more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (07/03/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 07, 2013, 05:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham academy taking England by storm

Since a recent overhaul, the Under 18s and Under 21s have gone from strength to strength.

Some say a football club can only be as good as its academy. It's a pretty thought; the brainchild of self-sufficiency. But gone are days when first elevens were borne out of a club's respective youth system. Nowadays it's all about the money, about the now.

Fulham were arguably a model of the latter, less fairytale model. We rose through the divisions under the guidance of Mohammed Al Fayed and his generous millions. There were, of course, some reputable names during those heavenly few years that were Fulham through and through.

There was Sean Davis, an unforgettably dogged midfielder who had an otherwise more technical side to his game. He went on to Tottenham Hotspur and, though he never made the 'big time', he can safely blame an injury prone career and no-one would argue. He was a fantastic player.

Zat Knight, perhaps not the most glamorous of defenders, came through our academy after signing from Rushall Olympic. Without obligation to pay the Non-League side a transfer fee, we sent them thirty tracksuits as a gesture of goodwill and then nurtured him into a player of Premier League standard. No mean feat.

But beyond them, the only names that linger on the lips of Fulham fans from our top-level era are the likes of Louis Saha, Brian McBride and Clint Dempsey. All fine players, but all foreign imports.

While we were bringing in these fine footballing specimens, we were churning out players of the calibre of Elliot Omozusi and Elvis Hammond. We were hardly setting the youth leagues alight.

But there was, at least, slight progression under Roy Hodgson. There were, again, no huge players of note but Chris Smalling can certainly be pencilled in as a distinct success. It was no surprise that the best talent to emerge under Hodgson would be a defender - he encouraged a stable, rigid formation and only introduced flair when it was without risk.

This meant the wisdom of Roy could rub off on the likes of Smalling but would, more than likely, pass over the heads of the more technically gifted players we could have produced. Danny Hoesen, for example, could have been huge for Fulham, but is now proving his worth at Ajax in the Netherlands.

If we jump to the present, though, the Fulham academy is looking like a well-oiled machine. Martin Jol, an advocate of free-flowing football, has overseen the development of this side of the club and it has already began to pay dividends.

We've seen Kerim Frei bemuse a Chelsea back line, we've seen Alex Kacaniklic establish himself as a crafty left winger and we've even seen Matthew Briggs, intermittently, show himself as a worthy full back.

There are probably many aspects that have seen this sudden upturn in fortunes for this previously derelict academy. The installation of Huw Jennings as Academy Director probably had a lot to do with it. He knows a good player when he sees one - Theo Walcott and Gareth Bale are among his previous proteges - and he knows what needs doing to make them world class.

For all this upward momentum, though, we're not yet at a stage where we can brag and boast, unfortunately. The Under-18s currently have a 100% record in the Phase 2 Elite Group having just breezed past Bolton Wanderers with a 4-1 victory. It's worth noting that the 'elite' description is befitting of the level they are playing at.

The Under-21s could be considered somewhat less consistent but, with two wins, two draws and two defeats, sit strongly in fourth in their similarly elite league setup.

This small divide between the youth sides - and I must stress how small it is - highlights just how quickly the academy is being overhauled. The current Under 21 setup were on the cusp of the change and are only just reaping the benefits. Players like Mesca, Ryan Williams and Dan Burn have a potentially huge future ahead of them.

The Under 18s have been able to take in the wonders of a Category One academy from the start and are showing various other outfits - some particularly notable for having strong youth networks - just where we stand. This season, they have battered Middlesbrough - a notoriously strong academy side - 6-0, Chelsea 5-0 and have overturned Liverpool away from home.

It all paints a promising future. Players like Noe Baba, Cauley Woodrow, Muamer Tankovic and Moussa Dembele are already being touted as world-beaters, in spite of their tender age.

Of course, it will still be a matter of years before we see their affect on the first team but when it happens, you get the feeling that it could be cosmic.

For Fulham have decided to take strides in the right direction and now, with the foundations in place, we could well take English football by storm.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2013/3/6/4071712/fulham-academy-england-by-storm-chelsea-middlesbrough-liverpool?

WhiteJC

Permanent Burnley switch unlikely for Kacaniklic

Clarets boss Sean Dyche has revealed that he is sceptical over reaching an agreement with Fulham to bring the Swedish international to Turf Moor following his loan spell

Burnley boss Sean Dyche has revealed that he doubts he can persuade on loan Fulham winger Alex Kacaniklic to join the Clarets on a permanent basis.

The Sweden international made the switch to Turf Moor until the end of the season after Martin Jol was keen to give the 21-year-old first-team experience.

Kacaniklic only recently arrived in Lancashire but Dyche is fully aware that it is unlikely he will be able to pry him away from the Cottagers on a long-term basis.
"I'm imagining [a permanent deal] would be unlikely, but if it's not I'd be buzzing," he told the Burnley Express.

"I might even get my own money out to sign him!

"He's a young talent. He's a very good player but he's 30 games or so into his career, so he's got more development to come.

"He's hungry for development and all credit to him."

Burnley are currently 10th in the Championship, eight points adrift of the play-off places and face promotion-chasing Hull City and Watford either side of a derby clash with neighbours Blackburn at Ewood Park in March.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/03/06/3804275/-?

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

David Stockdale saved a penalty but Hull City slipped down to third in the npower Championship after a 4-2 defeat at Crystal Palace on Tuesday night.

After Glenn Murray's spot-kick had been brilliantly saved by Stockdale, veteran striker Kevin Phillips converted a penalty in first-half stoppage time to put Palace in front.

Phillips then scored twice in two minutes early in the second half to seal his hat-trick, before Jay Simpson pulled one back. But Wilfried Zaha added a Palace fourth, before David Meyler's consolation.

In the same division, Matthew Briggs was not in the matchday squad as Watford leapfrogged Hull into second spot with a 2-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday, but Alexander Kačaniklić played the full 90 minutes as Burnley drew 1-1 at home to struggling Barnsley.

Charlie Austin had given Burnley a ninth-minute lead, but Tomasz Cywka's late strike earned Barnsley a point. The Clarets sit in 11th place, eight points off the Play-Off pack.

In League One, Marcello Trotta was an unused substitute as Brentford lost 1-0 at Stevenage. The result means Brentford, who could have moved level on points with second-placed Sheffield United with a win, fall to fifth, behind Yeovil Town on goal difference.

In the Blue Square Bet Premier, James Musa and Hereford United were beaten 3-2 at home to Newport County.

Newport goalkeeper Lenny Pidgeley saved an early spot-kick from Marley Watkins, but Joshua O'Keefe scored a penalty to put Hereford in front just before the break. Lee Minshull levelled matters on 72 minutes but O'Keefe again scored from the spot moments later to give Hereford the lead.

However, Minshull equalised once more on 81 and Robbie Wilmott scored an injury-time winner. Hereford are eighth in the table, 13 points outside the Play-Off places.

Also in the Conference, Marcus Bettinelli and Dartford drew 1-1 at home to Stockport County.

Mark Cullen put the visitors ahead after Adnan Cirak's initial shot had been saved, but Danny Harris rescued Dartford a point. The Darts are in 11th place in the table, a whopping 16 points off the Play-Offs.

Finally, in the Blue Square Bet South, Richard Peniket scored his second goal in as many games as Farnborough lost 2-1 at Billericay Town.

After Jay May had put the hosts in front, Peniket levelled on 50 minutes, only for Glenn Poole to restore Town's advantage 60 seconds later. Peniket's Fulham teammate Tom Donegan entered the fray as a substitute for Farnborough, who sit in 11th place in the table, 10 points off the Play-Off positions.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/06/loan-round-up

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

Sascha Riether is in the top two or three right-backs in the Barclays Premier League in my opinion. He's such an uncomplicated player and such a good crosser of the ball when he gets in the last third. He's been a tremendous signing for Fulham and I, like everyone, hope to see that loan deal become permanent.

I don't think I've seen anyone get the better of him in a one-on-one situation. As a full-back, he ticks all the boxes when it comes to what his job is and he's certainly one of the very best in the league. It was great to see him get on the scoresheet at Sunderland to make it 2-0 in Saturday's 2-2 draw and just reward for the way he ran the length of the pitch to join the attack.

A trip to Sunderland was a game we'd probably have taken a point from beforehand but it's obviously disappointing to see us throw away a two-goal lead. In the end, we were probably hanging on for the draw. But, all in all, it's a good point as it's not the easiest place to go to.

I have to say, Dimitar Berbatov's penalty to make it 1-0 was different class. I was doing a function for Walton Casuals, the non-League club I'm chairman of, on Monday night and Rodney Marsh was over from America. I told him that Berbatov is a modern-day Rodney Marsh. Marshy used to get accused of being lazy but one bit of brilliance and a game was turned on its head. He was delighted to be put in that category.

Sunderland's penalty to reduce the score to 2-1 was a little bit harsh on Philippe Senderos who was adjudged to have fouled Danny Graham, but it's a side of his game that he has to work on. Philippe sometimes gets too close to people and it gives opposition players the chance to win fouls. As a defender you can mark loosely and Philippe can't keep getting that tight. As a centre-back, when you make a mistake, more often than not, it ends in a goal.

He was also fortunate to get away with an error against Stoke City when he tried to usher the ball back to Mark Schwarzer and Peter Crouch almost nipped in to score. As a central defender, he's the last line of defence and one mistake, especially in a very punishing league, can cost you. It's something he has to eliminate from his game.

Stoke are a tough team to play and it was a great three points for Fulham in our last home game at the Cottage. It was never going to be a pretty game against them but Berbatov's goal that won it was superb. The ball was dropping out of the air with no pace on it and he took a look to his left, a look to his right and smashed it in. It was a wonderful finish and a goal fit to win any game.

The penalty save by Schwarzer from Jonathan Walters obviously proved crucial, though. Walters normally goes straight down the middle but he went to the side and Schwarzer guessed right. It was an excellent save.

With no game this weekend, our next match is against in-form Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane. Gareth Bale is obviously the man to stop right now and it will be interesting to see which position he plays against Fulham. If he starts on the left, we need to double up on him. But if he starts in the middle, we need to get an extra body in the centre of the park. You really have to exaggerate your body position – even from 25 or 30 yards out – so you don't let him shuffle onto his left-hand side. It's easier said than done but you have to force him to go onto his right-hand side. I'm surprised Premier League defenders aren't really doing that at the moment.

Matthew Briggs and Alexander Kačaniklić recently departed the Club on loan for the rest of the season. Briggs going to Watford is a great move for him. I've seen them in action recently and they play some good football, similar to Fulham. That will suit Matty and he'll grow up there as Gianfranco Zola will really take him under his wing. I worked with Zola at West Ham United and he's so good with younger players and that will be a beneficial move for Matty.

Kaca's gone to Burnley and it's a chance for him to really work on his game, especially the physical side of it. Going down to the npower Championship against some big bruising defenders will help him as sometimes he can get knocked off the ball a little bit too easily.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/05/the-tony-gale-column

WhiteJC

Jol re-opens talks with Fulham over contract extension

The Dutch manager has recently met with the club to discuss activating the clause in his current deal that would keep him at Craven Cottage for another 12 months

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Martin Jol has re-opened talks with Fulham about extending his contract beyond this season, Goal.com can reveal.
The Dutchman first held contract talks with the club last autumn, but negotiations were put on ice as the team's form dipped either side of the New Year.

However, Jol and his representative Mino Raiola recently met with senior officials at the west London club for discussions about his future.

The 57-year-old, whose current deal expires in June, has a clause in his contract that includes an option to extend his Craven Cottage stay until the summer of 2014.

Schalke have targeted Jol to take over as their new manager in the summer after dismissing Huub Stevens in December and appointing former youth-team coach Jens Keller in an interim capacity until the end of the season.

"Jol is now more likely to go into next season as the Fulham manager," a source told Goal.com "There have been new talks about his contract but things are still in limbo. There is a feeling that if he gets a better offer, Jol will go."

As revealed by Goal.com, the former Tottenham, Ajax and Hamburg manager had been at loggerheads with Fulham officials over his contract negotiations and the club's recruitment strategy.

The Premier League club failed to provide Jol with any permanent signings in January despite making late bids to sign Jack Butland and Tom Huddlestone. The only playersrecruited were loan deals - Emmanuel Frimpong, Urby Emanuelson, Stanislav Manolev and Eyong Enoh.

However, it is understood that there has been a fresh impetus from the Fulham board to tie Jol to the club for another 12 months.

He has steered the Cottagers to 10th in the Premier League – nine points clear of the relegation zone - and they are all but certain to maintain their top-flight status.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/03/07/3801020/-?

WhiteJC

Steve Wigley Exclusive

With such an impressive back catalogue of success, Steve Wigley's reputation in youth football speaks for itself. But does the man charged with nurturing our stars of tomorrow talk a good game? He reveals all in the latest edition of Fultime.

Steve, thanks for talking to Fultime. Let's start off with your time as a player, because your path into professional football was quite an extraordinary one wasn't it?

Well I went from playing non-League football with Curzon Ashton to signing for the champions of Europe. Nottingham Forest had won two consecutive European Cups [in 1979 and 1980], so when they came in for me it was an offer I couldn't turn down. I'd played one game for Wigan Athletic, who had just gone into the Football League, on trial, but I decided against signing for them, because I wanted to see if anything else presented itself - and it did. To be honest, when I first arrived at Forest I was a million miles away from playing for the champions of Europe. I didn't really break into the side for three years or so, but after a while I found my feet.

Having come through the non-League route, has that made you more susceptible to players at that level?

It was a bit different back in my day, where it was probably a bit easier to make that transition. A lot of big clubs looked at non-League football, and while I'm not saying that they don't now, today clubs cast their net to every corner of the world. Of course, there are examples of that now; Chris Smalling's move from Maidstone United to Fulham is a perfect one. I actually think some players aren't quite ready at 17, 18 or 19 and need a bit of time, which is something that non-League football can give them. I'm a great believer that if you're good enough you will find your way in this game.

After moving into coaching at Forest, your reputation began to grow. In the summer of 2001 you joined Southampton as reserve-team manager before taking on the role of academy director?

I knew Stuart Gray very well from our time at Forest as players and back then he was the Southampton manager. I came in initially to oversee the technical side of things, but then found myself heading up the academy. That was my first chance to really put my own stamp on something and show what I could do. It was a very successful time for all of us that were involved, because the players that came through the Southampton academy at that point are well documented.

Having played alongside him at Forest and then worked with him at Manchester City, you continue your partnership with Stuart Pearce with the England Under-21s. It's a relationship that works well isn't it?

I like to think so. We share a lot of the same ideas and compliment each other. He's an extremely hard-working coach and likes to be out on the pitch with his players. He's an honest man too, and I think he's brought a lot to his role with England. I initially worked with the Under-21s during David Platt's spell as manager in 2002, but I've worked alongside Stuart since 2007 and I've loved every minute of it. So far we've played at three consecutive European Under-21 Championship Finals, of which we were knocked out at the Semi-Final stage in 2007 against Holland - losing 13-12 on penalties! - before that disappointing 4-0 defeat to Germany in the Final in 2009. In 2011 we failed to reach the knockout stage despite getting off to a good start against eventual winners Spain. We enter a fourth tournament this June in Israel so hopefully we can get our hands on the trophy. It's been a good campaign for us so far, and we have a very good crop of players.

Having worked with senior players at Bolton Wanderers, Bristol City and Hull City, what was behind your decision to return to academy football last summer?

If I'm honest, working with young players gives me the greatest satisfaction. I needed to return, and at some point it was always going to happen. And the move has refreshed me as I'd probably gone a little stale. It was the challenge that I had been seeking and working with these boys and staff at Fulham has given me that. I had spoken to a few clubs the previous year, but when the job at Fulham came up it was the most appealing. This Academy had made great progress in recent seasons so I was well aware of the good work that was taking place and I wanted to be part of that. It was a good fit for me.

Martin Jol is also someone that champions the promotion of homegrown talent too isn't he?

He is, and that's vital as well. I don't think I would have joined a club that didn't have that support from the top and its management. Young players need to be given an opportunity, and they have that here at Fulham. The Manager has shown that he is willing to give them a chance, so that's great to see. It's not easy for a manager to do that at this level, but the boys have no excuses here. I'm pretty confident of what these players can do, but at the end of the day, it is the Manager's reputation that is on the line isn't it? But if the players are good enough, he'll play them, make no mistake. But we have to make sure that they are.

Having enjoyed success with the academies at Nottingham Forest and Southampton, are you confident that you can tread a similar path of progress at Fulham?

I think I've been lucky with the groups that I've worked with. At Forest and Southampton those groups had a lot of quality and it was the same with Manchester City. But having come in at Fulham, I've found another promising group. I'm excited about the group's potential and now the challenge is getting them to play at their maximum. If they do that, then we'll see what happens.

To read the full interview with Wigley, be sure to pick up your copy of Issue 40 of Fultime magazine which is instore now, priced £3.50. You can also purchase your copy from our online store here.

The latest edition also features in-depth discussion from Manager Martin Jol, Damien Duff, Sascha Riether, Matthew Briggs, Les Strong, Erik Nevland and Fulham fan and television presenter Millie Clode. We also take a look at the Whites in the 1960s, provide the second instalment of the 100 Men Who Shaped Fulham Football Club, and offer a comprehensive guide to all of the Whites' January transfer window purchases down the years.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/07/steve-wigley-fultime?

WhiteJC

How Philippe Senderos would help Arsenal if he was there now

Philippe Senderos is the perfect example of a no nonsense defender who would aid the current Arsenal defence.

Philippe Senderos has moved on from his Arsenal days and so have the club but given the chance, they may have re-thought on their decision to let him leave as he's a player that could currently aid the Arsenal back four.

If he was there now, then there would not be a problem with communication which was exposed during the defeat away at Tottenham Hotspur.

Senderos was never a typical Arsenal defender in respect of the way he passed the ball out from the back, he was a Tony Adams sort of defender, the player that barks orders at everyone else regardless of their status in the side.

He's a no nonsense type of defender, which is also something that would aid Arsenal at the moment. He doesn't mess around in terms of his decisions, he gets on the ball and boots it into the stand if that's what the situation dictates.

His lack of pace is oddly something which may also aid the current Arsenal side if he was still there. A lack of pace means he has to drop deeper in the back four to compensate for the weakness.

This would have helped in stopping the goals conceded to Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon against Spurs, which came because the defence was too high up the pitch.

He would also add to the imposing physical side of Arsenal's defensive game. He's over six feet tall and his main qualities are built around strength and power.

This is not something that Arsenal lack with Per Mertsesacker and Thomas Vermaelen in the back four, both very big defenders. However, it would ensure that teams have to play the ball on the floor against Arsenal which is arguably easier to contain.

His ability to read the game would also have come in useful for Arsenal and it's one of the reasons he's a first choice centre back for Fulham.

That ability, combined with his communication skills, means he can see things developing before the happen and it's too late. He is good enough to relay that to others and that's something which would help Arsenal if he was still there.

Arsenal's defensive record this season isn't actually too bad but there are faults, which need to be fixed and Senderos is the sort of player they may need in the back four when they go looking for a player this summer.

Arsenal fans, do you think Senderos would make a difference if he was still at your club?

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/03/07/ld-how-philippe-senderos-would-help-arsenal-if-he-was-there-now/

WhiteJC

The Berbatov Paradox

Gliding up through the air just exiting the penalty area, the ball was sent to a certain enigmatic Bulgarian patiently awaiting the header Ryan Shawcross had negotiated away from goal. With a delicious mixture of style and time, the head of Dimitar Berbatov swiftly turned to his right and back again as the ball continued to drop from above, a turn we'd like to believe he made in order to give a sly wink to the pretty girl in the front row at Craven Cottage, who was about to get exactly what she came to see.

With one fluid motion the ball was sent into the top corner without even a sense of effort from Berbatov, dismissing the assumption that this fixture was to be ranked 380th in the imaginary list of the best Premier League games of the season, with neither said truly being able to say they had something to play for. This, it has to be said, could be seen in the other 89 minutes of Dimitar Berbatov's performance.

It's a paradox that's fascinated me ever since I was awakened to his kind of striker, as you say. A languid, frustrating genius capable of equal amounts of brilliance and laziness (could also be surprised as being composed and laid back... kind of) , with the latter often taking a larger proportion, being one option while there was always the more common choice of a hard-working, '7 out of 10' striker a la Bobby Zamora, a man for example would never have a hope of emulating the aforementioned volley, but would have 5 or so scrappy equalisers to compare it with.

So, we know it's more entertaining for the neutrals for Martin Jol to keep his trust in the big Bulgarian, but for the Fulham supporters, would they be happier with your average Premier League striker, or with the technically superb Dimitar Berbatov?

Ten goals so far in first season give reason to the argument that it may be too hard to say just yet, but I'm not sure if that is necessarily true. Recently enough, Fulham joined the esteemed club of Premier League teams I have seen in the flesh, on a freezing cold afternoon at Craven Cottage right at the end of December. Swansea were visiting from South Wales, and in dreary enough conditions, dominated the Fulham side they were set to overtake in the league table. With Spaniard Michu out with a muscle strain, Danny Graham was handed a final chance by Laudrup to impress before an imminent move away in January. Eager to stay at the club who took a large enough punt at taking him out of the Championship, a powerful, hard-working performance was given as his opener initiated a certain Swansea win.

