Started by tonynorton, March 12, 2013, 02:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Inglis

Reading:
Le Fondre, Pearce and maybe their young goalkeeper McCarthy
Wigan: Kone and McCarthy
Southampton: Lallana and Ramirez
Villa: Benteke
Sunderland: Fletcher, Larsson and Gardner although they'd all be a step sideways
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

Enter the Frei

Kone, Mcarthey and Maloney from Wigan

Lallana, Luke Shaw maybe Ramirez, but not the perfect signing for our side.

I'd take Guzan, Vlaar and Benteke from Villa and wouldn't want anyone at all from QPR or Reading

Guzan, Vlaar and Mcarthey would be great signings for us IMO.

DJinNJ

Agree with a couple of posters that there's no one from Reading. This is a team that Kelly walked into. Nothing against Kelly, but presumably we're talking about players that can help us move forward, not backups. Le Fondre? Really? It seems he's still behind Pogbrebnyak, who was a good stopgap for us but not good enough for the long term. It's a nice story that he's getting his 15 minutes of fame, but I don't think he has a long term future in the PL.

In general, the better players on the relegated teams get a bit overhyped. I think Adam and Hoilett were the most coveted players the last couple of seasons, and both flopped (as did their teams, as overpaying for players that looked good when surrounded by the worst teams in the league may have been symptomatic of Liverpool's and QPR's poor decision making in general). Jarvis and Fletcher are examples too, both have done okay but not worth £10m+. I see the logic in looking at players who are good enough for the PL but find themselves on a Championship team, but you do have to ask yourself whether this player would be worthwhile if not for the apparent opportunity for a good deal. Ironically, the team's relegation may spark interest in the player, and rather than finding a deal on a player who wants out of the Championship, you overpay for a player who is getting more attention than his actual ability warrants.

That said, QPR have brought in enough players that one or two of them must be worthy of staying in the PL, and if they are at all settled in West London we might have an advantage. Obviously, there's Remy, Samba, and Cesar, but, aside from the potential wages being too high, they may be precisely the type of overhyped player that gets overpriced. If only for the sake of bringing up a new name, what about Granero? I know he's not getting playing time on the bottom team in the league, but that's not necessarily down to a lack of quality. Of course, if it's down to attitude that's not much better (I wouldn't want Taarabt for instance), but he might also just be a bit frustrated. I don't think he was prepared to go from Real Madrid to a relegation battle... and I think he thought there would be more quality around him (to be fair, he wasn't the only one who was fooled by Hughes in this regard). Not that we're immune from a relegation battle, but if we finish a respectable 10th and look to push on as planned toward the European places he might be a good fit. We have a good track record of bringing in 30 year olds who used to play for big teams (Murphy, Duff, Berbatov) and getting their careers back on track, even better if we can do it with a 25 year old, right? And it seems like he was billed as the same sort of player as Murphy, so he could certainly fill a need.

Still, can't say I've seen enough of him to judge if he's really good enough or not. Like many people, I mainly have the Real Madrid connection to suggest there must be something there, but it also seems they weren't exactly reluctant to let him go. But he does tick a few boxes to make him a reasonable target, if our staff watched him and thought he was good enough to go for I'd be on board.

Enter the Frei

DJ Granero is a fantastic shout, if theres any chance we could afford his wages I'd love him at Fulham. Cultured player and would suit the style of football we play much better than he does QPR.

jmh

Quote from: DJinNJ on March 12, 2013, 10:02:32 PM
Agree with a couple of posters that there's no one from Reading. This is a team that Kelly walked into. Nothing against Kelly, but presumably we're talking about players that can help us move forward, not backups. Le Fondre? Really? It seems he's still behind Pogbrebnyak, who was a good stopgap for us but not good enough for the long term. It's a nice story that he's getting his 15 minutes of fame, but I don't think he has a long term future in the PL.
I don't see why the fact that Reading didn't have a Premiership-caliber right back means the rest of their players aren't any good either.  When Newcastle went down in 2009, a lot of their players were pretty cruddy, but I'm certainly glad that we didn't let that stop us from signing Duff. 

