.

He spent time at Bristol City earlier this season and has also enjoyed loan spells with Leyton Orient and Peterborough.

Zola said: "He has got experience in the Premier League and the Championship so we are talking about a player who knows what the job is.

"I saw him playing and I like him. He has the type of qualities that mean he can do well in our team and in our system. Obviously it is not only me who has seen him, we have a lot of scouts who have seen him play many times."

Live on Sky Sports 2, 7.45pm

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/matthew-briggs-will-ease-watfords-defensive-problems----soon-8516395.html

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Kacaniklic set for Burnley loan move

LOAN: Alex Kacaniklic looks set to link up with Sean Dyche again

BURNLEY are set to complete the loan signing of Fulham midfielder Alexander Kacaniklic.

Kacaniklic who has scored three goals in the Premier League this season knows Sean Dyche well after spending a three month loan spell under his tutelage at Vicarage Road last season, scoring once for the Hornets against Burnley.

The Swedish international will be Dyche's first signing for the Clarets since taking over from Eddie Howe in October.

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/sport/football/burnley-fc/fulham-midfielder-kacaniklic-set-for-burnley-loan-move-1-5460760

WhiteJC

A Saturday afternoon at the Cottage, Craven Cottage.

"Welcome to West London, Dominic."

Since moving to London I've been fortunate to visit a few grounds, probably not as many as expected, but my latest outing is certainly one I'll remember. My trip to watch Fulham take on Stoke City last weekend through the company of Dominic Bliss (editor of The Inside Left), who happens to share the same name as me, was both an experience and education provided by the beautiful game.

Although we only naturally spoke about one topic, it never felt like I was heading to a football match. There were few fans wearing scarves on the tube, something which is unusual to me as I've grown up as a passionate sócio Benfiquista. The walk across Putney bridge felt more like a tourist guide of the city's capital and the silent, chilly stroll through Bishop's Park reminded me of a typical Saturday morning, not a football day. But the two of us, one clearly more wrapped up than the other, followed a stream of dedicated fans; we were going to see The Whites, as they're called.

As we reached the end of the Park, a stadium proudly stood, not one of the grandeur of London's Stamford Bridge or Emirates Stadium, but a place surrounded by delicate charm and history. Welcome to the home of Fulham FC.

The main stand is a landmark, known as the Johnny Haynes Stand, boldly surviving the test of its time. Its heritage has rightfully protected it as a Grade II listed building - meaning that it can't be removed, and more interestingly, it's an evident representation of fine British football architecture. The design belongs to Archibald Leitch, who has been visionary in dozens of stadium constructions throughout this entire island. These crafted foundations won't be found at any modern ground as these bricks bear character.

And as we strolled through the ticket gates, the symbol of the stadium caught my eyes, the Cottage, an icon that dates back to the 18th century, which I've seen too many times on TV, finally rested in front of me. Inside were officials, guests and most importantly, the men dressed in white who were about to entertain ~25,000, as they always do.

It could have been a fictitious Winter afternoon, from the walk through the park to Cottage, I had been transformed into another world, almost as if I'd been dropped into an era of the past. But what did happen was Berbatov's brilliant majestic match-winning volley. Welcome to Fulham, and I shall return...

http://afootballreport.com/post/44287923221/a-saturday-afternoon-at-the-cottage-craven

WhiteJC

Davies among Fulham trio passed fit for Sunderland clash

Fulham's Simon Davies has overcome a knee injury and could play his first game in almost a year at Sunderland tomorrow.

Fellow midfielders Kerim Frei and Kieran Richardson have recovered from their respective pelvis and calf injuries but Mahamadou Diarra (knee) is out.

Young midfielder Buomesca Tue Na Banga and Ajax loanee Eyong Enoh are also available after knee injuries.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Somogyi, Etheridge, Riether, Hangeland, Hughes, Senderos, Riise, Dejagah, Baird, Karagounis, Kacaniklic, Frimpong, Davies, Richardson, Frei, Mesca, Enoh, Berbatov, Sidwell, Duff, Ruiz, Emanuelson, Rodallega, Petric.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/davies_among_fulham_trio_passed_fit_for_sunderland_clash_1_1961797

WhiteJC

Premier League Preview: Sunderland v Fulham

SUNDERLAND v FULHAM 15:00, Stadium of Light

The match starts a period of three vital games for the Black Cats in which they play Fulham, QPR and Norwich which could secure their Premier League safety given the right results. Sunderland have won only one of their last seven Premier League meetings with Fulham, although this victory did come earlier in the season at Craven Cottage.

Martin O'Neill's side have lost their last three games, but will hope to get back to winning ways against a Fulham side who have won only twice on their travels. Martin Jol will hope that top scorer Dimitar Berbatov can find the net as the Cottagers have not lost a league game this season in which the Bulgarian has scored.

What to watch out for: The Stadium of Light has seen fewer goals scored than any other ground in the division, so a low score line would be expected.

Possible line-ups:
Sunderland – Mignolet; Gardner, O'Shea, Bramble, Colback; Larsson, Cattermole, N'Diaye, Johnson; Sessegnon; Fletcher

Fulham – Schwarzer; Riether, Senderos, Hangeland, Riise; Dejagah, Karagounis, Sidwell, Duff; Ruiz; Berbatov

Recent form: Sunderland – WWDLLL; Fulham – DLWLDW

Prediction: 2-1

http://www.footymatters.com/articles/english-football/premier-league/premier-league-preview/premier-league-preview-sunderland-v-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Sunderland take on Fulham at the Stadium of Light

Sunderland tackle Fulham at the Stadium of Light on Saturday in danger of being dragged into the relegation battle developing just below them.

A trio of defeats for Martin O'Neill's Black Cats leaves them just five points above the bottom three heading into the final 11 games of the Premier League season.

A lack of goals has been Sunderland's Achilles heel throughout the season, with Steven Fletcher their top scorer on 10, but he has netted just twice in the last 10 games.

Danny Graham was brought in from Swansea during the January transfer window and is still to open his account for the Wearsiders, having made just one start and two substitute appearances.

Fulham, who head to the North East on the back of their 1-0 home success against Stoke, remain poor travellers in the Premier League having won just twice away from Craven Cottage this season.

The reverse fixture in London earlier this season ended in a 3-1 victory for the visitors, but that was Sunderland's only success against Fulham in their last seven Premier League meetings.

Sunderland

Sunderland will be without captain Lee Cattermole and on-loan defender Danny Rose when they face Fulham at the Stadium of Light.

Combative midfielder Cattermole is facing several weeks on the sidelines after having an injection in a bid to resolve the knee injury which has restricted him to just 14 appearances this term.

Left-back Rose, who missed the West Brom defeat after aggravating a hamstring injury against Arsenal, will not feature but could come back into contention for the trip to QPR next weekend.

Fulham

Fulham's Simon Davies has overcome a knee injury and could play his first game in almost a year at Sunderland.

Opta stats

Sunderland have failed to score in six of their last nine Premier League games against Fulham.
Fulham are yet to lose this season in the Premier League when Dimitar Berbatov has scored (W4 D3).
The Stadium of Light has seen just 27 Premier League goals scored at it this season; fewer than any other ground.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/261837/preview?

WhiteJC

SUNDERLAND v Fulham: Cattermole set for lengthy spell out after knee injection

Sunderland skipper Lee Cattermole is facing several weeks on the sidelines as he attempts to shake off a knee injury.

The 24-year-old midfielder will miss tomorrow's Barclays Premier League clash with Fulham at the Stadium of Light after having an injection in the knee, with manager Martin O'Neill admitting surgery may be required if that does not solve the problem.

Another setback: Lee Cattermole (left) has played just twice since November

Full-back Danny Rose is expected to return to training next week after aggravating a hamstring strain which has been treated at parent club Tottenham.

Provisional squad: Mignolet, Westwood, Bardsley, O'Shea, Kilgallon, Bramble, Cuellar, Mangane, N'Diaye, Gardner, Colback, McClean, Larsson, Johnson, Vaughan, Sessegnon, Fletcher, Graham.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2286485/SUNDERLAND-v-Fulham-Lee-Cattermole-set-lengthy-spell-knee-injection.html

WhiteJC

Martin Jol already has sights set on Emmanuel Frimpong for next season

Martin Jol wants to keep Emmanuel Frimpong at Fulham next season.

Frimpong is on loan from Arsenal for the rest of this campaign and Jol will speak to Arsene Wenger about extending that deal in the summer.

The 21-year-old midfielder has made just one start since joining Fulham last month but has impressed Jol and his coaching staff.

Jol admits a permanent move for Frimpong is unlikely but is keen for him to stay another year.

He said: "If there was an opportunity to take him on loan, I would probably do that. It is quite a nice position to be in, to get a loan player you do not have to pay a transfer fee. It is a good way of doing things because it would be quite expensive to take him [permanently].

"I was impressed with him from the start. He is the type of player you would like as a manger because he is versatile and he can play as well because he is an Arsenal player."

Frimpong still features in Wenger's long-term plans but has found opportunities limited at Arsenal since recovering from a serious knee injury last summer.

Wenger is keen for him to get more Premier League experience before returning to Emirates Stadium.

Frimpong's only appearance for Fulham came three weeks ago in a 0-0 draw with Norwich (above). He played 65 minutes before coming off but Jol has confirmed he is now fully fit and could start against Sunderland tomorrow.

The Fulham manager said: "He did well for us at Carrow Road and he is getting better and better. I can play him from the start if I want to."

Jol believes Mahamadou Diarra will play again this season despite suffering a setback in his recovery from a knee injury.

The midfielder has been sidelined since December but Jol said: "Hopefully, he will be fine in the next three weeks. But I do not have a guarantee from my medical staff. He had a little setback a week ago, when he felt a pain again."

Midfielder Simon Davies has overcome a knee injury and could play his first game in almost a year tomorrow.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/martin-jol-already-has-sights-set-on-emmanuel-frimpong-for-next-season-8516743.html

WhiteJC

Preview: Sunderland v Fulham

A look ahead to Saturday's game. (KO 3pm)
Sunderland will be looking to end a run of three consecutive defeats as they entertain Fulham at the Stadium of Light on Saturday.

Although the Black Cats haven't gained a point from their last three games, it's fair to say they've deserved something from all three.

Fulham have struggled in 2013, with only two league wins to their name. However, last weekend's victory over Stoke City is bound to give them confidence, and they have kept consecutive clean sheets for the first time since February 2012.

Sunderland will take confidence from their 3-1 victory at Craven Cottage back in November this year, and will be looking to make Fulham the second side they have done the double over this season – with Wigan the only other side the Black Cats have beaten home and away.

A Sunderland win would see them leapfrog Fulham and potentially move into 11th place in the Barclays Premier League, but will have the motivation of extending their unbeaten run to three and moving ahead of Stoke City into the top half.

Dimitar Berbatov is one goal behind Sunderland striker Steven Fletcher in the Premier League scoring charts – the Bulgarian has nine with the Scot on ten.

Kieran Richardson will be returning to the SoL for the first time since his summer departure to South London.

The two sides have met on 57 occasions with Sunderland coming out on top on 23 occasions - there have been 17 draws and Fulham have also won 17 of the games between the two sides.

MATCH STATS
Of the players to score 10+ goals in the Premier League, Steven Fletcher has the joint-best shooting accuracy (62.5%).

Stephane Sessegnon has been fouled 71 times; more than any other player in the top flight.

http://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2013/february/safc-v-fulham-preview?

WhiteJC

Forget Paul the octopus – Fulham chickens are new prediction kings

Away win: Fulham's chickens are banking on a win for the Cottagers (Picture: YouTube)

From Paul the octopus to Nicholas the llama, animals have a rich tradition of predicting football scores, and now Fulham have got in on the act by asking their chickens to predict their weekend clash against Sunderland.

Fulham's chickens are among some of the most famous in the world, after their arrival last April sparked national media attention.

The Cottagers brought in 12 hens to help keep catering costs down at their Motspur Park training headquarters in Surrey, with the Fulham squad getting through 90 eggs-a-week.

Famous: Fulham's chickens arrived last year to big media interest (Picture: YouTube)

And while they're proving their worth by saving a few quid off the pitch, they also hope to have an influence on it, by predicting a Fulham victory against Sunderland.

The chickens, filmed as part of Fulham TV's prediction segment, made their choice by eating corn from a pile marked as Fulham.

They had success last week, correctly predicting a win against Stoke, and will look to continue their hot streak in a now regular feature.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/01/forget-paul-the-octopus-fulham-chickens-are-new-prediction-kings-3521988/?

WhiteJC

Fulham winger Alexander Kacaniklic in line for Burnley loan switch

Alexander Kacaniklic: Set for loan move to Burnley

Fulham winger Alexander Kacaniklic looks set to join Burnley on loan.

The 21-year-old signed professional terms at Craven Cottage in 2012 after joining the club from Liverpool's youth set-up two years previously.

But the Sweden international has not played for Martin Jol's side since their 4-1 FA Cup defeat to Manchester United on 26 January.

That has alerted Burnley boss Sean Dyche and the Clarets are understood to have come in with a loan offer for Kacaniklic.

He has scored three goals in 19 appearances for Fulham and also featured in Sweden's 4-2 win over England in November.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11708/8531403?

WhiteJC

Under-18s Visit Palace

Steve Wigley's charges will be looking for a fifth consecutive win on Saturday when they make the trip to London rivals Crystal Palace (11am).

Fulham lead the Barclays Under-18 Premier League Elite Group, a point in front of second-placed Southampton but with two games in hand. Currently unbeaten, they have also hit 15 goals in four matches so far and have conceded just three.

Five of that total was notched up last weekend, following the 5-0 thumping of Chelsea, with Muamer Tankovic (2), George Williams, Moussa Dembele and Patrick Roberts all on target. Victory followed the defeats of Southampton, Everton and Reading.

Opponents Palace currently reside in seventh place (the Elite Group comprises of eight teams), although the Eagles have only played two fixtures so far - losing 5-0 at home to Chelsea and defeating Manchester United 2-1 away.

The teams have already faced each other this season, when going head-to-head in the first phase of academy fixtures. Fulham won 4-3 at the start of September, with Dembele (3) and Cauley Woodrow scoring the goals.

However, in the return fixture at Motspur Park, it was Palace who claimed the points in a narrow 2-1 victory – with Woodrow again on target for Fulham.

Palace have a fine reputation at youth level, with Ryan Inniss, Reise Allassani, Ghassimu Sow and Mandela Egbo amongst the current emerging crop of hopefuls.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/01/u18s-visit-palace?

PLB

Quote from: WhiteJC on March 01, 2013, 12:14:00 PM

Jol wants Frimpong back next season

Fulham manager Martin Jol says he would jump at the chance to take Emmanuel Frimpong on loan again next season.

The Arsenal midfielder, 21, joined the Whites in January and has made only one appearance for them so far.

But he impressed in the recent 0-0 draw with Norwich and Jol is a long-term admirer of the Gunners youngster.

"He is getting better and better and he is now fully fit. He can play from the start if I want and he did well against Norwich," said Jol.

"I have been impressed with Frimpong since the start – since I saw him play for Arsenal two years ago.

"He is the type of player you would like as a midfielder. He is versatile, he has this mentality and he can play, also."

The Dutchman added: "If I had the opportunity to take him on loan again next season then I would do. It would be a nice position to be in.

"Loans are a good way of doing things because he would be expensive [to sign permanently]."

On-loan Ajax midfielder Eyong Enoh – another player attempting to recover full fitness – has also impressed Jol.

He said: "Enoh hasn't featured for three or four months but it is good to have him around because he's a very good player.

"He lacks a bit of match fitness, but he is better than before and I'm happy with him and Frimpong."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/jol-wants8-frimpong-back61-next-season

Seems a bit ridiculous if he's out of contract at the end of the year? Why not just sign him - FA / Arbitration-decided transfer fee, surely?!

jmh

Quote from: PLB on March 01, 2013, 02:12:51 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on March 01, 2013, 12:14:00 PM

Jol wants Frimpong back next season

Fulham manager Martin Jol says he would jump at the chance to take Emmanuel Frimpong on loan again next season.

The Arsenal midfielder, 21, joined the Whites in January and has made only one appearance for them so far.

But he impressed in the recent 0-0 draw with Norwich and Jol is a long-term admirer of the Gunners youngster.

"He is getting better and better and he is now fully fit. He can play from the start if I want and he did well against Norwich," said Jol.

"I have been impressed with Frimpong since the start – since I saw him play for Arsenal two years ago.

"He is the type of player you would like as a midfielder. He is versatile, he has this mentality and he can play, also."

The Dutchman added: "If I had the opportunity to take him on loan again next season then I would do. It would be a nice position to be in.

"Loans are a good way of doing things because he would be expensive [to sign permanently]."

On-loan Ajax midfielder Eyong Enoh – another player attempting to recover full fitness – has also impressed Jol.

He said: "Enoh hasn't featured for three or four months but it is good to have him around because he's a very good player.

"He lacks a bit of match fitness, but he is better than before and I'm happy with him and Frimpong."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/jol-wants8-frimpong-back61-next-season

Seems a bit ridiculous if he's out of contract at the end of the year? Why not just sign him - FA / Arbitration-decided transfer fee, surely?!
That would be nice, sure, but "just sign him" takes for granted that he wants to sign a contract with Fulham instead of extending his contract with Arsenal, and we don't have any reason to assume that that's true.