At the other end of the pitch though, you could see a lonely figure, a million miles away from the pressure Danny Graham was feeling, but also a million miles away from the sensation of putting his side in the lead. Among many of the meagre Fulham counter attacks, to which the home fans bravely attempted to get a bit excited, cries of "C'mon Dimitar!" were met with little mutual enthusiasm.

I am of course speaking of that other Berbatov, the one who doesn't bother to drift into a game before he can drift out again. I suppose that may come across overly critical of a player who was without a doubt had a successful career, a wildly successful one compared to his squadmates at present. But talking about his 20 goal league season with United unfortunately will not help Fulham progress under Martin Jol.

There is of course the argument that a player such as Berbatov is one that benefits hugely from a strike partner in the form of exactly the kind of player I've contrasted him with, a robust solid 8 out of 10 performer. After all, his £30 million move to Manchester United was thought to be an excellent idea in Ferguson's mind due to how well Berbatov and Wayne Rooney should've been able to complement each other. While the England striker would exert himself vigorously for the full 90 minutes, while Berbatov would employ his composed style resulting in the two combing to relentlessly break through defences, or so it would have seemed in Alex Ferguson's head.

And in fairness, this silent prophecy came true as United triumphed in the league and taking the runners up label in the Champions League in the 2010/11 season, but a clear lack of confidence from Ferguson in Berbatov then on made it obvious his time at Old Trafford was drawing to a close.

Another example of Berbatov working well in a partnership that should be noted was his incredible final 18 months or so playing alongside Robbie Keane at Tottenham, which gave his price tag reason to grow higher and higher.

But the sad truth that will probably put an end to not just Berbatov's days playing off another striker, but strike partnerships as we know them, is the apparent shift of default tactics in the European game. The age of 4-4-2 is becoming older and limper as the efficience of the 4-2-3-1 dominates the scene, as managers have begun to keep as many attacking talents on the pitch as possible while having numbers in defence, all down to the expulsion of one striker.

The Berbatov we saw winning the Premier League Golden Boot in 2011 or playing gorgeous football in his final days at Spurs, was sadly not just a player in a different time, but it was also a much better player. Every time he passes another penalty into the bottom corner for Fulham, I've started to take it with the knowledge that his formerly endless bag of genius is running out. It's a genius we must appreciate, because it may soon be replaced with a much quicker, robust, average model.

http://backpagefootball.com/the-berbatov-paradox/54806/?

WhiteJC

Fulham down Frei deal while Dougie looks for loans to fill thin squad

There are gaps in Bolton's squad and manager Dougie Freedman wants to fill them ahead of some crucial games for the men in white. There are ten games left in the regular season and Bolton Wanderers are the Championship's form side. In order to keep that run going, it may be necessary for the manager to reinforce the squad.

Fulhmam's Kerim Frei was the name on fan's lips following reports that the Trotters were interested. According to the Bolton News though, Bolton had approached the Cottagers about the 19-year-old's services. Fulham were not interested and, more likely than not, the Trotters will have to look elsewhere.

The area of the team that needs the most attention, it seems, is that advanced central midfield role that Mark Davies will be missing from for some time. However, that brings up some questions of its own. Namely, do we even need to fill that role?

Despite Mark Davies' absence, Bolton still have Darren Pratley, Stu Holden, and Medo Kamara on the books in the central role but none of those options are exactly attacking. Chris Eagles showed over the last couple of games that he can slot in there and it paid dividends at the death against Blackburn. Yet, if Eagles' form decides to drop off again or he picks up a knock, the attacking option suddenly disappears.

Speaking to the Bolton News, Dougie discussed what he needs to do:

"Games are running out quickly, which is unfortunate for us because we're finding a bit of form right now.

"I've not looked at the table because I know that if we can continue playing and I can get a few players in on loan to help the squad - because they are tired right now - we'll climb it.

"I'm not sure how quickly we can climb it because we're running out of games, but we can certainly climb it if I can get a couple in to help the lads."

The following sentence is a bit interesting:

"I need to use my squad very carefully. It's not as big as I thought it was when I first got here."

In what terms? There are technically 37 names registered to play for the first team but a number of those names are youth / reserve players with no first team experience (like Sanmi Odelusi, Tom Eaves, Andy Kellett, etc). Some, like Adam Bogdan, Mark Davies, Matt Mills, and Keith Andrews are injured. Then, there are those seemingly out of favor like Tim Ream. Finally, there are a few players still coming back from injury that are apparently unable to start matches like Stu Holden and David Wheaer.

"We have got one or two injuries and we have lost one or two players since then, and right enough it was my decision to lose a couple of them.

"But we just need to make sure we have the right set-up week in, week out. Do I need to go into the loan market? I probably do to freshen things up."

The loan window closes on 24 March, right in the middle of an international break with six days before Bolton visit Charlton.

http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2013/3/7/4074398/fulham-down-frei-deal-while-dougie-looks-for-loans-to-fill-thin-squad?

WhiteJC

Top 10 Target

After the point at Sunderland moved Fulham up to 10th in the table, John Arne Riise is out to ensure the Whites finish the campaign in the top half of the Barclays Premier League.

Fulham's improved form has seen the Whites steadily climb the division and the 2-2 draw at Sunderland saw Martin Jol's men move into the top half for the first time since November.

And Riise is keen to see that recent run continue as Fulham attempt to finish the season on a high.

"There are seven points between us and West Bromwich Albion in ninth which is a big gap," Riise told the official website. "I think the most important thing is to keep going as we are. We haven't lost for a while now and we're performing better as a team.

"We'd definitely be happy to finish in the top 10 as we had that spell where we were struggling a few months ago and couldn't get a win."

It could have been even better than a draw for Fulham at the Stadium of Light, with the Whites leading 2-0 through Dimitar Berbatov and Sascha Riether, only for the Black Cats to hit back and take a share of the spoils.

"Those are the type of games you feel you have a chance of winning, especially when you go 2-0 up," said Riise. "We expected to win from that point as we were playing well and were in control of the game.

"But in the last 15 minutes we didn't play our best and we lost our shape a bit so we were happy to take a point after that.

"Before the game, we'd probably have taken a point but we were all disappointed afterwards to have only got a draw."

Riise's fellow full-back Riether got his first goal for the Club when he tapped home from close range after a typically lung-busting run from one end of the pitch to the other.

"Both me and him like to get on the counter attack from opposition corners and free-kicks," said Riise. "If the goalkeeper gets the ball, we're quick to get forward as we can smell the chance of an attack on the other goal. Sascha did well to get down the left-hand side and tap it in and I almost did the same in the second half.

"As a team, we have two very offensive full-backs and I've been impressed by Sascha. He doesn't make many mistakes and gives 100 per cent in every game."

While Riether got off the mark for the Whites, Fulham fans are still waiting to see Riise's name on the scoresheet.

"So am I!" he smiled. "I don't think I can get any closer than I have in the last year and a half. But I'm feeling good and I think once I get that first goal, I'll get a few more quickly after that. I just need that first one and I've had a friendly bet with a few of the boys that I will score before the end of the season."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/07/top-ten-target?

WhiteJC

Riise delighted with Riether partnership

Fulham defender John Arne Riise believes fellow full-back Sascha Riether has settled in well at Craven Cottage.

Riether grabbed his first goal for Fulham in the 2-2 draw at Sunderland last time out and Riise was delighted to see his team-mate hit the target.

The Norwegian defender feels both he and Riether cause problems for the opposition and is pleased with the understanding he has with his defensive partner.

"Both me and him like to get on the counter attack from opposition corners and free-kicks," Riise told the club's official website. "If the goalkeeper gets the ball, we're quick to get forward as we can smell the chance of an attack on the other goal. Sascha did well to get down the left-hand side and tap it in and I almost did the same in the second half.

"As a team, we have two very offensive full-backs and I've been impressed by Sascha. He doesn't make many mistakes and gives 100 per cent in every game."

Riether is currently on loan at Fulham from German side Cologne but has admitted he would welcome the chance to make the switch permanent in the summer.

Riise is yet to score for Fulham since he joined the club in the summer of 2011 but the former Liverpool and Roma defender hopes he won't have to wait too much longer to break his duck.

He added: "I don't think I can get any closer than I have in the last year and a half. But I'm feeling good and I think once I get that first goal, I'll get a few more quickly after that. I just need that first one and I've had a friendly bet with a few of the boys that I will score before the end of the season."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/riise-delighted-with-riether-partnership-1557414.html?