watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (30/04/10)

Started by WhiteJC, April 30, 2010, 06:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/GeraHamburgReaction.aspx
Gera's Delight

Zoltan Gera spoke of his immense pride on Thursday night after he scored the goal that sent Fulham into the UEFA Europa League Final.

The Hungarian pounced on a loose ball in the Hamburg penalty area with 14 minutes remaining to fire the Whites ahead for the first time and send Craven Cottage into an eruption of joy.

"I'm very happy, very proud and I can't believe it at the moment that we'll be playing in a European Final," he enthused. "So I'll enjoy the moment and then we'll look ahead to winning the Final."

The course of events ran anything but smoothly for Roy Hodgson's side as the visitors took the lead midway through the first-half with a stunning Mladen Petric free-kick giving Hamburg the away goal advantage before the Whites had really even found their stride.

But once again Fulham's belief and desire to succeed in the competition shone through as they staged an epic second-half comeback to seal their place in the final on May 12th.

"I think in the first-half we played well and had a few good chances, but Petric scored a wonderful free-kick," assessed Gera. "At half-time we talked about the first-half and what we needed to do in the second, and I think the team showed we can play well and change the game, so I think we deserved to go through."

And Fulham will face Atletico Madrid in that match after the Spaniards defeated Liverpool after extra time in the other semi-final, but the Hungarian explained that the identity of the opposition was of little relevance at the moment as he and his team-mates struggle to take in the magnitude of their achievement.

"To be honest, I didn't care if it was Atletico or Liverpool. Atletico will be a different style to an English team, yes, but whether or not that's a good thing we will see after the final.

"It will be another tough game, but then Hamburg were a tough team, Juventus were a tough team, Wolfsburg were a tough team so we will see.

"But at the moment we can't take in what we've done tonight. I think over the next few years we'll be able to fully understand, but at the moment all I can tell you is that I'm happy with the supporters and very happy with the Club."

To reach the final two it's already been an incredible journey for the Whites who began their Europa League campaign back in July, and the hero of the hour was quick to extend praise to every one of his squad mates who has contributed along the way.

"I think the Club was very clever to sign very good players last summer and we have proved we have a very good squad in this cup. Lots of times players have come in and performed and you can see it's not just been the same 11 that have played all the way.

"It's been a squad achievement and everyone deserves credit. And as for the Manager, I can't explain how good he is."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/GeraHamburgReaction.aspx#ixzz0mYnq13fg

WhiteJC

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/824048-fulham-comeback-sinks-hamburg-to-net-europa-league-final-spot
Fulham comeback sinks Hamburg as Gera goal nets Europa final spot

Zoltan Gera fired Fulham into their first-ever European final as Roy Hodgson's side created history at Craven Cottage.

Gera ensured the Cottagers will return to Hamburg for next month's final after Simon Davies had earlier cancelled out Mladen Petric's opener to set up a 2-1 aggregate victory.

With Bobby Zamora passed fit just before the off Fulham began brightly and only an outstretched hand from Hamburg goalkeeper Frank Rost stopped the former West Ham striker from scoring with the game just three minutes old.

However, it proved to be a rare breach of a solid Hamburg defence and the breakthrough when it came fell deservedly to the visitors.

Fulham skipper Danny Murphy's foul on Ze Roberto handed the Germans a free-kick 30 yards out and Petric stepped up to unleash a tremendous drive past Mark Schwarzer.

Zamora limped out of the tie 12 minutes into the second half to be replaced by Clint Dempsey. But the change sparked the hosts into life and they were soon level as Murphy found Davies, who flicked the ball past Guy Demel before firing home.

The crowd had barely time to enjoy the moment before Gera slammed the ball past Rost from Davies' corner to send Craven Cottage into raptures

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/rprt/mtch/fulham_2_hamburg_sv_1_522950/index.shtml
Fulham 2 Hamburg SV 1
by Footymad
Match report from tonight's home win in the encounter versus Hamburg SV

Fulham's incredible run in the Europa League continued as they came from behind to beat Hamburg 2-1 at Craven Cottage to reach the showpiece final which will be staged at the German's club own ground.

