watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Relegation

Started by Andy S, April 29, 2013, 08:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

I don't like to knock the clubs that get relegated. (We've been there too many times in the past. In fact I think this must be the longest period without it) Three have to go every year and it would be a sterile game without relegation and promotion.
The financial side of the game has caused all the problems. Clubs throwing money at the problem in January has compounded it.
Is there a case for the January Window to be closed as clubs want top money for playes and players want top wages to move.
I know it will be our turn again one day but not for a while yet I hope.

Lighthouse

Forget about relegation I think there is now a strong case for the windows to be closed altogether and the old system re introduced. Transfers anytime until the time the season begins to draw to a close. Otherwisr I am not sure what advantage there is to keeping it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 29, 2013, 09:35:07 AM
Forget about relegation I think there is now a strong case for the windows to be closed altogether and the old system re introduced. Transfers anytime until the time the season begins to draw to a close. Otherwisr I am not sure what advantage there is to keeping it.
I fully agree, the January window is a disgrace.

Apprentice to the Maestro

The title seems a bit misleading. This thread is football related but seems more about the January transfer window than relegation. Maybe you could change the title.

I would not like to go back to the free for all throughout the season because there would be the constant threat of a big club stealing your prize player at any point possibly leaving your club in relegation trouble. It is mich fairer on the majority of clubs to know they have most of their squad for the whole season.

One reason why you might want some opportunity to bring in a new player is if the club have key injuries such as to two goalkeepers but there are regulations for emergencies like that that might be sufficient.

TonyGilroy

I'd scrap the window.

Good players always gravitate to the biggest club that will have them but without a window the selling club can always find a replacement.

All the window does is instill unnnecessary urgency and panic and inflate prices.

Bassey the warrior

Disagree. Transfer windows are good for smaller clubs. If a player is playing well for a small club then a bigger club could sign him whenever they want, the smaller club would have very little power to resist. At least in transfer windows they have the upper hand in as much as the buying club has a limited amount of time to get them to agree to sell.

Jimpav

My biggest gripe is the January window. It's frightening to think how many clubs has had their fortunes changed because of this month of madness.

Imagine where we could have finished if Saha had not been sold to United in that season (we would have been in with a chance for Europe) or similarly where we could have been without signing Hangeland in the January (Fizzy pop anyone?)

It is also wrong in that you could be playing a completelty different team to one that another club had faced earlier on in the season. On paper QPR were much stronger come 01 February than they were on 31 December.

One window between the old and the new season would mean that all
clubs would be facing the same squad as each other - a much more level playing field. You could still have emergency loans for keepers or other players in mitigating circumstances (long term injury).

Doing away with the window altogether would not work because it would allow the spendthrifts to run riot - teams like United, City, QPR (RIP), snatching players the moment they hit form. This would unsettle clubs and players as well as preventing the aforementioned level playing field.

I agree that decent players will always gravitate to the top clubs and the biggest spenders but why should the FA make it any easier for them?

FFC1987

Quote from: The Moose on April 29, 2013, 11:02:47 AM

Disagree. Transfer windows are good for smaller clubs. If a player is playing well for a small club then a bigger club could sign him whenever they want, the smaller club would have very little power to resist. At least in transfer windows they have the upper hand in as much as the buying club has a limited amount of time to get them to agree to sell.

Good perspective here.

MJG

A transfer window is ok from my pov. I would reduce the January one to 2 weeks at the end of the month.

It gives clubs/squads a stability even if its only for 4 months, but also means managers have to manage with what they have.
Whats better..to have a player for 4 months with a little speculation about the window or every week the chance he could go?

Lighthouse

Quote from: The Moose on April 29, 2013, 11:02:47 AM

Not sure that is true is this financial climate. Every small club is short of money and if they know that their star player is worth a few pounds now and the player will be unsettled then the pressure is still with the smaller club. After all they can keep him until the next window where his fortune may go down and the pressure is still with the smaller club.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

NorfolkJim

If there was no January window maybe teams would have more incentive to blood their academy players but you would need a limit on squad size for clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd who can just buy up the opposition and put them on the bench.

HatterDon

What happened before there was a transfer window?

a.  A club fighting for the league championship, or a "large" club having a poor season gets a key player injured in March. Suddenly, every other professional club in the top two divisions is destabilized as the club with the injured player looks for the best replacement. Result? Many second tier teams fighting for promotion lose their best player as they're closing in on their goal.

b. A board suddenly realizes that their season will end with no silverware. As attendance wanes, the board looks to sell their most expensive player in order to make up for the expected loss of revenue.

In other words, before there were transfer windows, the big-money clubs still had the advantage they have now. The difference was that the non-big clubs weren't constantly raided for their talent. Despite what most people my age will tell you, the good old days really weren't.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel