more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (08/06/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 08, 2013, 04:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham announce release list

Fulham have confirmed Mark Schwarzer, Mahamadou Diarra, Chris Baird and nine others have all been let go by the club.

Australian shotstopper Schwarzer revealed earlier this week he expected to end his five-year spell at Craven Cottage after the Cottagers announced the signing of Maarten Stekelenburg. The 40-year-old will now have to look for a new club along with Mali international Diarra after he managed just 19 appearances in 18 months with Fulham. Baird is joined by another Fulham stalwart, Simon Davies, in being given his marching orders, while striker Mladen Petric and experienced midfielder Giorgios Karagounis are also gone after their short-term deals came to an end. Goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi also departs, while youngsters Alex Smith, James Musa, Richard Peniket and Corey Gameiro complete the list.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/fulham-announce-release-list-1597579.html?

WhiteJC

"Hughes has got to get it right at Stoke"

Baseball-capped long-ball lover Tony Pulis wasn't every fan's cup of tea, but in five years at the Britannia Stadium he always kept Stoke well clear of the relegation dogfight. That's the challenge now facing Mark Hughes, his surprise replacement in the Potteries. Once seen as one of Britain's brightest coaches, a walkout at Fulham and a disappointing spell in charge of QPR have left his managerial reputation in need of some repair. After Hughes began his tenure by releasing seven players this week, Martin Lipton of the Mirror gives his thoughts on the challenge facing the Welshman.

"I've always been a big Hughes fan, even when it didn't work out at certain places, so I'm not going to change my position now," he says. "I was surprised he got the chance [at Stoke] because I didn't think that he would. But it appears he was identified very early on as the man they wanted.

"He knows the QPR debacle is a huge stain on his career, and he also made a misjudgement when he walked out of Fulham when he should have stayed for one more year. This time he's got to get this right.

"His problem is that he's always been a slow starter wherever he's been: it takes him 10 to 12 games to get any sort of results usually. But given the background of what happened at QPR he can't afford that this time, because fingers will start to get pointed. He needs to get nice fixtures, and get off to a good start.

"I like him. I think he's got a lot to offer. He's a decent bloke and a good coach, but Hughes has got to get it right at Stoke."

http://www.lifesapitch.co.uk/laptv/pundit/hughes-has-got-to-get-it-right-at-stoke/?

WhiteJC

Bend it like Martin Jol
by DUTCHFFC on JUNE 7, 2013

Yesterday Fulham FC announced the signing of the transfer window so far. Neymar is a quality player but wouldn't suit our beautiful club. In terms of getting the right player at our club at the right time I think the board and specially Martin Jol did a great job.

Maarten Stekelenburg will feel something like a homecoming when arriving at Fulham. After the deadline deal could not be finished in the January window I thought it would be impossible to sign him. Specially when he got his place in the starting eleven back at AS Roma. He stated that joining Jol again was one of the bigger reasons to still join the club as they've been working very well together at Ajax. The nice atmosphere around the stadium and the culture which is more close to the Dutch culture will get the best out of his upcoming years at the pitch. Also following the footsteps of one of the best Dutch players ever (Van der Sar) should be the right choice for both club and player.

Stekelenburg is born in Haarlem and started playing football at local clubs Zandvoort '75 en VV Schoten in nearby towns. His first experience with goalkeeping was an accidental one. The goalie of his team was not present and he gave it a try to keep a clean sheet for his team. He fancied being a goalkeeper that far that he decided to stay in the goal. At the age of 13 he joined Ajax' famous youth academy of which many players succeeded to professional football.

He made his debut back in 2002 at the age of 20. After some very good seasons at Ajax he also got in the footsteps of former Fulham hero Edwin van der Sar at the National team. Up until now he made 54 appearances in the Dutch squad. At Ajax he played for two years under Martin Jol who gave him his place in the first team back after losing it to Kenneth Vermeer while he was injured. The confidence Jol gave him leaded to finishing the best season in his career during the 2009/2010 campaign. In 2011 he was crowned as player of the year at Ajax before leaving to AS Roma in the summer.

Next to Sneijder and Arjen Robben he was the best player for the Dutch national team during the 2012 World Cup in South Africa. He denied later crowned champions Spain also with some great saves. The World Cup was one of the peaks of his career so let's hope his next one will be at Craven Cottage. Having a World Cup finalist as our number one will get players and fans moving.

His spell at AS Roma started good with some nice goalkeeping displays in the first season. Last season new coach Zdenek Zeman dropped him to the bench mostly because he was not able to speak Italian. After the the firing of Zeman he got his place back in the first team.

At the age of 30 he is very experienced and focused on getting back in the Dutch National team for the upcoming World Cup in Brazil. His footballing skills are very good so that he can definitely give some great backup to our defensive players. Building up Dutch style by passing will bring us more possession and attractive plays on the pitch. Keeping his line clear is also one of his skills. In case of comparing him to some other goalkeepers who are currently playing I think he is better than the likes of Petr Cech and Iker Casillas.

Let's get the next season started as soon as possible. The club signed some quality players so early in the transfer window so our confidence should rise more than ever. With Berbatov up front and a great couple of midfielders and a very solid back four Stekelenburg will pick some points for the team. In my opinion we could really make an attempt to finish in the top half of the table what can be extended to finish just behind clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool. Future looks very bright at Fulham FC!

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/06/bend-it-like-martin-jol/?

WhiteJC

Brede's Hopes Alive

A host of Fulham players were in action for their countries in the FIFA World Cup qualifiers and the UEFA Under 19 European Championships on Friday night.

Brede Hangeland helped Norway keep their World Cup qualification hopes on track as they draw 1-1 with Albania at the Qemal Stafa Stadium.

Valdet Rama got the opening goal of the game in the 41st minute as he smashed the ball into the bottom of the net and, despite plenty of corners for Norway, it looked like there would be no way back for Hangeland and company.

However, in the 87th minute, defender Tom Hogli got on the end of an Espen Ruud corner and headed home an equaliser.

Norway remain in fourth place in Group E, three points behind leaders Switzerland who play Cyprus on Saturday, but are keeping up the pressure at the top. With three of their last four games at home, it is still in their hands.

Despite dominating the opening exchanges, Alexander Kačaniklić and Sweden fell 2-1 to Austria to see their hopes in Group C damaged.

Kačaniklić had an early shout for a penalty waved away, but then Austria got one of their own after a foul from goalkeeper Andreas Isaksson. Bayern Munich's David Alaba coolly slotted home and the lead was doubled shortly after as Mark Janko netted.

Our winger had a good chance to get Sweden back into it in the second half, but his volley slid just wide of the post and even though Johan Elmander got on the end of a through-ball to flick home a consolation goal in the 82nd minute, it was not enough.

The result sees the Swedes drop into fourth place after a win for the Republic of Ireland, and they stay eight points off leaders Germany; three behind the Play-Off spot with a game in hand.

Giorgos Karagounis helped Greece to keep up the pressure on Bosnia-Herzegovina at the top of Group G as they beat Lithuania 1-0.

Despite going in the book in the first half, the veteran midfielder played the full 90 minutes and helped to ensure that Greece are now three points off the top and well placed to claim at least a place in the Play-Offs after Lazaros Christodoulopoulos' goal made the difference.

In the UEFA Under 19 European Championships, Muamer Tankovic was an unused substitute as Sweden fell 3-0 to Austria.

Rapid Wien striker Marcel Sabitzer netted a hat-trick to ensure that Austria qualify with France from Group One after both won their first two games, and Sweden and Bosnia & Herzegovina drop out.

See the team in action at all 19 Barclays Premier League home games next season with a Fulham FC Season Ticket, find out more at fulhamfc.com/seasontickets

Also, you will soon be able to buy the new adidas Training Kit worn here by Brede from the official Shop. Keep an eye on fulhamfc.com for details.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/june/07/international?

WhiteJC

Arsenal Should Sign Malouda, Schwarzer, Santa Cruz & Gera!

As the Premier League published their official list of released players by the clubs, there were a few interesting names that popped up on the list.

And this would be the perfect time Arsene Wenger to flex his "new found spending power" and bring in a few free agents.

Florent Malouda from Chelsea is only 32 and is French which is perfect for Arsene. Mark Schwarzer, a long term target for Arsenal is another player released from his club. Could he come in and help coach the goalkeepers at Arsenal?

Other names that pop up are Roque Santa Cruz and Zoltan Gera, who are 31 and 34 respectively.

These players may be old but that hasn't stopped Arsene before - we've brought back Jens Lehmann, Sol Campbell and Thierry Henry before and to decent effect.

In a time when we're looking to trim the fat, we could do worse than bring in decent squad players with a lot of experience, on top of bringing in proven quality that we all hope Arsene will bring in with his war chest.

http://www.afc4life.co.uk/2013/06/07/arsenal-should-sign-malouda-schwarzer-santa-cruz-gera/?

WhiteJC

Duff the charity ambassador still dodging the limelight
Former international happy to keep head down and concentrate on club career

Heart Children Ireland ambassador Damien Duff and his son Woody. Photograph: James Crombie/Inpho

Damien Duff turned down the opportunity to be presented with an Ashley Cole style "golden cap" on the pitch at Wembley last week, he has revealed, with the Fulham star observing good naturedly that he is happy with the one he got from John Delaney in a Heathrow bar six months ago.

"Roy Hodgson rang me two weeks ago," he revealed while in Dublin yesterday for the presentation of 35 Coagu-Chek machines by the charity Heart Children Ireland to the Mater Hospital's Maurice Neligan Congenital Heart Clinic, "and he offered me to get my 100th cap presented to me on the pitch at Wembley against Ireland last week but I was like 'gaffer' - I still call him gaffer – 'no chance, you must know me by now. It's not going to happen.' As much as it would be something to look back on, it wasn't for me."

Different way
Anyway, he added, "I got it in a different way. I bumped into John Delaney in a pub in Heathrow Airport and he said: 'loving hell Duffer, funny I should bump into you'. He had the cap on him, he was supposed to meet me in London but he never tracked me down. So I had a pint of shandy looking at my 100th cap . . . some way to bow out."

Duff's involvement with Heart Children Ireland stems from his eldest child Woody having been born with a partial AVSD, essentially a hole in his heart, a problem that was addressed by surgery from which the now two-year-old has made a complete recovery.

The timing of the Dublin trip, he admitted, had nothing really to do with last night's game against the Faroes although Duff, who played 100 times for his country, was hoping to get both of his kids down in time to watch it on TV, possibly, he joked, with the help of some Calpol.

Duff, who, still says he will move home and finish his career in the League of Ireland over the next few years, suggested it was "hard to say" whether he misses the international scene although he admits he has only been to one game since; the one against Oman at Craven Cottage last year.

Struggle
And he doesn't see too many of them on TV either. "I struggle when I am back in England as I don't have Sky, there's a recession on."

That much will, of course, be less of an issue in relation to Ireland matches when he moves back to Dublin although he is no hurry. "I have a year left at Fulham, and I love it there, I would love to stay on playing there for a few years; it has been a special place to me.

"After that in England? I don't know (but) obviously I am going to move back here. My wife (Elaine) is Irish and my two kids are Irish and they are going to go to school here. And, as I have said before, if there is anybody who will take me . . . "

Somebody mentions Shamrock Rovers, who would be in what would have been his general neck of the woods, and he laughs. "I dunno, I played against them before and they gave me a bit of stick. We have a few issues, me and the fans!
"Anyway, that's the plan and I definitely want to come back and do it. We'll see what happens."

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/duff-the-charity-ambassador-still-dodging-the-limelight-1.1421206?

WhiteJC

Duff got 100th cap in Heathrow pub

Damien Duff turned down an offer from England manager Roy Hodgson to receive his 100th Ireland cap in a special presentation before Ireland's recent game at Wembley.

And the retired international has revealed how, instead, he took possession of the cap in the rather less glamorous surroundings of a pub in Heathrow Airport.

Duff, who hit the ton mark when he captained the side in what turned out to be his last game for Ireland – the match against Italy at Euro 2012 – explained: "Roy Hodgson [Duff's former boss at Fulham and Blackburn] rang me two weeks ago, I think he must have met [FAI chief executive] John Delaney somewhere and he offered to get my 100th cap presented to me on the pitch at Wembley against England last week. But I was like 'gaffer' – I still call him gaffer – 'no chance, you must know me by now, it's not going to happen'. As much as it would be something to look back on, it wasn't for me.