HatterDon

Quote from: Enter the Frei on March 12, 2013, 10:09:16 PM
DJ Granero is a fantastic shout, if theres any chance we could afford his wages I'd love him at Fulham. Cultured player and would suit the style of football we play much better than he does QPR.

I loved his work with the Too Live Crew
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Markffc123

Sunderland-sessegnon

Southampton-Lallana,James ward prowse(decent prospect),Schneiderlin probly has been there player of the season

Aston Villa-Benteke,Agbonlahor(On his day he could scare anybody)

Wigan-Jordi Gomez(Useful),Kone Hit and Miss Player along with Di Santo but i would not have him

Reading-None

QPHAHA-None

DJinNJ

Quote from: jmh on March 12, 2013, 10:20:13 PM
Quote from: DJinNJ on March 12, 2013, 10:02:32 PM
I don't see why the fact that Reading didn't have a Premiership-caliber right back means the rest of their players aren't any good either.  When Newcastle went down in 2009, a lot of their players were pretty cruddy, but I'm certainly glad that we didn't let that stop us from signing Duff. 

Fair point, and of course Kelly was good enough to start for us not long ago, so him starting for them doesn't prove anything about the rest of the squad. So addressing Le Fondre alone, I just don't think a few goals as a super sub prove very much. Never know though.

Absolutely agree about Duff, a good example of a shrewd buy from a relegated team. He hadn't had the best season and we got a good deal for him. Everyone can identify the top players on these teams, but their stock will be high even though their team was relegated. The players who had off-seasons (but aren't washed up of course) will offer the best deals.

FFC1987

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on March 12, 2013, 07:30:30 PM
After some of the comments on here, I feel some of you have never watched these players play.

Out of the teams likely to go down, presumably, Southampton, Aston Villa, Wigan, Reading and QPR. I would take:

Adam Lallana of Southampton, he's a gifted passer of the ball and a very creative midfield player. Usually deployed on the left of midfield or behind the striker but I think he has the ability to sit and pull and the strings.

Luke Shaw of Southampton, this isn't realistic but this kid really is the long term successor to Ashley Cole. At 17, you won't find any defender better than him at that age. He can defend and attack, with his decision making being first class considering his inexperience.

Morgan Schniderlein, excuse the spelling, also from Southampton. A really under rated defensive midfielder, Sniderlein can break up play and read the game very well and has a decent passing ability. Can also pop up with a goal.

Andreas Weimann, in the summer, Darren Bent said (while Weimann was still for the majority in the u21s) that Weimann is the best natural finisher he's seen for a long time. Perhaps not the best, and perhaps the quote was taken out of context but he is a very good striker and will only get better.

I don't watch enough of Wigan to comment but I've heard both McArthur and McArthy are bright central midfielders, and both Danny Murphy esque. Wigan are such a mixed bag it's hard to judge them, one game they will be poor and lose 4-0 and the next they win 3-0, so it's difficult to get an overall judgement.

I would take no one from Reading, I don't think any player they have would improve our squad.

From QPR, any players I would take, wouldn't be feasible, like Loic Remy and like Chris Samba.

Having watched the Saints on many occasions this year (my girlfriend is a supporter...boooo) I can confirm that the two players you mentioned would be good enough ie. Shaw and Lallana but we have near to no chance of getting them. Shaw will go to a team like Arsenal and Lallana will either stay and try and help them progress or will go to a team like Newcastle (who he was previously linked with) My humble opinion is neither will go for us. Regarding Sniderlin, I haven't seen anything from him to think he is better than what we currently have, I know he's been decent for them in some games, maybe I'm being fussy but I haven't seen Enoh yet but on reports from others who have, I'd say he comes across as the better player. Frimpong in my opinion is better for us in the long term.

I've also had the pleasure of watching Villa at least 4 times this year and can say Weimann would be an ok signing and definitly one to nurture but again haven't seen anything to say he would progress further than say a few of our young guns in the u21's. (yes he has scored a few in the PL whilst playing every week but I haven't seen anything else from him ie pace, passing ability, ability to hold up play or even the correct runs to make) However, if it was to further him by nurturing him and adding him to the squad, then yes he would be on my list.

Le fondre is a funny one, clearly he knows where the net is, but he's not starting because he either doesn't fit the style of play or he offers nothing but perhaps a goal in the later stages. I'd treat him like Weimann tbh.

Granero, is a player who shows ability but everytime I've seen him play, he seems like he doesn't want to be there. If you can sort his attitude and wages out, he might be a good BUT I wouldn't personally due to this attitude.

If we could have one player and one player only, for me, it has to be Kone but I think its somewhat unrealistic.

A Humble Man

I hope Jol has learnt from buying Rodallega that the players in the lower placed teams are their because they are not much good.

Stick to the players he knows in the Leagues he knows or really on his best scouts.

We Are Fulham, Believe.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: A Humble Man on March 13, 2013, 12:46:37 PM

I hope Jol has learnt from buying Rodallega that the players in the lower placed teams are their because they are not much good.

Stick to the players he knows in the Leagues he knows or really on his best scouts.

Thought Rodallega was on a free.

Also, at some point, a team like Fulham has to have Rodallega-like players. Our wage structure won't allow us to overpay for squad players, which, as long as Berba and Ruiz are pairing successfully, Rodallega is. Personally, it's difficult to judge the quality of our forwards fully this season and within our squad. Our ability to deliver decent service to our attacking players has been horrible for long stretches of games. We've only just begun to get some sense of ourselves again and Hugo hasn't even sniffed the field with a more confident team around him.

He's a good player and good enough to be on our team. Unfortunately for him, we're still scrapping to separate ourselves from the relegation fight and Jol just isn't going to mess with what's beginning to gel.

I'll save judgement until he's gotten playing time with a stable squad.

Also, I'd take any of the Southampton kids mentioned, especially Shaw and Lallana. Like most, I believe Benteke is just a pipe-dream. Doesn't mean I wouldn't take him thought.  :54: I'd take Guzan in a heartbeat.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

A Humble Man

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on March 13, 2013, 01:31:53 PM

Also, at some point, a team like Fulham has to have Rodallega-like players. Our wage structure won't allow us to overpay for squad players, which, as long as Berba and Ruiz are pairing successfully, Rodallega is. Personally, it's difficult to judge the quality of our forwards fully this season and within our squad. Our ability to deliver decent service to our attacking players has been horrible for long stretches of games. We've only just begun to get some sense of ourselves again and Hugo hasn't even sniffed the field with a more confident team around him.

He's a good player and good enough to be on our team. Unfortunately for him, we're still scrapping to separate ourselves from the relegation fight and Jol just isn't going to mess with what's beginning to gel.

Also, I'd take any of the Southampton kids mentioned, especially Shaw and Lallana. Like most, I believe Benteke is just a pipe-dream. Doesn't mean I wouldn't take him thought.  :54: I'd take Guzan in a heartbeat.

Last season Wigan had a better midfield that we have this season and he did not score much for them.  Bargains like Moussa are still available but not in the bottom reaches of the Premier League.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: A Humble Man on March 13, 2013, 01:54:32 PM

Last season Wigan had a better midfield that we have this season and he did not score much for them.  Bargains like Moussa are still available but not in the bottom reaches of the Premier League.

My only point is that there is not much of a body of work within the context of Fulham to fully judge him. I didn't make a point of watching Wigan (at all) last season, so I cannot speak to that. There are more questions to ask when making the comparison between the two situations than "is our midfield, on paper, better or worse than Wigan's".

I don't think there are many bargains within the bottom reaches of the PL either, but Rodallega wasn't paid for. He was on a free. Fulham were obviously avoiding paying transfer fees whereever they could in the summer and January. They have their reasons, I'm sure. At the moment, we aren't paying tranfer fees for anyone but total bargains like Berba who we know will come good within the confines of our league and for youngsters. I hope that changes in the summer, but I wouldn't bet on it.

A Humble Man

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on March 13, 2013, 03:04:27 PM

My only point is that there is not much of a body of work within the context of Fulham to fully judge him. I didn't make a point of watching Wigan (at all) last season, so I cannot speak to that. There are more questions to ask when making the comparison between the two situations than "is our midfield, on paper, better or worse than Wigan's".

I don't think there are many bargains within the bottom reaches of the PL either, but Rodallega wasn't paid for. He was on a free. Fulham were obviously avoiding paying transfer fees whereever they could in the summer and January. They have their reasons, I'm sure. At the moment, we aren't paying tranfer fees for anyone but total bargains like Berba who we know will come good within the confines of our league and for youngsters. I hope that changes in the summer, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Perhaps three of the loan signings will become permanent and Jol will have money to spend because a lot of restructuring will take place with at least six out and six or more in.  Jol does not like the January window as few players are available because of contract dates and those that are overpriced because of the sparsity of them. 
We Are Fulham, Believe.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: A Humble Man on March 13, 2013, 05:10:17 PM

Perhaps three of the loan signings will become permanent and Jol will have money to spend because a lot of restructuring will take place with at least six out and six or more in.  Jol does not like the January window as few players are available because of contract dates and those that are overpriced because of the sparsity of them. 

Aside from selling clubs, I'm not so sure that anyone likes the January window.

Our January loanies are Manolev, Emanuelson, Enoh,and Frimpong. I would be surprised if Jol doesn't sign Manolev and Enoh. I would be surprised if Emanuelson does anything beyond waving from the window of his plane on the way back to Milan. Finally, I would be surprised if we got Frimpong on anything more than just another season's loan. Jol said he would definitely sign Frimpong on loan if he had the opportunity. That was soon spun into "Arsenal are moving on without him and Fulham have the inside track".

If the above happens out of the January window, I'd be pleased based upon what I've seen of Manolev and what Jol has stated about Enoh.

If we do happen to somehow swing Frimpong on a free, that'd be a great bit of business. I wouldn't be unhappy, for sure.

A Humble Man

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on March 13, 2013, 05:21:54 PM

Our January loanies are Manolev, Emanuelson, Enoh,and Frimpong. I would be surprised if Jol doesn't sign Manolev and Enoh. I would be surprised if Emanuelson does anything beyond waving from the window of his plane on the way back to Milan. Finally, I would be surprised if we got Frimpong on anything more than just another season's loan. Jol said he would definitely sign Frimpong on loan if he had the opportunity. That was soon spun into "Arsenal are moving on without him and Fulham have the inside track".

If the above happens out of the January window, I'd be pleased based upon what I've seen of Manolev and what Jol has stated about Enoh.

If we do happen to somehow swing Frimpong on a free, that'd be a great bit of business. I wouldn't be unhappy, for sure.

Frimpong will be out of contract in the summer and Arsenal may not want him so we may sign him on a free.  He will need to calm down though or he will be a disciplinary nightmare.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: A Humble Man on March 13, 2013, 06:12:52 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on March 13, 2013, 05:21:54 PM

Frimpong will be out of contract in the summer and Arsenal may not want him so we may sign him on a free.  He will need to calm down though or he will be a disciplinary nightmare.

That's the truth. His first start (I forget against whom), I thought he deserved a red by the end of the first half. There were many questionable fouls that normally add up to yellows before and after he got his card.

I believe that can be settled down though. He could be very effective for us with that element of his game smoothed out a bit.

He IS out of contract, but I think the journos are putting several pieces together and coming up with our "front runner" status in obtaining his signature.

btings

Possibly Espinoza from Wigan.

I'm tempted to say Remy from QPR but I haven't actually watched him play, and he might be expensive.

I really like Ricky Lambert, but he's getting oldish.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: btings on March 13, 2013, 06:56:55 PM
Possibly Espinoza from Wigan.

I'm tempted to say Remy from QPR but I haven't actually watched him play, and he might be expensive.

I really like Ricky Lambert, but he's getting oldish.

Forgot about Espinoza. Good player. Definitely wouldn't mind having him in the squad.

Doubt Wigan would be inclined to sell. I don't believe he's costing them too much with his wages and he likely didn't have the leverage to install a "get out of the Championship free" card into his contract.

kevin

sessignon , kone , fletcher ,