watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do we write players off too quickly?

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, June 09, 2013, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

On Twitter recently, I have been seeing people write off players like Kerim Frei as not good enough, and I'm personally bewildered by it. They say he's dropped off since the previous year but to me, that's an embarrassing analysis.

Frei has been injured with a recurring groin injury and to risk him when we don't need to would be suicidal especially at his age. Think about Jack Wilshere, with younger players, you can not risk them playing with a light injury as it can put them out for a seriously long time.

Now I've watched Kerim Frei in both of Turkey's post season International friendly, and to me, he put in the most professional of performances I've seen from him. He was all over the pitch, moving well for possession and keeping his head up when passing. He seemed to cover so much ground floating from left to right for the half hour cameo's he had in each game, and it further backed my faith that he has a bright future in the game.

I don't understand why some people wouldn't want to support their players after something like Kerim Frei has been through at just 18/19. He will be back stronger next season and a loan spell would do him the world of good.

Burt

Not just on twitter, but even on football forums and in stadiums...

There's a couple of guys who sit behind me in the JH stand who crucify Kaca before he even gets the ball. I've had words with them on more than one occasion. There needs to be more tolerance for those who are young, breaking through, and developing. You don't become a first-team shoe-in, let alone world class, overnight.

zschwartz

all for his continued presence in the squad.

but with the persistent injury and limited minutes i have to admit my expectations are a bit lower than at the start of last season.

the panacea/savior hopes have now been pinned on kacaniklic and an as of yet unnamed pair of central midfielders, hallowed be their names.  however, i hope frei's given another good run and i do look forward to fostering a renewed set of unrealistic expectations in the approaching preseason.

JackyFulham90

Yes football fans write players off far too quickly,  some don't appreciate the quality we have compared to some previous squads

SKSW6

I'm so glad someone has written this up. It annoys me no end that because Frei has not been as good as Messi in his 20 odd games he's played at the age of 19, he will apparently never make it. I think due to the dearth of youth we've promoted from within over the years that people have no idea of the amount of time and patience you have to have with them.

fulhamben

for me frei is the most exciting player we have by a country mile
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Lighthouse

Yes we do write off players too quickly. But Kerim Frei earns enough in one week for me to live off for a year. Well it all depends on how many DVDs I buy and then there is the car, bit I digress. The point being we write off many things that don't give us instant gratification. So football players will always be looked at for their last performance.

Frei is still a great prospect and deserves much more time. But we have seen so many good young players who should have made the grade only to fail  for whatever reason. It is not unusual for fans to be critical when young players are inconsistant. It is in the nature of the player as well as the fan.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

epsomraver

Quote from: fulhamben on June 09, 2013, 12:34:55 PM

Sorry, do not agree, at present, a one trick pony, too light weight also at present, watched him   a lot and he does not stand out either when playing for U 18's or U 21's  unlike Dembele and Authorwerry ( scuse spelling ), needs to beef up and bring some more variations to his performance

RidgeRider

While I don't read other message boards, I suppose it is common. Our expectations are high.

What gets me is we often crucify players who are young and not blooded in properly, or who have been injured and don't make an immediate impacy, or are new to the squad and don't hit the ground running when they get their first chance to play, or who don't get proper minutes and then don't play at highest level.

List of players we've slain over the last several seasons:

Dempsey
Murphy
Dembele
Ruiz
Berbatov
Petric
Gera
Barid
Riise
Senderos
Duff
Kara
Kaca
Frei
Sidwell
Hangeland
Etuhu
Kelly
Konch
Schwarzer
Rodellega
Zamora
Johnson

Did I miss anyone?

Truthfully only Simon Davies and Brian McBride haven't been labled as "past it" or "a liability" in recent memory. Fickle we are........

grandad

Some even write players off before they have actually signed for us.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Walsh

The main reason people write players off so much is because they see 1 game they play and if they don't play very well they get slated and if a player plays really well everyone seems to think he's the bee's knee's. (just look at Callum McManaman for Wigan vs City, everyone made out that he was the best player in the world just because he played well in the final)

simplyfulham

:plus one:

EJL

His over-reliance on his right foot wouldn't be such a problem if he had the constant support of a full-back. Think about Arjen Robben: world class player, but he hates his right foot. A large part of his success has been having a brilliant full-back running alongside him at every club he's been at.

epsomraver

Quote from: simplyfulham on June 09, 2013, 06:26:58 PM
Epsom I think your post was the type of post that this thread is aimed at.

Your analysis is a little over critical, and I wouldn't necessarily say accurate but whatever - we're not talking about Frei directly are we.

The boy is 19 or something no? Why not give him 5 years to develop his game slightly.
Also on your point about Dembele and Arturworry, you have to remember they are still playing youth football essentially. The game will change dramatically for them when enter u21 level and again at senior level. Frei is currently going through this transition which is what puts him ahead of those two for most people.

That is why I put At present in bold letters, I am not writing him off but having watched frei at lower level for some time he does not stand out  even at that level considering he has had 1st team football as the others named do, since frei had a stunning game in the cup at the dog track he has been found out as lacking AT PRESENT

St Eve

have to agree. It baffles me that some people don't see the talent Frei and Kaca have.

psand22

I think we're all too impatient about players, coaches, and our team.  Everyone that's suited up, or been rumored to be coming has been drug thru the mud at one point (some constantly).  Unfortunately, there's too much money on the line to give everyone the time they need.  We need to ease up a bit at times, but these guys have to step up and make the most of their chances or ease on down the road.  As for Frei, I think he'll have a much better season this year.     

Big Martin Jol

We wrote Emanuelson off after twenty (admittedly painful) minutes. He turned out alright in the end.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

Burt

I suspect most of us were scratching our heads in puzzlement after Ruiz's first game for us against Blackburn, when he was subbed at half time. We should be patient, and trust that the club knows what they are doing when it comes to bringing people in, team selections, etc.