watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Formation next season or how to play with 3 forwards

Started by farfouille, May 26, 2013, 05:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our standard formation next season will be:

4-2-3-1 (Bent - striker, Berba - second forward, Ruiz - winger)
4 (8.3%)
4-2-3-1 (Berba - striker, Ruiz - second forward, Bent - benched)
6 (12.5%)
4-2-3-1 (Bent - striker, Berba - second forward, Ruiz - CM)
15 (31.3%)
Jol will surprise us with a new formation
8 (16.7%)
Berba will be sold - problem solved
6 (12.5%)
Ruiz will be benched
0 (0%)
We won't buy a striker
9 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

hongkongfulham

Quote from: filham on May 26, 2013, 09:27:57 PM
Quote from: Ordar on May 26, 2013, 07:16:48 PM
I actually think someone like Bent is exactly what we need up front. Nearly all of our players want to get over involved in the attacks rather than stretching the play and getting in the box. If I were Jol, I'd consider dropping Ruiz to CM alongside Boateng, and see how that goes. Ruiz and Berbatov together up front DOES NOT WORK!

-------------Stekelenburg------
Reither-Hangeland-Amorebieta-Richardson
-----------Boateng-----Ruiz----------------
Dejagah--------Berbatov-----Kacaniklic
-----------------Bent-------
Playing Ruiz that deep would be defensive suicide.

Im beginning to think that Ruiz will have to play CM alongside a very capable DM more and more.

Count Berbatov

Quote from: Ordar on May 27, 2013, 04:02:29 AM
The problem is that Ruiz doesn't seem to be capable of playing any position except a number 10 role (how he played wide at Twente and scored all those goals I'll never know!) and Berbatov drops too deep when playing as a number 9, which compresses the attacks making us slow and predictable. This is why we look better when Rodellaga comes on and plays on the shoulder of the last defender. It instantly provides the threat in behind, and also gives everyone more space and options to play. Not to mention, also gives someone in the box for the wide players to cross to.

Jol persevered with the Ruiz/Berbatov partnership all season, and baring small flashes, just hasn't worked. If he wants to play both of them, the only thing I can see that could work is to abandon playing wingers totally (as would be pointless as neither stays in the box to cross to, and play a 4-3-3 with them behind a Bent type striker. Given that Dejagah is one of our better players, and also this formation would remove what little pace the side currently has, I can't see this happening, which surely means dropping Ruiz or having the put up with another season of the Ruiz/Berbatov slow predictable attacking (but with lovely flicks)
Very good analysis in a nutshell
One thing - the 4-3-3 you mentioned, is what I call Christmas tree

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

MJG

Quote from: Ordar on May 27, 2013, 04:02:29 AM
The problem is that Ruiz doesn't seem to be capable of playing any position except a number 10 role (how he played wide at Twente and scored all those goals I'll never know!) and Berbatov drops too deep when playing as a number 9, which compresses the attacks making us slow and predictable. This is why we look better when Rodellaga comes on and plays on the shoulder of the last defender. It instantly provides the threat in behind, and also gives everyone more space and options to play. Not to mention, also gives someone in the box for the wide players to cross to.

Jol persevered with the Ruiz/Berbatov partnership all season, and baring small flashes, just hasn't worked. If he wants to play both of them, the only thing I can see that could work is to abandon playing wingers totally (as would be pointless as neither stays in the box to cross to, and play a 4-3-3 with them behind a Bent type striker. Given that Dejagah is one of our better players, and also this formation would remove what little pace the side currently has, I can't see this happening, which surely means dropping Ruiz or having the put up with another season of the Ruiz/Berbatov slow predictable attacking (but with lovely flicks)
100% agree with this. People dont like to read it but Ruiz is the problem. Where do you play him?

MJG

Quote from: hongkongfulham on May 27, 2013, 04:24:18 AM
I actually think someone like Bent is exactly what we need up front. Nearly all of our players want to get over involved in the attacks rather than stretching the play and getting in the box. If I were Jol, I'd consider dropping Ruiz to CM alongside Boateng, and see how that goes. Ruiz and Berbatov together up front DOES NOT WORK!

Im beginning to think that Ruiz will have to play CM alongside a very capable DM more and more.
Right where's the nearest bookies and whats the odds on going down?

FFCByTheRiver

Classic94

Playing Ruiz & Berbatov upfront would be attacking suicide. As has already been said, he plays as a number 10 or not at all.

filham

Quote from: Classic94 on May 27, 2013, 09:46:39 AM

Playing Ruiz & Berbatov upfront would be attacking suicide. As has already been said, he plays as a number 10 or not at all.

That is right, Ruiz's only position is just behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1 formation. The big decision for Jol is whether or not to continue with the Berbatov/Ruiz combination , remember the pair cost him £16m but didn't really come off last season. It would be hard for him to sell or bench Ruiz after only two seasons with us.

farfouille

Quote from: BenjyUK on May 27, 2013, 09:36:10 AM
4-1-2-1-2. It's on.

That means sacrificing players like Dejagah (as Ordar mentioned). The chances of that happening are somewhere between zero and nil. I think Jol would rather sacrifice Ruiz than the attack on the wings. Not an easy decision by all means. I am beginning to think that Jol is looking for a striker only to make sure he has enough attacking force if Berba is to leave...
"Everybody's assuming [Berbatov will go] but as far as I know he is a Man United player....my mistake. Oh my God. He's a Fulham player."
- Rene Meulensteen

EJL

Quote from: farfouille on May 26, 2013, 09:38:46 PM

Yet option 3 in the poll is leading so far. Actually, I think that's the least probable option of ALL... Go figure.
Because Ruiz really impressed when he played in the midfield two, right? We don't want him in our own half. He just gets surrounded and gives the ball away.

Italiancottager

Quote from: kdjr100 on May 26, 2013, 09:15:18 PM

---------------Stecklenburg---------------
Reither---Hangeland---Amorebieta---Riise
---------------Boateng-------------------
-----Duff-------------------Kacaniclic-----
-----------------Ruiz---------------------
----------Berbatov-----------------------
---------------------Bent----------------
This would allow us to play short passing and slow build up football that Jol likes while still having someone in the box to finish.

Or Away

---------------Stecklenburg---------------
Reither---Hangeland---Amorebieta---Riise
----------Huddlestone---Boateng---------
Duff-----------------------------Kacaniclic
----------Berbatov------------------------
---------------------Bent----------------

I like this two.. just Dejagah instead of Duff.  And also about Boateng i'm not really sure.. is not too bad i saw him play but maybe we need someone stronger in that position.
It doesn't matter what country you come from, a few trips to the cottage and it will end up in your heart and blood

grandad

4 - 4 - 2 for me

Stecklenburg

Reither   Amorebieta      Hangeland          A N Other

Dejagah     Boateng     Ruiz   Kacaniclic

Berbatov       Bent
Where there's a will there's a wife

Bryanthebroom

I'm not sure it's the answer but I'm almost 100% sure it's the solution Jol will go for - we'll keep Berba and Ruiz and instead invest in pacey wingers who'll cut inside and play narrower - much like podolski and walcott do at arsenal. Think this type of player and CM is where our money will be spent.

Daffy

If Jol gets the right midfielder, ie a quality passer like Huddlestone or Diarra, it will be 4-2-3-1. But he will play Ruiz on the left of the 3, Dejagah on the right and Berba in the middle, all behind Bent.  Now I would pay good money to watch that!

farfouille

Quote from: Daffy on May 27, 2013, 06:58:28 PM
If Jol gets the right midfielder, ie a quality passer like Huddlestone or Diarra, it will be 4-2-3-1. But he will play Ruiz on the left of the 3, Dejagah on the right and Berba in the middle, all behind Bent.  Now I would pay good money to watch that!

I don't recall seeing Ruiz on the left wing - can he really play there? I should change option 1 to "left/right wing" then.

Edit: OK, Ruiz is a winger in option 1 in the poll.
"Everybody's assuming [Berbatov will go] but as far as I know he is a Man United player....my mistake. Oh my God. He's a Fulham player."
- Rene Meulensteen

JackyFulham90

With Dejagah & Kacaniklic on the wings & a passer like Huddlestone then the Ruiz/Berba combo can work they both need space for it to work

hongkongfulham

Quote from: MJG on May 27, 2013, 08:05:50 AM
Quote from: hongkongfulham on May 27, 2013, 04:24:18 AM

Right where's the nearest bookies and whats the odds on going down?

Not to say I really want to see it, but to try and keep him and Berba in the team this seems to be where Jol's rationale will take him (or out wide) if the partnership isn't working after 5-10 games. I get a sneaky feeling Ruiz is going to have a big season next year if we can get the right CM behind him and Berbs.

JackyFulham90

Ruiz & Berbatov will be our attackers next year we just need a more creative midfield 2 behind them

SmithyFFC

Stekelenburg
Riether  Hangeland  Amorebieta  Briggs
             Boateng  Frimpong
Dejagah           Ruiz           Kacaniklic
                  Berbatov

Simple.
FTID

farfouille

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on May 28, 2013, 01:19:00 AM
                Stekelenburg
Riether  Hangeland  Amorebieta  Briggs
             Boateng  Frimpong
Dejagah           Ruiz           Kacaniklic
                  Berbatov

Simple.

Frimpong is going back to Arsenal, isn't he?
- Rene Meulensteen

tommy

I think Ruiz will be back on the left Wong next season with Berbatov and a new number 9 up front.