more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff(03/04/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 03, 2013, 04:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Forren has Hangeland's approval

Vegard Forren is a "great player" that will flourish at Southampton, according to Norway captain Brede Hangeland.

The highly-rated 25-year-old defender swapped Molde for St Mary's in January but has yet to make a first-team appearance for his new club.

Forren's only senior match since the move was Norway's World Cup qualifier against Albania 11 days ago, but international team-mate Hangeland believes he will soon shine in the Premier League.

"We play together for Norway and has done really well," the Fulham defender said. "I think he should be patient and the club should be patient with him. I know he is a great player.

"He is a ball-playing centre-half that can defend and also do something sensible when he has it. He is cut out to be a good player."

http://www.teamtalk.com/southampton/8613401/Forren-has-Hangeland-s-approval?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol deserves credit for steadying Fulham
Fulham opinion: Martin Jol looks to have led the Cottagers to Premier League safety

Fulham's 3-2 win over QPR last night made it two London derby wins in a row for the Cottagers.

This recent victory came after an excellent win at White Hart Lane against north London outfit Tottenham.

That Spurs team featured two players that were key to Fulham last year, and it is a massive credit to Martin Jol that Fulham are still going strong this time round.

Currently sitting in tenth, with a game in hand over Swansea above them, Fulham look set for another season in the Premier League.

Jol told the BBC: "Hopefully 39 points is enough but it is a tough competition, probably the only one in the world where the team in 10th could still possibly go down."

Dimitar Berbatov scored a brace to make it five goals in his last four games, and 13 for the season, and the Bulgarian has delighted the Craven Cottage crowd since his £5 million move from Manchester United. Bryan Ruiz has adapted to English football, while the ever dependable Mark Schwarzer and Brede Hangeland marshal the Fulham defence.

Clint Dempsey scored 23 goals in all competitions for Fulham last season, over double the next player, while Tottenham also signed Dembele for £15million. Yet despite the departure of arguably their best two players, Fulham have avoided being sucked into the relegation fight and can aim for a fourth top 10 finish in the last six years.

For a team of Fulham's size, playing in the 25,700 capacity Craven Cottage and without the safety net of owner Mohamed Al-Fayed's open wallet, that is an impressive achievement, especially when the whereabouts of former giants like Leeds, Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday, former Premier League Champions Blackburn, Wolves and Coventry are considered.

Manager Martin Jol must take his fair share of the credit, as well as his players and the backroom staff. Anything more than a top half ambition may be asking too much of the club, but if the Cottagers can continue to compete despite losing their best players (and making hefty profits in the process) then that is something to be proud of.

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeFootball Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeFootball.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeFootball.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

http://www.givemefootball.com/337668-martin-jol-deserves-credit-for-steadying-fulham?

WhiteJC

Three-Point Haul Against QPR What Mattered Most Says Fulham Defender Philippe Senderos

Fulham defender Philippe Senderos has expressed his belief that their side did not do enough in the second half during Monday's game against QPR, but at the end of the day, getting three points is all that mattered.

The Cottagers earned a 3-2 win over Harry Redknapp's side after taking a three-goal lead in the first half itself, courtesy of a brace from Dimitar Berbatov and an own-goal from QPR's Clint Hill. However, they lost focus at the end of the half and conceded a goal to Adel Taarabt. Loic Remy then scored again for QPR in the second half.

"It was going to plan and at 3-0 things were relatively smooth. But we allowed them back into the match, and I think their goal just before half-time gave them a belief that they could take something", the centre-back told Fulham's official website.

"It was a game of two contrasting halves really."

Although the Lilywhites were unlucky to lose focus in the second half, the 28-year-old Swiss international feels that apart from those nervous and shaky moments, the team showed great mental strength.

"We kept our shape and remained resolute right until the end. We did what we needed to do, and with the fans behind us throughout, we pulled through."

The win has helped Martin Jol's side secure tenth spot in the Premier League table with 39 points, just a point behind Swansea City and five behind West Bromwich Albion who are ninth and eighth respectively.

