Friday Fulham Stuff (29.01.10)

Started by White Noise, January 29, 2010, 06:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham make fresh move for Roma striker Stefano Okaka

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 12:30 AM on 29th January 2010

Comments (0)

Fulham have revived a move for Roma striker Stefano Okaka.

The 20-year-old Italian, who has played for the country's Under 19 and Under 20 sides, looked set to switch on loan earlier this month, only for the move to break down.

Okaka was due to hold talks in London on Thursday night.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1246908/Fulham-make-fresh-Roma-striker-Stefano-Okaka.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0dyt4v44n

White Noise

Chris Smalling's giant leap: A call from Sir Alex Ferguson and the journey from Maidstone United to Manchester United - via Fulham - is complete

By Laura Williamson

Last updated at 1:38 AM on 29th January 2010

Comments (0)
When Theresa Smalling picked up the phone at home in Chatham, Kent on Monday afternoon there was a familiar Scottish burr at the end of the line.

Sir Alex Ferguson was calling to assure the mother of Manchester United's latest transfer target that her son, Chris, would be well looked after in the North West.

'I was so shocked,' said Theresa, 53. 'It was the voice. It was like I was on TV.

'He was just saying how impressed he was with Chris, how he'll be well looked after and telling me about everything they've got up there.

'I couldn't believe it when Chris said about Manchester United, although I wish it was the Arsenal. I'm an Arsenal fan and Chris was when he was little. But I'm so proud.'

Sir Alex's direct approach may seem an old-fashioned anomaly in the modern game, but Chris Smalling's lightning rise from non-League football to the Premier League champions in less than two years appeals to the traditionalist in us all.

In the bar of the Cobdown Sports and Social club in Ditton, Kent, where Smalling played for Maidstone United reserves in front of a single ramshackle stand with peeling green paint, Bill Williams, Tony Cornwell and Alan Walker laugh as they try to express their pride using a series of well-worn clichés.

'Rags to riches, Over the moon, A schoolboy's dream. What else can we throw in there?' says Walker, 50, Maidstone's first-team manager and a former player with Lincoln City, Millwall and Gillingham, as Smalling's face flashes up on Sky Sports News.

'To have two of the biggest clubs in the world (Arsenal and United) fighting for his signature, well, you couldn't ask for any more, really,' says Cornwell, 49, the  reserve-team boss.

'When you've been in football for a long time, sometimes you see a little gem,' adds Williams, 67, general manager and a former QPR, Portsmouth and West Bromwich Albion player. 'The first one I ever had was Bruce Grobbelaar when he was 17 or 18. You know that they are special players. And Chris was one of them.'

It is easy to understand their excitement. Smalling's rise, as Walker puts it, has been nothing short of meteoric.

The player, now 20, was born in Greenwich but the family moved to a semi-detached home in Chatham when he was five. Smalling attended Ridge Meadow Primary School, just up the road, and played for Walderslade Boys and then Lordswood as a youngster.

A basket of daffodils and bluebells, a bottle of bubbly and a congratulations card from one of Smalling's old teachers were delivered to his mum this week.

The staff at his secondary school, Chatham Grammar School for Boys, which younger brother Jason, 17, still attends, were equally pleased for their former pupil.

Head of PE Andy Anderson said: 'Chris was a very good rugby player, talented at basketball, judo — we took him paintballing once and he was even good at that! We always said he could have been at least county standard at everything he tried.

'He was quiet, unassuming, well-liked. He was always immaculately turned out and well spoken.

'Sport dominated everything Chris did but he managed to hold down a job as well – he was a waiter in a hotel.'

Smalling studied travel and tourism, media studies and business studies to A-level, as well as economics at AS-level, and achieved good grades in all his subjects.

After showing promise in the local Medway leagues, Smalling joined Millwall when he was 12 but travelling to London proved too much by the time the player reached 14.

Ms Smalling, a single mum, didn't have a car and, although Millwall offered to help with the costs, she didn't want her teenage son travelling on his own.

'We just couldn't get up there,' she said. 'He would have been perfectly capable of going on his own, but I wouldn't let him. I had to take him out. He didn't play football for
nearly a year.

'I was more upset than Chris, I think. He just carried on and worked his way up, playing for school and then Kent. He really put himself out there.'

At 16, Smalling joined local non- League club Maidstone United, quickly progressed through the ranks from the Under 18s to the reserves and then the first team, who play in the Ryman League.

Cornwell said: 'He had time, he was an elegant player, he played out from the centre of defence, he liked to pass the ball, he could read the game superbly well.

'His physical attributes are great (Smalling is now 6ft 4in) and he's quick.'

'And he had a wonderful Afro, didn't he?' interrupts Williams. 'We used to call him Shaft, from the TV programme in the 1970s.'

'But we were playing games in the Ryman Premier and he was man of the match every week,' said Walker.

'He was absolutely outstanding. He could play anywhere across the back four and even played in midfield at Under 18 level. But central defence is his best position. He reminds me of Rio Ferdinand, the way he plays, much more than Nemanja Vidic.'

At 17, Smalling was called up for England Schoolboys, which brought him on to the radar of scouts from Middlesbrough, Charlton, Reading, Fulham, Chelsea and
Arsenal.

Mother and son liked what they saw when they visited the North East and Smalling nearly signed for Middlesbrough, but the promise of a three-year deal much closer to home at Roy Hodgson's Fulham proved more attractive.

The Cottagers' senior scout, Barry Dunn, now head of recruitment at Millwall, had got his man — or rather, boy.

Yet Smalling's desire to play for his country at amateur level — and Maidstone's reluctance to stop him — meant he never signed a contract with the non-League club.

When Fulham came calling in the summer of 2008, the Premier League club therefore had no legal obligation to pay Maidstone a penny.

Williams said: 'Because of the relationship between the two clubs (Hodgson is a former Maidstone player), Fulham gave us what they call a training compensation agreement, which is registered with the FA.

'At the time it was a great deal and we appreciated it. However, in the general scheme of things, it isn't so good. In your wildest dreams, nobody thought somebody would pay that amount of money (£10m) at this stage in Chris's career.

'It would have been nice if we had had a 10 per cent sell-on, which we asked for, because we've been striving for 15 years to build a stadium in the town and that money would've done it. I think they call it Sod's law, don't they?'

Smalling still sometimes picks Jason up from school in the Range Rover he bought when he signed for Fulham — his mum now uses the blue Renault Clio he drove as a 17-year-old — and spends weekends in Chatham with his old mates whenever he can.

This, of course, will all change when the England Under 21 defender joins Manchester United at the end of the season.

His mum, whom he still visits regularly, says she will miss him, but she isn't averse to the idea of a move up north.

'I've been in this house about 14 years. I wouldn't mind moving, though!' she said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1246885/Chris-Smallings-giant-leap-A-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-journey-Maidstone-United-Manchester-United--Fulham--complete.html#ixzz0dytehp3l

White Noise

Believe me, it takes time to make the jump in classBy Andy Townsend

Last updated at 1:39 AM on 29th January 2010

Comments (0)

So what's it like to jump from non-League to the big time? Sportsmail's Andy Townsend, the former Republic of Ireland midfielder and Chelsea captain, gives an insight into what it takes to move rapidly up the football pyramid.

I was a part-time computer operator. Very part-time. In between playing snooker and throwing the odd sickie, I don't remember doing too much work in the council offices supplementing my income while playing for Welling and dreaming about a football career.

A big-money move to Weymouth followed. Well, £13,500 seemed like a lot to me (no, there isn't a '0' missing). Charlton and Millwall had taken a look when I was at Welling and a two-week trial with Sheffield Wednesday came to nothing.

So I was a non-League player aged 21 desperate for a chance, when a deep Geordie voice came on the phone one day, claiming to be Lawrie McMenemy. I thought it was a joke.

Southampton were in the top six of the old First Division and chasing Europe. I was at Weymouth scoring a dozen goals in the first half of the season. The Saints had a team including Peter Shilton, Mick Mills, Joe Jordan and Ivan Golac. Big Lawrie liked characters and personalities in his teams...

So he paid £35,000 and soon I was sharing a dressing room with internationals, a mix of outstanding and established players, like Shilton, and up-and-coming talents like Steve Moran and Mark Wright.

Lawrie said he didn't expect anything from me that season and I was sent to play for the reserves. I was pretty average. I couldn't find my form, but then Mark Dennis was injured and Lawrie picked me for the first team — to play at left back.

I ended up playing a handful of games and we qualified for Europe, but the difference in the speed of the game was one thing. Coming to terms with being a professional was another.

Chris Smalling made the jump from Maidstone to Fulham and now the transition to Manchester United will require a similar change in surroundings.

He will find himself with more money — and more time —than before. It will take possibly as long as 12 months for him to settle properly.

But while Stuart Pearce, Ian Wright and Vinnie Jones came through from the non-League scene, these sort of tales are now few and far between.

This is a feel-good story and we should wish him well. Dreams can still come true.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1246897/ANDY-TOWNSEND-Believe-takes-time-make-jump-class.html#ixzz0dyuLFvP7

White Noise

Manchester United complete deal for Chris Smalling to join in the summer from Fulham

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 7:36 PM on 28th January 2010

Comments (0)

Manchester United have confirmed the capture of Fulham defender Chris Smalling.

The 20-year-old completed his medical with the Old Trafford outfit and will link up with the Red Devils from July 2010 on a four-year contract.

It completes a meteoric rise for the England Under-21 star, who only two years ago was playing non-league football with Maidstone.

It is likely to represent United's only significant business of the transfer window. 

But after beating off competition for a player who has still made fewer than a dozen appearances for the Cottagers, Sir Alex Ferguson feels it represents a smart bit of business. 

"Chris is an extremely talented young defender, who we have been monitoring for some months," said Ferguson.   

"He is very quick and reads the game well. He will be a great asset to the club, playing alongside some of the best defenders around and we are delighted to have secured his signature."   

The way the deal has been done will only fuel the belief that Nemanja Vidic will be leaving in the summer.   

Ferguson is almost certain to refute such claims, although, with Johnny Evans already established as back-up to Vidic and Rio Ferdinand, something will have to give if Smalling is to make any meaningful contribution during his debut season.   

That will not worry the Greenwich-born player though, who is eagerly looking forward to the challenge.   

"Joining Manchester United is an unbelievable opportunity for me," he said.

"My time at Fulham has been great and I have learned a lot about the game from Roy Hodgson and the coaching staff.   

"But the chance of coming to the biggest club in the world is something I just couldn't turn down. 

"I am excited about working with Sir Alex and the fantastic players in his squad."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1246840/Manchester-United-complete-deal-Chris-Smalling-join-summer-Fulham.html#ixzz0dyutJpnT

White Noise

Robert Lewandowski

Lech Poznan to Fulham - The Insider says: 2/5

Home boy: Lewandski had been expected to stay in Poland although his stance has changed

Fulham and Portsmouth have both thought about Lewandowski but were given the impression he was staying in Poland until the summer and if they wanted him now he would cost £7million.

However, Poznan's stance and attitude has changed and they are believed to be willing to negotiate and that could open the door for the Poland striker to come to the Premier League over the weekend - possibly even on a loan deal.

He is still only 21-years-old and had wanted to continue developing in the Polish league but is wary he may miss his chance to move to England if he does not look at something now.
Fulham are struggling to land a striker. They maintain interest in Roma's Stefano Okaka,  but have been rebuffed by Basle's Marco Streller and are unsure about Egypt's Mohamed Nagy.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1246767/Hammer-time-Bentley-Fulham-Poles-Slory-set-Albion-Sunderland-want-Babel.html#ixzz0dyvOwFju

White Noise

Fulham v Aston Villa: match preview

Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Aston Villa at Craven Cottage on Saturday Jan 30 2010, kick-off 15.00 GMT.

By John Ley

Published: 6:00AM GMT 29 Jan 2010

Saturday, January 30

Fulham v Aston Villa
Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 15.00 GMT
TV: Highlights, BBC1 MotD.

Fulham have lost their last four games, their worst run since March 2006, but they have suffered with injuries. At least Bobby Zamora returned earlier than planned after breaking his collarbone, in the Tuesday night defeat at Spurs. And Diomansy Kamara also featured, as a late substitute, in the 2-0 reverse.

They are still without Andrew Johnson, Paul Konchesky and Clint Dempsey but Chris Smalling, available after returning from Manchester United on loan, could continue in defence. On Wednesday, Villa held Arsenal to a goalless draw at Villa Park, their fourth League game without a win or a goal. They were without Stephen Warnock with a shin injury and he undergoes a test.

Fulham (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Hughes, Smalling, Hangeland, Baird; Davies, Murphy, Greening, Duff; Nevland, Zamora.

Aston Villa (4-4-2): Friedel; Cuéllar, Collins, Dunne, Warnock; A Young, Milner, Petrov, Downing; Agbonlahor, Heskey.

Referee: Lee Mason. Matches: 14. R4 Y39.

Last season: Villa 0 Fulham 0, Fulham 3 Villa 1.

Stat of the game: If Fulham lose again it would represent Fulham's their worst sequence since March 2002 Â when they lost six.

Betting tip: Fulham will struggle to win while Villa can't score – so try 0-0 at a healthy 15-2.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=5017

Ghana knock Nigeria out

by Dan on January 28, 2010

Ghana reached the final of the African Cup of Nations with a 1-0 win over Egypt in Luanda this afternoon. A near post header from Asamoah Gyan was enough to secure victory. Mixed emotions for our own John Pantsil, who as a proud Ghanaian must be delighted that his compatriots have reached the final, but gutted that injury prevented him from being part of the ride.

From a Fulham perspective, it was interesting to see Dickson Etuhu dropped to the bench for this one, replaced by Ayila Yussuf. He had a rather disappointing 60 minutes in the quarter final against Zambia, which was eventually settled on penalties, and doesn't enjoy the greatest relationship with coach Shuaibu Amodu. The Super Eagles have one more match, the third/fourth place play-off on Saturday before Etuhu will head back to London.

It is another triumph for Ghana's Serbian coach Milovan Rajevac, who has worked wonders to get the Black Stars into the final given the injury crisis he has had to contend with at the tournament. Ghana will play the winners of the second semi-final, between old rivals Egypt and Algeria, which kicks off at 7.30pm. You can watch it on BBC Three, the BBC Sport website or British Eurosport – or listen to live commentary from the BBC World Service.

White Noise

Smalling Agrees Deal

Thursday 28th January 2010

Chris Smalling has agreed terms and passed a medical examination to join Manchester United in July 2010 on a four-year contract for an undisclosed fee.

An England Under-21 international, Smalling has made 10 first-team appearances for Fulham.

Sir Alex Ferguson said: "Chris is an extremely talented young defender, who we have been monitoring for some months. He's very quick and reads the game well. He will be a great asset to the club, playing alongside some of the best defenders around and we're delighted to have secured his signature."

Chris Smalling said:

"My time at Fulham has been great and I have learned a lot about the game from Roy Hodgson and the coaching staff.

"But the chance of coming to the biggest club in the world is something I just couldn't turn down. I'm excited about working with Sir Alex and the fantastic players in the squad.

"I've played a few times in the Europa League this year, but the thought of making the step up to the Champions League next year is great. I can't wait."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/January/SmallingAgreesDeal.aspx?#ixzz0dyxKAtkN

White Noise

Cottage Return

Thursday 28th January 2010

Fulham FC News 

Fulham return to the Cottage on Saturday for their first Barclays Premier League home match of 2010 when they take on Aston Villa.

Roy Hodgson's side have endured a tough league schedule this past month and the players are hoping to get back to winning ways at the Cottage this weekend, as Erik Nevland explains.

"We've had a bad run so we need to put that right on Saturday," said the Norwegian striker. "We've been playing against very good teams recently and we haven't been playing too badly.

"They're all big games in the Premier League and matches are decided by very small margins. It's always good to play at home and Saturday is going to be an important game and we have to put it right.

"February is certainly going to be a busy month but that just means we're involved in a lot of games and competitions which is a very good thing."

Nevland scored the opening goal in last weekend's 4th Round FA Cup win over Accrington Stanley and the striker is hoping to play his part against Villa on Saturday.

"There have been ups and downs for me personally this season but all in all I've been quite satisfied. Obviously I always hope I'll be in the starting line up, and come Saturday we'll see, but I hope I can be involved in the game in some way."

Nevland certainly knows the danger of another Norwegian striker who may be lining up against Fulham on Saturday and featuring in a side that he certainly will not be underestimating.

"John Carew is a big strong man and a very good player. If he's fit he will certainly be a handful for our defence so it's going to be a tough game. They have a lot of good players and are potentially a top four side so we're in for a tough game on Saturday."

It will be a welcome return to the Cottage for Roy Hodgson's men on Saturday after more than a month without a league fixture at home and Nevland is hoping both fans and players alike will be celebrating three points on Saturday evening.

"Our fans are always good and if they can keep that going we'll do our best to keep our good home record up with a win on Saturday and that'll be good for everybody."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/January/NevlandsVillaPreview.aspx#ixzz0dyxbwxbQ

White Noise

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article7007249.ece

January 29, 2010

Chris Smalling is ruled out of Fulham's clash with Manchester United

Oliver Kay Football Correspondent

Chris Smalling, the Fulham defender, will not be permitted to play against Manchester United after the Premier League's board ruled last night that doing so would put all parties in a difficult position before his £12 million summer move to Old Trafford.

Smalling completed the latest stage of his remarkable journey from non-League football yesterday by signing a four-year contract with United, but the deal does not come into effect until July. It is rare for a player to sign a pre-contract agreement to move between Premier League clubs and, with Fulham due to take on United at Old Trafford on March 10, there was speculation over whether Smalling would be able to take part.

There is no clause in the two clubs' agreement to prevent Smalling, 20, playing against United and, in accordance with the rules introduced by the Premier League in 2007 to create more transparency, there is no gentlemen's agreement either. However, the Premier League moved to prevent any suspicion over the deal.

What is certain is that it represents a remarkable coup for Fulham, who signed Smalling from Maidstone United for a nominal fee just 18 months ago, and for the player, who has started just two Premier League matches for Roy Hodgson's team. United raised their offer to £12 million, with most of that sum guaranteed, after learning of a bid from Arsenal.

With Nemanja Vidic expected to move to Spain in the summer, Sir Alex Ferguson was delighted at completing the deal. "Chris is an extremely talented young defender," Ferguson said.

• England will face Mexico at Wembley in their penultimate friendly before heading to the World Cup in South Africa.

Although the FA is yet to confirm the May 24 contest, Mexican officials have included it in a six-match tour, alongside matches against Holland and Italy, the world champions. Mexico were Fabio Capello's preferred opponents for a warm-up before England's opening group C game against the United States in Rustenburg on June 12.

White Noise

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article7006689.ece

In the studio café, though, it perhaps shouldn't go unremarked that the Maccabees' stubborn modesty continues to manifest itself at every opportunity. On the television in the far corner an MTV airing of the group's new single prompts minimal reaction. Only when someone points the remote control at the sports channel does a silent reverence descend on the table ... well, one person in particular.

In the wake of the fourth-round FA Cup match between Accrington Stanley and White's beloved Fulham, Roy Hodgson — manager of the London side — is pondering the performance of the League Two opponents who played far better than their 3-1 defeat suggested. "We struggled to get going," says Hodgson, a picture of avuncular equanimity. "But what a magnificent show they [Accrington] put up."

There are, according to Felix White, parallels to be drawn between Hodgson's stewardship of Fulham and the current fortunes of his own band. "Do you know why this team is so great? It's not about the individual players. It's about a sense of collective identity. That makes them more formidable than anyone gives them credit for."

At long last, a boast — albeit one of modest proportions.

White Noise

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article7007184.ece

Newcastle United offered £1.5 million up front for Victor Moses, the Crystal Palace forward, last night, matching the bid made by West Bromwich Albion.

Palace, who are in administration, are hoping to raise more for the 19-year-old, who has attracted interest from Nottingham Forest, Fulham and Manchester City. West Ham United have offered an initial £500,000 rising to about £2 million, but the deal is less attractive to Palace because they require significant funds this month.

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-boss-Roy-Hodgson-was-labelled-a-disgrace-by-angry-Accrington-No-2-Jimmy-Bell-last-night-article304427.html

Roy Hodgson slammed for his Accy snub

Published 23:00 28/01/10

By MirrorFootball

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson was labelled a disgrace by angry Accrington No.2 Jimmy Bell last night.

Hodgson saw his side beat Stanley 3-1 in the FA Cup at the weekend but his decision to snub the club's changing rooms and his actions on the touchline have left Bell fuming.

The Cottagers chief ordered his players to get changed at their Dunkenhalgh House Hotel retreat ahead of the game.

And then he wound up Bell and Stanley boss John Coleman in the dugouts by moaning at the League Two side's aggressive play.

Bell moaned: "I didn't enjoy the day one bit to be honest. It was the fourth round of the FA Cup but the whole day left a real sour taste in my mouth.

"Fulham's decision to snub our dressing room was disgraceful.

"I also thought the conduct of Fulham and Roy Hodgson was very poor. He was disgraceful towards myself and our manager John Coleman during the game.

"It was also disgraceful that they didn't get changed at the Crown Ground.

"Our changing rooms are not the best in the world but they are certainly not the worse either.

"But they decided to get changed at the Dunkenhalgh House Hotel instead."

Hodgson admitted in his post-match interview that he was upset at the way Accrington tried to get stuck into his Premier League stars.

Darran Kempson was sent off before the interval for two yellow card challenges as goals from Erik Nevland, Damien Duff and Zoltan Gera won the game for Fulham.

He said: "They did go out and set about their task in a very aggressive manner so it wasn't a surprise to see a few yellow cards. I suppose it was fortunate for us that they went to the same player."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/nevland-admits-fulham-need-three-points-607411
Nevland admits Fulham need three points
29.01.10 | tribalfootball.com

Fulham face Aston Villa tomorrow in their first home game for 2010.

The Cottagers have endured a tough league schedule this past month and the players are hoping to get back to winning ways at the Cottage this weekend, as Erik Nevland explains.

"We've had a bad run so we need to put that right on Saturday," the Norwegian striker told fulhamfc.com. "We've been playing against very good teams recently and we haven't been playing too badly.

"They're all big games in the Premier League and matches are decided by very small margins. It's always good to play at home and Saturday is going to be an important game and we have to put it right.

"February is certainly going to be a busy month but that just means we're involved in a lot of games and competitions which is a very good thing."

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/astonvilla/7093692/Fulham-v-Aston-Villa-match-preview.html
Fulham v Aston Villa: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Aston Villa at Craven Cottage on Saturday Jan 30 2010, kick-off 15.00 GMT.

Tale of the game

Fulham have lost their last four games, their worst run since March 2006, but they have suffered with injuries. At least Bobby Zamora returned earlier than planned after breaking his collarbone, in the Tuesday night defeat at Spurs. And Diomansy Kamara also featured, as a late substitute, in the 2-0 reverse.

They are still without Andrew Johnson, Paul Konchesky and Clint Dempsey but Chris Smalling, available after returning from Manchester United on loan, could continue in defence. On Wednesday, Villa held Arsenal to a goalless draw at Villa Park, their fourth League game without a win or a goal. They were without Stephen Warnock with a shin injury and he undergoes a test.

Fulham (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Hughes, Smalling, Hangeland, Baird; Davies, Murphy, Greening, Duff; Nevland, Zamora.

Aston Villa (4-4-2): Friedel; Cuéllar, Collins, Dunne, Warnock; A Young, Milner, Petrov, Downing; Agbonlahor, Heskey.

Referee: Lee Mason. Matches: 14. R4 Y39.

Last season: Villa 0 Fulham 0, Fulham 3 Villa 1.

Stat of the game: If Fulham lose again it would represent Fulham's their worst sequence since March 2002 Â when they lost six.

Betting tip: Fulham will struggle to win while Villa can't score – so try 0-0 at a healthy 15-2.

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/01/29/smalling-will-shine-at-old-trafford-says-fulham-team-mate-64767-25707874/
Smalling will shine at Old Trafford, says Fulham team-mate
Jan 29 2010 By Yann Tear

Chris Smalling Image 2

FULHAM were right not to stand in the way of defender Chris Smalling's dream move to Manchester United.

That's according to Brede Hangeland, who has backed the young defender to be a huge hit at Old Trafford.

A few years ago, former manager Chris Coleman famously resisted allowing striker Louis Saha to join Premiership giants United until pressure from the player himself became too much.

This time there was no question of Fulham trying to persuade their young defender he would be better off completing his footballing education at Craven Cottage.

And experienced centre half Hangeland believes that is the right decision. The Norwegian international said: "It is obviously a little bit disappointing for Fulham fans, who have not had a chance to see much of him yet.

"But, at the end of the day, it's business, and we'll have to trust our directors to make the right decision for the club.

"I think he's really talented, and the fact he's only 20 is part of the story why they want him.

"It's rare that you see a big centre back like that with good pace like him. He's developed really well since he's been at Fulham and he could be a top class player.

"I'm sure that at a big club the chances are even better for him to develop into that player.

"You never know what the chances are of playing regularly are, but it's understandable if he were to accept an offer from a club like Manchester United."

Hangeland has been linked to a move to one of the top four clubs himself, but insists Smalling's summer move does not make him envious.

He said: "It doesn't make me think 'it could have been me'.

"I've always said I'm really happy at Fulham and I'm an old man compared to Chris Smalling, so it's not quite the same for me.

"If it goes through, it's fantastic for him and I think he's deserved it.

"He's worked really hard in training and all credit to him.

"I haven't spoken to him a lot, but I hope he knows I'm there to speak to him if he wants to.

"What I would say to him is that he would have to do there what you have to do at any club - and that is keep your head down and work hard, as he has done in the time he has been at Fulham.

"There's no reason to change that philosophy."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fc-basel-striker-marco-streller-i-rejected-fulham-607581
FC Basel striker Marco Streller: I rejected Fulham
29.01.10 | tribalfootball.com
FC Basel striker Marco Streller has turned down a move to Fulham.

The Daily Mail says the Switzerland international was on Roy Hodgson's radar following injuries to Bobby Zamora and Clint Dempsey and the Cottagers boss was lining up a £6million offer.

He said: "I myself have decided very quickly not to switch to Fulham. And FC Basel has also expressed very quickly that they do not want me to go. We have a great team, a coach who can play attacking football."

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8485731.stm
Fulham - Aston Villa

Fulham have struggled on the road all season, winning only one game, but they have obviously been solid at home.

But they have just hit a bit of a rocky patch, and Villa got a good point at home against Arsenal in midweek, so I'm going for a rare home defeat for Fulham.

Verdict: 1-2

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_5892990,00.html

Cottagers miss out on Geddo

Al-Ittihad reject Fulham's bid for Egypt ace

Last updated: 29th January 2010   

Skysports.com understands Fulham's bid for Al-Ittihad's Egypt international striker Mohamed Nagy has been rejected.

The Cottagers moved for the 25-year-old earlier this week, however, their offer has failed to tempt the Egyptian side into parting company with their star marksman.

Al-Ittihad are believed to have higher offers on the table from Egypt's big names and could now allow him to leave at the end of the current season.

Nagy, nicknamed Geddo, enhanced his growing reputation with his fourth goal in the African Cup of Nations on Thursday in Egypt's 4-0 rout over eight-man Algeria.

It remains to be seen whether Fulham will up their offer, although they have now decided to resurrect their move for Roma striker Stefano Okaka as manager Roy Hodgson looks for reinforcements.

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/01/29/win-fulham-v-burnley-tickets-82029-25712023/

Win Fulham v Burnley tickets!

Jan 29 2010

WE HAVE teamed up with Fulham FC to offer readers the chance to win one of two pairs of tickets for the Whites' clash against Burnley on Tuesday, February 9.

To be in with a chance of winning, simply answer the following question:

Who is Burnley's boss?

Email [email protected] with your answer by 11am on Friday, February 6.

Please include your name and a daytime contact number.

If you don't win this time, tickets are still available, priced £25 for adults and from just £5 for juniors subject to availability, at www.fulhamfc.com or by calling 0870 442 1234.

Normal Trinity Mirror Southern competition rules apply.

Please state if you don't want your details passed on to the club's marketing department.