more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (07/05/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 07, 2013, 04:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

David Stockdale hints at Fulham exit

David Stockdale has hinted that his future may lie away from Fulham as he searches for regular first-team football.

The 27-year-old has been on loan at Hull City this season, where he has made 24 appearances in their promotion-winning campaign.

"I will be going back to Fulham some time this week," he told talkSPORT.

"Unfortunately my chances at Fulham have been a bit limited. Although I love the club, maybe it's time to move if pastures new come."

Tigers boss Steve Bruce has said that he would be open to the possibility of signing the goalkeeper permanently.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/hull-city/transfer-talk/news/stockdale-hints-at-fulham-exit_83004.html

WhiteJC

Stockdale to Miss Out on Hull Move!

On Saturday, Hull City gained automatic promotion, by the skin of their teeth, to the Premier League.

Now many believed that would be the catalyst for David Stockdale to fix up a permanent deal with the Humberside club, as had been previously hinted at.

However that may not now be the case with it being inferred that Hull City may well switch their attentions to the Sheffield Wednesday keeper Chris Kirkland

Apparently, Kirkland played for Steve Bruce when he was in charge of Wigan and his contract with Sheffield Wednesday has a clause in it allowing him to leave for a small fee as opposed to the huge fee it is understood Fulham want for David Stockdale!

It seems to be harsh on Stockdale who made 24 appearances for Hull in what has turned out to be a successful promotion season!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=318675#ixzz2SZg5iZZw

WhiteJC

Fulham defender Riise quits Norway team

OSLO (Reuters) - Fulham left back John Arne Riise, Norway's most-capped player, has called time on his international career at the age of 32.
OSLO (Reuters) - Fulham left back John Arne Riise, Norway's most-capped player, has called time on his international career at the age of 32.

"After a lot of thought I've decided not to continue with international football," he said in a Norwegian FA statement on Monday.

"I am going into the final stage of my career and I'm at an age where I have to take a clear decision if I want to achieve my final goal, to play another four or five years in Europe."

The former Liverpool, AS Roma and Monaco defender has won a total of 110 caps since making his debut against Iceland in 2000.

Riise, a Champions League winner with Liverpool eight years ago, is in his second season with English Premier League club Fulham.

"John Arne has shown great enthusiasm and was always the first man at training and player meetings. I respect his decision and wish to thank him for his contribution," said Norway coach Egil Olsen.

Norwegian FA president Yngve Hallen also praised Riise's efforts for the national team.

"John Arne has had a fantastic history in international football. He has been a decisive player in many matches. His contribution on the pitch has been formidable," said Hallen.

Norway are fourth in World Cup Group E qualifying, four points behind leaders Switzerland and two adrift of Iceland and Albania with five matches to go.

(Reporting by Philip O'Connor in Stockholm, editing by Tony Jimenez)

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1763498/Fulham-defender-Riise-quits-Norway-team?

WhiteJC

Fulham lose but Ruiz is Premier League Player of the Week

It's been another mediocre season for Fulham. They've promised a lot but failed to deliver. Another
disappointing performance occurred this weekend, as Fulham lost at home to already relegated
Reading. It was an embarrassment for the home fans at the Cottage; but there was a positive as Bryan
Ruiz turned up with a brace for the home side.

The Costa Rican international was deployed behind the striker, Berbatov. He failed to deliver much in
the first half as his creativity was lacking and he failed to link up with the striker ahead of him. It was
only in the second half that he picked up his game.

http://blog.squawka.com/2013/05/06/fulham-lose-but-ruiz-is-premier-league-player-of-the-week/201305068648?

WhiteJC

Scouting Derek Boateng: Rumoured Summer Transfer Target for Fulham

Another season draws to a close, and Fulham once again find themselves lolloping around in the middle of the table. The threat of relegation has never really been taken seriously at Craven Cottage this season—despite the club's recent loss to Reading—while the promise of a European campaign to rival those during the reign of Roy Hodgson has been washed away by inconsistency.

Fulham have the building blocks, however, to gently begin to break into the higher echelons of the Premier League, and with a few more astute signings, and the accomplished stewardship of Martin Jol, I can see them finding their way to the top of a bracket containing the likes of Swansea, The Albion and West Ham.

It looks like the wily Dutch manager has already set about recruiting the players needed to forge a little more consistency within the Cottagers' ranks. Reports this week have identified Ghanaian midfielder Derek Boateng as a potential new summers signing for the London side.

The 29-year-old, currently engaged with Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, is a character who has traipsed around many of Europe's leagues without genuinely finding his feet.

He began his career at Liberty Professionals, the same Accra-based club that produced Michael Essien, Sulley Muntari, Asamoah Gyan and Kwadwo Asamoah. After impressing in his homeland, he made his move to Europe aged 16, when Greek side Kalamata secured his services.

After a couple of dominant years with the Black Storm, he was snapped up by national heavyweights and Athens-based giants Panathinaikos. I would argue that the move probably came a little too soon for the young man, and he struggled to adapt to the demands of such a major club and to earn himself a regular spot in the side's midfield.

A change in management didn't help, and after a stint with OFI Crete—where, despite injury and more bad luck, he helped the club to mid-table stability—Boateng was once again on the move. His parent club allowed a switch to Sweden, to the Allsvenskan and to Stockholm side AIK.

When he was a teenager, Middlesbrough had been keen to acquire him, but work permit issues prevented Steve McClaren's side from closing the deal.

It was in Sweden that Boateng truly found his feet, and I would suggest became the player that we see today. Adored by supporters, the defensive midfielder overcame the club's relegation and remained to help the national giants rediscover their spot in the Swedish top flight.

His composed performances in the heart of AIK's midfield once more saw a bigger dog come in for his services, and in 2006, he wrenched himself away from the Venice of the North to sign for Beitar Jerusalem in Israel.

Here, Boateng tasted both Champions League action and the joys of a championship victory—helping the side to their first top-flight title in a decade.

It wasn't long before he was off again though, and after a clutch of honour-laden years with the Menorah, he made his first foray into a major European league, with a January switch to Koln.

Once again the midfielder struggled to make an impact—and, mimicking his time in Athens—his new club didn't hesitate to cut their losses. After only six months and ten appearances in Germany, Boateng headed back south, and to La Liga side Getafe.

In Spain, the Ghanaian excelled—his dynamism and energy complementing the technical players that surrounded him. After two successful years, and despite interest from English clubs such as Stoke City, West Bromwich, Aston Villa and Sunderland, Boateng reluctantly accepted a deal to join ambitious Ukrainian side Dnipro.

Boateng has enjoyed several years under the stewardship of Juande Ramos, and despite not yet managing to break the club's glass ceiling of fourth place in the league, his reputation has been bolstered on the Dnieper River.

Recent reports have suggested that the time has finally come for Boateng to consummate the Premier League rumours that have long accompanied his career. It may be that he is soon exchanging the Rocket City for West London.

Fulham had initially agreed a deal to sign the player in January, a bid to bolster their options for the rest of the season. Unfortunately, once again in dispute with the officials at his club, Boateng couldn't agree terms and the move was postponed.

In the intervening months, Boateng has fought his club at the European Court of Arbitration for Sport, in Switzerland, and, according to Sky Sports, has finally been released from his contract with Dnipro.

With the work permit issues already concluded following January's wrangle, it appears that the only hurdle now facing Fulham is the reported interest of Greek giants Olympiakos—who also harbour desires to bring the Ghanaian midfielder back to Athens.

It appears that Thrylos might currently have the initiative; Boateng has indicated that he has a pre-contract deal in place with the club, and the suggestion is that he will honour this agreement.

With experience in multiple European leagues, at both ends of the table, Boateng is a cultured player who could still offer a lot to a Premier League midfield.

With 46 caps for the Black Stars, he is one of the squad's more experienced campaigners, and is capable both of contributing to a side's effort with valuable goals, or of shoring up a midfield with his intensity and energy.

There is a sense to which Boateng has never quite lived up to his immense potential; once heralded in the same class and category of Michael Essien, a combination of poor form and poor performances meant that it took the player that much longer to grace the leagues of Western Europe.

One word of caution, however, concerns the player's age. With the likes of Brede Hangeland, Dimitar Berbatov, John Arne Riise, Damien Duff and Giorgos Karagounis among Fulham's most influential players, I would argue that Jol should look to youth to improve the club's fortunes.

With the aforementioned stars all coming toward the latter stages of their careers, the manager's time, and the chairman's money, might be better spent investing in younger stars who can buy into the ethos and direction of the club, and help the Cottagers reinvent themselves moving forward.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1630373-scouting-derek-boateng-rumoured-summer-transfer-target-for-fulham?

WhiteJC

Uncertain Times At Fulham Puts EPL Survival In Their Own Hands

As a Fulham supporter, I've experienced several up and down seasons, but the performance on Saturday against Reading at Craven Cottage was disgraceful. Fulham have reached forty points, and should be safe from relegation, but the door is still open, and the club unfortunately did not close it in their 4-2 loss to Reading. As the season has two more matches left for the Cottagers, how will Fulham end this campaign? The best word to describe the state of Fulham right now is uncertainty.

I can stomach a bad loss from Fulham, as long as the effort to win is there. Unfortunately, watching the last match, I can't help feeling this was a match played with no determination and passion by several of the Fulham players. Their approach seemed to be that they would coast through this match.

Well, huge credit needs to be given to Reading manager Nigel Adkins and his players, who showed the determination to earn their victory at Craven Cottage. It would have been easy for Reading not to show up on Saturday since they have already been relegated. They certainly deserve credit for their play and approach.

With Fulham, I've seen them suffer horrible defeats recently but not one to a club that you should beat at home, in front of your supporters who pay very good money to see you play. I think the club and the supporters deserve a better effort from the players than what was on display last Saturday.

The word uncertainty now shows itself for Fulham because Wigan are still alive, and have not been relegated yet. I can tell you that I have seen many Fulham supporters on social media extremely fearful of relegation. I certainly understand the fear, but I just don't see that happening for Fulham.

I feel it is unlikely that Fulham will be relegated for two reasons. First, I do not see Wigan getting two victories in their last three matches. Second, after the embarrassment at Craven Cottage on Saturday, I actually think Fulham will get a result from either the Liverpool or Swansea matches.

After a club has played so poorly, we often see a positive response in their next match. Players don't like to be embarrassed, and the Reading loss might be the medicine they need to kick them into gear in these final two matches of the season.

Many Fulham supporters are counting out these last two matches, but I think they will be pleasantly surprised by the effort, and hopefully the results. To put the uncertainty away this season, it's in the hands of the Fulham players to get rid of the fear of relegation by winning their matches.

Now, the uncertainty for next season needs to be addressed for the club this summer as well. There are many decisions to be made, but one I feel strongly about is the future of Fulham manager Martin Jol. For Fulham to push forward, Jol needs to stay, and he needs the finances to bolster the club this summer. I'm not talking about spending crazy amount of money, but enough to bring quality to the midfield, and also a pure striker. I think eventually you are going to start to see some Fulham Academy players break through, but this should be a gradual process. This mix of money and youth could really insure Fulham's future in the Premier League.

The state of Fulham right now really is "uncertainty", as we don't know exactly what direction they will go. It is in the hands of the manager, players, and management to steer that direction hopefully forward.

http://epltalk.com/2013/05/06/uncertain-times-at-fulham-puts-epl-survival-in-their-own-hands/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EPLTalk+%28EPL+Talk%29

WhiteJC

Fulham transfer blow as AC Milan star set to sign new deal

Mathieu Flamini is ready to put an end to doubts over his future by snubbing Fulham and signing a new contract at AC Milan.

The former Arsenal midfielder had been linked with a return to England and a switch to Craven Cottage this summer.

He has enjoyed a decent second half of the season at Milan, scoring three goals, and his contract expires at the end of the campaign.

Martin Jol was interested in the Frenchman, who would have been available on a free.

But Milan want him to stay and it is understood that he will sign a two-year contract at the San Siro.

Read more: http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130506/fulham-transfer-blow-ac-milan-star-set-sign-new-deal-197035?#ixzz2SZiABnkX
Follow us: @talksport on Twitter
Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130506/fulham-transfer-blow-ac-milan-star-set-sign-new-deal-197035?#oTkbvS5781GEO7A8.99

WhiteJC

Brentford striker is hot to Trotta thanks to come-back show against Swindon Town

Come back man: Marcella Trotta said he had to put in a performance against Swindon after his Doncaster nightmare
Picture: David Purday

Brentford striker Marcello Trotta said he had no choice but to give a perfect performance in the play-off semi-final against Swindon, after his infamous moment in the spotlight a week before.

Trotta missed the last-gasp penalty against Doncaster Rovers that would have secured automatic promotion, having ignored club orders naming Kevin O'Connor as the penalty taker.

A week on, and the 20-year-old turned in a fine display to help guide Brentford to a League One play-off showdown at Wembley against Yeovil Town on May 19.

Trotta said: "It's good that the group still believe in me. Everyone can miss a penalty but as long as you recover it's okay.

"I felt like I had to give a performance to this team and to this club, to do my best in helping them to win this game."

Trotta was taken off with 10 minutes of normal time remaining while Brentford were 3-2 up, so was not in contention to be involved in the shoot-out, but the striker was delighted after the final whistle, he said: "It's amazing. A very, very good experience."

He was also able to shed more light on the penalty responsibilities during the match, adding: "We discussed it with the manager and everyone.

"We had a list of players and, at some points depending on who was on the pitch, I was the designated taker."

Brentford boss Uwe Rosler said: "Marcello is such a young player and what he came through after the Doncaster game a lot of players, even older ones, would hide or not perform.

"The mental strength he has shown today can be a defining moment in his career, and the way he performed shows why I have so much belief in him to play him in such an important game after what happened."

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/brentfordfcnews/10402595._/?

WhiteJC

Sunderland into 13/2 for the drop

Sunderland have been cut into 13/2 for relegation following Monday night's 1-1 draw at home to Stoke.

The point, earned from behind, lifted Sunderland from 17th to 15th place in the Premier League and puts them three points clear of the danger zone.

However, only goal difference will separate them from a place in the bottom three if Wigan win their game in hand - at home to Swansea - on Tuesday.

Despite Sunderland producing a fine effort to come from a goal down with 10 men - John O'Shea scoring the equaliser in the second half - the Black Cats were trimmed from 8/1 to 13/2, a price offered by Ladbrokes, Paddy Power and bet365.

With Reading and QPR already gone, only one relegation place remains to be filled and Wigan remain favourites to fill it at a best of 13/10 (Boylesports).

However, that is likely to change if they defeat Swansea.

Norwich are rated next most likely to go down - Sky Bet offer a top price of 100/30. They, like Sunderland, have 38 points, as do Newcastle. The Magpies will sink into the drop zone if Wigan win on Tuesday and they can be backed at 9/2 (general) to go down.

Southampton, currently 14th on 39 points, and Aston Villa, 13th on 40, are on offer at 33/1 and 28/1 respectively.

Stoke have 41 points and now sit 11th after their point at the Stadium of Light. They are not mathematically safe yet but Midlands-based bet365 feel they are fine and offer 500/1 about the Potters going down.

Remaining fixtures

Stoke (Pld 36 Pts 41 GD -10)

May 12 - Tottenham H

May 19 - Southampton A

Fulham (Pld 36 Pts 40 GD -11)

May 12 - Liverpool H

May 19 - Swansea A

Aston Villa (Pld 36 Pts 40 GD -21)

May 11 - Chelsea H

May 19 - Wigan A

Southampton (Pld 36 Pts 39 GD -11)

May 12 - Sunderland A

May 19 - Stoke H

Sunderland (Pld 36 Pts 38 GD -12)

May 12 - Southampton H

May 19 - Tottenham A

Norwich (Pld 36 Pts 38 GD -22)

May 12 - West Brom H

May 19 - Manchester City A

Newcastle (Pld 36, Pts 38 GD -23)

May 12 - QPR A

May 19 - Arsenal H

Wigan (Pld 35 Pts 35 GD -22)

May 7 - Swansea H

May 14 - Arsenal A

May 19 - Aston Villa H

http://www.teamtalk.com/norwich-city/8696865/Sunderland-into-13-2-for-the-drop?

WhiteJC

John Aldridge: Edgy Fulham can now be exploited

WITH the pressure off, Liverpool FC can go out and enjoy their final two Premier League games against Fulham and QPR.

We need to be wary of a backlash at Craven Cottage on Sunday after Martin Jol's side got beaten 4-2 at home by relegated Reading.

That was an awful result for Fulham and suddenly they aren't completely safe. They could be a bit edgy as they won't want it going down to the last day of the season and we need to start well and try to take advantage of that.

With a five-point gap, it doesn't look like we will get above Everton and finish in the top six now but we have to keep fighting right to the end.

It's possible that West Ham could get a draw at Goodison this weekend and then Everton have a tough trip to Chelsea. All we can do is try to finish with two wins and see what happens.

Read more: Liverpool Echo http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2013/05/07/100252-33293429/?#ixzz2ScPcu1mf

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Martin Jol unsure over David Stockdale future

Martin Jol is prepared for Premier League newcomers Hull to make an offer for goalkeeper David Stockdale.

The keeper ended the season on loan with Steve Bruce's side and played in their final match of the season, a 2-2 draw with champions Cardiff that secured them a place in the top flight.

And Jol, who has Mark Schwarzer as his first-choice shotstopper at Craven Cottage, is ready for an approach.

"I'm happy for him and he's happy for Hull," Jol said.

"I don't know what will happen. Maybe they want to keep him, and if so they will have to make an offer and if not, he will come back."

Read more: http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/130507/fulham-manager-martin-jol-unsure-over-david-stockdale-future-197069?#ixzz2ScPsDXLa
Follow us: @talksport on Twitter
Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/130507/fulham-manager-martin-jol-unsure-over-david-stockdale-future-197069?#APteAHg729FpvJwq.99

WhiteJC

Fulham Deaf FC win cup

Congratulations to Fulham Deaf FC (FDFC) who have become the 2013 British Deaf Champions after a 5-0 win over St John's Arsenal in the British Deaf Cup Final at the weekend, meaning the side will head to Europe next season.

A double strike from Jacob Willis helped to seal the win alongside efforts from Alex Bovino, Jonathan Evans and Daniel Waller. And it means that the Club have now qualified to take part in next season's Deaf Champions League.

Prior to making the Cup Final, Fulham Deaf required an extra-time goal to get past Rutherford Deaf (Newcastle) 2–1 in the semi-final in Liverpool, so the team were under no illusions as to how difficult it would be to complete their task and take the trophy home. The Final had all the makings of a classic as both sides are really seen as the giants of Deaf Football.

It has been said that English players can't change systems but Fulham Deaf proved on Saturday that this is not the case with our players. They played a different formation with a different set of tactics to stop the threat of St John's formidable three strikers. They handled the changes fantastically and showed composure as they rose to the occasion. They were also defensively the more organised team; when this was added to their counter attacking force, the game really lived up to expectations.

However, the first quarter of the game saw St John's dominating early proceedings and forcing Fulham back, pressing high up the pitch and ensuring that Fulham found it difficult to keep possession.

Nonetheless, their pressing game soon subsided and Fulham started to switch back to their trademark passing and counter attacking game. With 20 minutes on the clock, Fulham won a corner. Philip Swift floated an accurate ball into the area which was well-met by Bovino, whose fine header found the top corner to give Fulham a 1-0 lead. On the half-hour mark, the Whites doubled their advantage: Daniel Hogan's free kick found Evans who flicked the ball in off the back post. Shortly before half-time, the Whites scored their third goal of the match, with the lightning quick Willis beating the St John's keeper to a deep ball to give Fulham a three-goal lead at half time.

When the second half began, St John's began to re-discover their pressing game and applied pressure on the Whites' defence for the first 15 minutes of the second period. The opposition's efforts proved to be in vain, though, as Fulham defended superbly, drawing in the opposition and then creating a fourth goal on the counter; Willis adding his second and Fulham's fourth after rifling home a first time shot past the keeper at the near post after being played through by Mark Sinclair. Waller finished the game off in the last few minutes, running through from midfield and slotting the ball past the keeper after some clever play between the front three.

Manager Ayad Sarraf praised "the team spirit, and commitment in one of the club's greatest victories in this competition," while Fulham Deaf Captain Jonathan Evans paid tribute to his teammates, saying: "It has been a long season, with a number of highs and lows. It speaks volumes for the team's character, application and talent that they were able to deliver such a stunning performance on the highest stage in British Deaf football. I'm very proud of them. The challenge now is to maintain that standard."

"The British Deaf Cup is the biggest competition for us here at Fulham," Head Coach Chris McGinn told the official website. "It's a bit like the FA Cup, but it covers the whole of the UK. St John's Arsenal are a real formidable side and their front three are Great Britain international players. They have a real quality about them and we worked Thursday night on our tactics to change the formation and the way that we play.

"I've been at the Club for five years now and it has sent a bit of a shockwave through the game here. We've had a massive response from fans and on social networks, a little shocked that, not only did we beat St John's, but that we gave them a bit of a battering. This is probably my proudest time at Fulham. To get there is such a great result and I'm so proud of everyone here for what they have achieved."

Fulham FC Vice Chairman, Karim Fayed, said: "I would like to congratulate Ayad Sarraf, Chris McGinn and the entire Fulham Deaf Team for a remarkable achievement in becoming the 2013 British Deaf Champions and qualification for next season's Deaf Champions League for the first time since 2008.

"The squad has been together for a decade and this is the fourth time the players have lifted the British Deaf Cup. Next season promises to be another exciting campaign for the Fulham Deaf Team, well done to everyone involved."

FDFC Line-up (4-2-3-1) : Sam Kemp, Jack Harding, Daniel Hogan, Jonathan Evans (Capt), Nick Gregory (Daniel Rumney 80), Daniel Waller, Alex Bovino (Thai Rickford 80), Philip Swift, Mark Sinclair, Joe Wylde (James Paull 75), Jacob Willis. Subs not used : Sam Arnold and Ross Ward

Man of the match : Mark Sinclair

Images courtesy of Lucy Hawes

For more news and information on the Fulham Deaf Team, visit their website: http://www.fulhamdfc.com

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/07/fulham-deaf-fc?