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/04/02/three-point-haul-against-qpr-what-mattered-most-says-fulham-defender-philippe-senderos/82504/#9eLgDBSSuj6yS6Yy.99

WhiteJC

Brede Hangeland pleased to end any relegation fears at Fulham
Victory over QPR saw Fulham maintain their push for a top half finish

Brede Hangeland concedes it has been a far from easy season for Fulham but believes last night's derby defeat of QPR means they can push for another top-10 finish in the Barclays Premier League without fearing the drop.

The west Londoners enjoyed a surprisingly good start to the campaign considering the likes of Mousa Dembele, Clint Dempsey and Danny Murphy left for pastures new in the summer.

That initial flourish soon wore off, though, and only a recent upturn in fortunes has prevented Martin Jol's side from being sucked into the relegation battle.

Last night's 3-2 defeat of QPR means the Cottagers are now unbeaten in five matches and puts them nine points clear of the drop zone, much to Hangeland's relief.

"Hopefully now we can sleep well at night, knowing we will be in the league next year and look up a little bit," the Fulham captain said.

"It is so tight and if it hadn't been for this really good run recently we could have been in trouble, but luckily we seemed to turn the corner after the new year."

Relief was also the overriding emotion following yesterday's west London derby as Fulham had to withstand a spirited QPR comeback.

After Dimitar Berbatov's brace and a Clint Hill own goal saw them race ahead, Adel Taarabt struck back on the stroke of half-time and, having seen a penalty saved moments earlier, Loic Remy reduced the deficit further.

Steve Sidwell's late red card resulted in a nervy ending but Fulham held on to make it back-to-back victories.

"I was almost disappointed after the game because we controlled it so well in the first half and controlled it really well," Hangeland said.

"The second half was the complete opposite so it was a bit strange but obviously we're delighted to get the three points.

"They came back just before half-time, which was disappointing, and then we knew it would be a fight in the second half.

"Especially after the sending off we knew it was going to be tough and credit to them, they played really well and made life difficult for us.

"We managed to hang on and we're really happy, so too I imagine are the fans."

Hangeland was impressive at both ends for Fulham last night and produced an exquisite backheel in the build-up to their third goal.

"I found myself far away from my normal position and was delighted to play a part in that goal," he said with a smile.

"Dimitar told me afterwards 'even though we scored, stay back and leave that to me'. He is a funny guy."

It was a fine way for the defender to cap his first match since ending months of speculation over his future by penning a two-year extension at Craven Cottage.

"You would have to ask my agent [if there was other offers] but who cares now," Hangeland said.

"My priority was to stay here. I've enjoyed my time with Fulham and I think there wouldn't have been any better options for me.

"I am very happy. I think everyone knows that.

"I have said many times how much I like it here and to extend my stay was great news and I am really happy to sort it out."

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/brede-hangeland-pleased-to-end-any-relegation-fears-at-fulham-8557165.html

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol is hoping to secure a top-ten finish this season

Fulham boss Martin Jol believes they have ended any lingering relegation fears after moving on to 39 points.

The Cottagers overcame Queens Park Rangers on Monday night to maintain their place in 10th spot in the table to move them nine points clear of the drop zone.

Jol is keen to build on their recent good run of form and end the season well by securing a top-half finish.

"Everyone tells me that in England 39/40 points will do and I have worked here for five or six seasons and in one or two seasons 37/38 poins was enough and we have got 39 points now and hopefully we will be fine, but in this league you never know," Jol told Sky Sports News.

"We have got 39 points now so hopefully we can look up now and get as high as possible."

Jol admits he feared Fulham might struggle this season after losing a number of key performers in the summer and feels being clear of relegation at this stage of the campaign is a major achievement for the club.

"We lost [Clint] Dempsey, [Mousa] Dembele, Danny Murphy and I thought it could be a difficult season for us but in the first week in April to be on 39 points I think is fantastic," added Jol.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8613628/?

WhiteJC

That Sidwell Red-Card!

With the hatches battened down, the Fulham rearguard put in a stoic display to ensure we hung on to the three points last night.

Their task was made even harder when Steve Sidwell was red-carded for a poor challenge.

However, Martin Jol didn`t think the challenge was that bad and wasn`t worthy of the red-card brandished, commenting in the post match press conference,

"The red card was a bit harsh I think."

Is Jol right or was it fully deserved?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=314839#ixzz2PMsMc2BS

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

There's only one place to start with this week's column and that's our victory over Queens Park Rangers in the West London derby. I wasn't actually working last night for Sky but I went as a fan and really enjoyed it, particularly the first half performance. It was only marred by conceding just before half-time which really made a game of it, but I think that was some of the best football I've seen us play this season in the first half – I was really impressed.

It was especially pleasing considering how we played in the 2-1 defeat at their place earlier in the season. I think the boys owed the fans one, more than anything else, because of that performance at Loftus Road, so it was payback time. Like I say, it's not just the goals in the first half and being 3-0 up at one stage, it was the way we were playing. They were passing the ball and looking really good, and I thought we looked much better than Queens Park Rangers. I thought that Rangers only played well when they had nothing to lose at 3-0 down. At the business stage of the game, Fulham were by far the better team, there's no doubt about that. And the points total reflects that anyway!

It was of course disappointing to lose Steve Sidwell to a red card though, and I thought he was a little bit unfortunate because he caught the player with his left leg rather than the leg with which he was trying to make the tackle. The thing with Siddy is that he'll always make the tackle, because he's not one to pull out. So when that ball just got a yard away from him I was kind of wincing as I was worried that he wasn't going to get there. But he's so honest that he'll want to compete for every ball. I think he was a bit unfortunate but you could see where the referee was coming from because he was lunging, but I would say it was more of a yellow than a red.

That's five games unbeaten for us now and we're comfortably in the top half, but it'd be nice to pick off a few more teams and get a little bit higher because although it's looking quite decent with 39 points on the table, it'd be nice to climb even further. It's good to see that the boys have performed when they had to. When you need to get results at the end of the season, it's probably the hardest time to do so, so they've done well. I think that's a sign of the experience within the squad. It was great to see Dimitar Berbatov's interview after the game when Greg Whelan - who was doing the interviewing – said 'that's you probably safe now' and Dimitar said 'well we've always been safe so there was no panic anyway.' So I think the message to the fans was 'keep calm, we weren't in trouble anyway!'

For every position higher you finish in the league, the greater the financial reward so that can be something to work for between now and the end of the campaign. It also gives fans bragging rights and if you can get more than halfway up the table then that's a feat in itself. There are some clubs who think they're 'bigger' than Fulham, even though they're in the lower reaches of the table, and Fulham have been better than them, again. The likes of your Newcastles and Sunderlands – they think that they're big clubs but Fulham have proved that you don't need 50,000 through the gate to generate a good atmosphere or to play good football. If you're not going to win things, which is really difficult these days when you're competing with all the big clubs up there, I think you've got to give the fans entertainment. You want them to see their team play good stuff and that was one of those nights against QPR. The fans got their money's worth.

Next up is a trip to St James' Park and if Fulham can play their passing game then I can see us coming away with another three points. Newcastle are so desperate for the points as they need to get out of that relegation situation themselves. Obviously if they get some joy in the first 15 or 20 minutes and the crowd get behind them then it could prove a difficult fixture, but I think there's enough in the Fulham armoury now to go there and get all the points.

Finally, I couldn't finish this column without mentioning the great news regarding Brede Hangeland's new contract. After Monday's match everyone was talking about Berba and Mark Schwarzer, but I think Brede was excellent against QPR – he really had a good game and he really was a dominant force.

I think him signing his new deal will have given everyone around the Club a big boost because he's a key player. As much as Berbatov's a great striker with his silky smooth skills and everything, I think Brede is just as important to Fulham Football Club and I think that's a great signing. It's almost like a new signing because his contract was up in the summer. I think because of his tall, gangly stature, people underestimate how good he is on the ball - he always wants to start the moves off at the back. He takes responsibility and it was lovely to see that little back heel inside the penalty area on Monday evening. It reminded me of myself in my heyday! I thought I was the only Fulham centre back who could do that!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/02/the-tony-gale-column?

WhiteJC

Fulham do the right thing

Spike Lee would have been proud of us. Perennial underdogs and makeweight fodder in the exalted Kingdom of the Premier League, modest little Fulham's finely-tuned business model and calm stewardship from the Chairman down did for the over-excitable Harry Redknapp and the bloated ambitions of his club from the wrong side of the borough.

You would expect this blog to be nothing but partisan. A quick sweep of posters to the BBC and other web sites however last night showed here was a popular result with multitudes of football supporters. Not least fans of Southampton and Portsmouth, where 'Arry's game has brought proud old clubs to the brink of ruin. With a result that edges Rangers ever closer to the relegation trap-door, the financial folly pursued by Rangers will exercise Tony Fernandes' business acumen to the full over the coming months.

But let's start by saluting another Fulham win. We did it the hard way, with Rangers harrying us to the death as I predicted, like rabid dogs snapping at our ankles as the riches were being cleared from the Premiership table before their very eyes. I heard the team news on the way down. Redknapp was going for it. He had to. Bryan Ruiz was passed fit so Fulham went unchanged and on the back of a decent little run -- only the two Manchester clubs have beaten us in the league this year.

This was a seminal game in Rangers' campaign. I had written two months ago when reviewing Fulham's end of season run-in how difficult a game the Rangers return at the Cottage would be, especially after Redknapp's moves in the January transfer market. Yet it was the Whites who made the fast start, and how deliciously ironic that it should be the megabucks signing centre back Christopher Samba who decided Monday night to turn in a miserable 45 minutes as Fulham stormed into a 3-0 lead.

Dimitar Berbatov kept his hot streak going; he is if anything even more self-assured with penalties than Danny was, then almost apologetically scuffed in a second after Samba catastrophically dwelt on the ball. When John Arne Riise's hammered cross spun into the Rangers net off Clint Hill's body (after the most intricate passage of build-up play that included a Messi-esque backheel from our skipper) I briefly entertained thoughts of another 6-0 romp -- having assertively discounted it in my preview.

The game of course took on a new twist, with Ashkan Dejagah's withdrawal in particular damaging our rhythm and grip on the game. We utterly bossed the first half, but threw Rangers a lifeline with a very careless pass from the Greek warrior that allowed Adel Taarabt to run on and pull a goal back right on halftime (although Mark Schwarzer nearly got it round the post).

The second half was largely one of torment, at times the fear factor at the Hammy End matched the dark days of the Great Escape from 2008. This was certainly a match from a spectator's point of view best seen from the Putney End, because that's where all the action was. Apart from my close-up view of Julio Cesar fielding back passes, I spent most of that second period numbed with cold, willing the clock to run down and wondering if Urby Emanuelson was ever going to get near the ball.

You could understand why Martin Jol would have sent him on for Dejagah with Fulham bossing the game and leading 3-0, but this was not an arena for the AC Milan loanee in the second half as Fulham sought to repel the red tidal wave of attacks and needed to batten down the hatches. Giorgios Karagounis conceded a silly penalty, two costly errors from the veteran who galvanised the crowd with his never-say-die-attitude but which also undermined his overall performance. Loic Remy slipped between our centre backs to claw another one back in a period either side of Schwarzer's game-changing penalty save where the Fulham goal came under siege.

The game was on a knife edge; we had nothing to offer coming forward, but showed real strength of character, and even after Steve Sidwell's red card (thanks Lee Probert again) it was, surprisingly, QPR who seemed to run out of ideas in the final 15 minutes. Redknapp threw on yet more forwards, but Fulham stood firm to claim their third straight win in London derbies. Two more to follow this month?

Two important factors helped us get over the line in that awful second period. Jol subbed out Emanuelson for the take-no-prisoners defensive strength of Emmanuel Frimpong, and Damien Duff went over to defensive duties on the left to shore up the loss of Sidwell -- who incidentally had an immense first half in breaking up play and imposing Fulham's dominance in midfield. He was maybe a little unlucky to receive a straight red, but I am yet to see the video replay you Sky watchers no doubt had the benefit of.

Reflecting Fulham's first half domination, there was also a lot of industrious and brave play from Ruiz in trying to pass the ball around in tight situations, although I see from posters he continues to polarize opinions as to his overall worth to the side. There's been no harsher critic of Ruiz than me since his arrival. Nobody can feel anything but disappointment that he's not contributed more, especially in terms of goal scoring. But for a man who was supposed to be carrying a hamstring injury, Monday night in a blood and thunder game that turned into a second half cup tie, he never sulked or looked to hide from the battle. He didn't get pushed around too much, nor make fundamental errors like Kara.

The real heroes in this resounding result for me were at the back. Welcome as our three strikes were, they were indeed calamitous and entirely self-inflicted, as Redknapp fumed. Fulham won because the spine was stronger. Again Schwarzer showed the coolest head on the park, and for the second home match in succession made a game-changing penalty stop.

Brede Hangeland was immense, right back to his imperious best. His appetite for more football with Fulham is back, the intensity is there. Did he really want it last night? You bet! It was written all over his features when he strode up to give the Hammy End a clenched-fist salute at the final whistle.

The final word however must go to our match winner yet again. How refreshing to hear his tunnel interview as Berbatov was handed the Man of the Match champagne, praising the team, lauding Schwarzer's contribution, and repeating how much he is enjoying his time at the club. For all the big signings made in West London over the past nine months, Fulham Football Club made the one that really counted. The reason we're staying up and Rangers are going down.

COYW!

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/845?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Analysing last night's red card for Fulham's Steve Sidwell

When this kind of challenge warrants a red card, it's a sign that English-style football is dying.

Week after week, the rules which govern contact between players seem to change, or at least the interpretation of those rules seems to. Once it was about 'taking the ball', then the issue became complicated with ambiguous phrases such as 'excessive force', 'lack of control', and 'dangerous play', and now? Who knows.

It feels as if, each weekend, a referee produces a red card which mystifies the watching public and is beyond reasonable explanation – and what's more, what constitutes a sending-off offence is an ever more fluid concept.

Here are the stills from the incident which led to Steve Sidwell leaving the pitch last night during the game between Fulham and QPR:

i) Sidwell challenges Armand Traore, his eyes fixed to the ball.

ii) At the point of contact, Sidwell has both sets of studs pointing away from his opponent, and neither leg extended in an aggressive manner.

iii) The challenge is completed, and the position of Sidwell's legs clearly demonstrate his intention to neither follow through on his opponent, or hurt him.

Yes, it's very easy to slow down footage and judge referees retrospectively, but Lee Probert has based his decision on the aftermath of the collision rather than the challenge itself. Officials are doing this too much: they make a judgement based on how injured a player looks to be, or how dramatic his fall to the turf is. Not for one minute am I suggesting that Traore exaggerated any of this, but had the challenge not caused him to lose his feet so dramatically, then Probert would have kept his cards in his pocket.

The referee guessed his way to a decision at Craven Cottage last night, and that should never happen – as with the rule governing the award of penalties, unless an official is 100% sure of what he's seen, he shouldn't be making any decision at all.

The game is very quick at Premier League level, and sometimes it just has to be accepted that collisions like this will happen. Did Steve Sidwell foul Armand Traore? Absolutely. But did he he endanger his opponent, lose control of his tackling motion, or demonstrate excessive force? Absolutely not, in no way at all.

Knowing whether The FA will overturn this is anybody's guess, but it would be very unjust if Sidwell did have to serve a ban.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/analysing-the-red-card-for-fulhams-steve-sidwell/

WhiteJC

How Fulham glided away from the relegation zone. Graphs, Stats & Analysis of run involving wins against Spurs, QPR & Stoke

Fulham's last five games have seen them go on a timely run, winning three and drawing two. Their longest unbeaten all season has seen them steer themselves safely away from the relegation threatened teams. The Cottagers currently sit in tenth place on thirty nine points, nine points clear of the bottom three.

In this run of games the London club have scored seven goals and conceded four, averaging 52% possession and an average pass accuracy of 84%.

The performances of Dimitar Berbatov have been a key part in Fulham's recent good run. The Bulgarian striker has really found his goalscoring touch in the past five games, his average shot accuracy for these matches stands at an impressive 73%, with five of his eight shots finding the net. An excellent return, making him one of the most in form strikers in the league.

In this run of games Fulham have managed to keep three clean sheets, including one in their game against Tottenham.

This record is down in part to the performances of centre back and captain Brede Hangeland.

The Norwegian's duel success in recent weeks has typified the resoluteness that Fulham have shown, even when under considerable pressure. A case in point being the Easter Monday fixture against Queens Park Rangers, Hangeland won an outstanding 90% of his headed duels.

