Main Menu

ex-Fulham striker Eddie Johnson puts US up 2-0

Started by RidgeRider, June 12, 2013, 04:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

mccscratch

Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

btings

Lovely pass from Geoff Cameron of Stoke City.  As Roger Bennett of ESPN (@rogbennett) said on twitter, "Geoff Cameron lucky Tony Pulis no longer manager of Stoke. TP would not like this deft, visionary, intelligent midfield display at all".

mccscratch

Quote from: btings on June 12, 2013, 05:59:29 AM
Lovely pass from Geoff Cameron of Stoke City.  As Roger Bennett of ESPN (@rogbennett) said on twitter, "Geoff Cameron lucky Tony Pulis no longer manager of Stoke. TP would not like this deft, visionary, intelligent midfield display at all".

Brilliant, makes my night.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

zschwartz

Roger Bennett is a great personality, men in blazers is a gem.

Eddie did not have success at Fulham but he has now scored for the USMNT in the last three world cup qualifying cycles and is a super nice guy. It was a nicely worked goal.

Ordar

Was a really nicely timed run and finish from EJ.

westcliff white

Every day is a Fulham day

Forever Fulham

I saw that.  Thing of beauty.  So different from his ineffectual form at Fulham.  He looks like a different player now.  Where did that first touch come from?

The King

RidgeRider

Quote from: Forever Fulham on June 12, 2013, 10:39:17 AM
I saw that.  Thing of beauty.  So different from his ineffectual form at Fulham.  He looks like a different player now.  Where did that first touch come from?

We never saw that first touch here at Fulham. I think EJ felt he was out of his league playing in the PL, and because he felt that way, he was.

Artful Dodger

There must be two Eddie Johnsons.......we had the other one!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

btings

He's grown up a lot since he was at Fulham.  He's even grown a lot over the past 12-18 months.

I'm still not sure he's PL-quality, but he is very solid in MLS and has been surprisingly good as an international since Klinsmann picked him up off the scrap heap.

WolverineFFC

Be interesting what happens to Cameron at Stoke with the new manager. Thought he was a complete bargain buy last season by Stoke. Was upset Fulham didn't make a bid at the price he went for.

Seeing him completely destroy the Panama central midfield defensively all night then make that pass reminded me why I thought he was a bargain in the first place. Plus, he has Chris Baird like versatility in that he play in the back 4, plus DM. 

btings

Quote from: WolverineFFC on June 13, 2013, 02:16:42 AM
Be interesting what happens to Cameron at Stoke with the new manager. Thought he was a complete bargain buy last season by Stoke. Was upset Fulham didn't make a bid at the price he went for.

Seeing him completely destroy the Panama central midfield defensively all night then make that pass reminded me why I thought he was a bargain in the first place. Plus, he has Chris Baird like versatility in that he play in the back 4, plus DM. 

I agree with all of this - I thought he was a bargain for Stoke, and then was perplexed when he wasn't starting by the end of the season.

He doesn't appear to be Klinsmann's first choice for the US, either -- he was only starting because Jermaine Jones picked up a concussion against Jamaica.  Jones has improved recently in that team, but Cameron made a compelling case to start at DM.  He sits deeper than Jones, which frees Michael Bradley to play farther forward, which seems to correlate with the US scoring goals.

horse1031

Michael Bradley is the key to the US team.  We struggle mightily in attack if he is not playing.  I agree with Mctoot that EJ's issues have always been between the ears.  He is a mental midget and with all of that speed and talent its too bad.  Watching Clint play it seems like he is oozing confidence... like he knows he is better than everyone.  Get the back four sorted out and the US could be decent if Bradley or Clint doesnt get injured.  They also need Landon on the team with his experience.  I wish he wasnt such a primadonna.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: horse1031 on June 13, 2013, 02:25:09 PM
Michael Bradley is the key to the US team.  We struggle mightily in attack if he is not playing.  I agree with Mctoot that EJ's issues have always been between the ears.  He is a mental midget and with all of that speed and talent its too bad.  Watching Clint play it seems like he is oozing confidence... like he knows he is better than everyone.  Get the back four sorted out and the US could be decent if Bradley or Clint doesnt get injured.  They also need Landon on the team with his experience.  I wish he wasnt such a primadonna.

Feel free to agree with me, but I didn't say EJ was a 'mental midget'. He had a serious confidence issue while he was with us....for whatever reason......and he seemed to be in a funk for a long time after that. I'm happy he's finding success again.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

valdeingruo

Anyone just see the Fulham Eddie just wiff an open goal?
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi