watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Danny Hoesen

Started by MOR :, May 09, 2013, 09:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOR :

Ex Fulham player Danny Hoesen was one of the scorers as Ajax beat Willem II Tilburg 5-0 to win the Dutch league title.

Not bad for a discarded Fulham player...

btings

Appeared in 17 games (13 as a sub), scored four goals.  That's a lot more playing time than Enoh had at Ajax (2 sub appearances).

malcbridger

And we own 30 percent of the lad.

MJG

Another youngster never given a real or any chance in the first team squad.

L-Wizzy

he is good, shame we let him go
Twitter: @officialslimwiz

HatterDon

Roy didn't like or trust kids. I wonder how many others we may have lost.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

btings

In general, I think youth evaluation is hard.  Everybody makes mistakes.  I know Liverpool fans who are still kicking themselves for giving us Kaca basically for nothing.

But I also am mystified by the idea that a lot of people have that by the time somebody is 20 or 21 you can tell if they're going to be good or not.  To a certain extent, I understand it -- people don't get radically faster after that age, and if their technique is terrible, it can only improve so much.  But 21 year-old kids are still growing!  They may get stronger, and they will certainly get smarter.

I don't have a better system in mind, but mistakes in talent evaluation are made constantly.  The lack of meaningful analytics probably plays a role, as it makes it very difficult to predict how much of a player's problems have to do with the system or the other players around them.

MJG

Quote from: btings on May 10, 2013, 05:04:09 AM
In general, I think youth evaluation is hard.  Everybody makes mistakes.  I know Liverpool fans who are still kicking themselves for giving us Kaca basically for nothing.

But I also am mystified by the idea that a lot of people have that by the time somebody is 20 or 21 you can tell if they're going to be good or not.  To a certain extent, I understand it -- people don't get radically faster after that age, and if their technique is terrible, it can only improve so much.  But 21 year-old kids are still growing!  They may get stronger, and they will certainly get smarter.

I don't have a better system in mind, but mistakes in talent evaluation are made constantly.  The lack of meaningful analytics probably plays a role, as it makes it very difficult to predict how much of a player's problems have to do with the system or the other players around them.
The trouble is we have a long history of not giving players a chance by the time they are 21. (Frei & briggs are an exception)
By the time your 21 if you are not at least on the bench and making a few apperances I think its time for both parties to move on.
I think it was Wayne Brown who left us aged 22 having made 1 apperance for us.
every year I kept reading he's had a contract extension and every year we never saw him. (I know he had some injurys as well)
Ok I know he's now playing in Finland and was not prem quality, but we persisted with him for years.
Now i read on here that players like Burn & trotta should be loaned or sold next season. Why? They have served their time and its time we gave them a chance, a chance I say to play in at least the first team pre season games to stake a claim.
They might turn out crap or they might like some players do shine playing at a new level.
Other clubs blood players of 18/19/20 but we seem to have to wait till they are like 22 to decide on them.

HatterDon

A good example of not giving up is Everton's striker Anichebe. He's been loaned out for seasoning for the last four years and has finally become an important member of their first team squad. The thing is that, during those four years, he often was in the game day squad and made the occasional substitute appearance even when he was very raw. The effect was that when his talent and experience levels merited a significant role, he was ready to play before the big crowds at Goodison.

I would LOVE to see us do that with our young and developing players. If nothing else, giving a decent show to Trotta, Burn, Grimmer, etc., just might increase their price tag should we decide to sell them. I know "you win nowt with kids." The thing is WE win nowt anyhow, so where's the harm?

cmg

I agree totally that, given our present talent pool and performance level, it is high time that some of our potential stars are given the opportunity to realize (or not) that potential.

However, I was stuck by the number of correspondents who have tended towards the idea that we have 'a long history of not giving players a chance by the time they are 21'. I know statistics are not to everyone's taste, but I had a quick glance at the records and rather surprised myself by discovering the following players, who played at least 100 games for us, were given their chances at an early age:

Debut at 17: Bobby Robson, George Cohen, Alan Mullery, Tony Gale, Jeff Hopkins, Paul Parker, Sean Davis.
             18: Johnny Haynes, Steve Earle, John Dempsey, Les Barrett, Robert Wilson, Dean Coney, Leroy Rosenior, Justin Skinner, Duncan Jupp.
             19: Tony Macedo, Stan Brown, Fred Callaghan, Allan Clarke (debut for Walsall at 17), Les Strong, Jim Stannard, John Marshall, Collins John.

It is only very recently that we have relied almost entirely on established talent. Maybe the emergence of Frei and Kacaniklic (and, hopefully, some others) will change this trend.

fulhamben

might be way off the mark, but im certain we still own 50% of hoesen
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

HatterDon

Quote from: cmg on May 10, 2013, 02:50:26 PM
I agree totally that, given our present talent pool and performance level, it is high time that some of our potential stars are given the opportunity to realize (or not) that potential.

However, I was stuck by the number of correspondents who have tended towards the idea that we have 'a long history of not giving players a chance by the time they are 21'. I know statistics are not to everyone's taste, but I had a quick glance at the records and rather surprised myself by discovering the following players, who played at least 100 games for us, were given their chances at an early age:

Debut at 17: Bobby Robson, George Cohen, Alan Mullery, Tony Gale, Jeff Hopkins, Paul Parker, Sean Davis.
             18: Johnny Haynes, Steve Earle, John Dempsey, Les Barrett, Robert Wilson, Dean Coney, Leroy Rosenior, Justin Skinner, Duncan Jupp.
             19: Tony Macedo, Stan Brown, Fred Callaghan, Allan Clarke (debut for Walsall at 17), Les Strong, Jim Stannard, John Marshall, Collins John.

It is only very recently that we have relied almost entirely on established talent. Maybe the emergence of Frei and Kacaniklic (and, hopefully, some others) will change this trend.

If I'm not mistaken, Collins John is the only one on that list who is more recent than 25 years ago. That's a pretty long history.

cmg

Quote from: HatterDon on May 11, 2013, 03:34:11 AM

If I'm not mistaken, Collins John is the only one on that list who is more recent than 25 years ago. That's a pretty long history.

There you go, you youngsters throwing your youthfulness into an old man's face yet again. Duncan Jupp seems like only yesterday to me (what day was it yesterday?)  092.gif

It's a fair point, though (even allowing for the fact that Sean Davis was only 8 years old 25 years ago.)

To complete the statistical picture: Apart from Briggs, Frei, Kacaniklic and Liam Rosenior, the only teenagers we have given debuts to since we were in the PL have been the following, none of whom has (yet) made much, if any, of impact, at least for us. Most did not even feature in PL matches:
Alex Smith, Pajtim Kasami, Lauri Della Valle, Gael Kakuta (who wasn't ours), Marcello Trotta (total 5 min in two appearances), Chris Smalling, Joe Anderson (yes, I had to look this one up, too! He was an extra time sub for Zoltan Gera in a League Cup match.), Wayne Brown, Darren Pratley (who had a pretty decent career elsewhere), Adam Green, Malik Bauri, Dean Leacock.

Does this lack of success explain our current reluctance to experiment? How much of a 'failure' can this, in fact, be counted? Smalling has been a success (although only in financial terms as far as we are concerned). Rosenior was a success. Frei and Kacaniklic are going the right way and we still have hopes of varying degrees of intensity for some of the others.

sunburywhite

Malik Bauri
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†

2003–2005 Fulham 5 (0)

2005–2006 Woking 7 (0)

2006–2007 New Zealand Knights 19 (2)

2007 St Albans City 13 (0)

2007–2008 Sutton United 4 (0)

2009– Chessington & Hook United[1] 41 (20
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

sunburywhite

Anderson began his career as a youth player at Fulham before he was promoted to the reserve team and was loaned out to Woking during the second half of the 2008–09 season.

Anderson made his first team debut for Fulham on 23 September 2009 in a 2–1 League Cup defeat at Eastlands against Manchester City, coming on as a replacement for Zoltán Gera in extra time.

Anderson was five times an unused substitute for Fulham's Europa League group matches against Amkar Perm, CSKA Sofia, Basel and Roma (home and away).

Lincoln City

On the 31 December it was announced that Anderson would be joining Lincoln City on a permanent deal with the Imps that will run until the summer of 2011. The deal was officially completed when the transfer window reopened on 1 January 2010.

On 9 February 2011, it was announced that Anderson had been training with Grimsby Town ahead of a potential loan move, however Grimsby did not follow there interest in the player and he returned to Sincil Bank after spending a week with The Mariners

In May 2011 he was not offered a new contract after a mass clear out of players following the club's relegation from the Football League.

In August 2011, he joined AFC Hornchurch, debuting in the club's Isthmian League Premier Division 2–1 defeat at Lowestoft Town on 29 August 2011. Anderson was voted Hornchurch's 2011/2012 player of the season.

In September 2012, Anderson signed for Billericay Town
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me