News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What is the hardest position to play in football?

Started by General, September 04, 2013, 12:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Goalkeeper, unlike any other role in a football team.

As for a preference for myself, love playing CB as you are always involved and the game is in front of you.

I was never good enough to play as a striker but have enjoyed it when played in that position. I found it the easiest place in the team. Just run about a lot and look busy seems to be all you need to do.

FFC1987

Quote from: MJG on September 04, 2013, 03:28:52 PM

As for a preference for myself, love playing CB as you are always involved and the game is in front of you.

I was never good enough to play as a striker but have enjoyed it when played in that position. I found it the easiest place in the team. Just run about a lot and look busy seems to be all you need to do.

That's a better description for a CM surely? Strikers are judged only on goals. Running about aimlessly like Savage (Sidwell....sorry couldn't help myself) etc. could never play striker.

MJG

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 04, 2013, 03:47:25 PM

That's a better description for a CM surely? Strikers are judged only on goals. Running about aimlessly like Savage (Sidwell....sorry couldn't help myself) etc. could never play striker.
Well not at the level I played. Course you need goals, but as long as you were moving around, making yourself available and watching your defenders make mistakes...easy.

Burt

Manager.

You need a thick skin to put up with those who run the club, those who think they should run the club, the basket-case of players who have varying degrees of self-delusion and egotism, the supporters who will inavariably turn against you at some point, and the press.

Vinnieffc

It very much depends on your personal attributes. I spent most of my playing time as a sweeper but could also play defensive midfield or full back. I was also useful as a stand in striker. What I couldn't do was play attacking/creative midfield. I was pretty fast with a reasonable level of skill but was more of a destructive player without a shred of creativity in my tiny brain  :005: I was in effect the Hounslow version of Chris Baird.

PS. No disrespect to Mr Baird intended !!  Just trying to highlight what some have said on here - you can be good at some positions and not so good at others..

Rhys Lightning 63

As one myself, I say goalkeeper.

Too much blame and not enough credit
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

FFC1987

Quote from: MJG on September 04, 2013, 03:56:00 PM

Well not at the level I played. Course you need goals, but as long as you were moving around, making yourself available and watching your defenders make mistakes...easy.

Was finishing your forte if it was that easy then? You seem to be ommitting that part which arguably, is the most difficult part of the role.

An interesting convo happened with my old team mates about this. I found the 'better' players tend to play in the middle in the amateur leagues because having your best player up top is fruitless if he doesn't get the service. I had to play DM/CM for my uni tam for this reason.

MJG

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 04, 2013, 04:22:28 PM
Quote from: MJG on September 04, 2013, 03:56:00 PM

Was finishing your forte if it was that easy then? You seem to be ommitting that part which arguably, is the most difficult part of the role.

An interesting convo happened with my old team mates about this. I found the 'better' players tend to play in the middle in the amateur leagues because having your best player up top is fruitless if he doesn't get the service. I had to play DM/CM for my uni tam for this reason.
not all all, couldn't finish at all.
With regards where best players should play, when I was manager of various sides and found the good players they fell into two types.
The players who could beat a man and the passers.
I always put the passers in that cm role like you say and the others up front.
If they can beat a man then why beat 2 or 3 from midfield when you only have the last line to beat.

HatterDon

striker ... especially goal-MAKING strikers.

The single hardest thing to do in football is to put the ball into the net under pressure. The single most important thing to achieve in football is scoring more goals than your opponents.

After watching AJ and Zamora routinely trashed on this site and others because they weren't 15+ goal strikers has convinced me of this more than ever.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Logicalman

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 04, 2013, 09:30:08 AM
Supporter.

Sitting in the freezing cold and rain for 90 minutes watching your team get taken to pieces by another team 2 divisions below yours. I deserve £300K a week for that

That's the real answer  :drums:

.. after that, my old position - keeper

sunburywhite

Anywhere at Craven Cottage if you have been singed from Chelscum, the Ha Ha's or Stoke
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Mhbruce