Having secured a goalless draw in the semi-final first leg in Germany, the Cottagers were boosted before kick-off by star striker Bobby Zamora being passed fit to start.

Zamora threatened early on as he wriggled clear to get a shot in, but visiting keeper Frank Rost was well-positioned to make a block.

Hamburg then began to enjoy much of the possession, but were unable to forge any meaningful openings despite earning several corners.

However, that changed 22 minutes in when Danny Murphy conceded a free-kick 30 yards out and Mladen Petric's fierce left-foot shot left Mark Schwarzer clutching at thin air as it tore into the net.

The goal left Fulham needing two at least to progress and they took some time to recover from the shock of falling behind.

Seven minutes before the break Jonathan Pitroipa blasted a shot narrowly wide from 20 yards, as Hamburg ended the first half in the ascendancy.

Fulham continued to struggle to make headway after the restart and the tiring Zamora was replaced by Clint Dempsey shortly before the hour mark.

Damien Duff shot narrowly wide of the far post following a slick free-kick soon afterwards and then David Jarolim wasted a good shooting chance at the other end.

The Cottagers then blew the tie wide open as Danny Murphy dinked a superb pass over the defence and Simon Davies brought the ball down superbly, turned past his marker and placed the ball past the advancing Rost.

Fourteen minutes from time the turnaround was complete as a Davies corner from the right dropped eight yards from goal and Zoltan Gera latched onto the loose ball and drove it home to send Craven Cottage wild.

Late on Ruud van Nistelrooy poked a half-chance wide of target and Fulham held on through three added minutes to celebrate wildly at the final whistle.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/4/29/1451099/fulham-dramatically-move-on-to-the
Fulham dramatically move on to the finals with 2 - 1 victory at Craven Cottage.
Going into this second leg, Fulham needed a victory at Craven Cottage to move on to the Finals of the Europa League. The first leg at Hamburg was scoreless. Fulham would come from behind in dramatic fashion in the second half. They beat Hamburg 2 - 1 and move on to the Finals. They scored 2 second half goals. The first was a tremendous goal by Simon Davies. The second goal was scored by Zoltan Gera. It was an incredible comeback, and there is only one thing I can say. They did it.

The first half began with a great chance for Fulham. In the second minute, Bobby Zamora got off a great shot. It was nicely saved by Rost.  Zamora was in very close to the goalkeeper. Damien Duff also had a decent chance for Fulham. In the12th minute, a shot by Duff is wide of the net. He had a great opportunity here and just got off a bad shot outside of the box.

Hamburg definitely had some pressure and possession on Fulham in the first half. They would get the away goal they needed in the 22nd minute. Off of a free kick in a very dangerous area, Mladen Petric struck a ball that got by Mark Schwarzer. This was a super goal and there was not much Schwarzer could do.

Fulham would have a good amount of the possession the rest of the half. The only other decent chance they had came in the 33rd minute. Simon Davies had a free kick opportunity in a dangerous area. His kick unfortunately sailed high over the net.

Even though Bobby Zamora was playing he did not look 100% out there.  The half ends 1 - 0 with Hamburg ahead. Fulham would need to come from behind in the second half to move on.

The second half was tense as Fulham were trying to score desperately. Bobby Zamora gave a huge effort today, but he was definitely not 100%. He was replaced in the second half by Clint Dempsey. Neither side were creating a great chance like Zamora had early on in the second half.

That would change in the 69th minute.  Danny Murphy would send in a great ball to Simon Davies who was going toward the goal. He got control of the ball and slammed it past Rost. The game was now tied 1 - 1. However, to move on to the Finals, Fulham needed to score a second goal.

In the 76th minute, Fulham had a corner kick. This was taken by Simon Davies. His kick landed in the middle of the box and landed to Zoltan Gera. He struck the ball past Rost and gave Fulham their second goal. Fulham were now leading 2 - 1.

The last 15 minutes and stoppage time would be difficult to watch for Fulham fans. They needed to hang on and not give up a second goal. The best chance for Hamburg came in stoppage time. Ruud van Nistelrooy took a shot inside the box that just went wide of the net.

Could Fulham hold on to get to the Finals? The answer would be an absolute yes! The game ends and Fulham win 2 - 1. They move on to the Finals in Hamburg.

This has to be the the biggest victory in the history of the club. The dream continues in Hamburg.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=7065
It's Athletico
by lydia on April 29, 2010

Our opponents in the final (that sounds so good!) has just been confirmed and it's Athletico Madrid. Diego Forlan, described as a flop at United, sunk Liverpool with a decent finish when he found himself completly unmarked in the Liverpool box in the first half of extra time.

So no all- England final then but England v Spain. We have beaten teams from all over Europe so why not take Spain down as well? They will be tough  with some excellent attacking players with Surgio Aguro top of the list. Forlan will also be a player who Hangeland and Hughes will want to keep quiet on the 12th May.

Our Fulham heroes be smiling for a while now...and  so will we.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/joy-unconfined-fulham-head-europa-league-final-804961
Joy unconfined as Fulham head for Europa League Final
Fulham made history at Craven Cottage as they came from behind to beat Hamburg and reach the Europa League final, where they will face Atletico Madrid.

A spectacular free kick from Mladen Petric gave Hamburg a half-time advantage

But the Cottagers responded in the second half beginning with Simon Davies' instinctive turn and finish after 69 minutes.

Zoltan Gera then pounced from close range seven minutes later to send the West London outfit into their first European final, 2-1 on aggregate.

Boss Roy Hodgson felt his players had pulled off a ''major piece of history'' in reaching next month's final in Hamburg.

''After going a goal down against the run of play, I think we've made a major piece of history here tonight. That atmosphere is something I think we'll all remember for a long time,'' Hodgson told ITV4. ''I'm a little bit drained of emotion at this particular moment in time - you go through a bit of a rollercoaster out there.

''I've had two and bit years now where I know the players are never going to let me down and are always going to go out and try to do the things we practise. In a semi-final I suppose they could be excused for losing their heads or losing their discipline, but they didn't do it tonight.''

After leading the Cottagers to seventh place in the Barclays Premier League last season, Hodgson concedes his time in the capital has exceeded expectations.

''The time at Fulham has been quite magical for me,'' he said.

''From the moment I came here I established an immediate rapport with the chairman and he's given us the backing we need.

''It's certainly a reward for those very faithful Fulham fans who have seen some bad times through the years and who can now boast they're going to see their team play in a European final.''

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=7067
"...cheers loud enough to be heard at Stamford Bridge..."
by lydia on April 29, 2010

The beautiful quote above was found on the Skysports website and isn't it just wonderful? The fact that we have went further than any other English club in Europe is just incrediable. People often say that the Europa League is nothing to the Champions Leaague but it is to a team like Fulham! We aren't expected to get  into Europe, never mind reaching the final.

If we had of went out tonight, realistically that was our season over. But now we will be using are last couple of games as a warm up for what is to come in Hamburg. It's simply mind blowing for every Fulham fan out there that this has happened to us. Credit must go to the whole gang- MAF included. What a decision he made by making Hodgson manager just 2 and a half years ago.

So the story continues. Lets see how it ends.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6123910,00.html
Hodgson hails Euro heroes
Cottagers boss delighted with run to final

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson believes a place in the Europa League final marks an amazing journey from the brink of the abyss for his club.

The Cottagers defeated Hamburg 2-1 in London in their semi-final second leg on Thursday night to book a trip to their German opponents' home ground on 12th May for a showdown with Atletico Madrid, who defeated Liverpool on away goals.

For Fulham, goals from Simon Davies and Zoltan Gera, which cancelled out Mladen Petric's stunning free-kick, offer time in the spotlight after years in the shadow of London neighbours Chelsea.

Hodgson, a strong contender for the Manager of the Season, also acknowledges a major turnaround in fortunes at Craven Cottage after guiding the club to a last day escape from Premier League relegation in 2008.

