News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Merged Threads - Riether: Will He Stay or Go??

Started by sussexwhite, June 18, 2013, 10:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Holders on June 19, 2013, 08:26:54 AM
"Riether should be an alternative to Uchida". So, if they don't get Uchida, then someone thinks they should enquire about Riether.

Nothing unfactual about that but it's a very long way from "Riether's off".

They already have Uchida. He has been there since 2010.

SKSW6

Quote from: BenjyUK on June 19, 2013, 10:55:40 AM
Quote from: Peabody on June 19, 2013, 10:02:48 AM
And now it starts again.

We have few weeks of positive news and now we are reverting to type. Lets see how  we can be negative about our team. I suppose it can only get worse.

Basically right. The few who were unhappy that everyone was so happy with the club have come crawling back out due to some maybe maybe rumour that has very little basis and probably won't happen.

I'd hardly call direct quotes from Schalke's director of football a rumour with "very little basis".

..Kya.ffc..

Quote from: Jamie88 on June 18, 2013, 10:09:48 PM
Quote from: Jamie88 on June 18, 2013, 01:09:28 PM
Have we actually signed him though? I don't recall seeing anything official on the club website?
http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/july/06/fulham-sign-riether

Thats last seasons news item when we signed him on loan!
[/quote]
Whoops, that's no good, totally missed that. Looked Again and can not find it either... Though I am pretty sure that it have been announced on the site at some point.
Beers may have been involved in this post.

EJL

I can't find anything on the official site about him signing a permanent deal. I'm sure there was something on there. Maybe it was removed? Maybe I'm going mad? Maybe Silly Season is going to plunge me into depression?

Sascha could at least post something on twitter. I know it doesn't mean that much (see Hazard's flirting last summer), but it would at least put me at ease a bit.

Enter the Frei

it would take a ridicolous bid for a player of his age for someone to take him off us this summer. It's a non story.

Sacha posted on twitter that he'd signed, Jol said he'd signed in multiple interviews. I'm guessing because the process was so drawn out and was basically going to happen from about January time it never got it's full story on the website.

Holders

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on June 19, 2013, 10:57:14 AM
"Riether should be an alternative to Uchida". So, if they don't get Uchida, then someone thinks they should enquire about Riether.

Ok, I didn't know that and mis-read it. But is still doesn't sound as if he'd be guaranteed first-team football, just a back-up or to provide competition. Besides it's just speculation, like so much at this time of year.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

This is the mangled Google translation of the relevant bit of Ridgerider's link http://www.derwesten.de/sport/fussball/s04/bei-goretzkas-wechsel-zu-schalke-stehen-zeichen-auf-klage-id8086272.html.

It seems to say:

- we have signed Riether on a two year contract
  - Schalke would be interested in Riether as backup to Uchida if he was cheap enough.

I take the latter in a similar way to my interest in Messi as backup to Rodallega if he is cheap enough.

"And top candidate for the position of right-back is the two-time A-National player Sascha Riether and the volume in the past season 1 FC Köln was on loan to the English Premier League club Fulham.

Riether to be an alternative to Uchida

Because the 30-year-old at the London club became a top performer and was voted by fans as "Player of the Season ', Fulham drew the option to purchase 1.4 million euros and paid Riether from a two-year contract. Nevertheless, a change seems possible, with the English call a sum far in the Heldt threatened only once: "If the demand is too high, will not materialize."

Riether where Schalke two years ago was interested ever to be an alternative to the fluctuating in its services to Atsuto Uchida, on the right side of defense. Heldt also simultaneously praises the attitude of the ex-Cologne artist and explained. "We want to make in the future at our new items more on the mentality to not return something to experience as Ibi Afellay" The had in the last season, after he had been injured, just do not let look at Schalke.
".

Quote from: Holders on June 19, 2013, 11:43:04 AM

Ok, I didn't know that and mis-read it. But is still doesn't sound as if he'd be guaranteed first-team football, just a back-up or to provide competition. Besides it's just speculation, like so much at this time of year.

The use of `alternative' just shows the problems of automatic translations such as with Google. It's a very hard technical problem.

ffcbulgaria

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on June 19, 2013, 12:10:10 PM
The use of `alternative' just shows the problems of automatic translations such as with Google. It's a very hard technical problem.

Problems of automatic translation? You ever bothered to check a german dictionary if the word "Alternative" had any other meanings? :P

FFCByTheRiver

Quote from: SKSW6 on June 19, 2013, 11:17:00 AM
Quote from: BenjyUK on June 19, 2013, 10:55:40 AM
Quote from: Peabody on June 19, 2013, 10:02:48 AM
And now it starts again.

We have few weeks of positive news and now we are reverting to type. Lets see how  we can be negative about our team. I suppose it can only get worse.

Basically right. The few who were unhappy that everyone was so happy with the club have come crawling back out due to some maybe maybe rumour that has very little basis and probably won't happen.

I'd hardly call direct quotes from Schalke's director of football a rumour with "very little basis".

They're interested. Of course they are. That doesn't mean we've offered him or he's going.

Holders

Quote from: Holders on June 19, 2013, 11:43:04 AM

I certainly don't use google, I do the translation myself. I did misunderstand about Uchida though, I read it that they were after him, not that they'd got him. easy if you're not familiar with the intricacies of Schalke's teamsheet.

As I say, if you read what's said, google or not, it's flying a kite.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Quote from: ffcbulgaria on June 19, 2013, 12:39:54 PM

Problems of automatic translation? You ever bothered to check a german dictionary if the word "Alternative" had any other meanings? :P

I put up the Google translation because that seemed to be the source of the rumours. It uses `alternative'.

I do not think that a native speaker familiar with football would use `alternative' in this context.

They might say "We could buy player X. Player Y would be an alternative" but they would probably say "Riether would be cover/back up for Uchida", not `alternative' in that context. That's the technical difficulty. Dictionary lookup doesn't work. Some words are preferred in some contexts.

Alternatively I suppose it could also mean someone to challenge Uchida for the position of right back. Again it would require someone who is fluent (not me, I have trouble ordering a beer) to clarify that. But the stuff about only being interested if he is cheap doesn't seem to fit with that.

KP_FFC

im sure he'd much prefer a 1st team spot rather than on the bench to uchida

WORTHINGFULHAM

This is all media hype, Riether wont be going anywhere when we have only just signed him.  Dint get caught up in the whirlwind of media speculation at this time of the season!

filham

So far in this window we have had wild rumours about Ruiz and Berbatov leaving and now Reither, its going to be a long hard summer. Problem with us is that however stupid the rumour is there is always a chance that it could happen, particularly late in August , and that the club will again be caught with their trouser down as they were with the Dembele transfer last season.

Rupert

Quote from: filham on June 19, 2013, 07:00:51 PM
So far in this window we have had wild rumours about Ruiz and Berbatov leaving and now Reither, its going to be a long hard summer. Problem with us is that however stupid the rumour is there is always a chance that it could happen, particularly late in August , and that the club will again be caught with their trouser down as they were with the Dembele transfer last season.

Plus we do seem to have rather a large number of supporters who get some sort of kick out of believing every bad news rumour that hits the internet, however unlikely it may be, and they appear to revel in the odd correct forecast, smugly telling us they knew Dempsey/Dembele/Saha/Conway/Earle was going to go long before us mere mortals, and ignoring their more common failures such as Brede to Arsenal. I admit I laugh like a drain (not a pleasant sound, I assure you) whenever one of them posts something like "Please tell me the rumours of Myfavouriteplayer going to Myworstenemies FC isn't true, when half the time their post is the first inkling the rest of us have had of this latest piece of nonsense.

Ah, the silly season, if it did not exist we would all operate under the mistaken impression that all of our fans are rational human beings.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

cebu

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on June 19, 2013, 12:06:28 PM
This is the mangled Google translation of the relevant bit of Ridgerider's link http://www.derwesten.de/sport/fussball/s04/bei-goretzkas-wechsel-zu-schalke-stehen-zeichen-auf-klage-id8086272.html.

Because the 30-year-old at the London club became a top performer and was voted by fans as "Player of the Season ', Fulham drew the option to purchase 1.4 million euros and paid Riether from a two-year contract. "

If you believe this article, then just bear in mind that Berbatov was voted Player of the Season by the fans, not Sascha. If the geniuses at WAZ can't even get that right, what else did they screw up?

By the way, WAZ is a regional newspaper with all the "qualities" normally associated in the UK with the Daily Mail!

SaltfordWhite

I am quietly confident that our best players are either not good enough or to old to attract too much attention from any club big enough to be of concern.

Unless it is for personal reasons or a ridiculous bid from Joe Kinnear then I don't see anybody leaving us that we don't want to leave.