more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR:What's your favorite whiskey?

Started by ToodlesMcToot, April 29, 2013, 07:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Quote from: Holders on April 29, 2013, 08:02:23 PM
Scotch - Ardbeg Corryvreckan or Laphroaigh Quarter Cask. Irish, then it has to be Bushmills.

Go to the Port Charlotte Hotel on Islay and start from the left...

First of all -- it must be single malt
Second of all -- it should be Scotch or Irish
Third of all -- Jack Daniels is neither Scotch nor Irish so stay away

Now that this is out of the way Laphroaigh is also a huge favorite of mine [although deucedly hard to spell]. It's best enjoyed on a November evening in the north of England after it has been raining for the better part of a month.

Bushmills Single Malt is tasty pretty much all the time. Jamesons is a good bar drink if you're not flush. Irish is a nice counterpoint to single-malt Scotch.

There are some quality single-malt American whiskies, but they're expensive as hell.

Oh, if I haven't already mentioned it, stay away from Jack Daniels. It'll fcuk up your mind if you drink it regularly.

Glad to be of help.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

nevzter

Now that the Irish Whiskys and Scotch are out of the way, let's chat bourbon.  Basil Hayden's is a must - drink it neat or rocks, but I'd suggest not to dilute it with anything else - very, very good bourbon.  Along the same vein, Knob Creek is a good one and relatively inexpensive and good value for price.  My suggestion of Jim Beam may be scoffed at, but it is a tradition - just don't drink too much of it or 'the south may rise again.'  If you just want to get $hitfaced, then go for the Wild Turkey 101 - cheers!!!!

"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

Whiteroom

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on April 29, 2013, 09:09:22 PM
Quote from: Holders on April 29, 2013, 09:01:56 PM
Ah, a man of good taste, obviously. I hope you find them - enjoy!

Curious to hear your thoughts on Talisker. Seems to be a fairly well regarded scotch, but one that I have yet to try. I'm trying to find a few "standard bearer" labels for different regions of Scotland so that I understand what is typical about an Islay, or Highland, or other region. I'm still trying to build a little bit of knowledge about it for myself.

Talisker is hands down my favourite whiskey. I used to live on an island close to the distillery and we drank a fair bit of Talisker. It is peaty, smoky, slightly salty, hints of heather honey...... amazing. You have to try it.

JBH

ron

With a Scottish wife I drink whisky once a year on Burns Night when the Haggis is duly toasted.

And I choose Talisker.

gezkc

Quote from: Whiteroom on April 30, 2013, 10:36:42 AM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on April 29, 2013, 09:09:22 PM
Quote from: Holders on April 29, 2013, 09:01:56 PM
Ah, a man of good taste, obviously. I hope you find them - enjoy!

Curious to hear your thoughts on Talisker. Seems to be a fairly well regarded scotch, but one that I have yet to try. I'm trying to find a few "standard bearer" labels for different regions of Scotland so that I understand what is typical about an Islay, or Highland, or other region. I'm still trying to build a little bit of knowledge about it for myself.

Talisker is hands down my favourite whiskey. I used to live on an island close to the distillery and we drank a fair bit of Talisker. It is peaty, smoky, slightly salty, hints of heather honey...... amazing. You have to try it.

Talisker 10 year old's my favourite too. I first tried it at University when we were in Skye for a field trip and spent an afternoon visiting the distillery. Since then, I've tried several other whiskys, but keep coming back to Talisker. Lovely smoky, peaty taste.

Chrisg3

The best I ever tried was a Glenlevit from George and JG Smiths, retails aroud £50 a bottle

The Equalizer

I've only recently started to get a taste for whisky, but fortunately my flatmate is a massive fan, of both Fulham and whisky.

After a particularly raucous Emergency Bitter gig a couple of weeks ago, we ended up back home drinking 'Lagavulin' 16 year scotch, 'Glenfarclas' and Highland Park.

All very nice.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Jambo on April 29, 2013, 10:37:12 PM
I'm no expert but my old man loves Monkey Shoulder

http://www.monkeyshoulder.com/index.php

I've seen this one around, but I never considered it because it seemed too gimmicky. Have to check it out.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

The Equalizer

If anyone fancies a whisky liqueur, I recommend 'Stag's Breath', which is made from fermented honey. Lovely stuff:

http://www.stagsbreath.co.uk/stags-breath-liquer.html
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

ToodlesMcToot

Have to say thanks for all the suggestions. I'm making a list to taste my way through which should be fun.

Thankfully I outgrew cheap sugary bourbon (Jack Daniels) early in life. I do love a good sipping bourbon every now and again though. Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, and Buffalo Trace are some favorites. Tito's (small batch) and Svedka are my favorite vodkas. Hendricks for gin.

Question: is Talisker considered an Islay? Or is it a Skye? I haven't figured out all the qualities of scotch based upon the region they're from yet.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Fulhampete

18 year old Macallan but Bushmills Blackbush is also pretty good.

The Equalizer

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on April 30, 2013, 01:28:28 PM
Have to say thanks for all the suggestions. I'm making a list to taste my way through which should be fun.

Thankfully I outgrew cheap sugary bourbon (Jack Daniels) early in life. I do love a good sipping bourbon every now and again though. Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, and Buffalo Trace are some favorites. Tito's (small batch) and Svedka are my favorite vodkas. Hendricks for gin.

Question: is Talisker considered an Islay? Or is it a Skye? I haven't figured out all the qualities of scotch based upon the region they're from yet.

Hendricks truly is an amazing gin, however, if you haven't already, you must try Tanqueray 10. Lovely stuff.

Gozorich

I have worked in the Scotch Whisky industry all of my life and have now retired. Many years ago in addition to my normal duties I was given the job of promoting Talisker in the duty free trade. Brands like Johnnie Walker, Haig, Dewars etc. have not more than a dozen complaints about their products per year.

To my horror I saw that Talisker was getting dozens per week, not really that surprising I suppose as it has a very special and aquired taste. I wrote to the retired MD of Talisker and asked him how he responded; it was along the lines of:

Dear Sir,
I understand you think that Talisker tastes like castor oil. May I assure you, sir, that that is precisely how its meant to taste.
Yours etc...

I amended the last line somewhat.

For what its worth my favourite tipples are:

Blended Scotch - Johnnie Walker Black

Malt -any MacAllan, the one the other distillers' drink

Irish - none

American - none

Japanese - wash your mouth out - its like kissing the sparking plugs of an old car when its firing.

Scotch Whisky is spelt without the 'e' - whisky.

Working in the trade has prevented me from becoming a Whisky snob so I'm happy to say that, in my opinion,  as a 'digestif' good Cognac, like Hine Antique is much more appropriate than Malt.

Slainte Mhath!    :wine:

jarv

Mr. Gozorich, you beat me to it with the spelling. Blended, I like famous grouse. What's your opinion ??

HatterDon

Quote from: jarv on April 30, 2013, 05:59:05 PM
Mr. Gozorich, you beat me to it with the spelling. Blended, I like famous grouse. What's your opinion ??

yes, we put an E in whiskey that you don't.

Should we point out that y'all stick a bloody U in 86 words that don't require them? At least we can all agree on the spelling of d'jinn.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Holders

Whiskey in Ireland, whisky in Scotland.

Mr Hatter - "Famos Grose" wouldn't read right to me!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Burt

Good to see you back Mr Gozorich, hope all is well. Sent you a mail...

Gozorich

Quote from: jarv on April 30, 2013, 05:59:05 PM

A good blend but a bit on the light side for me, like J&B, but very modern and brilliantly marketed over the years.

Gozorich

Quote from: Burt on April 30, 2013, 09:15:25 PM
Good to see you back Mr Gozorich, hope all is well. Sent you a mail...

Thanks Burt, will respond in kind.