more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (28/04/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 28, 2013, 07:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL FACES HARD SUMMER AT FULHAM

MARTIN JOL faces another frantic summer rebuilding job at Fulham.

Jol's current first-team squad includes five loan players and a number of senior stars who are out of contract at the end of the campaign.

The boss has previously admitted the club's success in reaching mid-table safety this term is a massive achievement after all the upheaval of last year.

Jol's plans were wrecked by the last-minute exits of Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele.

And Jol has warned he may again be forced to patch up his ageing squad with short-term fixes - and compromise his long-term plans.

Ahead of today's game at Everton he said: "We would like to have £25m to spend on a 23-year-old but we can't.

"You have to be creative and that is good in the short term. But in the longer term it is not what you want.

"Of course, I know a lot of players who could do well but structurally for the long term it is not ideal.

"I would love to decrease the amount of loan players in the future."

Jol has ruled out a permanent switch for Urby Emanuelson, who is due to return to AC Milan.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/311482/?

WhiteJC

Arsenal fall behind London rivals in race to sign defender

Fulham boss Martin Jol is reported to be leading Arsenal in the chase to sign Aston Villa defender Matthew Lowton.

Express Sport have reported that the expectation of first team football at Craven Cottage is what is making Fulham favourites to sign the 23-year-old.

However, Arsenal are also keen to sign Lowton as they look to strengthen the squad and possibly find a replacement for Bacary Sagna., according to the newspaper.

Multi-million deal

Villa bought Lowton last July from Sheffield United for £3million and would reportedly expect around £5million if they decide to sell him in the summer.

The versatile right back has been Villa's only ever present in the league this season, making 41 appearances in all competitions, and has scored twice.

Lowton chips in with important goals, and scored the vital one against Stoke City recently that put them ahead and gained what could be the three points that keeps them in the Premier League.

Ironically, it could be staying in the Premier League that makes Lowton decide to stay at Villa.

Key signing

Lowton was Paul Lambert's second signing as Aston Villa manager and he will be keen to keep the player if they stay in the Premier League and build up a young squad that has much potential.

Lowton has had international experience from a loan spell at Sheffield United's sister club, Ferencvaros and has made public his ambition to play for England one day.

A win at home to Sunderland on Monday night might may go some way to settling Paul Lambert's mind.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/arsenal-fall-behind-london-rivals-in-race-to-sign-defender/47905/?

WhiteJC

Swansea cult hero reflects on Fulham adventure

Chico Flores has become a cult hero among the Swansea faithful, with his hairstyle, aggression and rampaging surges forward ensuring his place as a Liberty Stadium favourite.

He further endeared himself to the club's support when he sat in the away end for the victory at Fulham in December, having been rested by manager Michael Laudrup.

"I couldn't play against Fulham so I drove there with my wife," he said.

"We went to the stadium and watched the game with the fans.

"When we got into the stadium, all the fans turned to me and started saying 'Oh my God, it's Chico!'

"They were chanting my name and I decided to join in with the chanting.

"I really enjoyed that match. I felt like a Swansea fan. I'm a footballer but I am always a fan.

"When we scored against Fulham, I was hugging my wife, the fans, everyone.

"I love football. I've been passionate about football since I was a baby.

"There was another game when I was suspended earlier in the season where my wife and I were having a coffee in a hotel in Swansea and the game was on the television. Swansea scored and all the fans came over to me and were hugging me and jumping up and down.

"I love the Swansea fans. I love hearing the fans chant my name. It's great for a new player in a new league."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/swansea_cult_hero_reflects_on_fulham_adventure_1_2170752

WhiteJC

Jol Challenges Loan Stars

Manager Martin Jol has challenged his young players on loan to show themselves worthy of consideration next season after their time away.

Striker Marcello Trotta is one who has impressed after scoring nine goals in 20 appearances for nPower League One side Brentford and a win over Doncaster will see them seal automatic promotion on Saturday afternoon.

"He did very well at Wycombe – didn't score 20 goals, but he made a step," Jol said. "Now he went to Brentford and he made another step. Of course it is not the Barclays Premier League but for me it is important that the young players get games and make progress and, for me, Alex [Alexander Kačaniklić] did that, [Kerim] Frei did that. And of course Trotta did the same.

"For me it is important that the players show a good mentality and that they want to play and improve themselves. Of course he has the skill: the finishing, he is a goal poacher, but there are certain other areas to his game which he can improve and hopefully he will do that."

Another of our young hopefuls is defender Dan Burn, who is currently recovering from injury back at the Club after helping Yeovil into the League One Play-Offs.

"My hopes are that he will be fit and play a big part in the rest of their season. He could probably help them," Jol said. "We have four centre-backs and of course one of them cannot get into the squad... he is young but he is making fantastic progress and they love him there so hopefully we can get him fit in the next week or so and play a role for Yeovil.

"He needs games to improve. We have players in his position and he won't play at the moment so it's a fantastic structure to put them [the youth players] on loan and get guarantees that they will play at another club – and if they play then I am happy to put them on loan."

One player who has been recalled to the First Team from Burnley is Swedish winger Alexander Kačaniklić, proving that there are chances for those who impress while away from the Club.

"I know him very well and that he can play at this level," Jol said. "We started to play him and then he had his breakthrough in the national team. He was Man of the Match a couple of times [for Sweden], but he still needs to work on his productivity – his assists and his finishing.

"He is getting fitter and fitter because he played all these games for Burnley and he is back now, so it is only a matter of: 'Does he start or not?'. He will play a very good role in our team."

When asked about his goalkeeping situation for next season, Jol revealed that Philippines international Neil Etheridge could be given a chance to impress out on loan.

"I've got a very good goalkeeper in Neil Etheridge but he has played two games in his career," Jol added. "It would be better for him to play games at another club and then, in two years' time, he could be the number one. He is a tiger; he is a very good talent."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/27/jol-challenges-loan-stars?

WhiteJC

Turnaround for Murphy

It wasn`t that long ago that it looked as if the Blackburn Rovers career of our former captain, Danny Murphy, was coming to an end.

Rumours were rife that Murphy was going to have has contract paid up and thereby exit the Lancashire club.

Now it seems that all is well at Ewood Park. A change of manager has seen Murphy given a new lease of life and as the Ewood Park outfit look to stave off relegation to League One, rumours are emerging that Murphy will be given a managerial role alongside the current caretaker manager, Gary Bowyer, as the Venky brothers seek to stabilize a club that has rocked more then rolled in recent months.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=317693#ixzz2RjgPJ9AK

WhiteJC

Everton 1-0 Fulham: Martin Jol still aiming for top 10

Martin Jol says Fulham are still striving to finish in the top 10 following their 1-0 defeat at Goodison Park .

Both Dimitar Berbatov and Giorgos Karagounis were forced off with injuries as a Steven Pienaar goal secured victory for the Toffees.

It was Fulham's 20th straight league defeat at Everton and leaves them 11th in the Premier League.

Jol was unhappy with Everton's tough tackling and believed the referee should have shown a red card to some of the Toffees players.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22321689?

WhiteJC

Everton 1 Fulham 0: Pienaar brilliance breaks the sound of silence at Goodison

The sound of silence only increased the sense of uncertainty at Goodison Park yesterday. Sure, the nervous crowd gave a hearty cheer when Steven Pienaar rounded off a sumptuous move for the decisive goal.

And they sighed when substitute Ross Barkley's curling finish was brilliantly saved by Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer in the last minute of normal time.

God is great: Steven Pienaar showing off his spiritual side after his goal

Crisp Toffee: Pienaar side foots the ball past the stranded Fulham defence to put Everton ahead

Vital: Everton have kept up the pressure on Tottenham in fifth after this win

But the cheer at the final whistle was half-hearted, especially when there is still a faint hope of Champions League qualification.

Fans do not seem to know what to make of what is happening - on or off the field. So silence was prevalent.

Silence from David Moyes about his future, when the club that have employed him for 11 years would like to hear if he intends to stay.

'End of the season,' is still the Moyes mantra.

'After 11 years you'd like to think you'd be given the respect and time for the decision.'

Yesterday there was mostly silence from fans, unsure if a Europa League place was worth shouting about.

But the key chance in the 16th minute was so well created it was almost too easy to miss and cried out for appreciation.

Leon Osman's vision gave Seamus Coleman time to cross from the right. Pienaar simply kept his cool to slide his shot past Schwarzer.

'It was a terrific goal, nice intricate play and a good finish,' said Moyes. 'Steven played well, he knitted us together and the goal will do him a power of good.'

Wasted: Dimitar Berbartov fails to convert one of Fulham's precious chances

Eager: Everton's Nikica Jelavic lunges at the ball beflore Fulham's Giorgos Karagounis

Dimitar Berbatov hobbled off early.

'He has a tear in his calf, he says he is a quick healer but who knows if he will play again this season?' said Fulham boss Martin Jol.

His replacement, Mladen Petric, almost netted from Kieran Richardson's cross but they had few chances.

'It's not useless but it's not good enough,' Jol admitted about his side's away form.

Everton seemed lazy in their approach at times.

No wonder Moyes kicked over a water bottle holder in disgust when second-half possession was squandered.

Fulham might have drawn level in the 55th minute but Urby Emanuelson lifted a good chance over the bar.

And Everton should have doubled their lead when Leighton Baines sent in a searching late cross which found Marouane Fellaini but the Belgian bounced his volley over the bar.

Moyes can now look ahead to his 50th birthday this weekend.

Swing it in: Kevin Mirallas tries to get in a cross, well guarded by Kieran Richardson

Hand off: Pienaar keeps Fulham's Eyong Enoh at bay as he runs through the midfield

'It'll be a wild Scottish rave,' he joked. 'All Scottish food and Scottish people, no English at all.'
The wilder the better. Someone has to break this peculiar silence.

I'm behind you: The iconic hair of Marouane Fellani catches up with Pienaar and Enoh

Foul: Bryan Ruiz is pulled down by Fellaini as he tries to shield the ball

Muscle: Anichebe takes the ball down as he powers towards the Fulham defence

Goodison goalscorer: Victor Anichebe congratulates Pienaar after securing Everton all three points

Chat: Martin Jol and David Moyes have a catch-up prior to the start of the game

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2315662/Everton-1-Fulham-0-Steven-Pienaar-goal.html#ixzz2Rji3vZmk
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Steven Pienaar makes the difference for Everton against Fulham

On an afternoon that was as much about the past and the future as the present, there were few signs that an era is ending at Goodison Park. With his contract expiring in the summer this may prove David Moyes's penultimate home game in charge of Everton. However, it merely felt like an end-of-season encounter where, because of Steven Pienaar's brilliantly worked winner, they maintained their faint hopes of qualifying for the Europa League.

"If we do get into Europe we will certainly have earned it," said Moyes, accepting his side will probably have to win each of their three remaining games, which include trips to Liverpool and Chelsea, if they are to finish fifth. While the only title they are on course to win is an unofficial one – they boast a healthy advantage in the private league of the Merseyside clubs – they were able to welcome actual champions on the day. Everton were commemorating the 50th anniversary of their title in 1963, which was secured against Fulham, and five survivors of Harry Catterick's team were afforded a rousing reception when they took to the pitch at half-time.

Moyes has marked a half-century of his own, his 50th birthday having fallen on Thursday. The celebrations were due to take place after the match with the unusually jocular manager saying: "It will be a wild Scottish rave: all Scottish food, all Scottish drink with no one English there at all." The subplot, however, is whether Moyes will be managing Everton when he turns 51.

Increasingly, the indications are that the Scot will remain at Everton. "The goal now for myself and the club is to continue to build on what we've already achieved," he wrote in the match-day programme, suggesting continuity. After the final whistle, he noted: "We have beaten last year's points total and hopefully that shows a sign of progress."

One of Everton's most industrious players is also among their most improved. While there has been a season-long focus on the threat provided by Leighton Baines on Everton's left flank, the goal offered an illustration of the vim and verve of the other full-back, Seamus Coleman. After slick interplay with Kevin Mirallas, Leon Osman released the overlapping Irishman who cut the ball back for Pienaar to slide his shot in. "A nice, intricate move," said Moyes. "A terrific footballing goal."

Before and after, Mark Schwarzer proved unbeatable. Like Moyes, his current deal expires soon and, like the Scot, he looks indispensable. The Fulham goalkeeper blocked Marouane Fellaini's fourth-minute header, setting the tone for his afternoon. When the jinking, juggling Mirallas followed a solo run with a volley, Schwarzer pushed it to safety. When Ross Barkley sensed a first Everton goal, the Australian thwarted him. In between, Fellaini missed an open goal.

"They could have scored at least two or three," the Fulham manager Martin Jol said. His side's openings were fewer, though Mladen Petric almost applied a finishing touch to Kieran Richardson's menacing cross-shot and Urby Emanuelson lifted an effort wastefully high over the bar. While they stirred in the second half, Dimitar Berbatov had long since departed by then. The Bulgarian limped off with a calf tear that may have ended his season. "He says he is a quick healer, so hopefully not," Jol added.

For notoriously poor travellers, the outcome was all too familiar. Fulham have never won a league game at Goodison Park and this was a 20th successive defeat. Their last league draw came back in 1959 – back in the days before Catterick, let alone Moyes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/27/everton-fulham-premier-league?

WhiteJC

Berbatov injured as lacklustre Fulham slip to annual defeat at Everton

Premier League: Everton 1 Fulham 0

A submissive Fulham side slipped to defeat that maintained their woeful record at Goodison Park as striker Dimitar Berbatov exited early through injury.

The match struggled to rise above mediocrity for long periods and the Whites never looked like arresting a run 19 previous league defeats on the blue half of Merseyside.

The way the west Londoners played the first half suggested they knew it was a fruitless exercise.

Their travelling support certainly thought so as only a couple of hundred made the trip north.

Steven Pienaar scored the only goal early in a first half notable only for the lack of effort put in by the visitors, who with mid-table safety assured rarely looked interested.

The result saw Everton's bid for European football received a timely boost thanks to a and rivals Tottenham being held to a draw at Wigan.

Marouane Fellaini's early header was saved by goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer before they took a 16th-minute leader, having assumed control of the gamewithout so much as a word of objection from the visitors.

The Toffees had enjoyed plenty of penetration down the right and it was no surprise when Kevin Mirallas and Leon Osman combined to play in Seamus Coleman close to the byline for him to cut the ball back to the penalty spot where Pienaar ran in unchallenged to side-foot home.

Since his return to the club from Tottenham the South African has scored 10 goals in 46 league matches, having managed nine in 104 during his first spell.

The 31-year-old's contribution this season to 11 league goals - six for himself and five assists - is also his best top-flight return.

Victor Anichebe looped a long-range header wide as the Cottagers showed about as much intent as the empty crisp packet which blew across the pitch midway through the half.

The unkind observer would have said Dimitar Berbatov's exit on the half-hour suggested he had seen enough but in fairness his replacement by Mladen Petric was most likely due to injury.

Fellaini had Everton's two best chances before half-time, curling one effort wide after neat interplay by Pienaar and Nikica Jelavic, before team-mate Anichebe blocked his goalbound effort.

In between those Jelavic, a shadow of his prolific self of 12 months ago, could not decide whether to shoot or cross to Anichebe having been sent clear by Coleman and ultimately screwed the ball across goal and embarrassingly out for a throw-in.

Fulham's first chance came just before the break when Kieran Richardson's cross rolled just out of the reach of Petric at the far post.

They improved in the second half, although it would have been a surprise if they had not, but Urby Emanuelson should have hit the target from Alex Kacaniklic's cross 10 minutes after the interval.

Mirallas' tumble in the area had the Belgium international appealing for a penalty but despite contact from Stanislav Manolev the Everton forward was already falling over.

The Belgian's next intervention was brilliant, however, flicking it over Manolev before hitting a volley which Schwarzer palmed away.

Anichebe then looped a header just wide of the far post as Everton finally regained the dominance they had enjoyed in the first half.

Fellaini would have wrapped up victory five minutes from time but somehow bundled over Leighton Baines' cross from close range while substitute Ross Barkley forced a good save from Schwarzer when put clean through in added time.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/berbatov_injured_as_lacklustre_fulham_slip_to_annual_defeat_at_everton_1_2171024

WhiteJC

Ruiz Reflects

Bryan Ruiz cut a frustrated figure after Fulham went down to a 1-0 defeat to Everton at Goodison Park.

The Whites went into the match having never earned a Premier League point at the home of the Blues.

And they got off to a bad start when Steven Pienaar slotted home Seamus Coleman's cross in the 16th minute.

Fulham improved after the break, but Everton held on to secure the win and Ruiz told the official website: "Everton played well at the beginning. We tried to keep our shape and create chances when we could but we didn't have our best day.

"Goodison Park is a tough place to come – Everton are a good team who are trying to get in Europe so it was always going to be hard. We didn't get off to a great start but I thought we improved as the game went on.

"After the break, we tried to do more to hurt them but we didn't create many clear chances. I was hoping we could do something but we couldn't score."

Urby Emanuelson blazed Fulham's best chance of the game over the bar after being teed up by Alexander Kačaniklić early in the second half and Ruiz continued: "Urby had a good chance. We had a couple more and if that had gone in it would have been a different game.

"Mark Schwarzer made some good saves to keep us in it as we took more of a risk and pushed further forward. Now we have to look to the next game."

Following defeats to Chelsea, Arsenal and now the Toffees, Fulham have failed to score in their last three games.

"Yes, it's a worry," said Ruiz. "We have scored a lot this season so not to score for so many minutes is strange for us. Hopefully we can score in our next game."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/27/ruiz-reflects?

WhiteJC

Un-BEE-lievable! Brentford miss last-gasp penalty for automatic promotion - then LOSE

Marcello Trotta's spot-kick to leap-frog opponents Doncaster hits bar, Rovers break away and net to make themselves League One champs

IT must rank as one of the most incredible 20 seconds in the history of the Football League.

When the founding fathers formed the League in 1888, they surely couldn't perceive that a season could reach the climax -witnessed by the 12,300 fans inside Griffin Park yesterday.

The oldest League in the world has much to be proud about – and some less illustrious moments, too. But the April day in 2013 when Doncaster won the League One title in the last minute of stoppage time in the last game of the season, was truly astonishing. When Brentford won a penalty in the dying seconds they had the golden opportunity to overtake opponents Donny and clinch promotion to the Championship.

Marcello Trotta, the 20-year-old Bees sub on loan from Fulham, told his team-mates that he was the man to despatch the critical spot-kick.

Brentford boss Uwe Rosler later revealed he didn't share the young Italian's -confidence. In fact, the Premier League loanee was -defying his manager's spot-kick orders.

Rosler said: "I don't know what to say. -Trotta was not my first choice to take the penalty, but I'm not going to hang any individual out to dry. I'm not going to say anything more other than we will deal with this internally.

"I have been in football long enough and thought we woud score, but when I saw what -happened out there I was no longer 100 per cent sure.

"The fact is we were 20 seconds away from the Championship, what do you want me to say?" In a memorable BBC comedy Only Fools And Horses, Del Boy Trotter branded his kid brother Rodney as "a plonker."

From now on around Griffin Park there will be fans using the famous put-down to des-cribe Trotta. "Oh Marcello, what a plonker!"

Trotta smashed his left-footed penalty against the cross-bar and Brentford hearts sank.

It was Brian Clough who said "It only takes a second to score a goal."

It actually took marginally longer than that for Rovers to launch the most lethal -counter-attack of the season as Billy Paynter sprinted downfield and set up James -Coppinger to tap in the Rovers winner.

One moment Donny were being consigned to the play-offs. The next, they had won  and with it the League One title.

Jubilant – and astonished – Donny players danced with delight. Brentford's -shell-shocked players collapsed to the turf and held their heads in disbelief.

Brian Flynn, the man asked to guide -Rovers' promotion push after Dean Saunders' -mid-season switch to Wolves, was honest enough to admit: "I thought we had lost it when they got the penalty. I didn't even see it other than the referee point to the spot. I was praying they wouldn't score, I thought it would have been hard on us if they had.

"But when your luck is in it's in. It was -devastating for everyone at the club when Doncaster got relegated last season so all credit to everyone who worked so hard to get us back at the first attempt."

Brentford went into the game with the best home record in their division. But they lost when the stakes were immense.

Triumphant Flynn said: "It's a beautiful game - and crazy at times like these. To go up as champions is a great achievement for us."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/doncaster-beat-brentford-bizarre-fashion-1857206?#ixzz2RjkByg7k
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Jol hoping Berbatov injury will not end striker's season

Fulham boss Martin Jol had said it was too early to say whether the Dimitar would miss the remainder of the campaign after the Bulgarian's afternoon ended early because of injury during a 1-0 defeat at Everton.

The striker had to be replaced after 30 minutes with the Whites already behind from Steven Pienaar's goal.

"Berbatov has got a tear in his calf. He normally says he is a quick healer so hopefully not," the manager said when asked whether he had ruled out the striker for the final three matches.

The 1-0 defeat saw the west Londoners' terrible record at Goodison Park extend to a 20th straight league defeat at the Toffees' home.

Jol admitted his side, safely ensconced in mid-table, paid for their slow start which saw them hand the initiative to their hosts early on and never really retrieve it.

"At the start you saw they [Everton] were eager, hungry, and they caused us some problems but it was only 1-0," said the Dutchman.

"They were a bit more physical and that showed in the first half.

"In the second half we were better in possession and with a little bit more luck we could have had a point but they could have scored two or three goals as well."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/jol_hoping_berbatov_injury_will_not_end_striker_s_season_1_2171065

WhiteJC

Money matters: Dimitar Berbatov AND Martin Jol could leave Fulham because of budget concerns

Bulgarian striker is likely to attract interest after impressing on his return with 13 goals this season

Most wanted: Spurs, Fiorentina and Juventus were chasing Berbatov last summer
Clive Rose

Dimitar Berbatov and his Fulham boss Martin Jol could both be open to moves this summer because of concerns over the club's spending plans, writes the Sunday People.

Jol has been told he will have to work on a tight budget as he looks to make changes to an ageing squad.

And after two years in mid-table at Craven Cottage, it is believed he may fancy a switch back to the German Bundesliga, where he previously played and managed.

Berbatov, who signed for Fulham because of his relationship with Jol, is also said to be frustrated at the club's refusal to strengthen their squad significantly.

Jol's relationship with well-regarded chief executive Alistair Mackintosh is understood to be strained over the issue.

Jol originally signed a two-year deal which would expire next month, though Fulham insist they have activated an extra one-year option for his services – so any interested club would have to pay compensation.

Trouble Dutch: Jol is understood to be frustrated by club's unwillingness to strengthen
Getty

Berbatov also has another year on his deal but Tottenham, Fiorentina and Juventus wanted the 32-year-old striker last summer and, after a 13-goal Premier League campaign, the brilliant Bulgarian is sure to attract further interest.

Both Jol and Berbatov were keen for Fulham to sign Tottenham's England midfielder Tom Huddlestone – with whom they both worked at White Hart Lane – but the Cottagers will not meet Spurs' £7million asking price.

Jol wants to sign Ajax midfielder Eyong Enoh, currently on loan at the Cottage, but has admitted the club will not take up an option to buy the 27-year-old Cameroonian because they believe he is priced too highly at around £4m.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-transfers-dimitar-berbatov-martin-1857829?#ixzz2RjkvXyKe
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook