more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

lighten up

Started by jimmyc19, April 28, 2013, 06:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apprentice to the Maestro

I with jimmyc19 on this.

I cannot bring myself to read, let alone to respond, to few but the factual threads on here.

Yes, we all agree that it has been somewhat of a frustrating year.

This site has become really dull because the same small group of seriously negative posters and their obsessive repetition of their opinions, usually about how dull and negative the football is.

FFCSteve

Some money will have to be spent to give ourselves a chance of survival in future.
Trouble for us, you spend money for real talent, as soon as they show success top four clubs will always tempt them away!
I think most decent players want fortune & success on the big stage!

I for one just want a stable team, that will not struggle to stay in the premiership. If success comes off the back of that, then all the better!
Give a top four team a run for their money, fear for a team coming to play us at home, a decent cup run, or qualification for the Europa league. Any one would make it all the more exciting for me!

COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

jarv

Expectations!  A few good seasons and any drop in standard is pounced upon. I, like everyone, just want to see Fulham win (every game!) but it is not going to happen. Football supporters (including me) have a built in, hard wired pessimism. We always hope we are going to win but expect to lose/draw. Of course, when we do lose or drop points like Fulham did this season, (Reading, Southampton, Sunderland, Wigan etc), we all go mental on here...Jol out, the end of the world is nigh, what is this crazy dutchman doing? etc etc.

I am seriously disappointed about the last 5 games, but still in 11th spot. Not bad. We can be, maybe are, the new Everton. Fulham have definitely left the likes of Newcastle, Villa, Sunderland in their wake. Somebody said "Swansea". No comparison, only their 2nd season. Let's see where they are in 8-10 years.

Ferguson said Fulham's achievement in Europe was the best ever by any British team. I think the same can be applied to achievement in the Prem. (except the obvious  big4).

No matter, I will be moaning and complaining again next season when we lose to Everton and West ham as always. 092.gif

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on April 29, 2013, 04:06:19 PM
I with jimmyc19 on this.

I cannot bring myself to read, let alone to respond, to few but the factual threads on here.

This site has become really dull because the same small group of seriously negative posters and their obsessive repetition of their opinions, usually about how dull and negative the football is.

....with good reason.

If you're going to complain about the complainers, then the least you could do is pick a complaint that isn't worth complaining about.  :hook:
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

cebu

Quote from: HatterDon on April 28, 2013, 11:51:59 PM
Quote from: cebu on April 28, 2013, 07:16:41 PM
Quote from: Enter the Frei on April 28, 2013, 07:12:17 PM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on April 28, 2013, 07:10:57 PM

I think people are bored with doing OK in this League but the reality is that we will never be better than that. Spending money we don't have to attempt better isn't a sensible policy and, like it or not, our club is too well run to go down that route. 

We need a cup run next season. That is doable.

pretty much my opinion as well, this place can get very depressing when we go through a bad patch of form.

Yes indeed, MAF+Mac are unwilling to do a QPR or a Portsmouth. That means our club has a chance of continuing its existence for the foreseeable future. Long may it continue. Of course a really good cup run and a visit to the new Wembley would be the icing on the cake!
049:gif

So what you're saying is that we would have to commit economic malfeasance in order to do better? That's the ONLY alternative to playing boring defensive football and throwing away our cup opportunities?

Really? Because it wasn't all that long ago that we had a few top 10 finishes and a good cup run or two. Every time somebody on here says that the board needs to buy a few players, for many of you the only response is QPR or Pompey. There are clubs in this league who manage to buy players in an effort to improve or consolidate their higher-than-17th league position without breaking themselves financially -- Everton and Swansea leap to mind. Even Wigan manages to purchase some pretty good players from time to time instead of loaning in over 30 retreads or signing them to one-year contracts.

Everton are traditionally quite a bit bigger than Fulham - why, I can even remember them winning the title once. Yes, their wheeling and dealing has been very successful, but there was a phase when the owners did throw a fair amount of cash Moyes' way for transfers, but they've managed to balance the books over time. I don't see us overtaking them any time soon.

Wigan have been more successful than us in the transfer market, even though they're smaller than us - hats off to their management! Yes, maybe our boys need to do better on the scouting front.

Swansea - I don't know if their business model is sustainable over time. It's really early days yet and I certainly don't have any inside information on it. Do you? If so, don't be a stranger!

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on April 29, 2013, 05:46:53 PM
I with jimmyc19 on this.

....with good reason.

If you're going to complain about the complainers, then the least you could do is pick a complaint that isn't worth complaining about.  :hook:

Thanks for that bitter personal comment.

Why do those in the `dull and boring camp' get so angry when their world view is questioned?

As the thread says, lighten up.

Our football hasn't been as effective in front of goal as it should have been and there is too much passing the ball back to Hangeland and Schwarzer but those think that dull and negative is a fair summary of our football must find everything else in their lives crushingly disappointing to the point of depression.

I think people are bored with doing OK in this League but the reality is that we will never be better than that. Spending money we don't have to attempt better isn't a sensible policy and, like it or not, our club is too well run to go down that route.  

pretty much my opinion as well, this place can get very depressing when we go through a bad patch of form.

Yes indeed, MAF+Mac are unwilling to do a QPR or a Portsmouth. That means our club has a chance of continuing its existence for the foreseeable future. Long may it continue. Of course a really good cup run and a visit to the new Wembley would be the icing on the cake!

So what you're saying is that we would have to commit economic malfeasance in order to do better? That's the ONLY alternative to playing boring defensive football and throwing away our cup opportunities?

Really? Because it wasn't all that long ago that we had a few top 10 finishes and a good cup run or two. Every time somebody on here says that the board needs to buy a few players, for many of you the only response is QPR or Pompey. There are clubs in this league who manage to buy players in an effort to improve or consolidate their higher-than-17th league position without breaking themselves financially -- Everton and Swansea leap to mind. Even Wigan manages to purchase some pretty good players from time to time instead of loaning in over 30 retreads or signing them to one-year contracts.

That's it. Wigan manage to purchase some pretty good players from time to time so why can't Fulham.

Apart from Hangeland, of course.

And Dembele, I suppose.

And our top scorer, Berbatov.

And Ruiz.

And Dejegah.

And we must not keep bringing in nonentities like Diarra and Karagounis.

Not to mention Reither.

jarv

Wigan brought in 4 from Scotland, 2 of those from Hamilton, a conference league standard. How often does that work? Bit of a miracle I say (I am a scot and don't usually knock them).

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on April 29, 2013, 06:38:18 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on April 29, 2013, 05:46:53 PM
I with jimmyc19 on this.

....with good reason.

If you're going to complain about the complainers, then the least you could do is pick a complaint that isn't worth complaining about.  :hook:

Thanks for that bitter personal comment.

Why do those in the `dull and boring camp' get so angry when their world view is questioned?

As the thread says, lighten up.

Our football hasn't been as effective in front of goal as it should have been and there is too much passing the ball back to Hangeland and Schwarzer but those think that dull and negative is a fair summary of our football must find everything else in their lives crushingly disappointing to the point of depression.

My comment was meant in good fun. I fail to see where it got so "personal".... certainly no more personal than "but those think that dull and negative is a fair summary of our football must find everything else in their lives crushingly disappointing to the point of depression" anyway. Please point out the "bitter" bit.

I don't think it to be too much of a stretch for some to think that our recent play and at many times throughout the season was dull, unimaginative, and sometimes negative. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to voice that opinion here if that's the way they see things. The repetition of these complaints bother me no more than the repeated reply that we should accept and be happy we're still in the Prem.

We've had good and bad stretches all season and right now we're playing pretty poorly going forward. I find our recent football to have been pretty dull, yet I don't find myself to be the least bit depressed.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on April 29, 2013, 06:48:07 PM

That's it. Wigan manage to purchase some pretty good players from time to time so why can't Fulham.

And Dembele, I suppose.

And Ruiz.

And Dejegah.

Not to mention Reither.

:033: Don't forget Dempsey. :033: Don doesn't like it when we talk Americans here.  :dft011:

Danitar

Be careful what you wish for just look at the trouble that stoke have got themselves in over trying to do things different such as trying to play a different style of play. Yes I get that some of the football is dull and yes can be quite frustrated but jol hasn't been given a real amount of money to change this squad to play the 'total football', got to remember this is the guy that brought bale into spurs and man united and arsenal bidded for him as well so don't underestimate jol he just needs backing

Lighthouse

Quote from: TonyGilroy on April 29, 2013, 03:13:09 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on April 29, 2013, 02:50:36 PM
My goodness this the most depressing thread I have ever read on here. According to this we are at best average and will never be any better so why complain.

Average in the top league though.

You do remember where we were for 33 years.

Yep I could afford to travel and watch us then. But that was a good few years ago now. The club and us have moved on. I hope.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

JBH

This has been a season of frustration, it started when the 2 D's jumped ship at the last minute leaving MJ in limbo, he was never going to replace them in January as all of the players are over priced during that window so instead he brought in quality on loan, so he has attempted to consolidate and keep us in the Prem which it looks like he has managed.

I expect to see players come in to replace the likes of Dembele and that scanking yank with additional strikers and Reither / Enoh signed on permanent contract.

The new season will show what ambition the club have, oh and don't forget that works is due to start on the New Riverside Stand, so its not all bad is it??

I for one would rather we are like we are than try to be something we're not like QPR.

filham

Hard to be happy and laughing when we have gone five games with but a single own goal on our scorecard.
Six against Reading and then 3 against Liverpool would probably put a smile back on our faces.

cebu

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on April 29, 2013, 06:48:07 PM

And Dembele, I suppose.

And Ruiz.

And Dejegah.

Not to mention Reither.

You seem to have completely missed the point here. Obviously our squad is better than Wigan's - that's why they're seriously threatened with relegation! It's about the money, i.e. cost of acquisition, profit on resale, cost of replacement.

Fulham has not been good at this. Isn't it great that MAF wiped Fulham's debt slate clean! But we shouldn't expect him to keep on doing that - we have to learn to balance the books. OK?