In the past five games, this headed duel success rate drops only slightly to an equally impressive 84%. Considered alongside his tackle success which stands at 86%, it becomes easy to see why Fulham have been harder to beat in recent weeks.

Fulham have some difficult fixtures coming up over the final few weeks, including games against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. It seems then that Martin Jol's team have timed their run just right as they look to have done enough already to secure their Premier League status.

http://blog.squawka.com/2013/04/02/how-fulham-glided-away-from-the-relegation-zone-graphs-stats-analysis-of-run-involving-wins-against-spurs-qpr-stoke/201304026848?

WhiteJC

10-man Fulham edges QPR

LONDON - Queens Park Rangers spurned another chance to improve their chances of survival in the Premier League after a gripping 3-2 loss at Fulham on Monday left them seven points from safety with seven games to play.

Fulham exploited generous defending from their west London rivals to establish a 3-0 lead inside 41 minutes at Craven Cottage through a Dimitar Berbatov double and a Clint Hill own goal.

Adel Taarabt pulled one back in the first half and Loic Remy added a second, moments after seeing a penalty saved, before Fulham lost Steve Sidwell to a red card for a late foul on Armand Traore.

QPR could not find an equaliser, however, and remain second from bottom in the table ahead of a crucial game at home to fourth-bottom Wigan Athletic on Sunday.

"It was a disastrous first half and it cost us," said QPR manager Harry Redknapp.

"We gave away the worst goals I've ever seen in my life. It was an absolute disaster, but then we got a goal back, came out in the second half and absolutely murdered them.

"We are not giving up. We have to beat Wigan on Sunday — that is where we are at now."

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=229991

WhiteJC

BREDE HANGELAND: READ IT AND SLEEP

BREDE HANGELAND can finally sleep easy after Fulham all but secured their Premier League status for next season.

Monday night's dramatic 3-2 home win over QPR lifted the Cottagers on to 39 points, nine clear of the drop zone.

It was Fulham's third win in four, having been sucked into the relegation battle after just two wins in 15 games between October and late January.

"Hopefully now we can sleep well at night knowing we will be in the league next year and look up a little bit," said the Fulham captain, 31.

"It is so tight and if it hadn't been for this good run recently we could have been in trouble. But luckily we have turned the corner after the new year."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/307084/?

WhiteJC

Duff scores all the way to the bank as his British-based company nets €1.3m in cash

Former Irish international winger Damien Duff is scoring all the way to the bank, with the cash pile at his British-based firm totalling €1.3m.

By Gordon Deegan

Cash at the 100-cap Duff's Lightzest UK Ltd last year totalled £1.097m (€1.298m).

The filings to the Companies House show the accumulated profits at the Fulham player's company's slipped marginally, from £1.098m to £1.053m, in the 12 months to the end of Jul 31, 2012.

Cash also dipped marginally, from €1.122m to €1.097m.

The native of Ballyboden, Dublin, retired from international duty last summer but remains one of Ireland's most popular sports stars.

Duff made his final appearance for Ireland against Italy in Euro 2012, captaining the side.

At the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea, Duff was voted Ireland's player of the tournament and made it into the Uefa team of the year.

The following year, Duff enjoyed one of his greatest paydays during his professional career when he moved to Chelsea from Blackburn for £17m.

During his time with Chelsea, managed by Jose Mourinho, Duff won two Premier League titles and a League Cup.

In 2006, Duff moved to Newcastle for £5m and then onto Fulham for an undisclosed fee after transferring from the relegated Newcastle.

Last month, Duff signed a one-year extension to his deal with Fulham that will keep him at the club until summer 2014.

Speaking at the time, Duff said: "I've loved my time at Fulham since I joined the club more than three years ago, so I'm really happy that I am going to stay here for a further year."

Duff made his senior Irish debut in 1998 against the Czech Republic and scored eight goals in his 14-year Republic career.

Announcing his retirement last August, Duff said: "I have enjoyed so many good times in the green jersey and want to thank everyone involved, especially the fans, for making the last 14 years so special."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/duff-scores-all-the-way-to-the-bank-as-his-british-based-company-nets-13m-in-cash-227127.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham could miss out on £500,000 Zamora payment if QPR go down

Fulham's 3-2 victory over QPR on Monday night could end up costing  Martin Jol's club £500,000.

When Fulham sold Bobby Zamora to Rangers for £4million in January 2012 they negotiated a £500,000 bonus for every year QPR stayed in the  Premier League during the striker's  two-and-a-half-year contract at  Loftus Road.

Going down? Fulham will miss out on £500,000 Bobby Zamora payment if QPR are relegated

Nail in the coffin? Fulham's Dimitar Berbatov scored twice against QPR - and could have helped send them down

Fulham got their cash last season as QPR staved off relegation on the last day of the campaign to finish 17th, but  Monday's west London derby defeat at Craven Cottage has left Rangers' hopes of survival in ruins.

QPR are second from bottom, seven points adrift of safety with only seven games left to salvage their top-flight status.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2303167/Fulham-miss-500-000-Bobby-Zamora-payment-QPR-down.html#ixzz2PPV8QRQM
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Keeper reveals Fulham have rivals for deal

Twente keeper Nikolay Mihaylov admits Fulham are one of many clubs interested in him, but he won't think about a move until the summer.

The Bulgarian international has been linked with a move to Craven Cottage in the Dutch media after Fulham tried to sort out a deal late in the January transfer window. That was when Martin Jol was desperate to bring in competition for Mark Schwarzer - having seen a move for Roma's Dutch keeper Marten Stekelenburg fall through. There was not enough time to push through the deal in January but 24-year-old Mihaylov remains on Jol's radar - and the son of legendary Bulgarian World Cup goalkeeper Borislav Mihaylov feels ready to leave Holland for a new challenge. "First, I want to focus on FC Twente," he told De Telegraaf. "There are more clubs interested." Mihaylov was on the books of Liverpool a few years ago as one of Pepe Reina's back-ups but left because of work permit problems. He now has 26 caps for Bulgaria and played alongside Fulham loan man Stanoslav Manolev in his country's 1-1 draw with Denmark last month.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/keeper-reveals-fulham-have-rivals-for-deal-1570503.html?

WhiteJC

Briggs' Bragging Rights

Matthew Briggs' Watford side secured what could be a crucial 1-0 victory over David Stockdale's Hull City on Tuesday evening.

With Cardiff City sitting seven points clear at the top of the npower Championship with a game in hand, second place is a more realistic target for the chasing pack, and victory for the Tigers at the KC Stadium would have put them in pole position for the final automatic promotion place.

Defeat to the Hertfordshire side, though, means that they now sit just one point above Gianfranco Zola's team, with six games remaining of the season.

Troy Deeney's neat curling finish in the first half proved the difference, with Stockdale making a fine save to deny the striker a second midway through the second period.

Briggs played 55 minutes of the clash before being replaced by Daniel Pudil.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/03/briggs-bragging-rights?

WhiteJC

Fulham Under-19s triumph in America

The Cottagers become the fourth English club to be crowned Dallas Cup champions

Fulham defeated five teams on their way to picking up the trophy

Fulham Under-19s were crowned Dallas Cup champions at the weekend after concluding their successful tournament with a 5-1 rout of Kashiwa Reysol in the final.

The Londoners, who opened the tournament in the Cotton Bowl Stadium seven earlier, closed the event in the same arena in style on Easter Sunday with a commanding victory against the Japanese outfit.

Fulham had overcome Brazilian sides Coritiba and Fluminense, LA Galaxy of the United States and German club Eintracht Frankfurt with a brand of attacking, free-flowing football and whilst Reysol had also impressed en route to the final, Steve Wigley's charges proved irrepressible. 

Muamer Tankovic opened the scoring inside 10 minutes, when he rifled his side into the lead following Sean Kavanagh's cross from the left, and although Cauley Woodrow saw his penalty saved moments later, he made amends with a two goals early in the second half.

Though Reysol made it 3-1 moments later substitute Jordan Evans applied the finish to Josh Passley's surging run and cross from the right on 78 minutes and George Williams came off the bench to round off the scoring with six minutes to go.

Fulham's success makes them the fourth English club to be crowned Dallas Cup champions following West Ham United (1992), Nottingham Forest (2002) and Liverpool (2008).

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2012-13/apr/fulham-under-19s-triumph-in-dallas-cup.html?