"This club has had some bad times and we've looked into the abyss once or twice," said the former Inter Milan and Switzerland boss, who has seen his side eliminate Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus and Wolfsburg in the knockout rounds.

"Everyone is proud that we're about to start our 10th Premier League season.

"And to have reached a Europa League final - and I don't care if you're Fulham or one of the top four - is an outstanding achievement. That will be recognised by everyone.

Glory
"I can only enjoy the moment and make sure that the glory on the players is not deflected elsewhere.

"We're in the final because we've played very, very well throughout and knocked out some very difficult teams, not least Hamburg.

"It's been a wonderful journey that I'm really proud of. The team have produced better football than we're entitled to ask of them."

Hodgson hailed the character his side showed after staging a spirited second-half fightback in their 59th match of a campaign that started in July.

"It was a great performance because it would have been so easy for us to lose our heads after the great goal they scored," he said.

"I thought we were good value for our victory and the character of this team has been proved time and time again.

"Normally success softens you and makes you less determined but that hasn't been the case with this team throughout this season.

"It's been an amazingly long season yet watching the players run around in the second half it didn't look as though we'd played 59 games this season."

Moniz
Interim Hamburg coach Ricardo Moniz had no complaints with the result.

"We just didn't do what we needed. We needed to go forward more," he said. "When we were 1-0 up I told the team to get the ball to the wingers but they couldn't.

"It's a sad evening for us. We lost the game and didn't do well enough and that's that."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2557/news/2010/04/29/1901439/fulham-midfielder-simon-davies-hails-unbelievable-europa
Fulham midfielder Simon Davies hails 'unbelievable' Europa League semi-final comeback over Hamburg
Cottagers European party rolls on to final in Germany...

Fulham midfielder Simon Davies hailed clinching a Europa League final with the Cottagers as 'unbelievable' after his strike helped his side come from behind to beat Hamburg 2-1 in their semi-final tie.

Mladen Petric opened the scoring in the first half at Craven Cottage but Davies' well-executed finish drew the home side level in the second half before Zoltan Gera's winner set up a dream final against Atletico Madrid.

"Yeah that was unbelievable to come back from that. We kept playing our football and our manager [Roy Hodgson] kept saying at half-time 'keep playing your football and you will get the reward' and we did tonight," Davies told ITV after the game.

Fulham's remarkable run has seen them oust champions Shakhtar Donetsk, European giants Juventus, and German heavyweights Wolfsburg and Davies believes the comeback against HSV was befitting of their European campaign this season.

He said: "We've had some tough teams, you know we have played some great, great teams and come from behind. We stuck together and played our football right through and everyone was immense tonight."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/HodgsonHamburgHomeReaction.aspx
Hodgson's History Makers

Roy Hodgson was greeted with a round of applause when he entered the post-match press conference after Fulham's historic win over Hamburg at Craven Cottage.

And speaking after Thursday evening's match, the Manager gave his post-match reaction:

"After going a goal down against the run of play I think we made a major piece of history here in a very special atmosphere," Hodgson said.

"I think lots of teams would have lost their discipline and shape, but we stayed strong.

"This Club has had some bad times and we've looked into the abyss once or twice. Everyone is proud that we're about to start our 10th Premier League season.

"And to have reached a Europa League final - and I don't care if you're Fulham or one of the top four - is an outstanding achievement. That will be recognised by everyone.

"I can only enjoy the moment and make sure that the glory on the players is not deflected elsewhere.

"We're in the Final because we've played very, very well throughout and knocked out some very difficult teams, not least Hamburg.

"It's been a wonderful journey that I'm really proud of. The Team have produced better football than we're entitled to ask of them.  It was a great performance because it would have been so easy for us to lose our heads after the great goal they scored.

"I thought we were good value for our victory and the character of this team has been proved time and time again. Normally success softens you and makes you less determined but that hasn't been the case with this team throughout this season.

"It's been an amazingly long season yet watching the players run around in the second-half it didn't look as though we'd played 59 games this season."