more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Advice Needed on First Possible Visit To Craven Cottage

Started by Adam1991, March 20, 2013, 01:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Quote from: Adam1991 on March 20, 2013, 01:12:53 AM
Hi there, I am considering visiting Craven Cottage for the first time for the QPR Match on 1st April 8pm kick-off.

Just wanted some advice really, I come up from Yorkshire area, Doncaster.

What is it like after the game, how easy and quick is it to get away from the game?

Is the station easy to find on way out after game?

What's the quickest way back to kings cross after the game as the last train home is half 11 at night and I don't wanna miss my train or leave my match early.

Also what's the best stand to sit in? heard riverside stand is good as you can view the river thames at half-time that sounds good.

You'll get the 23:30 easily. Best way of getting back to King's Cross would be to get the Piccadilly line from Hammersmith (about a 20 minute walk from The Cottage). It's about 30 mins from Hammersmith. You can do the whole trip (The Cottage to King's Cross) in about 45/50 mins. At least I can leave King's Cross at 14:15 on a Saturday, and still make my seat for Kick Off...
Why would you kill it, kill it, kill it before it dies?

filham

Come to the match via Putney Bridge and just follow the crowd through Bishops Park alongside the Thames and soak up the river atmosphere, remember this is the stretch of water where the Oxford/Cambridge boat race starts.
Now if I had a London train to catch I would not risk a delicate .slow District line train requiring changes to get to KingsX, also there could be crowds waiting at the station.

The longer walk to Hammersmith is a better bet, the Picadilly Line trains are more frequent, reliable , faster and direct. Only downside is that you may have to rub shoulders with some unhappy QPR fans as the will be walking in that direction.

Supermitch

Quote from: Alan on March 20, 2013, 05:47:31 PM
Quote from: Adam1991 on March 20, 2013, 01:12:53 AM
Hi there, I am considering visiting Craven Cottage for the first time for the QPR Match on 1st April 8pm kick-off.

Just wanted some advice really, I come up from Yorkshire area, Doncaster.

What is it like after the game, how easy and quick is it to get away from the game?

Is the station easy to find on way out after game?

What's the quickest way back to kings cross after the game as the last train home is half 11 at night and I don't wanna miss my train or leave my match early.

Also what's the best stand to sit in? heard riverside stand is good as you can view the river thames at half-time that sounds good.

You'll get the 23:30 easily. Best way of getting back to King's Cross would be to get the Piccadilly line from Hammersmith (about a 20 minute walk from The Cottage). It's about 30 mins from Hammersmith. You can do the whole trip (The Cottage to King's Cross) in about 45/50 mins. At least I can leave King's Cross at 14:15 on a Saturday, and still make my seat for Kick Off...

I'd echo that - suggest a seat in the Hammersmith End H5/H6 and exit the ground afterwards by the gate next to the river and walk up the river path.  Cut in by the Crabtree and follow the crowds towards Hammersmith.  You'll walk it in 20 - 25 mins and then the Piccadilly line to KX.

Enjoy your visit.

Adam1991

I'll have a look on google street view n get it to show walking route I have good photographic memory but would it give me same route as ur suggesting not sure it includes paths and what block is best in hammersmith to have a beer on river?

Supermitch

Quote from: Adam1991 on March 20, 2013, 07:30:57 PM
I'll have a look on google street view n get it to show walking route I have good photographic memory but would it give me same route as ur suggesting not sure it includes paths and what block is best in hammersmith to have a beer on river?

Look on Google street view at Rainville Road by the Crabtree and you'll see the Thames footpath sign.  Lots of people walk that way after a game.  On Google maps the path is clearly marked
The higher number blocks are closer to the river side of the ground so H7 is the closest.  Suggest H5 or H6 would be optimal for view of match / proximity to river.

cusackdribble

This thread is a wind-up right? Some kid is thinking of coming to Craven Cottage for the first time on a Bank Holiday Monday for an 8pm kick-off from Doncaster and has to go to work the next day. Or have I missed something?

Adam1991

Thames Path 1.5 mi, 29 min GOOGLE  RECKON 29 min walk surely not true? Looking at google maps just looks like you walk along edge of river then turn and walk up road n ur at hammersmith tube station.

And dribble I normally work at 4pm on Tuesdays not like am up first thing.

1. Head northwest on Stevenage Rd toward Greswell St     
       0.4 mi
   2. Turn right onto Lysia St    
       174 ft
   3. Turn left onto Holyport Rd    
       0.1 mi
   4. Continue onto Rainville Rd    
       364 ft
   5. Turn left onto Thames Path    
       0.4 mi
   6. Turn right to stay on Thames Path    
       95 ft
   7. Continue onto Chancellor's Rd    
       0.2 mi
   8. Turn left onto Fulham Palace Rd/A219    
       0.2 mi
   9. Turn left onto Talgarth Rd/A219/A315    
       39 ft
   10. Turn right    
       121 ft
   11. Turn left

Is that route what your on about supermitch?

Adam1991

Just had a quick flick through street view, saw a primary school on way, no path and loads of streets, looks a trek. i'll have a longer/proper look tomorrow.

Rupert

Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Adam1991

Just had a proper look mitch. it showed riverside stand turnstiles and ill be most likely in hammersmith stand  then you walk down one big road which i believe is stevenage road but confusing part is when you get to that primary school because theres a path next to it but google street view wont take me down it then sends me down the street and i turn then get lost lol wtf then i end up at crabtree then you can see all river looks quality.  seen path now quite narrow!

so am i right in thinking that path takes you all way across river ontowards hammersmith tube station?

Dont get that path next to the school, is it quicker to walk past it or quicker just to go down street and turn then find crabtree?.

looks like once i get to crabtree i cant get lost as its straight onto hammersmith, am i right with that theory mitch?

Adam1991

bloody hell, ive seen where path ends at hammersmith, u turn and walk down road and ur at hammersmith tube station. it doesnt look that bad/that far at all.

all it is is walk down road from riverside turnstiles, past school, turn down road find crabtree, walk down path, ends at hammersmith, turn down road at hammersmith n keep on walking till ur at tube station.

is hammersmith next to riverside stand?

also how long will queues be at hammersmith or will i get straight on my way?

A Humble Man

Do not go to the Hammy end or the the Putney end as you will get a distorted view of the game the reason we so so many ill-informed comments after games. You will also get a lots of silly people standing in front of you.  Go to the middle of the JH or Riverside fans.  In the JH stand if you are far enough forward you are clear of any obstructed view.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

Northern Cottager

All i'd recommend is if you are coming to Craven Cottage don't rush it. There is loads to see and when you're there you will not want to leave, the greatest bunch of football fans you will ever meet.

Try staying over or planning a later train back, you won't regret it.

King_Crud

you'd think it was a quest for the lost city of gold. Whichever way you go, Hammersmith or Putney, you will easily make Kings X for 11:30pm if you leave CC at 10pm

Adam1991

I'm off on Easter Monday and not in til 3pm next day so I'm coming to the cottage can't wait buzzing for it buying my ticket later £40 I think it is

Roberty

Quote from: Adam1991 on March 21, 2013, 12:55:52 AM
bloody hell, ive seen where path ends at hammersmith, u turn and walk down road and ur at hammersmith tube station. it doesnt look that bad/that far at all.

all it is is walk down road from riverside turnstiles, past school, turn down road find crabtree, walk down path, ends at hammersmith, turn down road at hammersmith n keep on walking till ur at tube station.

is hammersmith next to riverside stand?

also how long will queues be at hammersmith or will i get straight on my way?

There is an gate onto the riverside walk at the junction of the Riverside and Hammersmith stands. It is opened at the end of the match and it will be a lot less crowded than the Stevenage Road exits.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Adam1991

Am I right with those directions though Roberty?  It looks piss if so

Adam1991

Adam1991

Adam1991

Northern cottager mate what time shud I get to ground then if there's so much to see? It sounds lovely where the cottage is I can't wait