more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Martinez - thanks but no thanks

Started by Jimpav, May 08, 2013, 07:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on May 08, 2013, 07:48:53 PM
The man himself is a tactical genius pioneering the 343 into English football successfully.

The only reason they will go down this season is the players' inability to kill of games in which they are the better side.

That's the only reason, is it?

So the fact that in the four PL seasons prior to Martinez, Wigan conceded 52, 59, 51 and 45 goals, whereas the past four seasons has seen them ship 79, 61, 62 and, currently, 67 goals, has no bearing on their league position whatsoever?

With numbers like that in the goals-against column, can you really claim that he has employed the 3-4-3 system successfully?  When it comes to sorting out his team's defending, Martinez would seem to be far from a tactical genius.

Arthur

Quote from: HatterDon on May 10, 2013, 01:08:43 PM
what sort of "information" would you like to see to justify "a huge upgrade over Jol?" Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Any information would do; anything to show that yours is not a spurious remark.

The fact that 'you'll see what you can do' suggests you decided to make the claim first and work out whether or not it's actually true afterwards; generally, not to be recommended most would say.

jmh

Martinez also did a really nice job at Swansea.  Plus he isn't even 40 yet, which means that A) he's probably still improving as a manager, and B) teams might look on him as a possibility to be their manager for an extended period of time.

The Bronsons

I agree Martinez seems a nice guy, and I like Wigan as a club and hope they stay up. But for me the sign of an exceptional manager is that you do better with what you have than you are expected to. Wigan actually finish usually just about where you would expect a very small, relatively-established premier league team to finish, i.e. nearly-but-not-quite relegated.

Hodgson (us, WBA), Moyes (Everton) = exceptional; Martinez... he might become exceptional but so far, just okay.

MJG

I would take him in a heartbeat. I saw more tactics and football played by Wigan today than I have see Jol produce in the last six months.

Ordar

Tactically superb today. I would have taken Martinez before today, and still would (obviously). I think a win against Villa might be enough to keep them up, as long as they don't get slaughtered against arsenal. Can see either Newcastle or Norwich losing both games

Berserker

I think a bigger club than Wigan will be after him in the summer
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Artful Dodger

I'd have him, especially after the way Wigan have just stopped City playing. And Mcmanaman has just got himself a move to a bigger club as well!!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Ordar

McManaman was fantastic today. Direct players like him will always cause teams problems

FOOlhamfighters

He would be great, but I can't see it happening, plus I'd prefer a bit of stability and to see where jol could really take us with a bit more funds

domprague

Yeah, Martinez, I mean what's he ever done? Yeah, OK, he won more major trophies today than we have managed in 134 years. Yeah, OK, he's kept up a club that is small, in a small and poor town where the majority of people prefer rugby league while sides such as Newcastle and QPR have gone down. OK, his teams play football that's great to watch. OK, yeah, he loses his best players every year yet keeps his teams playing good football.
But aside from that, what makes you think he could manage the mighty Fulham?
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

epsomraver

Quote from: domprague on May 11, 2013, 11:56:02 PM
Yeah, Martinez, I mean what's he ever done? Yeah, OK, he won more major trophies today than we have managed in 134 years. Yeah, OK, he's kept up a club that is small, in a small and poor town where the majority of people prefer rugby league while sides such as Newcastle and QPR have gone down. OK, his teams play football that's great to watch. OK, yeah, he loses his best players every year yet keeps his teams playing good football.
But aside from that, what makes you think he could manage the mighty Fulham?

:plus one: :plus one: :plus one:

epsomraver

Quote from: MJG on May 11, 2013, 07:19:23 PM
I would take him in a heartbeat. I saw more tactics and football played by Wigan today than I have see Jol produce in the last six months.

:plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one:

mangoputney

Quote from: jarv on May 10, 2013, 01:37:08 PM
Why is this being discussed? Is Jol leaving? Is he about to be sacked? Is Martinez leaving.

Apparently, or perhaps clearly, Fulham have a lot of problems. Unstable contracts, no money, debt, no pace in the team, moody Bulgarians, no Englishmen (except Sidwell, oops forgot him), goalkeepers who can't catch a cold and so on.

In the past, the club always has kept cards close to chest so let's not panic. I, probably like many, would like a bit more information to be forthcoming but I guess we just have to wait and see. The one thing we all know, Fulham will not sign Wayne Rooney or any other player of his level (and price).

+1
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

EJL

Quote from: jarv on May 10, 2013, 01:37:08 PM
Why is this being discussed? Is Jol leaving? Is he about to be sacked? Is Martinez leaving.

Apparently, or perhaps clearly, Fulham have a lot of problems. Unstable contracts, no money, debt, no pace in the team, moody Bulgarians, no Englishmen (except Sidwell, oops forgot him), goalkeepers who can't catch a cold and so on.

In the past, the club always has kept cards close to chest so let's not panic. I, probably like many, would like a bit more information to be forthcoming but I guess we just have to wait and see. The one thing we all know, Fulham will not sign Wayne Rooney or any other player of his level (and price).
Yeah, that Manolev is a moody little bugger

JHunter_Fulham4Life

The Cup win will up his stock, but at the end of the day, Wigan didn't win it -- City lost it, because they were on the back foot like they have been for the last month. Martinez has had little or nothing to work with at Wigan, but since he may have little or nothing to work with here, that only means he'll keep us afloat, too.

epsomraver

Quote from: JHunter_Fulham4Life on May 12, 2013, 02:56:38 AM
The Cup win will up his stock, but at the end of the day, Wigan didn't win it -- City lost it, because they were on the back foot like they have been for the last month. Martinez has had little or nothing to work with at Wigan, but since he may have little or nothing to work with here, that only means he'll keep us afloat, too.

Wigan WON it by attacking, good solid tackles and not sitting back and letting city keep coming at them as they did in the first 20 minutes, they changed their tempo and BEAT city