more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (08/03/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 08, 2013, 06:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

John Arne Riise "happy" with top 10

Fulham left-back John Arne Riise has admitted that he would be "happy" to finish in the Premier League's top 10 this season following the poor run of form earlier in the campaign.

Riise said that the team is now performing much better and they are aiming to close the seven-point gap to West Bromwich Albion in ninth.

"There are seven points between us and West Bromwich Albion in ninth which is a big gap," Riise told Fulham's official website.

"I think the most important thing is to keep going as we are. We haven't lost for a while now and we're performing better as a team.

"We'd definitely be happy to finish in the top 10 as we had that spell where we were struggling a few months ago and couldn't get a win."

Riise has played 24 times for Fulham this season, but has yet to score for the club.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/riise-happy-with-top-10_72912.html

WhiteJC

FACT: Fulham players best at passing in the final third. Everton, Wigan & Manchester United close behind

Passing: the most dominant aspect of football. Whether is short, long or chipped; all managers are obsessed with getting players on board who can adapt a system involving passing the ball. We thought it might be interesting to look at which players in the Premier League are most successful at passing in the final third. Note that we have only included players with more than 100 passes in the areas 4,9 & 13 here. Let's have a look...

5. Antonio Valencia – Manchester United (87%)

4. Leighton Baines – Everton (88%)

3. Shaun Maloney – Wigan Athletic (89%)

2. Damien Duff – Fulham (92%)

1. Sascha Riether – Fulham (93%)

It's fascinating to see that Fulham have two players at the top of this list and even more fascinating that they are on opposite side. The logical deduction would be that Martin Jol send his team out lop-sided in terms of attacking intent from the full-bacl position

By Nic English

http://blog.squawka.com/2013/03/07/fact-fulham-players-best-at-passing-in-the-final-third-everton-wigan-manchester-united-close-behind/?

WhiteJC

Cookie Aid

In a week whereby news has been scarce, probably because we`re not involved in any action this weekend, we`ve a lovely little snippet for you with a human touch.

It appears that Chris Coleman, one of the few individuals to both play and manage our club, did a Good Samaritan act.

Going about his daily business, Chris stumbled upon an elderly woman who had been reported as missing. Chris noticed she was a little confused and looked after her until the Police arrived and could take her back to her home.

It`s nice to see there are some individuals out there with a caring touch still!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=311840#ixzz2MvXYqT3o

WhiteJC

Bolton U18s 1 Fulham U18s 4

Fulham Under-18s continued their fine form with a comprehensive 4-1 win at Bolton Wanderers on Wednesday.

Steve Wigley's side made it six victories from six as they maintained their place at the top of the Barclays Premier League Under-18 Elite Group.

In spite of the cold and windy conditions, Fulham made a bright start with Solomon Sambou drilling in the opener after just 10 minutes following some clever approach play.

Moussa Dembele and Muamer Tankovic both went close to extending the lead, with Patrick Robertsand Jordan Evans causing the home side problems out on the flanks.

Fulham were rewarded with a second on 30 minutes, with Tankovic and Roberts combining smartly, before the latter was felled in the Bolton box. Tankovic stepped up and converted the penalty with customary composure.

The Whites started the second half strongly, and had a third 10 minutes in when Roberts met an inviting pass from Tankovic before firing a fine low shot across the Bolton goalkeeper.

The Trotters did pull one back, but Fulham's three-goal difference was restored when Evans smashed in from close range after meeting Liam Donnelly's pin-point cross on 80 minutes.

"It was a comfortable performance from the boys," said Academy Director Huw Jennings to fulhamfc.com. "They played in some difficult conditions, so it was good to see them produce such a positive showing. In fact, for a 20-minute spell in the second half, we played as good football as I have ever seen at Under-18 level.

"Bolton's staff were very complimentary too, so that was nice to hear. However, we got a little sloppy at one point, so the boys will need to look at that. But, all in all it was very good performance.

"Six straight wins is obviously very pleasing too, and the team is doing very well at the moment. We also had three Under-16 players out there today, which was good to see. The Under-21s have won their last two games as well, and with a few of our Under-18 boys included, it's good time right now. It certainly bodes well for the future."

