watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Picking a New Manager for Man U

Started by Forever Fulham, May 10, 2013, 12:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

I was listening to John Harkes on the radio this morning on my way in to work, and he and Neil Barnett (or maybe it was Stan Colleymore) were guessing as to who would likely get the offer to replace Sir Alex.  Harkes noted that in Man U's entire history there has only been one 'foreign' manager, an Irishman , and only for a single season.  He then ruminated about identity politics, and how the club's faithful wouldn't accept Mourinho, but would throw the cloak over the puddle for Moyes.  That bugged me for a good 15 minutes as xenophobic in today's world.  I think it's important the manager of any team have a command of the native language, can speak easily with a majority of his first team (conversant in Spanish wouldn't hurt).  But if, say, Mourinho was available and wanted the job, and for a reasonable amount of money (from the Glazer's perspective), I wouldn't hesitate to give it to him.   I like Moyes a lot.  But Jose has proven himself to be one the best managers in the entire world.  So it's a no-brainer for me.  What do the rest of you think?  Is there something sacred about Man U that cries out to the national character so that only a British manager should lead the club?

Rupert

If you go back to when Fergie was appointed as their manager, at that stage there were, I believe, hardly any foreign managers in English football. Had he been made Fulham manager back then, and had we held on to him and marched on to the sort of success United have had, right now they would be saying the same about us. Fulham would not have had a foreign manager in our entire history.
It sounds like a couple of talking heads making up nonsense, to be perfectly honest. It wasn't Talksport, was it?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Forever Fulham

Wasn't Talksport, but I get your point and somewhat agree with it.