"I actually got the cap in a different way rather than in front of 80,000 at Wembley. About six months I was with my dad and we bumped into John Delaney in a pub in Heathrow Airport and he said 'loving hell Duffer, funny I should bump into you'. He had the cap on him — he was supposed to meet me in London but he never tracked me down. So I had a pint of shandy looking at my 100th cap, some way to bow out. I think it was in a Wetherspoons — yeah, I'm a classy type of guy. But I prefer it that way."

Duff never considered coming out of international retirement, despite much speculation to the contrary. 100, as he puts it, was "a nice round number". In his usual laidback way, the player wasn't inclined to make too much of the milestone at the time but admits he was "bullin' a bit" when his achievement was briefly threatened by suggestions that Ireland's pre-Euros warm-up game against Hungary would not count in the official records because of the ineligibility of one of the match officials. Happily, the matter was resolved in the player's favour but, had it not been, Duff was asked would he have been tempted to come out of retirement just once more to confirm his 100th cap.

"No," he replied, "but I would have been knocking down whoever's door — Platini, Blatter – and if they didn't answer the door they'd have been getting a right hook."

The Duffer's visit to Dublin yesterday might have coincided with an Ireland World Cup game but the reason for his trip home – accompanied by his two-year-old son Woody — was much more important, the player being unveiled as the new charity ambassador for Heart Children Ireland on the occasion of the presentation of €20,000 worth of potentially life-saving medical equipment to the Maurice Neligan Congenital Heart Clinic in the Mater Hospital.

Explaining the very personal nature of his involvement, Damien said: "It's because of Woody. He was born with a hole in the heart. As soon as he was strong enough and hit six months, he had the operation done and everything was repaired. We spotted it before he was even born. I think it was a 32-week scan that showed he had a hole in his heart. It's the end of the world at the time but he's kicked on and it's no problem now. He's made a full recovery."

Needless to say, an experience like that puts anything that can happen on a football pitch into perspective.

"It does yeah. The Euros last year was a horrendous time for Irish football and from a players' point of view, but I suppose when you go home to your kid, especially when they have an issue as well, it puts things in perspective. Football is only a game though it doesn't feel like it at the time."

As for his own footballing future, Duff has another year in his contract with Fulham and would like it to be extended. At some point beyond that he can see himself getting involved in coaching kids. He also wants to bring his family – wife Elaine, Woody and new baby Darcy – home to Ireland, where he wouldn't rule out playing League of Ireland football. Or maybe even at a lower level.

"Yeah listen," he concluded with a smile, "I'll be playing for the Dog and Duck until I'm 60."

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/duff-got-100th-cap-in-heathrow-pub-233643.html?

WhiteJC

Chelsea consider intelligent move for Fulham star on free transfer

Chelsea eye surprise deal for Fulham goalkeeper this summer as Petr Cech backup.

Chelsea are believed to be lining up a surprise move for Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, whose contract expires on June 30th 2013.

The Australia international, whose 105 appearances for his country make him the most capped player in Socceroos history, has dropped down the pecking order at Craven Cottage, and looks set to depart the West London club.

Martin Jol has already bought his replacement, with AS Roma star Maarten Stekelenburg slotting in between the posts after agreeing a four year deal, and Schwarzer's future is now very much up in the air while he waits for offers.

Schwarzer was philosophical when asked by Sky Sports about Stekelenburg's arrival.

"It's no great surprise and I'll be looking for another club," said the 40 year-old, who also dismissed the idea of returning to his home country in the A-League.

"Not at this stage, no," continued Schwarzer.

"My family's settled and the kids are in school and I wouldn't (move) my family anyway."

A move across West London would be highly convenient for Schwarzer then, and it just so happens that Chelsea are in somewhat of a goalkeeper quandary.

The Blues have just announced the release of both Hilario and Ross Turnbull, and with Thibaut Courtois likely to head back to Atletico de Madrid on loan next season, a reliable backup custodian is required at Stamford Bridge as Petr Cech is the only remaining senior goalkeeper.

Schwarzer still has hopes of appearing in the UEFA Champions League at this late stage of his football career, and though he would be clear reserve option for Chelsea, the opportunity may be too good to turn down.

"There are always regrets you don't get the chance to play in the Champions League," said Schwarzer to the London Evening Standard last month.

"But you never say never. I've always learnt that in football.

"You never say that it's never going to happen because you just don't ever know."

Few would have predicted Mark Schwarzer to be Jose Mourinho's first signing for Chelsea, but it would be a low risk deal with potentially great reward for all parties.

http://www.fanatix.com/news/chelsea-consider-intelligent-move-for-fulham-star-on-free-transfer/122423/

Burt

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 08, 2013, 04:45:49 AM

Chelsea eye surprise deal for Fulham goalkeeper this summer as Petr Cech backup.

Chelsea are believed to be lining up a surprise move for Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, whose contract expires on June 30th 2013.

The Australia international, whose 105 appearances for his country make him the most capped player in Socceroos history, has dropped down the pecking order at Craven Cottage, and looks set to depart the West London club.

Martin Jol has already bought his replacement, with AS Roma star Maarten Stekelenburg slotting in between the posts after agreeing a four year deal, and Schwarzer's future is now very much up in the air while he waits for offers.

Schwarzer was philosophical when asked by Sky Sports about Stekelenburg's arrival.

"It's no great surprise and I'll be looking for another club," said the 40 year-old, who also dismissed the idea of returning to his home country in the A-League.

"My family's settled and the kids are in school and I wouldn't (move) my family anyway."

A move across West London would be highly convenient for Schwarzer then, and it just so happens that Chelsea are in somewhat of a goalkeeper quandary.

The Blues have just announced the release of both Hilario and Ross Turnbull, and with Thibaut Courtois likely to head back to Atletico de Madrid on loan next season, a reliable backup custodian is required at Stamford Bridge as Petr Cech is the only remaining senior goalkeeper.

Schwarzer still has hopes of appearing in the UEFA Champions League at this late stage of his football career, and though he would be clear reserve option for Chelsea, the opportunity may be too good to turn down.

"There are always regrets you don't get the chance to play in the Champions League," said Schwarzer to the London Evening Standard last month.

"You never say that it's never going to happen because you just don't ever know."

Few would have predicted Mark Schwarzer to be Jose Mourinho's first signing for Chelsea, but it would be a low risk deal with potentially great reward for all parties.

http://www.fanatix.com/news/chelsea-consider-intelligent-move-for-fulham-star-on-free-transfer/122423/

He may as well stay with us as Stek backup!!

cmg

Quote from: Burt on June 08, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

"Show me the money!"

gerrys

Quote from: Burt on June 08, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Sure but he wants guaranteed 1st team football...................on the other hand guaranteed 1st team football, just for the Champions League, could be tempting.....................it's something that we cannot offer.........

Berserker

guaranteed 1st team football was a bit of a fib on his part then, maybe his agent had already been talking to Chelsea when Mark decided not to sign a extension to his contract
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Arthur

Quote from: Berserker on June 08, 2013, 02:13:47 PM
guaranteed 1st team football was a bit of a fib on his part then, maybe his agent had already been talking to Chelsea when Mark decided not to sign a extension to his contract

Accusing Schwarzer of not being honest with the club and supporters seems harsh to me.

Firstly, the article speculates that Mourinho may want him; there's no indication that he is keen to take up such an offer.

Secondly, even if he does end up a couple of miles along the road, had we not had the chance to sign Stekelenburg this summer, Schwarzer would be our first-choice goalkeeper and, in those circumstances, he would have extended his contract - irrespective of any overtures from Ch***ea.

ffc73

I would think Schwarzer has a better chance of making a claim for the no1 jersey & Champions League football at Arsenal. I would not be totally shocked if he ended up at the Emirates

being a certain no2 to Cech would not make sense to me if his stated desire to continue playing as a no1 before retiring at brazil 14 is correct

Of course, ignoring Champions League football, Hull are looking for a goalie & Schwarzer going there would be somewhat ironic to everyone bar Stockdale