Fulham Under-18s return to league action on Saturday when they make the trip to Reading (11am).

Fulham Under-18s: Oberschmidt; Donnelly, O'Reilly, Burgess, Richards (Smile 75); Roberts (Leacock-Mcleod 80), Sambou, Hyndman, Evans; Tankovic; Dembele (Williams 70)

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/07/u18s-bolton?

WhiteJC

A Great Chance For Arsenal, But Martin Jol Must Remain Focused...

Goal.com are reporting that Fulham may make a summer move for Arsenal's forgotten man, Andrey Arshavin.

With Lukas Podolski, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho and Aaron Ramsey all preferred to the diminutive Russian on the left of Arsenal's midfield, Arshavin has not started a single Premier League game this season.

Arshavin has been frozen out at the Emirates ever since his own fans made him a scapegoat for the Gunners' poor form midway through last season. He was criticised for his lack of effort and subsequently loaned back to his first club, Zenit St Petersburg. After a promising Euro 2012 with Russia, who Arshavin shone for despite their early exit, there was hope that Arsene Wenger may give him a second chance with Arsenal.

However, it is now clear that there is no way back for Arshavin, having only played 79 minutes of league football all season. Arshavin has always stated his love for the London lifestyle, and would prefer to stay in the capital if a move became available.

With a switch to Chelsea or Spurs out of the question, West Ham playing a more industrial brand of football, and Reading and Queens Park Rangers not guaranteed Premier League status next season, Fulham are the most likely alternative.

A move for Arshavin would be seen as a gamble to most by Martin Jol, but an experienced international is certainly what the dressing room at Craven Cottage needs. With players such as Kerim Frei, Ashkan Dejagah and Pajtim Kasami to nurture, Arshavin could become an ideal role model for the next generation at Craven Cottage to push on and develop even further.

Perhaps the most exciting prospect for Fulham fans and neutrals alike would be a front three of Dimitar Berbatov, Bryan Ruiz and Arshavin.

With Arshavin already 31 years old, he realistically has two more years at the top level of the game. A move to Fulham would represent the best chance for the Arsenal outcast to remain in Russia coach Fabio Capello's thoughts for the World Cup in Brazil in 2014.

http://threeandin.com/2013/03/07/a-great-chance-for-arsenal-but-martin-jol-must-remain-focused/?

WhiteJC

Liverpool Target Dries Mertens and Fulham-Chased Nacer Chadli Ready For Premier League Says Kevin Mirallas

Everton striker Kevin Mirallas has backed his countrymen Dries Mertens and Nacer Chadli to flourish in the English Premier League.

A number of Belgian talents are lighting up England's top flight, with Mirallas just one of those making his presence felt.

And the number of Belgium internationals plying their trade alongside Mirallas and co. in England could grow in time for the 2013/14 campaign.

PSV Eindhoven winger Mertens has been linked with Everton's rivals Liverpool on several occasions; if he landed at Anfield he would come face to face with Mirallas in the fiercely contested Merseyside derby.

FC Twente star Chadli, another who plays primarily as a winger, has also seen himself linked with heading to England, with in his case Fulham the mooted destination.

And Mirallas thinks that both would indeed cut the mustard.

"I cannot say who Everton should sign, but there are some good Belgian players", he told Belgian daily Het Nieuwsblad.

"Dries Mertens and Nacer Chadli for example.

"Mertens is a left or right winger and Chadli can play anywhere across the midfield.

"They both can make it in the Premier League."

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/03/08/liverpool-target-dries-mertens-and-fulham-chased-nacer-chadli-ready-for-premier-league-says-kevin-mirallas/80828/#myIwl6ezUHmiJbra.99

WhiteJC

U21s' Ewood Park Trip

Fulham's Under-21s will be aiming for a third straight win when they head to Blackburn Rovers on Friday evening (7pm).

Successive victories over Aston Villa and Chelsea have moved the Whites up to fourth place in Group 1 of the Barclays U21 Premier League table and Kit Symons will be hoping his side can continue their recent good form at Ewood Park.

Against Chelsea at the Cottage on Friday, the Whites hit the woodwork three times, but Lasse Vigen Christensen's second-half strike proved enough to secure the win over the Blues who saw Lewis Baker dismissed late on for a bad challenge on Chris David.

"Overall, I think we deserved the win," said Symons afterwards. "It's just disappointing that we didn't score more because we should have had three or four.

"It's nice to get the win against Chelsea, the boys know what games with them are all about. They secured the SW6 bragging rights I suppose."

Blackburn have won two of their six fixtures of Phase 2, but threw away a two-goal lead to go down to a 3-2 defeat at Everton in their last match.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/08/u21s-ewood-park-trip?

WhiteJC

Kacaniklic rules out Fulham exit

ALEX Kacaniklic hopes his loan spell at Burnley will boost his chances of cementing a place in the Fulham first team.

The Swedish star joined the Championship Clarets last week after falling down the pecking order at Craven Cottage following the January arrival of Urby Emanuelson.

Kacaniklic had been a regular for Martin Jol's men this season, making 19 appearances and scoring crucial goals against Norwich, Arsenal and West Brom.

However, he hasn't featured for Fulham since the FA Cup defeat at Manchester United on January 26.

The 21-year-old benefited from a loan spell at Watford last season, where he played under Burnley boss Sean Dyche, and Kacaniklic hopes his stint at Turf Moor will have a similar effect.

He told the Chronicle: "It's been a good season. I've made 12 starts in the Premier League and scored three goals.

"I've also made my debut for the national team and managed to get a couple of MoMs.

"But I feel I need to be playing to continue my progress, which is why I came here.

"The manager brought players in and I haven't featured since. I was on the bench for four or five games but didn't get any minutes.

"I'm not happy when I'm not playing and wanted to go out on loan.

"I have some important games for Sweden later this month and I wanted to make sure I kept my fitness up.

"We have a crucial qualifier against Ireland and a friendly against Slovakia as well, so I wanted to find somewhere to play."

Dyche this week joked he would splash his own cash if there was a chance of landing Kacaniklic on a permanent deal in the summer.

But the youngster, who still has a year remaining on his contract, has ruled out leaving SW6 for good.

"I am happy at Fulham," he added. "My target is to play every week and become one of their main players.

"But I've got a better chance of first-team football here at the moment. They have a lot of games still to play, so that's why I wanted to come to Burnley.

"It's also an opportunity to show the Fulham manager what I can do. Hopefully I can get some goals and assists and help the team."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/03/08/82029-32944061/?#ixzz2MwWNZxcg

WhiteJC

Gornik keeper watched by Fulham

Fulham scout Brian Talbot has been in Poland to scout several young players including Gornik Zabrze keeper Lukasz Skorupski.

Talbot attended several matches in Poland last month when the Ekstraklasa competition resumed after the winter break and was spotted by a jounalist from the local Sport newspaper at Gornik's 1-0 home win over Piast Gliwice.

The former Arsenal midfielder, who has been on Fulham's scouting staff since 2011, revealed he was there to check on two players who he had identified from the Polish Under-21s, Skorupski and Piast defender Mateusz Matras - and midfielder Konrad Nowak - a teenager who had been playing regularly for Gornik.

But he then admitted that none of them had particularly impressed him on the night and he was now more interested in Gornik's Pawel Olkowski - a right-sided midfielder or full back.

Talbot will report his findings to Fulham boss Martin Jol and the manager will send a member of the coaching staff with him for a second look if he wishes to follow up on any of the players.

Gornik keeper Skorupski, 21, was on the bench for Poland's 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw with England in September and is being tipped to follow in the footsteps of other talented Polish keepers to one of the bigger leagues in the next couple of years.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/gornik-keeper-watched-by-fulham-1557541.html?

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace U18s stage super comeback but Fulham hold on

PALACE U18s narrowly lost to league leaders Fulham on Saturday morning.

Fulham took the lead after five minutes when their towering centre-back rose to head home from a corner, but the young Eagles responded brilliantly and dominated the rest of the half.

The deserved equaliser came after 25 minutes. Elijah Gabsi clipped a lovely pass in behind for right-back Ali Gordon, who cut the ball to Jake Gray to fire across goal to Derek Tieku, who finished from close range.

Javen Palmer looked to have put Palace ahead but his effort off the crossbar and what looked over the line was not given. Tieku then had a goal correctly disallowed following a terrific run from left-back Jerome Williams.

Fulham pushed into a 3-1 lead in the second half before a strong fightback from Palace almost earned a draw.

Fifteen-year-old Corie Andrews pulled a goal back with an excellent finish and then slipped in Tieku but his shot went over.

Andrews then surged into the area following great approach play from fellow 15-year-old Mandela Egbo, but the referee waved away the penalty claims and Fulham held on for the win.

Eagles coach Ben Turner said: "We had five players starting in our U21 game so it opened up some opportunities for others.

"Our first half performance was excellent and I was very impressed with our possession."

Meanwhile, Jerome Williams came on at half-time after being called up to the England U18 squad for their game against Belgium on Wednesday night, but they lost 1-0.

Read more: http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/story-18354198-detail/story.html?#ixzz2MwWsDvdz
Follow us: @thisiscroydon on Twitter | thisiscroydontoday on Facebook

WhiteJC

Purist Jol wants Fulham to win with style

The Dutchman's second season at Craven Cottage has brought its fair share of problems, but now he is building another attacking team around the inspired Dimitar Berbatov

EXCLUSIVE
By Liam Twomey

Martin Jol has always been a man with a good eye for the beautiful game. A combative midfielder in a playing career which included spells with West Brom and Coventry in the 1980s, he was nevertheless raised in the Dutch culture of 'Total Football'. Since entering into the world of management, it is a philosophy he has adhered to unwaveringly, and one which has drawn him inexorably back to England – first with Tottenham, and now with Fulham.

"I try to play attractive, attacking football," he tells Goal.com. "I've been brought up in a country where the midfielders and full-backs all go forward, so there are not a lot of players in my team who can't be creative. That is what I did before in England, Germany and Holland, and that is what I'm trying to do at Fulham."

Despite ultimately being undone by the infamous 'Lasagne-gate' in their quest for Champions League football on the final day of the 2005-06 season, Jol's swashbuckling Spurs side is still remembered fondly at White Hart Lane. Fulham fans, too, have been thrilled by the realisation of his vision.

Last season, boasting the flair of Bryan Ruiz and Mousa Dembele, the metronomic passing of Danny Murphy and the clinical finishing of Clint Dempsey, the Cottagers at times lit up the Premier League, as Jol transformed the pragmatic and disciplined outfit built by Roy Hodgson into something no less effective but all the more attractive, and claimed a ninth-place finish in the Premier League.

But success brings its own problems. Dempsey and Dembele were poached by Spurs, while Murphy spurned a new contract to seek pastures new, and Jol found himself having to start again.

"It's been difficult, because we lost our best players as a result of clauses and ambition," he admits. "Last season we made a lot of changes and had a terrific team, but then last summer we lost a few key players and had to build a new one."

To fill the void, in came veteran playmaker Giorgios Karagounis, strikers Mladen Petric and Hugo Rodallega and, on deadline day, Dimitar Berbatov, swayed by the bond he forged with Jol at Tottenham. Disenfranchised at Manchester United, the classy Bulgarian appears to have rediscovered his joie de vivre at Craven Cottage, scoring 10 goals in 23 league appearances and papering over the cracks of an injury-hit midfield by filling in with distinction as a No.10.

And Jol is in no doubt as to his star striker's importance. "When people talk about Robin van Persie at Manchester United, they talk about a player who followed in his footsteps, because Dimitar was at United and he was their top scorer," he continues.

"I don't like to compare players, but Dimitar was very important to Manchester United. Van Persie is in his prime. He's in unbelievable form at a good age. Dimitar, at 32, is a bit older, but I feel he's just as important to us.

"When you watch him in training and sometimes in matches, he's quicker than you think. He's quicker than 90 per cent of the other players in the Premier League. But he's a bit different – he plays like you or I would play in the park. He looks so laid back, but he's so gifted that everything looks easy for him."

For all Berbatov's heroics, however, the rebuilding process has been a painful one. After a promising start, Fulham finished 2012 on a run of just one win in 12 matches, and the New Year looked likely to yield little more than a relegation battle.

Dembele's poise and Dempsey's goals were missed, while Ruiz's absence through injury also stifled the team's creativity, and Jol freely admits he has had trouble finding his best side. "Diarra and Ruiz were injured, and between the 10th and 20th games I couldn't find the right balance to the team," he concedes. "I was changing it all the time, and we were punished for it."

The outlook is markedly brighter now though. Victories over West Brom, West Ham and Stoke eased Fulham clear of the relegation zone, and Saturday's impressive 2-2 away draw with Sunderland has seen them sneak into the top half. If the recovery continues, they may well stay there.

Jol himself seems a contented man, and has confirmed he and his family are looking to settle in London, having lived in England, Germany and Holland over the last decade. Earlier this week, Goal.com exclusively revealed the Dutchman has re-opened talks with the club over the possibility of a one-year extension to his current contract, which expires this summer.

Fulham, too, have plans, with another summer of spending in prospect and a green-lighted brand new Riverside Stand set to boost the capacity of Craven Cottage to 30,000.

But Jol's eyes, as ever, are focused fully on the pitch. "I would like to get back to the fantastic football we played last year," he confirms. "If you want to play this football you need the right players, but I think we have them. My ambition is to develop a few youngsters, and we've got Matthew Briggs, Kerim Frei and Alex Kacaniklic at the moment.

"Hopefully with them, combined with the older players, we'll have a very good side to be successful with. We're aiming to be in the top 10 for the next decade, and beyond that, you never know. Last year, with the team we had, we could have been top six. Within the next two years we want to be in Europe again. The future looks bright for us."

Martin Jol was speaking on behalf of Barclays Ticket Office. Every 90 minutes throughout the season, Barclays is offering fans the chance to win free tickets to Barclays Premier League matches by going to a Barclays ATM and requesting a receipt, or by visiting www.barclaysticketoffice.com

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/03/08/3788252/-?

WhiteJC

Five contenders to sign Brede Hangeland on a free

Brede Hangeland is out of contract at the end of the season which means he could be available for free if Fulham can't sign him on a longer deal. Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool are among those who should take a look.

Brede Hangeland is a very solid and very imposing centre back who could do a job for any of the top clubs in the Premier League. If Fulham can't get him to agree to a new deal, here are five clubs who could sign him.

Arsenal

Arsenal could well go after him to add even more height, power and experience to their backline. Arsenal will be looking to make changes this summer and this is a good potential deal for Arsene Wenger who has been reluctant to spend money in recent summers.

Everton

Everton is an obvious choice considering they're likely to be in Europe next season and the fact they don't have a huge budget to blow. The only deal they would have to work out is a wage packet and there is a clear place for him in the side in and around Sylvain Distin and Phil Jagielka.

Liverpool

With Jamie Carragher retiring at the end of the season, Liverpool will need to bring in a high quality centre back who can fill that void. They may also lose Martin Skrtel in the summer so someone of Hangeland's build and type would be ideal for propping up the Liverpool back four.

Manchester United

United are another option for him because they have been strongly linked with him in the past. The only thing which may put him off is the fact he doesn't have a guaranteed place in the team at Old Trafford as there are so many good young defenders in the side already.

Newcastle United

Fabricio Coloccini could well be on his way back to Argentina this summer which means there's an opening in their back four if it happens. Hangeland is the exact sort of leader and defender who would replace the stability and consistency that Coloccini offered Newcastle.

Where do you think he'll go if Fulham don't keep him?

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/03/08/ld-five-clubs-that-could-sign-brede-hangeland-for-free/?