watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (26/04/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 26, 2013, 06:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Birmingham City are ready to sell winger Nathan Redmond this summer in a bid to raise funds
West Bromwich Albion, Fulham and Norwich are leading the chase to sign the England under-19 international, who will be offloaded for around £2 million.

Redmond will have only 12 months remaining on his contract after this season and there have been no negotiations over a new deal.

Birmingham's future is still uncertain and current owner Carson Yeung's trial over charges of money laundering is scheduled to start in Hong Kong next week.

The Championship club are still struggling financially despite the £3.5 million sale of England international goalkeeper Jack Butland to Stoke in January, and Redmond is set to be the next youngster to be sold.

Albion, Fulham and Norwich have all sent scouts to watch him this year while there is also interest from Watford and Crystal Palace.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/birmingham-city/10018787/Birmingham-City-are-ready-to-sell-winger-Nathan-Redmond-this-summer-in-a-bid-to-raise-funds.html

WhiteJC

Keeper quandary for Cottagers

Martin Jol admits he has a "little problem" over Fulham's goalkeeper choices for next season - with Mark Schwarzer yet to commit to the club.

Australian Schwarzer, 40, signed his last deal in January 2013 and has not given any firm indications on his future plans.

David Stockdale, meanwhile, has impressed during his loan spell at Hull as they press for promotion from the Championship.

Jol hopes the situation will be resolved one way or another soon.

He said: "As you know we made him (Schwarzer) an offer, so that means we would like to keep him."

Asked if he had come back to the club yet, Jol added: "No".

Jol, though, knows Stockdale cannot wait forever to stake his claim for the Fulham number one jersey, the 27-year-old having had loan spells with several different clubs since joining from Darlington in 2008.

"The reality is Stockdale wants to be the number one, so I have got a little problem and it is a choice. Do you get him back and make him the number one or do you stick with your keeper?" Jol said.

"Schwarzer did ever so well, so it's about making decisions.

"If I want another goalkeeper, I won't take a mug, I would like to take a good goalkeeper, and a good goalkeeper is someone who could be a number one.

"You can never guarantee a goalkeeper you are going to be number one, but I would like to get a good keeper in."

Jol added: "I have got a very good one in Neil Etheridge, but he has played two games in his career so for him it would be better to play games at another club and then in two years time he could be number one, because he is a tiger, he is very good talent, but in the meantime we need a very good goalkeeper."

Fulham have several players coming to the end of their current deals, including several on loan, like Cameroon midfielder Eyong Enoh from Ajax.

Jol indicated veteran forward Mladen Petric could be among those who move on.

"Petric is one who could make his mind up himself because as long as (Dimitar) Berbatov was here, there is not a big role for him to play," the Fulham boss said.

"However, if you see his minutes, he is very productive.

"The only thing he has said is that he needs to play which is what they all say, and if he needs to play, I am not sure he will stay here."

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/8672177/Keeper-quandary-for-Cottagers?

WhiteJC

Manolev wants permanent Fulham move

Stanislav Manolev says he wants to join Fulham on a permanent deal in the summer.

The 27-year-old Bulgarian defender is on loan from PSV Eindhoven and featured against Arsenal last weekend as a replacement for the injured Sascha Riether.

Manolev said: "I'm really enjoying it at Fulham.  I like London and this [the Premier League] is the best competition in the world.

"Of course I would like to stay, but it depends on the clubs. I still have one more year left at PSV, so the clubs have to talk.

Fulham's defeat against Arsenal meant the Whites stayed on 40 points. But a top-10 finish remains their aim.

Manolev added: "We have to forget the Arsenal game. I think we will play better against Everton.

"The manager says everyone wants to finish in the top 10. It's not easy but we will fight."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/manolev-wants-permanent-fulham-move?

WhiteJC

Under-21s' Season Concludes

Fulham Under-21s' season reaches its conclusion on Friday evening when they face Sunderland at Craven Cottage (7pm).

Group One of the Barclays Under-21 Premier League has already been won by Everton with a game to spare, but second place is very much up for grabs – Aston Villa are the only side who could prevent the Whites from taking the runners-up spot.

The Midlands outfit face the Toffees on Monday and they will need to match Fulham's result (goal difference dependent) to take second place. Unfortunately, though, only the group winners progress to the knock-out stages.

Kit Symons' boys go into Friday's match on a decent run of form, suffering defeat just once in their last seven matches, and winning five of those. The most recent victory came on Sunday when the centre-back pairing of Jack Grimmer and Stephen Arthurworrey scored to give Fulham a 2-0 victory over Villa at Motspur Park.

In the reverse fixture against Sunderland, the Under-21s came away from the Academy of Light with a 2-2 draw at the end of January. George Honeyman had given the home side the lead, but Fulham equalised through Lauri Dalla Valle's penalty after Ryan Williams had been brought down by the Black Cats' goalkeeper.

Tom Donegan then capitalised on a defensive error to make it 2-1 to Fulham, but Jordan Laidler levelled with four minutes remaining to ensure the sides shared the points.

Fans are encouraged to get down to Craven Cottage to cheer on Symons and his boys on Friday evening. Season Ticket Holders can attend free of charge by presenting their Season Ticket card at the turnstiles, otherwise tickets are just £3 for Adults and £1 for Over-65s and Under-16s.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/26/u21s-season-concludes?

WhiteJC

Fulham expect to have winger Damien Duff back from a thigh injury for Saturday's trip to Everton.

Steve Sidwell begins the first of a four-match ban following his red card against Arsenal last weekend, while fellow midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong will be available having missed out against his parent club.

Defender Sascha Riether (ankle) is doubtful. Midfielders Mahamadou Diarra (knee), Ashkan Dejagah (ankle) and Simon Davies (hip) are sidelined.

Teams:

Everton (from): Will appear here...

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Richardson, Hangeland, Senderos, Manolev, Emanuelson, Frei, Kacaniklic, Petric, Enoh, Ruiz, Berbatov, Frimpong, Duff, Etheridge, Riise, Karagounis, Rodallega, Hughes.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-preview/261904/-?

WhiteJC

Howard Kendall: Everton FC need to be wary of predator Dimitar Berbatov

IN DIMITAR BERBATOV I believe Saturday's opponents Fulham have one of the most gifted strikers in the Premier League.

He's a pleasure to watch and Everton will know that they cannot afford to take the Londoners lightly.

The Bulgarian isn't a 100mph type of player who charges around closing down defenders like his life depends on it, in fact he often walks around.

But that's where he is so crafty because he can lull defenders into a false sense of security and David Moyes will have told his players to beware of his style.

The natural thing is for defenders to slow down to his pace and walk with him, but because he's so intelligent and his movement is so canny he can quickly use that to his advantage.

I'd be telling Phil Jagielka and the rest to be on their toes and never let Berbatov con them into losing focus.

Fulham might not have pulled up any trees with their league form this season but they are a good side, with talented individuals not just the former Manchester United man.

Everton should have battered them at Craven Cottage earlier this term but they didn't and you've got to give Martin Jol's men some credit for the way they kept going.

Beating them tomorrow won't be simple by any means.

Read more: Liverpool Echo http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2013/04/26/100252-33238812/?#ixzz2RZp4gAIi

WhiteJC

Fulham Focus - Can the Cottagers hold onto Berbatov next season?

It does not take a genius to suggest that Dimitar Berbatov has been Fulham's player of the season by quite some distance. Since his arrival in West London in late August, the Bulgarian has illuminated Craven Cottage on many occasions this campaign, justifying manager Martin Jol's claims that his signing represented the best in the club's history.

The 32-year-old has scored 13 Premier League goals so far, a better tally than all but two of his seasons in English football, those being the 2007/08 season with 15 for Tottenham and the 2010/11 season, when he hit 20 for Manchester United. Indeed, his influence on the team can be seen in the simple statistic that says Fulham have not lost this season when Berbatov has found the net.

The goals tell their own story but his displays on the pitch, even when not on the score sheet, have often been little short of sensational. His creativity, supreme touch and wonderful ability to control games from almost any position can be seen shining through like a beacon. Additionally, for a player often derided for a perceived lack of desire to work and chase back for the team, the sight of a 32-year-old Berbatov charging around the pitch, putting pressure on opponents and taking responsibility for his side has been a joy to watch.

The question of course now is, can Fulham somehow hold onto him? Supporters may be a little surprised at this question, after all Berbatov is now in the twilight of his career and he appears more than happy at Craven Cottage, in London, under the stewardship of the manager who initially brought him to England at Tottenham Hotspur. Indeed, now that the Dutchman has committed himself to staying at Fulham for another season, the chances of Berbatov staying have surely increased.

However, for all of his brilliance this season, Berbatov has cut a frustrated figure on occasion. During Fulham's awful mid-season dip in form in particular, he could be seen lambasting his own teammates for their inability to either pass the ball to him, or not pass the ball to him quickly enough. It was almost as if after years of playing with the cream of top talent available at Tottenham and United, Berbatov simply could not understand why the likes of, with all due respect, Steve Sidwell and Chris Baird, were failing to provide him with service.

He may be 32, but Berbatov is undoubtedly still a class act who could still perform at a top team, if not as a regular starter but certainly as a squad option. Indeed, it appears bizarre that a team such as Arsenal do not enquire about Berbatov's services considering their lack of striking options.

Perhaps what the Cottagers and Jol will have to do is convince their talisman that next season will not be another relegation scrap that turns into mid-table mediocrity. Nobody is expecting Fulham to challenge for the top four but a player of Berbatov's talents deserves more than scrapping around the lower ends of the Premier League table, and he knows it.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_0_19844_-.html#.UXqEopW_wds

WhiteJC

Premier League: Everton and Fulham seek return to winning ways

Everton and Fulham will both be aiming to get back on track when they lock horns at Goodison Park on Saturday afternoon.

A 1-0 defeat at Sunderland last weekend left David Moyes admitting that Everton's UEFA Champions League hopes are over for the season.

The Toffees are six points adrift of a top-four place and have just four matches left to play this term, so Moyes recognises that the best they can hope for is a Europa League spot.

He has insisted his men will keep fighting and will be determined to return to winning ways after the loss to Sunderland ended a six-match unbeaten run.

Fulham will be equally desperate to ensure that a solid campaign does not end with a whimper, having struggled for form in recent weeks.

The Cottagers have picked up just one point from their past four matches and were beaten 1-0 by Arsenal last weekend thanks to Per Mertesacker's first-half goal.

Martin Jol's men, who drew 2-2 with Everton in the reverse fixture in November, are currently 11th in the Premier League and will be targeting a top-half finish.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/261904/preview?

WhiteJC

Everton v FULHAM: Duff and Frimpong return as Sidwell starts four-match ban

Fulham expect to have winger Damien Duff back from a thigh injury for tomorrow's trip to Everton.

Steve Sidwell begins the first of a four-match ban following his red card against Arsenal last weekend, while fellow midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong will be available having missed out against his parent club.

Early end: Damien Duff limped off in the 1-1 draw at Aston Villa two week ago

Defender Sascha Riether (ankle) is doubtful. Midfielders Mahamadou Diarra (knee), Ashkan Dejagah (ankle) and Simon Davies (hip) are sidelined.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Richardson, Hangeland, Senderos, Manolev, Emanuelson, Frei, Kacaniklic, Petric, Enoh, Ruiz, Berbatov, Frimpong, Duff, Etheridge, Riise, Karagounis, Rodallega, Hughes.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2315168/Everton-v-FULHAM-Damien-Duff-Emmanuel-Frimpong-return-Steve-Sidwell-starts-match-ban.html#ixzz2RZqYDKxA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Urby Targets Toffees

Urby Emanuelson believes Fulham's performances in the defeats by London rivals Chelsea and Arsenal last week can give them confidence ahead of the final four games of the Barclays Premier League season.

Two spirited displays by the Whites yielded zero points but our on-loan midfielder took an optimistic approach when reviewing the matches.

"They were two difficult games because Arsenal and Chelsea are two top teams," Urby told fulhamfc.com. "Against Chelsea we played well in the beginning but then when we conceded the goal it had an impact on the team. We didn't come out of that and we lost the game.

"Against Arsenal, I think it was a positive match for us – we were one man down after 12 minutes so it was a tough game but I think we fought it like heroes.

"We worked for every yard on the pitch but the bad thing was that, again, we conceded a goal from a set-piece. We created a lot of chances with 10 men so that was really positive but we were missing a little bit of luck to score a goal."

Things don't get much easier for Fulham with a trip to Everton on Saturday, but Emanuelson has faith in his side's ability as they go in search of their first-ever Premier League points at Goodison Park.

"Everton are doing well and they're still hoping to get into Europe so it will not be an easy game," he admitted. "After two defeats we really want to get a good result but we know that they're a strong team.

"But Everton know it will not be an easy game for them, either, and that's also the case for us. I'm looking forward to it - the team is very positive because we played well against Arsenal and now it's time to get a good result again.

"I think we've played very well in our matches away from home. Of course it will not be easy, but we have good tactics and we know how to play. We know what we can expect from each other, so the team is growing. Everton are a good team now – they are in shape – but we believe we're capable of coming away with a good result."

After beginning his career with the Whites on the bench following his January arrival on loan from AC Milan, Emanuelson has worked his way into Martin Jol's line-up of late, starting the last three Fulham matches.

He's impressed, too. After showing glimpses of his undoubted skill at Aston Villa, he caused Chelsea and Arsenal all manner of problems in front of the Cottage faithful, and the Dutchman expressed his delight with how his time at the Club is progressing.

"I'm enjoying it here," he said. "London is a nice city and Fulham is a great football club – it's very warm, everybody is positive, everyone has helped me a lot.

"Now I'm finding my way, I'm starting the matches so I'm happy here and hopefully I can go on in the last four games of the season. I'd like to get a goal and end the season on a good note and then we'll see what happens in the summer.

"I just want to perform well and show everyone at Fulham my qualities. I'm happy here – it's good to play here and it's a nice team. Also, the stadium and the fans are fantastic, so I just want to show them my quality."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/26/urby-targets-toffees?

WhiteJC

Moyes: Cottagers Improving

David Moyes believes Saturday's opponents Fulham are showing signs of recovering from their troubling form on the road.

The Cottagers visit Goodison Park at the weekend, a ground where they are yet to earn a single league victory.

In fact, the Toffees have picked up all three points in the last 19 league encounters between the two on Merseyside.

But it's not just Goodison where Martin Jol's side have struggled to emulate their Craven Cottage displays. A victory at Tottenham Hotspur last month was only their third away from home this term.

"I think Fulham have improved in recent weeks," Moyes noted in an exclusive interview with evertontv.

"They've had a few very good away results - winning at Spurs and I think they were a bit unfortunate to lose at Newcastle.

"They have one or two dangerous players and we'll need to be mindful of that."

Half a century ago, a 4-1 victory over Fulham was enough for Everton to clinch the 1962/63 league title.

As part of the 50th anniversary celebrations, several members of that winning side will be in attendance at Goodison Park on Saturday.

For Moyes, who celebrated his 50th birthday on Thursday, it is pleasing to see the heroes of yesteryear inspiring the Club still today.

He said: "Everton are a great Club for what they do with their former players. It's always good to see so many of them. I see a lot of them in the corridors before and after the games.

"We're always glad to see them. It's a great club for how we look after our ex-players.

"50 years ago when I was born, these players were playing for Everton and it's great to see them still active and around the Club."

Tickets for Saturday's game - one which could yet prove vital in the race for Europe - are available to buy online here or by calling 0871 663 1878.

Alternatively, fans can visit the Park End Box Office at Goodison Park, Everton Two in Liverpool One or TicketQuarter in Queen Square.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2013/04/26/moyes-cottagers-improving?

WhiteJC

Fulham re-consider FC Twente keeper Nikolay Mihaylov

FULHAM are preparing a plan B option in their hunt for a new goalkeeper in the shape of FC Twente stopper Nikolay Mihaylov.

Fulham are re-considering a summer bid for FC Twente goalkeeper Nikolay Mihaylov

Last month Martin Jol denied claims he was interested in signing the Bulgarian international, who played for Liverpool between 2007 and 2010.

However, reports in Holland indicate that Fulham have reignited their bid to bring in the 24-year-old after complications with the deal to sign Roma's Maarten Stekelenburg.

Current number one Mark Schwarzer is yet to agree a contract extension at Craven Cottage with his existing deal set to expire at the end of the season, while back-up David Stockdale is likely to join Hull permanently after spending this campaign with the Tigers.

Earlier this month, Jol said: "We are not talking with Mihaylov. Last year we made an approach but not this year."

Fulham's return for Mihaylov is likely to be a result of problems with their £5.1 move for Stekelenburg, who was close to joining in January.

Stekelenburg was expected to seal a summer move to the West London outfit in the coming weeks, but his agent has dampened speculation by saying: "There are no negotiations."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/394990/Fulham-re-consider-FC-Twente-keeper-Nikolay-Mihaylov?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-sport-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Sport+Feed%29