watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (27/05/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 27, 2013, 05:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

TRANSFER TALK: Fulham interested in signing ex-Sunderland hero Darren Bent from Aston Villa for £6m?

FORMER Sunderland hero Darren Bent is being touted for sale for a cut-price £6million – but even that has failed to attract a queue of buyers, with Fulham the only club so far to express an interest.

Aston Villa are prepared to take a massive financial hit on the striker they signed from Sunderland for £24million just two years ago.

It is an open secret that he simply does not feature in Villa boss Paul Lambert's plans.

But such has been the decline in the 29-year-old's reputation that the news has barely caused a ripple of interest among other Premier League clubs.

And the fact that the former England striker is currently trousering £70,000 a week at Villa Park is hardly going to help Bent or Villa's mission to get him a new club.

The Sunday People is reporting that only Martin Jol's Fulham have made enquiries and they are reluctant to pay the £6m asking price, especially when the player's wages are taken into consideration.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/other-football/transfer-talk-fulham-interested-in-signing-ex-sunderland-hero-darren-bent-from-aston-villa-for-6m-1-5712429

WhiteJC

Berbatov Happy at Fulham, May Snub Monaco

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov has told Bulgarian reporters that would be happy to stay at the club.

However, the 32-year-old did not directly rule out leaving Craven Cottage this summer.
Berbatov admitted on Sunday that he has heard about French side Monaco's alleged intention to sign him.

"Monaco is a nice place, I haven't been there yet, but we'll see. I love England, people respect me there. It's one of the best leagues in Europe," Berbatov said, as cited by BGNES.

"We'll see what will happen, but I am happy in Fulham under Martin Jol," he said.

Berbatov scored two goals in a charity game aiming to raise money for the treatment of children diagnosed with leukemia. The game was dedicated to former Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov.

"I have already told Stiliyan that he is a real fighter. He has proven it, and continues to prove it. He knows that we support him," the Bulgarian forward said, referring to his compatriot.

Petrov announced earlier in May that he is quitting professional football as he continues his fight against leukemia.

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=150705

WhiteJC

Fulham 2012-13 report card

A 12th successive season among England's elite for modest Fulham and a finishing position of 12th in the table should have been enough to send the Whites' supporters off on holiday with a smile on their face.

Maintaining status during a transitional period when transfer funds were strictly limited would suggest the board met their objectives -- and although Fulham never quite got sucked into relegation peril, when you consider how clubs with major followings and powerful owners such as Sunderland, Newcastle United and Aston Villa performed, well, what have we got to complain about?

The trouble is, in return for the call on their time and money, football fans do like to have a moan. The season past was well short on highlights, and consequently there was much to frustrate from what we saw on the pitch.

One doubts it was quite what Martin Jol had in mind either at the end of his second campaign at the helm. Fulham have gone backwards under the Dutchman, leaving his future there still under a cloud as I type. Three places worse off than a year ago, nine points less, and a worrying total of 60 goals conceded.

In comparison with Jol's first season, cake on the table was in short supply and the champagne moments few and far between. Not until spring could the normally garrulous gaffer bring himself to put into words what we had all known for six months -- Fulham badly missed Clint Dempsey.

While Fulham's away record bore comparison with the likes of WBA and Everton, for the first season since the 'Great Escape' of 2008, Craven Cottage proved less of a fortress for visiting sides. Fulham were clearly deficient in all areas after the transfer window robbed them of a midfield dynamo (Mousa Dembele) and talismanic top scorer (Dempsey). Fulham lacked leadership, a consistent cutting edge up front, stability in midfield, tactical nous, the 'leadership' of a Danny Murphy and, in essence, energy.

Little surprise the Whites went short of pace and power. Through a combination of ill fortune and lack of foresight, by autumn Fulham were fielding a team long on age in need of a major overhaul. At least the early signs for next season suggest the club are now moving to address the situation.

Plus points: Luring Dimitar Berbatov to Fulham proved a master stroke. On his day Dimi still looked the real deal. Some feat when not surrounded by a side of megastars wearing red. His 15 goals eased the pain of losing the Deuce somewhat and ultimately saved Fulham from relegation.

Minus Points: Dimitar Berbatov again. How come? Being clearly Jol's 'untouchable' in the side, the Bulgarian's team ethic was non-existent, his petulance on the park and intolerance of others' shortcomings unprofessional and insulting. Too often wants to play the game on his terms.

Enigma of the season: Bryan Ruiz. Fulham's most expensive signing looked often a bit-part player. Lackadaisical, limp and infuriating. I remain to be convinced Fulham can accommodate the Costa Rican and Berbatov in the same eleven. Nobody at the Cottage divides opinion like our Bryan. The frustration factor is accumulative because we can all see the talent within him. As he reveals it all too infrequently, along with an inability to embrace the pace and physicality of the Premiership, for my money that makes him an expensive luxury Fulham cannot afford.

Revelation of the season: Sascha Riether. Fulham Player of the Year, and now under contract. Great news. His consistency and energy shone out like a beacon.

Great Whites hope: Ashkan Dejagah. Was really coming into his own when picking up an ankle injury in April that ended his campaign.

Best performance: It came on day one -- a 5-0 hammering of Norwich City that had Fulham dreaming of the top six, for a week at least.

Worst performance: Too many to call. Fulham went on two barren runs with games where they failed to muster a single shot on goal. However, for so many reasons, the surrender at QPR to hand the worst team in the league their first win in December was a true shocker.

Honorary mention: Mark Schwarzer. What a tremendous return Fulham have had from this consummate professional, signed to the club on a free transfer in 2008. At time of writing it appears the club are manoeuvring the big Aussie towards the exit door -- an unsatisfactory end to his time by the Thames?

Personal highlight: It wasn't pretty, but sneaking a 1-0 win at Tottenham in March. A result that denied Spurs the Champions League after stealing away Fulham's two best players. Magnificent!

The Positives: Academy starlets retaining their status as champions for a second season. A terrific job being done here behind the scenes. Another trophy to sit alongside the Dr. Pepper Cup from Texas.

Phil's Award: That goes to your good selves. I feared a drop-off in interest in the post-Clint era. While missing some of our old regulars, we've built up the traffic with a new crew. Posters show not just their strong loyalty to Fulham FC, but also a deep appreciation of Fulham's unique identity and place in history. Thanks to you all. It wouldn't be any fun without you.

twitter@fulhamphil

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1077?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Berbatov: I'm happy at Fulham
by DAN on MAY 26, 2013

Dimitar Berbatov has told the Bulgarian press that he's happy at Fulham after media reports linked him with a summer move to Monaco.

The 32 year-old striker insisted he was happy at Craven Cottage under Martin Jol, who brought him to Fulham last August, after scoring 15 goals since his switch from Manchester United.

I love England, people respect me there. It's one of the best leagues in Europe. We'll see what will happen, but I am happy in Fulham under Martin Jol. Monaco is a nice place, I haven't been there yet, but we'll see.

Berbatov scored twice this weekend in a charity game staged in honour of his former international team-mate Stiliyan Petrov, who announced his retirement from football earlier this month as he continues to fight against leukemia.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/05/berbatov-im-happy-at-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Jol mulls move for Buckley
by DAN on MAY 26, 2013

Martin Jol is considering making a summer move for Brighton winger Will Buckley as he pushes ahead with plans to revamp Fulham's squad ahead of the new campaign, according to the Mail on Sunday.

The 23 year-old enjoyed an outstanding season as the Seagulls narrowly missed out on a place in the Championship play-off final, impressing on either flank under Gus Poyet. Buckley, who joined Brighton for what was then a club record £1m from Rochdale in 2011, has scored sixteen goals in 65 league appearances for Albion and offers both pace and penetration out wide, a combination that Jol pinpointed in his very first press conference after replacing Mark Hughes as being what he wanted from his wingers.

The Whites, however, are well-stocked for wingers. Swedish international Alex Kacaniklic finished the season strongly after his loan spell at Burnley, Damien Duff has signed a one-year extension to his contract and Ashkan Dejagah was developing into a potent threat down the right flank before an untimely injury against QPR brought his season to a premature end. Turkish youngster Kerim Frei will also be pushing for a place in the first-team next season having seen this year's campaign severely interrupted by injury problems.

Should Jol be tempted to make a formal offer for Buckley, it is far from certain that Albion would entertain his departure. The winger signed a new four-year contract in January and whoever replaces Poyet at the AMEX might will consider him a key part of the squad that could push for promotion to the Premier League come August.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/05/jol-mulls-move-for-buckley/?

WhiteJC

Early Bird Deadline tomorrow

Time is running out for supporters to take advantage of our Early Bird Season Ticket prices which currently start from £399 for adults and £95 for juniors.

Early Bird prices are available until 5pm tomorrow, Tuesday 28th May so be sure to buy yours before prices rise.

Your 2013/14 Season Ticket will include all 19 Barclays Premier League home games as well as a host of benefits such as a 10 per cent discount on Fulham products, discounts on additional tickets for selected matches, and priority access to away and cup games. Read the full list of benefits here.

Season Tickets for Under-16s are £95, whilst Under-8s are just £49. All Junior Season Ticket Holders in the Family Zone will also receive a FREE home shirt leading into the new season and a lucky few (in the Gallery below) are chosen to train on the pitch under guidance from the Academy Coaches.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/27/1-day-to-go?

WhiteJC

Fulham Chase Roma Goalkeeper

Maarten Stekelenburg is likely to leave Roma during the summer transfer market with an option to Fulham as the likeliest destination.

After coming off a tough season, the 30-year-old Dutch international could be heading to the Premier League for the 2013/14 season.

According to Itasportpress.it, Fulham seem certain to buy Stekelenburg's rights after barely missing out on his acquisition during the last transfer market.

PSV Eindhoven is also tracking the goalkeeper who arrived in Rome at the start of the 2011/12 season and has made 44 appearances thus far.

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2013/05/fulham-chase-roma-goalkeeper/?

WhiteJC

Berbatov boost for Jol

Fulham's hopes of preventing Dimitar Berbatov from leaving for Monaco have been boosted by his admission he is happy at Craven Cottage. The 32-year-old Bulgarian hitman has enjoyed a successful debut season with the Cottagers following last summer's move from Manchester United. However, having notched 15 goals for the Londoners, big-spending French Ligue 1 new boys Monaco amongst other clubs have earmarked Berbatov as a summer transfer target. Cottagers boss Martin Jol has always maintained that he wants to keep Berbatov at Craven Cottage and now the player has admitted that he has no desire to depart. Speaking to the Bulgarian media after scoring two goals in a charity matched staged in honour of his former international team-mate Stiliyan Petrov, who announced his retirement from football earlier this month as he continues to fight against leukemia, Berbatov said: "I love England, people respect me there. It's one of the best leagues in Europe. We'll see what will happen, but I am happy in Fulham under Martin Jol. "Monaco is a nice place, I haven't been there yet, but we'll see."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/berbatov-boost-for-jol-1594529.html?