watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

***FOF EXCLUSIVE*** A Virtual Audience with Tommy Guthrie

Started by Burt, June 25, 2013, 09:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE COST OF THE CLUB'S MERCHANDISE?

I'm by no means a retail expert but I think it's probably within an acceptable range by market standards. In general terms Adidas gear is little more expensive (and I would argue better made) than some other manufacturers, so inevitably there will be variations across different ranges. I'm a big fan of the new training gear. I think even I might look the part playing in that!

Burt

IF FULHAM WERE AN ANIMAL, WHAT ANIMAL WOULD IT BE (BADGER IS NOT AN ANSWER)?

I suppose it would need to be something traditional, quintessentially English, stoic, friendly, faithful and with a bit of drive and energy; Perhaps an English Mastiff – a white one, of course.

Burt

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ALL ALONE AT CRAVEN COTTAGE? WHAT DID YOU DO?

There is 24 hour security at the stadium, so you are never truly alone at Craven Cottage. I have found myself there late in the evenings, after games or events. There is a wonderful, otherworldly ambience in empty football grounds after dark, especially the Cottage. It's a special place.

Burt

IN MEMORY OF FINNSTER01, HAVE YOU EVER TAKEN USED THE RESTROOMS IN CRAVEN COTTAGE?

Have I ever used the toilets?!! Err, yes – once or twice. I hope that's alright!

I should say it was wonderful the way the FoF board rallied around after Finnster passed. Some people talk disparagingly about online forums, but those simple messages and acts of kindness demonstrated how it can provide the very best elements of a community and long may that continue.

Burt

WHY CAN'T I HAVE THE BOTTLE TOP WHEN I BUY A BOTTLE OF COKE INSIDE THE GROUND?!? YOU KNOW IT'S GOING TO KICKED OVER WHEN EVERYONE JUMPS UP! IS IT REALLY BECAUSE PEOPLE MAY SLIP ON A BOTTLE WITH A TOP ON BUT ONE WITHOUT A TOP WILL JUST SQUASH?

You can. We looked at this with our Safety Officer when he arrived last year and you can now keep the top on a 500ml plastic bottle. You are right about the trip hazard, although a walkway is equally hazardous with a spilt drink on it, so for me it's a question of objectively balancing the potential risks. It's a rule I'm pleased we were able to change.

Burt

THANKS FOR HELPING ORGANIZE THE FOF TOUR OF MOTSPUR PARK LAST SEASON, JUST HOW MUCH THERAPY DID YOU NEED AFTER OUR VISIT?

None at all. I did a bit of tour guiding whilst I was at university in Edinburgh Castle and it's something I like to do. It's also nice to put faces to names and its interesting doing the research.

Burt

ASIDE FROM US, WHAT IS THE STRANGEST GROUP YOU HAVE EVER SHOWN AROUND MOTSPUR PARK?

I showed a film director round a while back. He was here to shoot a promotional video encouraging health checks in what you might term a 'sensitive area'. That was slightly different from the everyday.

Burt

APART FROM THE EUROPA LEAGUE FINAL, WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE EUROPEAN TRIP WITH THE CLUB?

To be honest, the Final wasn't my favourite. I very much enjoyed it but the weeks leading up to the game and the days in Hamburg were probably the busiest I've had here. By the time the match came around I was really quite exhausted and I didn't get a lot of time to take it all in.

I was proud to be involved in it though, and to see so many Fulham fans there. There was a moment right at the end, where the ball slipped out for a goal kick and instinctively our supporters, knowing the game was up, began to clap the effort of the players. That is one that stays with me.

Bundling in the matches, the towns, the stadiums and the personal memories, I'd put Sofia and Split pretty near the top of my list. I was off getting married, so I missed to trip to Vilnius, but it's one a lot of staff reminisce about.

Burt

WHAT IS THE CLUB'S STANCE ON PERSISTENT STANDING IN SEATED AREAS?

The Club is against it, but like any rule you need to use some discretion and common sense when applying it. If large groups of fans choose to stand then it's potentially more dangerous and arguably unfair to make arbitrary ejections, which could lead to wider disorder. Personally I'd like to see the front areas of every away end reserved for the use of families and older fans, in part because it would help to alleviate this problem. It's never really a big problem at the Cottage, except occasionally in the Putney End.

Burt

ARE AWAY FANS AND HOME FANS TREATED EQUALLY?

Historically no but increasingly more so; The Premier League has done a lot of good work in this area and our stadium is now professionally audited throughout the season. This allows us to benchmark our home and away matchday experience and the feedback/scores for our home and visiting areas is pretty consistent. It also gives us an insight into which other clubs do things well, which is very useful in terms of planning and making changes.

Burt

WHAT CAN BE DONE TO STOP AWAY FANS GETTING INTO THE HAMMERSMITH END AND WHY DO THE STEWARDS DO NOTHING TO EJECT THEM? 

The rationale is similar to the issue of persistent standing. Ejecting fans should be seen as a last resort and stewards will often monitor fans rather than risking wider disorder. The real reason you should throw a fan out is because their behavior or actions are dangerous or anti-social – not on account of the team they support.

An away fan in the wrong part of the ground has the potential to be a big problem, of course, but personally I don't agree with ejecting a fan who respects their environment and is simply watching the game. Our stewards will often move fans to the Putney End - if space allows it and they are comfortable with their general behaviour. Our Control Room can also monitor areas in detail using CCTV, so often there is more going on to ensure crowd safety than you may think.

Burt

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MAN UTD STEWARDS?

I don't see them every week, but like most clubs I'm sure there are more good ones than bad ones. I know they press the persistent standing rule more vigorously than some clubs, which is their prerogative. It's important to remember that stewards conduct operations at ground level, but they don't make policy decisions – that comes higher up the chain. There's no excuse for rudeness or lack of respect and that has to be a two-way street between staff and fans.

Burt

DO YOU EVER FEEL FRUSTRATED IN HAVING TO SEND OUT A 'STANDARD LETTER OF RESPONSE' WHEN CERTAIN ISSUES CROP UP AND WANT TO REPLY WITH YOUR OWN POINT OF VIEW AND TELL IT HOW IT IS?

I'm not a fan of standard letters. I don't like receiving them and I don't like sending them. Across the department we always try to pen individual responses to letters and emails – that's one of our golden rules. However, if a lot of people contact you on the same issue at the same time, then standard replies of some description are required, simply to allow you to respond and relay information in an acceptable amount of time.

Burt

ARE THE CLUB AWARE OF THE MASSIVE VOID AT THE BACK OF THE HAMMERSMITH END WHICH AFFECT THE PROJECTION OF THE FANS ACTUAL LOUDNESS?

We are. We had a company in to assess it a while back but it was awkward to find a solution we were comfortable with, so at the moment it is unlikely to change. It might be something we look at once some other work has been completed – at the moment we are focusing on upgrades to the concourse areas and the toilets which should make a difference.

Burt

WHY DO YOU THINK WE FIND IT SO DIFFICULT TO WIN AWAY?

Winning away matches isn't easy. Last season we managed 4 away victories, a mark that was bettered by only 10 teams in the division, and we finished 12th.

If you take 4 as a mark and look back over the past 5 seasons (roughly the period I've been at the Club), then that holds up as an average. Each season 10 teams (with a high of 12) fail to better 4 away victories.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer, but our documented "away problems" are exaggerated somewhat by the fact we experienced a tough few years on the road after joining the league. Although not spectacular, more recently our away form has been steadier and over time it's a gradually improving trend. Hopefully that will continue.

Burt

IS THE GENERALLY POOR FOLLOWING AT AWAY GAMES A CONCERN FOR THE CLUB? IF SO, ARE THERE PLANS TO TRY AND INCREASE THE TRAVELLING FANBASE?

I never like hearing our away contingent described as poor, as I think it's very unfair on the ones who are actually there. We may not have the most, but we most definitely have some of the best travelling fans in the league. Of course we would like to see more fans travelling and have been encouraged by the lift in attendances in recent years. I feel part of the answer lies in league-wide negotiations with train companies, on APEX fares and refunds, so I hope that's something the league can develop.

Our supporter base has grown quickly over a short span of time, so I also feel it will improve naturally as some of our younger fans begin to get to an age where they can travel independently.

Burt

WHAT'S THE MOOD AROUND THE CLUB FOR THE NON-PLAYERS, AFTER WE LOSE A GAME? IS IT DESPAIR THAT WE LOST OR MORE DETERMINATION THAT WE'LL WIN THE NEXT?

Game-by-game I think most people dust themselves down and very quickly get focussed on the next fixture. It's tougher when we go through a protracted period of poor form, but (touch wood) there haven't been too many of those in my time here. And there's always a spring in your step coming in after a big win.

Burt

WILL ANY OF THE CHICKENS GET RENAMED, RETIRED, TRANSFERRED OR EATEN WHEN THEIR PLAYER EQUIVALENT IS NO LONGER AT THE CLUB?

You make a good point. There may well need to be a rebranding exercise sooner rather than later!

I believe the hens lay eggs for about 3 years. There has already been talk of a retirement home for them after they leave. Personally I'd like to see them in the lounges on matchdays, alongside the other legends. The stories they could tell.

Burt

DO YOUR EVER LOOK IN ON THE FRIENDS OF FULHAM WEBSITE?

Yes, most days if I'm in the office.

Burt

WITH THE OLD OFFICIAL FORUM AND FANS PAGE BEING MADE REDUNDANT HOW IMPORTANT ARE THE INDEPENDENT SITES TO THE CLUB IN GAUGING ISSUES THAT BECOME A HOT TOPIC?

They are for me, as they are an excellent sounding board and gauge of current moods and topics. Social media is increasingly useful and used on that front as well.