News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

major computer problems, anybody else experiencing this??

Started by jarv, April 01, 2013, 07:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

I have been off for a while. many problems with old computer so after much frustration, bought a new laptop. 500 quid's worth.

My son said watching streams was probably the cause bhut I was not convinced.

New computer, working a treta for 4 days, super fast etc etc, I then decided to watch a match streamed The next day my new computer died on me. I was watching a game usingg atdhenet.tv which I have used many, many times without any problems.

Took the computer back and they pin pointed the problem to something I did on Friday (the day of the game).  Now I am scared to stream any games because of the viruses that screwed up my new computer.

ANY ADVICE ANYONE.  Currently, I am on another old computer and just pulled up the site and guess what? It hung so I might have screwed up this one too.

Thanks.
ps......is it safe to listen to gentleman jim? That is probably my only option at this stage.

CincyFulham1

..Kya.ffc..

Have your antivirus up to date and running. If you do not have any then AVG can be downloaded from download.cnet.com.

Do not use internet explore, but rather get Firefox and install adblock on it.

Then perhaps use www.firstrow1.eu/ for stream's never had a problem using that with firefox + adblock and an up to date antivirus.

And yes it would be HIGHLY unlikely that the audio cast of Gentleman Jim from fulhamfc's page would be infected.

Im not a computer wiz, and im sure there must be atleast one in here who is, but anyways thought I post.

Edit:
Two other good security tools that I like:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware(Can also be downloaded from download.cnet.com)
And:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Time for the game COYW!
Beers may have been involved in this post.

sipwell

Have streamed for years. Nothing ever happened. Kya's advice is sound though.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Aaron

If you don't know what you're doing it can be tricky to work out exactly what you need to do / not do to get a stream working.

As a rule of thumb, if you have a good AV program and "Adblock" installed on Firefox you will be sitting pretty.  ANYTHING that says "You need to download me to watch this stream" is something which you not only do NOT require, but will ultimately be a virus so don't click on anything that downloads something.

Stick to those rules and you should be okay.

jarv

Thank you for response. However, I didn't do anything except pay the supplier to set it up internet ready, anti virus, and bells and whistles. As I said, it worked a treat until I streamed a game.

oh well! that's life. No more streaming.

zschwartz

you can still stream but not completely without risk.

kya is right on.

internet explorer is and has been a death trap for years. download firefox, get adblock and noscript adons. run avira and malware bytes. ya, this sounds like a lot. but so does 500.00 and these things are all free.

Logicalman

Jarv,

Interesting item in when you say "Took the computer back and they pin pointed the problem to something I did on Friday (the day of the game).  Now I am scared to stream any games because of the viruses that screwed up my new computer."

What exactly did they say they had pinpointed? Did they offer any service to fix the issue? Do you have any AV installed?

As this is a new computer, you should find that you either have the original install discs, or a partition on the root drive that contains the same restore files. What OS are you using? If it is Windows Vista or above, you should be able to easily return to a restore point (though being that new I guess this could well be initial install).

PM me with the unit details, and I'll see what I can find out.

Roberty

Anti-virus on it's own is not enough - you need something for malware too.
There are several free AV's on offer and Malware Bytes has a free version too.
Even if you are the only user set up a second user account - guest - you can often get into the other user account to run the malware program when the malware has blocked your account.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Bassey the warrior

Streaming games won't give you a virus unless you download something.

grandad

Where there's a will there's a wife

Walsh

1. Download Firefox
2. Get AdBlock Plus (blocks all adverts)
3. Enjoy some Football