watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lost football grounds...

Started by LBNo11, June 22, 2013, 10:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HillingdonFFC

Football grounds were much more interesting in the old days. Remember the old man taking us to away days as a kid and recall that little tingle of excitement when you glimpsed the floodlights through the houses. Love terracing and remember, Maine Road, Leeds Road, St Andrews, Turf Moor etc all having huge side terraces but nothing compared to the East terrace at the Valley.
A mate had cousins who lived about 50 yards from the Valley, he got us tickets for my first visit in 84/85, we sat in the old all seated home end. I remember watching the Fulham fans who were very numerous and vocal that day as we won 2-1 but the main recollection is mucking about on that terrace with my brother, it was absolutely massive.
A few seasons later when it was boarded up and overgrown we would go in the stands and offices and explore, it was a forlorn sight in those days.
Loved the Goldstone too, the main memory of my first trip, one hot early season game was Fulham fans fighting each other after arguing about Gordon Davies who had gone to Chelsea. Was up in the corner of the large side terrace. Had some good days there and some not so, there was a lot of trouble in Hove Park after a game there in about 87 or 88 ?The last visit we were lucky to get in as hundreds were still queuing outside as they closed the gates just after we went through the turnstiles.
The ground I really regret missing out on was Gay Meadow, reckon that would`ve been a good day out.

Travers Barney

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on June 28, 2013, 04:31:48 PM
Football grounds were much more interesting in the old days. Remember the old man taking us to away days as a kid and recall that little tingle of excitement when you glimpsed the floodlights through the houses. Love terracing and remember, Maine Road, Leeds Road, St Andrews, Turf Moor etc all having huge side terraces but nothing compared to the East terrace at the Valley.
A mate had cousins who lived about 50 yards from the Valley, he got us tickets for my first visit in 84/85, we sat in the old all seated home end. I remember watching the Fulham fans who were very numerous and vocal that day as we won 2-1 but the main recollection is mucking about on that terrace with my brother, it was absolutely massive.
A few seasons later when it was boarded up and overgrown we would go in the stands and offices and explore, it was a forlorn sight in those days.
Loved the Goldstone too, the main memory of my first trip, one hot early season game was Fulham fans fighting each other after arguing about Gordon Davies who had gone to Chelsea. Was up in the corner of the large side terrace. Had some good days there and some not so, there was a lot of trouble in Hove Park after a game there in about 87 or 88 ?The last visit we were lucky to get in as hundreds were still queuing outside as they closed the gates just after we went through the turnstiles.
The ground I really regret missing out on was Gay Meadow, reckon that would`ve been a good day out.

Only went a couple of times to Gay Meadow..last visit was that cup defeat 96 ish...Danny Bolt took a free kick it got charged down they went and scored and goodnight vienna....no Liverpool next round ....was in the side bit with my then ten year old..told him at the time to get used to it....little did we know how life would change so dramatically for Fulham FC.

coyw
We are the whites

Travers Barney

Quote from: LBNo11 on June 28, 2013, 03:44:37 PM
...the lovely old Bradford PA ground stand:-

Fantastic pic...think of Bradford PA and think of Jim Fryatt and that fastest ever goal.

coyw
We are the whites

LBNo11

...slightly off topic but such an atmospheric picture taken in 1962 after Accrington Stanley had folded. Seeing as Bobby Vee is being advertised I assume it must be a rubber ball:-

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Holders

Gateshead, Bradford Park Avenue, Workington, Barrow... All were league teams in my youth, now replaced by newcomers like Wimbledon, Watford, Barnet, Wigan and so on.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria