ScalleysDad

Quote from: BarryP on May 05, 2013, 02:26:15 AM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on May 05, 2013, 12:42:23 AM
Quote from: Chutney on May 04, 2013, 11:46:35 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on May 04, 2013, 11:41:59 PM
Quote from: BedsFFC on May 04, 2013, 11:34:08 PM
We didnt lose today because of Ruiz.

No, we lost cos the team was rubbish.
But, over this season I have constantly seen Ruiz hold the ball too long, get into trouble, and then give the ball away. Greatplayer but he needs to learn how and when to pass the all.

Is this the fault of ruiz? How is he meant to pass the ball when no one is moving into space to receive it? I do agree that he gives the ball away more than he should, but every player in our team is guilty of that this season, ruiz is no more guilty than anyone else.

Fair point. There was a key moment today when Ruiz had the ball and virtually covered the full width of the half way line before running into three or four Reading players, losing the ball and being way out of position. It was about ten seconds of knowing what was about to happen but throughout that ten seconds there were no other players in white calling for or making themselves available. His goal celebrations were not exactly glorious were they and I am not so sure everybody on the pitch in white joined in. Trouble at mill?

I kept waiting for.any other white shirt to flash into view.and was.glad I was not holding my breath or I would have turned blue. I thought Ruiz was at his best when the team movement of the ball increased. I have remained convinced that it is Fulhams stagnant offense that is killing Ruizs creativity.

I have heard 'him' called many things but never "stagnant offense".

nose

i am not a ruiz fan. we didn't lose because of him yesterday or any other day. no one player causes defeat (well sometimes a howler from a defender of goalkeeper) it usually the team that matters.
BUT
Ruiz comes in for stick because a) of the vast sum paid for him, b) he is very ordinary and the price counts and c) no matter how poor he is, and he has been very poor very often, the manger always picks him and rarely takes him off.

If I had in in my squad I would try to play him centralin midfield and much deeper to try and give him a bit more time on the ball and see if he can really deliver some passes. Otherwise as a support for berba he very ineffective.

Chutney

Quote from: nose on May 05, 2013, 05:08:29 PM
i am not a ruiz fan. we didn't lose because of him yesterday or any other day. no one player causes defeat (well sometimes a howler from a defender of goalkeeper) it usually the team that matters.
BUT
Ruiz comes in for stick because a) of the vast sum paid for him, b) he is very ordinary and the price counts and c) no matter how poor he is, and he has been very poor very often, the manger always picks him and rarely takes him off.

If I had in in my squad I would try to play him centralin midfield and much deeper to try and give him a bit more time on the ball and see if he can really deliver some passes. Otherwise as a support for berba he very ineffective.

He is ineffective deeper and yesterday when he was dropped back he  really struggled. Then when he was pushed back up top he became a threat and even grabbed 2 goals. At Twente he was an advanced forward and this is his best position. No matter how poor he plays he's our most creative player and without him on the pitch we struggle to break through defences. I think this is why Jol leaves him on, take him off and we lose our most gifted creative talent. Even when playing badly he can change a game with one pass.
C O Y W

ffctom_b

Personally, on current form, I wouldn't have Berba or Ruiz in the starting line up, both are a luxury a side like ours can't have and are way too similar. The tactics Jol employs of having them both in our team, makes it easy to defend against, as there is NEVER any attacking threat behind the opposition, only in front of them and so it becomes easier to defend and squeeze play, hence why we end up going backwards all the time and then eventually lose possession and lack attacking threat.

Therefore we need to start  with Rodallega up top because he offers that threat in behind, albeit a limited one, but i feel our tactics have been wrong most of the season because Jol has tried to accomodate both Ruiz and Berba in the same starting XI and it don't work. We can only afford to play with one or the other not both.
twitter @tombrowning1977
Blog ffctomb.blogspot.com

Logicalman

Quote from: ScalleysDad on May 05, 2013, 10:40:21 AM
Quote from: BarryP on May 05, 2013, 02:26:15 AM
Quote from: Chutney on May 04, 2013, 11:46:35 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on May 04, 2013, 11:41:59 PM
Quote from: BedsFFC on May 04, 2013, 11:34:08 PM
We didnt lose today because of Ruiz.

No, we lost cos the team was rubbish.
But, over this season I have constantly seen Ruiz hold the ball too long, get into trouble, and then give the ball away. Greatplayer but he needs to learn how and when to pass the all.

Is this the fault of ruiz? How is he meant to pass the ball when no one is moving into space to receive it? I do agree that he gives the ball away more than he should, but every player in our team is guilty of that this season, ruiz is no more guilty than anyone else.

Fair point. There was a key moment today when Ruiz had the ball and virtually covered the full width of the half way line before running into three or four Reading players, losing the ball and being way out of position. It was about ten seconds of knowing what was about to happen but throughout that ten seconds there were no other players in white calling for or making themselves available. His goal celebrations were not exactly glorious were they and I am not so sure everybody on the pitch in white joined in. Trouble at mill?
I kept waiting for.any other white shirt to flash into view.and was.glad I was not holding my breath or I would have turned blue. I thought Ruiz was at his best when the team movement of the ball increased. I have remained convinced that it is Fulhams stagnant offense that is killing Ruizs creativity.
I have heard 'him' called many things but never "stagnant offense".

Chutney, cannot disagree that others are also guilty of giving the ball away too easily, Helga for a start. The issue comes is that we paid a lot of money for a guy that either is not living up to his billing, or doesn't fit in with the rest of the team. He just needs to learn to pass the ball earlier when in his own half. When he's up front with Berba or whomever, you see him lay it off in one or two touches, but from his own 45 he believes he has to run with it.

As for all the other replies talking about the Reading match, I wasn't in particular, I started my reply with "But, over this season.... ". He was the hardest worker out there, but effort counts for nothing when the rest of the team don't want to know either. Lets be honest, the whole team were pathetic yesterday, nuff said.

RaySmith

' His goal celebrations were not exactly glorious were they and I am not so sure everybody on the pitch in white joined in. Trouble at mill? '

Surely this was because the team knew  they had to get on with it, and that losing to reading would be a terrible result.

Ruiz is a one of our most hard working players, and one of our most effecttive, being involved in  everything, and someone who  can offer that extra bit of creativity with a killing pass that makes a goalscoring opportunity against a packed defence, despite often being played out of his best position.

Yes, he can be very frustrating - losing possession in dangerous areas - but they all do that, and to some extent , a player is only as good as those around him.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: RaySmith on May 06, 2013, 06:59:19 AM
' His goal celebrations were not exactly glorious were they and I am not so sure everybody on the pitch in white joined in. Trouble at mill? '

Surely this was because the team knew  they had to get on with it, and that losing to reading would be a terrible result.

Ruiz is a one of our most hard working players, and one of our most effecttive, being involved in  everything, and someone who  can offer that extra bit of creativity with a killing pass that makes a goalscoring opportunity against a packed defence, despite often being played out of his best position.

Yes, he can be very frustrating - losing possession in dangerous areas - but they all do that, and to some extent , a player is only as good as those around him.

I haven't slighted Ruiz at all, re my comment about his expedition along the length of the halfway line, and he may well have had an element of urgency about him throughout the game and after scoring but my point was a goal scored in what was a fight back was hardly recognised by some of the players. There was no crowd lifting fist clinching, applause or cries of "Come on". I would not have been surprised if some of the team apologised to Reading as they trudged back for the restart such was the malaise. It was another facet of a woeful all round performance. Read The Hammy End article about refunds if you have time. A perfect summary.

EJL

Ruiz proved on Saturday the he can be a driving force and bring a bit of directness to the team.

Jack Fulham

I think Ruiz would be more useful if he had Rodallega in front of him rather than Berbatov.

mangoputney

Quote from: Jack Fulham on May 06, 2013, 11:54:23 AM
I think Ruiz would be more useful if he had Rodallega in front of him rather than Berbatov.

+1 could not agree more

Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

Matt Inglis

The guy behind me is the biggest Ruiz basher of all.
Most annoyingly, he pipes up every time Ruiz gets the ball.. something like "oh what the f*** is he going to do this time". More than half the time this is followed by silence as Ruiz does something standard or even decent, but then on the occasions that he does lose the ball the chap starts complaining and saying "every time".
When Ruiz scored and Diddy announced him as the scorer, the fella shouted "w*nker, w*nker". So bloody annoying.
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

Robbie

Ruiz had a good game - it could easily have been three

EJL

Quote from: Jack Fulham on May 06, 2013, 11:54:23 AM
On the few occasions when Jol's started with that, Ruiz dropped too deep and left Rodallega isolated. If they can keep in close proximity of each other like the second half on Saturday then it could be quite effective.

BraveDaveFFC

Yes - I also have a Ruiz hater in front of me!! Thank God there are others like me who can see the bigger picture with what he brings to the team!! If we are fortunate enough to stay up (please God) I think we can rebuild our next season's team around him!! COYW