https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (10/05/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 10, 2013, 07:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Ex-Fulham midfielder issues Liverpool warning

Sean Davis

SEAN Davis has warned Fulham fans not to read too much into Luis Suarez and Steven Gerrard being missing from Sunday's clash at Craven Cottage.

Gerrard will miss the rest of the season with a shoulder injury, while Suarez continues to sit out his ban for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.

But former Fulham midfielder Davis, who now does corporate work for Fulham on match days, knows Liverpool will still be dangerous without their deadly duo.

He said: "Suarez not playing is a boost and Gerrard will be out too, but they have still got a lot of quality coming in.

"Dean Sturridge is always a threat as he has great ability, and I played a lot with Glen Johnson at Portsmouth, who's having a great season. But it's not about stopping individuals as they've got quality all over the park.

"Being at home will make a difference as we're always known for our good home form, and it has been vital for us staying in the Premier League."

For all that, Liverpool, who beat Fulham 4-0 at Anfield earlier in the season, put six goals without reply past Newcastle at St James' Park in their last outing.

Davis said: "They won comfortably at Anfield, but we normally do well against Liverpool, and last season we done the double over them.

"Going to Newcastle and winning 6-0 was a freak result, let's hope they don't repeat it. I think Fulham will shade it as we need it more. Liverpool will still want to finish above Everton, but Fulham will want to make amends for the Reading game.

"The last four fixtures have been tough though. We got a great result at Spurs and were cruising against Chelsea until David Luiz's wonder-strike, while the Arsenal game turned on a harsh sending off for Steve Sidwell."

Sean Davis will be appearing at Craven Cottage ahead of the Liverpool game on Sunday, between 1-3pm, to meet fans as part of the Barclays Pingit Photobooth tour. He is an ambassador for Barclays' 'Don't pass it, ping it' campaign. Pingit is revolutionary technology developed by Barclays which allows people to transfer money to each other using their mobile phone. Users do not need to be a Barclays customer. For more info go to www.barclays.co.uk.

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/05/09/82029-33306983/?#ixzz2SrsnZiPt

WhiteJC

Keeping an Eye on Ibrahim

Tabloid speculation has Fulham Football Club possibly linked with a Manchester City player.

Along with a host of other clubs, including Arsenal, Tottenham, West Brom, Aston Villa and Swansea, it`s reckoned that Martin Jol is poised to make a move to bring the twenty-two year old midfielder Abdisalam Ibrahim to Craven Cottage if his ongoing contract contra-temps with the Etched Stadium based club doesn`t reach a successful conclusion.

Is it a possible rumour to keep an eye on, we can only wait and see!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=319009#ixzz2Srt3Nl5f

WhiteJC

Agger a bigger loss than Gerrard for Liverpool's trip to Fulham
Both players will miss the remainder of the season because of injury

With Liverpool stuck in no man's land in seventh spot in the Premier League, unable to challenge those above them or be caught by the chasing pack, it makes sense to give Steven Gerrard and Daniel Agger the rest of the season off.

Agger will sit out the games with Fulham and QPR to undergo treatment on his back, while Gerrard requires surgery on a shoulder problem.

There is little debate that Martin Skrtel will come in for Agger, while Brendan Rodgers has options in terms of replacing Gerrard.

Jonjo Shelvey would be the like-for-like replacement, while if Rodgers takes the more adventurous route for the trip to Craven Cottage, Fabio Borini or Suso could start in the wider areas, allowing Philippe Coutinho to switch to a more central role off Daniel Sturridge.

With Gerrard recognised for his usage of the long ball, any of these midfield changes would potentially see Liverpool become less direct and with an even greater emphasis on retaining possession.

However, the absence of Agger could be a problem in attempting to work the ball through midfield as it is no secret that he is the far superior of Liverpool's three first-choice central defenders in terms of being comfortable in possession.

Not allowing Agger time to build from the back has been the focus of some of Liverpool's opponents of late, whereas they have been nowhere near as quick to press partner Jamie Carragher, who is unlikely to play game-changing passes from defence.

With Fulham having Dimitar Berbatov in attack, who it is fair to say is not as diligent in his defensive work from the front as other Premier League strikers, Agger would have had the opportunity to instigate attacks from deep.

It is doubtful whether Skrtel or Carragher have the same capabilities, meaning Liverpool may struggle to work the ball through midfield in the manner in which they would like.

What it also means is that Fulham may be overpriced at 11/4 to beat Liverpool for the third time in four meetings, while Liverpool to score under 1.5 goals at 10/11 may be worth some interest.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/agger-a-bigger-loss-than-gerrard-for-liverpools-trip-to-fulham_153625.html

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Liverpool

Fulham were tripped up by Reading last week so I think they will be even more keen to sign off with a decent display in their last home game of the season.

I think it will be an open game, because neither side can really go anywhere - Fulham are not mathematically safe but they are not in any real danger.

Galatasaray reportedly want Dimitar Berbatov so will
he still be at Craven Cottage next season?

Liverpool are without Steven Gerrard after his shoulder injury and I think the Cottagers might just edge it.

There has been a lot of speculation about Dimitar Berbatov's future at Craven Cottage but I think Fulham manager Martin Jol is a big factor in whether he stays or goes.

The fact he is in London will make a difference to Berbatov too - I think he is happy and enjoying his football at a team where he is the fulcrum of everything that happens which, as we know, is important to him.

Unless Berbatov is absolutely itching to go somewhere else then I am not sure a move will happen.

Prediction: 2-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22443178

WhiteJC

Fulham look at Man City's Ibrahim

Tabloids link us with the 22 year-old midfielder, whose contract runs out at the end of next season

Fulham are amongst a host of Premier League clubs who are keeping an eye on Manchester City midfielder Abdisalam Ibrahim.

The 22 year-old wants out of the Etihad after failing to receive assurances over his future and City would appear happy to sanction a cut price move for a player they had previously rated very highly.

While his status in Manchester appears to have withered away, Arsenal, Everton and West Bromwich Albion are supposedly following the youngster after a series of impressive performances on loan for Norwegian side Strømsgodset.

It's clear to see why Martin Jol would be keen on the player, given our manager's willingness to add a younger edge to our starting eleven. Having failed to impress substantially under Roberto Mancini, he should be available at a reasonable price, too.

He's been dubbed as the new Patrick Vieira and has also been likened to Yaya Toure, though both appraisals have yet to be proven at Premier League level. Strong in the tackle, Ibrahim could certainly be a worthy asset in midfield but he would have to outshine both Emmanuel Frimpong and Eyong Enoh, players Martin Jol is sure to prefer.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/summer-transfer-rumours/2013/5/9/4315888/fulham-man-city-abdisalam-ibrahim-arsenal?

WhiteJC

Berbat-off? Fulham star could be tempted by move to Turkish giants Galatasaray

Fulham fear Galatasaray's riches will lure star striker Dimitar Berbatov away this summer.

The Turkish club are are preparing a £5million bid for  the former Tottenham and Manchester United man, capped 77 times by Bulgaria.

Galatasaray are willing to offer the 32-year-old a lucrative pay package that would top his Craven Cottage deal and officials at the Turkish giants are said to be increasingly confident of snatching Fulham's prize asset.

On his way? Dimitar Berbatov could leave Craven Cottage after one season in favour of Galatasaray

Berbatov has scored 13 goals from 31 appearances since joining Fulham last August after four seasons at United.

Last month he became the first Fulham player to score in four consecutive League games since Steed Malbranque in 2003.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2322237/Dimitar-Berbatov-leave-Fulham-Galatasaray.html#ixzz2Srut3E3b
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Liverpool (Sunday)

Kick off 15:00

- Fulham are five points clear of the relegation zone with two games to play, but need to be cautious of complacency after relegated Reading beat them 4-2 last weekend.

- Two goals from Bryan Ruiz were not enough to distract from the fact that Fulham now have just one point from six games, and still have an outside chance of being dragged into the relegation fight.

- However, Fulham fans can take heart that against a different keeper the scoreline could have been different. Alex McCarthy made 13 saves against Fulham, the most by any keeper in the last round of games.

- At their own defensive end, Aaron Hughes holds the second cleanest defensive record in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index, having averaged 541 minutes and 15 seconds between fouls this season, committing just four in total.

- Brede Hangeland, meanwhile, is one of five players in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index to have made 200 or more interceptions so far this season. Hangeland has 203 to his name in total. Hangeland is also ranked third for blocks with 37 this season, and second overall for defensive contributions with 338.

- Behind Hangeland, Mark Schwarzer will become the third goalkeeper in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index to make 200 saves this season. He's made 199 to date.

- Liverpool battled out a 0-0 draw in the Merseyside derby in their last league outing.

- Pepe Reina can be thanked for keeping a clean sheet in that game, making 12 saves in total, the second busiest keeper in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index for the last round of games.

- Glen Johnson has impressed going forward this season, but he may wish to concentrate on setting up colleagues rather than going for goal. He has the most 'expensive' goal in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index, having required 44 shots at goal to score once, more than any of the other players in the Premier League to be stuck on one goal. He's 6/1 to be on target on 888sport.com.

- That's 8 more shots at goal than any other defender in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index, ahead of second placed Daniel Agger who has had 36 shots at goal in total, scoring three goals in the process.

- Liverpool's defenders may feel they can get forward and have an attempt on goal with a midfielder of the defensive quality of Lucas in front of them, Lucas is one of 22 players in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index to have attempted 100 or more tackles this season, and one of five to have done so maintaining a tackles won percentage of 60% or over (62.1%).

- Even more impressive is how quickly Lucas has got to that milestone. He has attempted 100 tackles in just 1862 minutes this season. To put that in context, Lucas has made 111 tackles in 1862 minutes, while Mohamed Diame of West Ham, who has made the next highest number of tackles, has taken 759 minutes longer to attempt just two more tackles.

http://www.empireofthekop.com/anfield/2013/05/10/fulham-vs-liverpool-sunday/

WhiteJC

One Last Time

Eyong Enoh is the cover star and main interview in the final official matchday programme of the season on Sunday.

The on-loan Ajax midfielder has made a big impression in his short time in SW6 and he reflects on his stint with the Whites ahead of the clash with Liverpool at the Cottage.

"Fulham gave me the opportunity to play on a regular basis, and I like to think that I've found my rhythm again," he said. "I just wish there were more than two games of the season left!

"I believe that I've done well in the matches that I've been part of, and while that makes me happy, I can't help but feel torn because results haven't gone our way in that same period."

Read the full interview with Enoh in Sunday's programme, which is also available to download digitally from 9am on the day of the game.

Elsewhere in the only matchday magazine that matters are exclusive interviews with Martin Jol, Urby Emanuelson, Lucas Leiva, Ian Rush, Simon Morgan and Brian McBride.

Jol pens his regular Manager's notes, Emanuelson takes the Fulham 50 challenge, while McBride reflects on the 2012/13 season in our Legends column. Liverpool legend Rush runs the rule over the Cottage encounter and Morgan is the subject of our 'Cult Heroes' feature.

With all the usual news and views from in and around the Club, plus much more besides, the official Fulham programme really is the essential matchday accessory. Priced £3.50, the 84-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Fans can also order copies online by heading here.

The digital edition of the programme is available from 9am on Sunday. Click here for details on how to download your digital edition.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/10/one-last-time?

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

Matthew Briggs came on in the 73rd minute as Watford fell 1-0 to Leicester City in an open npower Championship Semi-Final First Leg.

The Hornets were on the back foot in the first half as Leicester pushed on and kept the second-highest top scorers this season away from goal in the opening exchanges.

As the game wore on, Matej Vydra and Alex Geijo wasted good chances for Watford and they were made to pay as David Nugent headed his first goal in 17 games in the 82nd minute after a looping free-kick from Anthony Knockaert to secure a slender lead.

Elsewhere, Josh Pritchard played 74 minutes for Tromso as they lost 2-1 away to Rosenborg in the Norwegian Tippeligaen on Wednesday.

Stefan Strandberg opened the scoring after 18 minutes and Tarik Elyounoussi doubled the lead before half-time. Czech forward Zdenek Ondrášek got one back, but Tromso could not sneak an equaliser and are now ninth in the table with 10 points from their eight games.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/10/loan-round-up?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Liverpool preview
Liverpool will be without key duo Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez for the trip to Fulham on Sunday.

Steven Gerrard: In action against Fulham earlier this season

Reds captain Steven Gerrard is out as he has undergone shoulder surgery to end his ever-present record in the Premier League this term.

Gerrard will be joined on the sidelines by Daniel Agger who has also been ruled out of the final two games of the campaign with a back problem.

Martin Skrtel is set to replace Agger at the back alongside Jamie Carragher who will take the captain's armband from Gerrard.

Jonjo Shelvey could get the nod to replace Gerrard in midfield unless Brendan Rodgers decides to shuffle his pack and play Fabio Borini and switch Jordan Henderson to central midfield.

Striker Suarez is still missing as he serves the third game of his ten-match suspension.

Martin Kelly and Joe Allen are out for the rest of the season, whilst Raheem Sterling also remains sidelined and is unlikely to be involved.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is sweating over the fitness of Mladen Petric and Simon Davies before finalising his side.

Petric (hip) and Davies (hamstring) both missed last weekend's home defeat to Reading and they face late fitness tests to see if they can return to the fold.

Steve Sidwell is still suspended following his red card against Arsenal, while Mahamadou Diarra (knee), Ashkan Dejagah (ankle) remain on the sidelines through injury.

Alexander Kacaniklic will be hoping to start against his former club after impressing off the bench against Reading.

http://www.football365.com/liverpool/8702855/-?

WhiteJC

Premier League preview: Fulham v Liverpool

Liverpool play Fulham at Craven Cottage on Sunday as they look to hunt down Everton and claim sixth position in the Premier League.

Brendan Rodgers' side drew 0-0 with their Merseyside rivals at Anfield last Sunday, and currently sit five points adrift of Everton with just two games remaining.

They will be without captain Steven Gerrard for the last two games of the season, the England skipper is due to have surgery on a recurring shoulder injury.

Daniel Agger will also sit out the remainder of the campaign as he looks to cure a long-standing back injury, while Luis Suarez continues to serve a ban for biting Branislav Ivanovic.

Midfielder Steward Downing says he hopes to remain at Liverpool ahead of Sunday's fixture. The England international was told he could find a new club in January, but injuries allowed Downing a run in the team and he has gone on to impress Rodgers with some enterprising displays.

"That's football for you," Downing said.

"Me and the manager have always had open conversations and I found it difficult at the start of the season because I didn't play, it wasn't that I wasn't playing well.

"Once I got in the team and had a run of games my form picked up and I think the team got better and better and we've had some good results, especially after Christmas."

Fulham, who sit in 12th position, will be looking to come back strong after a disappointing 4-2 defeat against already relegated Reading last Saturday.

A Hal Robson-Kanu brace as well as efforts from Adam Le Fondre and Jem Karacan did the damage for Fulham, despite two strikes from Bryan Ruiz.

Steve Sidwell will serve the third of his four-match suspension after being red carded against Arsenal in April, while Mladen Petric will also be missing with a knock.

The reverse fixture in December finished in a comprehensive 4-0 victory for Liverpool with Martin Skrtel, Gerrard, Downing and Suarez all getting on the scoresheet.

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2013/May/10/premier-league-preview-fulham-v-liverpool/?

WhiteJC

Strong Finish

On-loan midfielder Urby Emanuelson has backed Fulham to finish the season strongly following a disappointing run of results.

The Dutchman, who came in from AC Milan until the end of the campaign in January, believes the Whites will respond positively this weekend with the visit of Liverpool.

"We've been on a disappointing run lately, and we know that we have to put that right," he told the official website. "That's something that we all want to do, that is the focus. The defeat against Reading last Saturday was a bad result - we're better than that.

"It was a difficult one to take, especially at home where you want to be doing better because you're in front of all your fans. We know they were frustrated and hopefully we can make it up to them with a strong finish to the season.

"We have two games left to make that happen, two games that we know will be tough because Liverpool and Swansea City are both good sides. It's important that we finish well, though, it will lift the Club going into the summer months.

"This week, training has been good and I think we will respond positively against Liverpool. They have some very good players and have the ability to hurt us, but at the same time, we can do the same to them.

"We have to have confidence and believe that we can get the three points. I know that Fulham beat Liverpool at Craven Cottage last season, so it would be nice to be involved in a similar victory. It's our last game at home, so that would be a good way of thanking the fans for their support this season."

In making his Fulham debut in the 1-0 defeat against Manchester United at the beginning of February, Emanuelson has made 11 appearances for the Whites. The 26-year-old admits that it took him a little while to adjust to the demands and pace of the Barclays Premier League, but it's a challenge he has relished.

"It's been a fantastic experience for me personally," added Urby. "I had always wanted to play in England and it was a great opportunity for me to do that, and to represent a good team like Fulham.

"It was tough at the beginning and it probably took a little while to find my feet and get used to playing for a new team with new players, and in a league where the football was different to what I was used to. I'm just concentrating on the final two games now, I just want to help Fulham get the points they need and finish in the best position possible."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/10/emanuelson-strong-finish?

WhiteJC

Jan Molby: Liverpool FC's game with Fulham is Martin Skrtel's chance to prove himself

Liverpool FC footballer Martin Skrtel

Steven Gerrard and Daniel Agger will miss Liverpool's final two games of the season. Gerrard is to undergo shoulder surgery whilst Agger will have treatment on an on-going back problem.

With Agger out, it presents Martin Skrtel with an opportunity to remind everyone that he is still here.

Since January, Jamie Carragher and Agger have been the Reds' central defenders but with Jamie retiring at the end of the season, this is the perfect opportunity for Martin to prove himself again.

With Steven sidelined, it gives Brendan Rodgers the chance to try new things in the midfield.

Liverpool have not been without their captain all season but this allows the manager the chance to have a further look at others.

I always remember what Brendan said to Jonjo Shelvey earlier in the season.

The manager told him he had a big part of play in the future of the club and could be scoring 20 goals a season.

It hasn't quite worked out that way for Jonjo this season of course but maybe Sunday's trip to Fulham is a chance for him to play.

Liverpool still have plenty to play for and the players will treat this game like any other.

But they will be able to relax that little bit more, as they did at Newcastle.

If ever there was a team going through the motions then it was Fulham, they are definitely on a beach somewhere.

And if Reading can score four past them then Liverpool are certainly going to get plenty of chances this weekend.

Read more: Liverpool Echo http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-columnists/jan-molby-column/2013/05/10/jan-molby-liverpool-fc-s-game-with-fulham-is-martin-skrtel-s-chance-to-prove-himself-100252-33311082/?#ixzz2StDXnrld

WhiteJC

No goodbyes for Mark Schwarzer yet

Green giant: Mark Schwarzer is not concerned about his Fulham future, even though his current deal expires at the end of the season

Mark Schwarzer says he has yet to be offered a new contract at Fulham as he prepares for what could be his final game with the club at Craven Cottage.

The 40-year-old goalkeeper's deal expires at the end of the season and although he has been in talks with the club, nothing has been firmed up yet.

However, Schwarzer says he is not concerned about his future and has no thoughts about retirement, even if his five-year stay at Fulham comes to an end this month.

"There has been a discussion but there's no actual offer on the table at the moment," said Schwarzer.

"Basically we're in a position where we're going to wait until the end of the season and see where we go from there. I'm just concentrating on playing football and playing as well as I possibly can. One way or another it will be sorted out. I've got no concerns about that, whether it's at Fulham or elsewhere."

Schwarzer added another milestone in his career last month when he became the first foreign player to reach 500 Premier League appearances. With 502 games to his name, he is ninth on the League's all-time appearance list.

Asked whether he would prefer to remain in England or if he would  consider playing in the Australian A‑League, Schwarzer said he was  keeping all his options open.

"Nothing has been ruled out but,  to be fair, I've not even considered anything yet because it has all been just about playing the last couple of games of the season and doing my best for Fulham," he said. "If I can do that, one way or the other something will come of it."

With the World Cup in Brazil next year, Schwarzer is determined to play on at club level so he can add to his 105 caps.

Schwarzer said: "I want to help Australia qualify for the World Cup and then look forward to hopefully a good season and then hopefully go to a World Cup. That's the plan."

His immediate focus, though, is on helping Fulham get the points to keep them in the Premier League.

Five losses in their past six games means Fulham can still be relegated but a win — or possibly a draw — against a Liverpool side with little to play for on Sunday will preserve the club's  top-flight status.

"It has been a little disappointing with how we've gone over the last few games and we need to make sure we pick up something at the very least and make sure we're mathematically safe," said Schwarzer.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/no-goodbyes-for-mark-schwarzer-yet-8610700.html

WhiteJC

Which Liverpool youngsters could Brendan Rodgers field against Fulham?

Liverpool are set to finish in seventh regardless of the results in their final two matches, and Brendan Rodgers might use this as an opportunity to give some players more experience in the Premier League.

With Everton five points ahead of Liverpool in sixth place, and West Brom seven behind them in eighth, there is almost no chance that the Reds will be able to change their final position in the Premier League over the last couple of matches.

Brendan Rodgers has shown throughout the season that he is keen to give youngsters a chance in the first team, and with little to play for he might view their matches with Fulham and QPR as the perfect chance to grant fringe players and youth prospects some Premier League experience.

Some have already played a big part in Liverpool's campaign. Suso, Raheem Sterling (if fit) and Andre Wisdom might expect to bolster their appearances in the first half of the season with starts in the final two games. Wisdom in particular will hope to impress enough to be considered as a replacement for Jamie Carragher, who is retiring at the end of the season.

Fabio Borini's horrific luck with injuries this season has stopped him playing more matches, but a couple of strong performances against Fulham and QPR could give him a springboard for next season.

Another young forward, Adam Morgan, might also feature in the absence of Luis Suarez. Daniel Sturridge is clearly going to be the first choice striker for the last couple of games, but Morgan could also be used.

Teenager Jordon Ibe could be a more surprising choice on the wings, although there is also a case for giving Oussama Assaidi a chance to finally make an impact in what has been a disappointing debut season.

Rodgers' choices this weekend might be affected by the U21 side's match with Manchester United next Tuesday, and perhaps the game against QPR on the last day is a more likely opportunity for the fans to see some of the academy in action. However Liverpool have plenty of talented young players on the books, and Rodgers will surely give some of them a chance to impress at the weekend.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/05/10/nh-which-liverpool-youngsters-could-brendan-rodgers-field-agains/?

WhiteJC

Fulham Retain U11s Trophy

Congratulations to Fulham's mixed Under-11s, who defended their Premier League Schools Tournament title at Anfield on Thursday.

Fulham, represented by the Corpus Christi school, navigated the group stages with ease as they scored 18 goals and conceded none and advanced to a Semi-Final meeting with Everton's Farnborough Road Junior School, who had been champions two years earlier.

The pair both had 100 per cent records, but Fulham claimed a 3-0 win to reach the Final without having let in a goal and set up a match against Hendrefoilan Primary School, representing Swansea City.

Swansea scored within five seconds of the Final's kick-off, but Fulham battled back bravely in the last five minutes with goals from Jamal Musiala and Ben Elliot to pinch a 2-1 win and ensure that the replica of the Barclays Premier League Trophy was theirs.

"Once the second goal went in I knew we had won," Fulham captain Jordan Aina told premierleague.com after the game. "It feels better than last year, especially with the new trophy, which looks cool. We had more experience. I was just excited."

Tony Mesourouni, Corpus Christi's PE teacher, was proud of what his boys had done, stating: "This year was harder because of the expectation after winning last year, especially having brought up so many supporters today. It [the early goal] was a shock to the system, especially in a 10-minute game.

"But we got one and thankfully the second followed. This has put the school on the map and gets more people involved in football there, which is what it is all about."

Images courtesy of the Barclays Premier League website

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/10/u11s-retain-title?

WhiteJC

Rodgers should start Andre Wisdom at Fulham

In the absence of Daniel Agger, missing to undergo back-strengthening treatment, Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers could choose to start youngster Andre Wisdom alongside Jamie Carragher in the final two games of the season.

Since the disappointing FA Cup defeat to Oldham in January, where defensive duo Martin Skrtel and Sebastian Coates were outmuscled by Matt Smith, Rodgers has turned to Jamie Carragher to partner Agger in defence.

Carragher has started 13 of the 14 games since then – the one he missed being the defeat at Southampton.

Meanwhile, Skrtel has made just two starts – the defeats at Zenit St. Petersburg and Southampton. Coates has not played a single minute. Both are clearly out of favour.

Wisdom, who celebrated his 20th birthday this week, started the season being called up after Glen Johnson was required to play at left-back, but has since taken a back seat – along with Suso and Raheem Sterling. He was most recently involved in the first-team as an unused sub against Newcastle.

But Widsom, who occupied right back early in the season, has been performing impressively for the under 21′s in his more natural position of centre back.

With nothing to play for in the remaining two games, it would provide the perfect opportunity to blood the talented defender in a central position – and give him the experience and learning of playing alongside Carragher before he retires.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2013/05/brendan-rodgers-should-start-andre-wisdom-at-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Liverpool (1500)

While defeats to Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton can be easily enough excused, Fulham's display in a 4-2 defeat at the hands of Reading last week suggests that their season has come to a premature end. With safety secured and summer firmly on the horizon, Martin Jol's side have simply eased off and are there for the taking. Liverpool have rightly developed a reputation as a side more than capable of bullying opponents with either a lack of quality or desire and with just one defeat in 11 they arrive in good form. Typically we find them under-priced and I can't recall the last time I've backed them, certainly at home, but this looks a perfect occasion for a rare Liverpool punt. Fulham's form is just so poor and odds-against about Liverpool really looks enticing, particularly as their style of play won't be threatened by Fulham's approach to the game. The absence of Luis Suarez was felt in the intensity of a Merseyside derby last time but a previous mauling of Newcastle, a side whose profile at the time was similar to Fulham's, demonstrated that they can perform without the Uruguayan against this calibre of opponent. Liverpool must win this if they're to keep alive any hope of finishing above Everton and look worth backing to do just that.

Verdict: Fulham 1 Liverpool 3

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/335/8702944/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Liverpool

By Martin Fisher
Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Sunday, 12 May

Fulham are expected to be without striker Mladen Petric due to a hamstring injury.

Midfielder Steve Sidwell is again absent through suspension.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is out for the season after having surgery this week on his persistent shoulder injury.

Top scorer Luis Suarez is still suspended, while defensive stalwart Jamie Carragher plays his penultimate match for the club.

MATCH PREVIEW

Fulham's name has never been mentioned as speculation has mounted in recent weeks about which clubs might be dragged into the relegation issue but if the season had another four games to go rather than two, there would be a few thousand fingernails being bitten and chewed down at the Cottage.

Fulham hit the magic 40-point mark four weeks ago and have been stuck there ever since. Mathematically, they still need another two points to be safe, but realistically their current points tally coupled with a healthy goal difference will be enough.

So motivation needs to come from a desire not to finish another steady season this badly. Four straight defeats culminating in last week's 4-2 humiliation at home to already relegated Reading is their worst run in over three years.

The rot needs to stop now otherwise Fulham will record their lowest Premier League finish and their lowest points tally since their last day survival in 2008.

On the face of it Liverpool have nothing to play for, unlikely to move up or down from seventh place.

They arrive in confident mood, unbeaten in their last six games and looking to rip apart another defence on foreign soil. Newcastle were lucky to escape at 6-0 at St James' Park a fortnight ago and only champions Manchester United have scored more away goals than Liverpool.

I'll be thrilled if Philippe Coutinho can pull the strings again. Equally I'd be chuffed if Dimitar Berbatov hits the heights. As long as somebody, somewhere scores. After three successive goalless draws for Match of the Day at Swansea, Reading and West Ham I'm beginning to fear I'll never commentate on a goal again!

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Both sides have won two matches each out of the last four fixtures between the teams.

There has not been a draw at Craven Cottage in in 11 Premier League fixtures. Fulham have won five matches and Liverpool six.

There have been three players sent off in the last three clashes between the two sides at Craven Cottage.

This is the 64th meeting between the sides. Liverpool have won 36 times, Fulham 12 and there have been 16 draws.

Fulham
In scoring his first goal against Reading last Saturday, Bryan Ruiz was the first Fulham player to score a Premier League goal in 588 minutes (excluding own goals).
Fulham are yet to win a game after going behind this season, picking up only five draws from losing positions.
They have won none of the eight games they have played this season without Steve Sidwell in the Premier League (D2 L6). In the 28 matches Sidwell has played Fulham have won 10 (D8 L10).

Liverpool
Liverpool have lost just one of their last 10 league matches.
They have taken more shots per game (19.2) than any team in the top five divisions in Europe.
Brendan Rodgers' side have struck 19 times in the 15 minutes immediately after half-time; more than any other team in the Premier League.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22417779?

WhiteJC

Galatasaray Prepare £5m Bid for Fulham Forward Dimitar Berbatov

Turkish side keen on Craven Cottage star.

Turkish giants Galatasaray are reportedly readying a £5m bid for Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov as the Istanbul side look to bring in another high-profile addition according to the Daily Mail.

The 32 year old Bulgarian international has enjoyed his first season at Craven Cottage, scoring 13 Premier League goals thus far for Martin Jol's side.

Jol would be loathed to lose Berbatov but the former Man United and Tottenham man may yearn for another shot at the 'big time' and given that Galatasaray can offer the flair player Champions League football there may be a chance that the striker pushes for a switch this summer.

Galatasaray brought in Wesley Sneijder and Didier Drogba in January and may well be keen to bring in other additions this summer and no doubt the Super Lig side can also offer Berbatov a more lucrative wage packet than the one he receives at Craven Cottage.

Fatih Terim's side have already clinched the domestic title this term and progressed through to the Champions League quarter-finals before being narrowly defeated by Real Madrid.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/05/10/galatasaray-prepare-5m-bid-for-fulham-forward-dimitar-berbatov/?