more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (02/07/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 02, 2013, 04:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Mark Schwarzer leaves Fulham after turning down new deal

Veteran goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is to leave Fulham after turning down a new contract, the club has announced.

Schwarzer, 40, who joined on a free transfer in 2008 from Middlesbrough, is the first overseas player to make 500 top-flight appearances.

Fulham signed Dutch goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg from AS Roma for an undisclosed fee last month.

Australia international Schwarzer is keen to continue to play first-team football.

He had said that he would not decide his future until after Australia's crucial 2014 World Cup qualifier against Iraq last month, which the Socceroos won to reach their third successive World Cup finals.

Schwarzer is one of a number of first-team players leaving the club.

Other departures include Northern Ireland defender Chris Baird, Greek midfielder Giorgos Karagounis, Croatian striker Mladen Petric and former Wales international Simon Davies.

Fulham have signed Venezuela defender Fernando Amorebieta from Athletic Bilbao and midfielder Derek Boateng from Ukranian side Dnipro on free transfers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23131058?

WhiteJC

Berbatov 'happy' and will see out Fulham contract

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov will see out the remaining year of his Craven Cottage contract, his agent has said.

Berbatov, 32, was the Cottagers' top scorer last season, netting 15 Premier League goals following his move to West London from Manchester United.

The Bulgarian has been linked with a summer move to Russia, and Zenit St Petersburg are believed to have expressed firm interest in a deal.

But Berbatov's agent, Emil Danchev, said the player would be staying put and was happy with life at Craven Cottage.

"He has another one year [on his] contract with Fulham, and he will stay at Fulham until the end of his contract," Danchev was quoted as saying by the Evening Standard.

"He's happy at Fulham and he wants to stay another year. I don't want to comment on other clubs. Even if there is interest, he's happy and he wants to stay. He will play football for at least two more years."

However, Danchez had said a move to Russia could be an appealing possibility for Berbatov at a later stage.

"The Russian League is growing seriously and should soon become one of the leading championships in Europe, so to play in that country would be interesting," he told Izvestia.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/217791.html#qmRr3KY6cr3OyeSH.99

WhiteJC

Away Days: Part Two

Having clocked up thousands of miles between them, we asked a number of fans to share their thoughts on all of the 19 Barclays Premier League grounds that Fulham will visit during the 2013/14 campaign. We've previewed the first five away trips and now for the next...

Liverpool – Anfield (Saturday 9th November 2013)
"Liverpool may not be competing at the very top at the moment, but they're still one of the huge clubs of world football - which is a reason in itself to go and see the Whites play at Anfield. The city's lively and full of history, the stadium's a short taxi ride from the train station and on my visit we found the locals to be very welcoming.

"Unfortunately our group of friends decided to go to Anfield when we lost 4-0 in 2006, despite the match being 0-0 at half-time. A friend whispered, 'I think we might sneak a result here,' when the game was still goalless and shortly afterwards Liverpool scored three goals in about five minutes. He's not allowed to talk during games any more.

"But with a win at Anfield in 2012 now under our belts I'm confident we can do it again this season, and would recommend anyone to take the chance to see the famous Kop End and experience a thoroughly enjoyable day out when we visit in November."

Liam Ketley

West Ham United – Boleyn Ground (Saturday November 2013)
"The ground itself is quite old fashioned and compact and that helped the atmosphere, which I have to say wasn't at all bad. With the famous 'Bubbles' song ringing out before kick-off, it was quite a moment to see every home fan join in. But seeing those same fans celebrate three goals against us wasn't so good.

"Try to avoid travelling home via the tube unless you fancy a wait longer than the game itself, as the queues into the station are monumentally long. A bit like the wait to see us win at Upton Park - I've not seen it happen live yet. But there's always hope for the coming season."

Billy Murphy

Everton – Goodison Park (Saturday 14th December 2013)
"Goodison Park is an old-style ground and supposedly the first purpose built football ground in Britain. The away fans are seated at one end of the Bullens Road Stand which runs along the pitch, so you get a similar view to the one from our Johnny Haynes or Riverside Stand.

"The atmosphere is up there with the best I've ever experienced. Everton fans love their football and if the Toffees take the lead the whole place comes alive. I like to think Everton are a similar team to Fulham and the matches between us tend to be great to watch, even if the result is, unfortunately, yet to go our way.

"The ground is relatively easy to get to thanks to good public transport links and is definitely a great football experience, even if it is perhaps one for the more optimistic Fulham faithful."

James Southall

Norwich City – Carrow Road (Thursday 26th December 2013)
"Carrow Road is one of my favourite away grounds, it's a really colourful, vibrant stadium. Although parts of the stadium are newer than others, Carrow Road still retains a traditional feel and a real sense of family. The fans are passionate and never stop singing in the Barclay Stand.

"As with all away games there were songs between the two sets of fans and afterwards there were plenty of laughs to be had on the train. The atmosphere was really laid back and an absolute laugh.

"They have decent food at decent prices, although possibly not quite the Delia Smith standards that some would expect! Travelling to Carrow Road is easy, trains run into Norwich station every 10-15 minutes or so and the stadium is around a 10-minute walk from there."

Ben Jarman

Hull City – The Kingston Communications Stadium (Saturday 28th December 2013)
"The KC Stadium is a relatively new ground, having opened in 2002. Fulham's first visit was on the opening day of the 2008/09 season, which also happened to be Hull's first game in the top flight.

"Perhaps unsurprisingly, there was a fever pitch atmosphere in the stadium that day. Despite a good start and a goal from Seol Ki-Hyeon, the home side would run out eventual 2-1 winners. The following campaign wasn't any better, following a 2-0 defeat. I'm optimistic this year, though, and I couldn't bear to listen to the chant, 'you're getting mauled by the Tigers,' for a third time.

"I remember trips to Hull's previous ground, Boothferry Park, which had a very unique feature: the railway behind the side terracing actually had turnstiles on the platform, meaning you'd step off the train and into the stadium."

Martin Goldthorpe

For the full 2013/14 fixture list click here.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/01/away-days?

WhiteJC

Bocanegra returns to MLS, signs with Chivas USA

If Carlos Bocanegra is to return to the U.S. national team picture, he'll do so as a member of Chivas USA.

The much-maligned MLS side traded a first-round pick in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft and an international roster slot through 2014 to Toronto FC in exchange for the top spot in the MLS allocation order, which it used to select the former U.S. national team captain.

Bocanegra, who has 110 caps for the USA, was benched for the USA's World Cup qualifying match in Honduras in February and has yet to be called in by Jurgen Klinsmann since then. Clint Dempsey has taken the reins as captain in his place, and Bocanegra was also left off the USA's Gold Cup roster to sort out his club situation.

As it turns out, it did not take long to come to a conclusion.

"This is great news for Chivas USA, as Carlos Bocanegra is a very experienced player with great image and with a strong desire to be in California after his time in European soccer," Chivas USA sporting president Dennis te Kloese said in a statement. "I think his experience is going to be very valuable for us, as he knows MLS well from when he played for Chicago Fire, and has a long track record with the U.S. men's national team.

"His arrival also reaffirms and strengthens the identity we are seeking in Chivas USA, a team with outstanding elements who give a little extra to Chivas USA. The great combination of his experience and being from Los Angeles will contribute a lot to Chivas USA."

The 34-year-old Bocanegra is the second U.S. center back to return to MLS in recent days after San Jose signed Clarence Goodson from Danish side Brondby on Friday.

Bocanegra was freed from his contract with Rangers on Saturday and became a free agent, and he has elected to return to the league where his career began back in 2000 as a member of the Chicago Fire. He bolted for Fulham in 2004 and spent four years at Craven Cottage followed by spells at Rennes, Saint Etienne and Rangers. He spent last season on loan from the embattled Scottish side at Racing Santander in Spain's second division.

Bocanegra, a California native, joins a Chivas USA team that is in last place in the Western Conference and has conceded a league-worst 31 goals.

"I'm very excited to join the club," Bocanegra said in a team press release. "I know it's going to be a big challenge, because the club hasn't been getting the greatest results on the field but it's something I'm looking forward to. The club has made me feel very welcomed and did a big effort to have me sign with the club so that I'll be able to help try to turn the team around into being on the positive foot.

"It feels really good to be coming back home. I've been following MLS a lot more closely this year, and I got my start here in the league, so I'm excited to seeing personally how much the League has grown. I've noticed how it's grown so much by following it on TV and the internet, but actually being out there on the field and being able to compete make me excited to see how the level has gotten better and how it's grown."

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2013-07-01/bocanegra-mls-chivas-usa-transfer-rangers?

WhiteJC

Murphy to Exit Ewood Park

Up at Ewood Park, Danny Murphy`s Blackburn Rovers career looks to have fluctuated for the last time.

From looking as if he was surplus to requirements earlier last season and then being touted as a possible player-coach, it`s now being reported that Blackburn are looking to come to some sort of agreement with our ex-captain to get him off of the books.

Murphy has a year left on a contract that reportedly pays £40,000 a week, therefore it`ll take some negotiating to reach an amicable agreement we`d imagine.

However, such discussions appear to have been concluded successfully with it being announced this morning that Blackburn Rovers and Danny Murphy have reached a mutual agreement to terminate his contract with immediate effect.

It`ll also be interesting to see if Danny continues to pursue a playing career or looks for a move into coaching or management.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=323474#ixzz2Xr8EvcFy

WhiteJC

Schwarzer Ties Officially Cut

Official confirmation has appeared on the BBC that Mark Schwarzer, as we expected, has left Fulham Football Club.

Forty year-old Schwarzer was offered, so the news feed says, a new contract but turned it down, we assume because the promise of first team football wasn`t forthcoming.

We`re not sure where Schwarzer will appear next but he leaves Craven Cottage with the honour of being the first overseas player to make 500 top-flight appearances.

Here at Vital Fulham we`d like to wish the Australian bon-voyage and thank him for all his efforts for Fulham Football Club.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=323476#ixzz2Xr8SS6Ad

WhiteJC

Burn's Former Boss Expects St Andrews Move

Swindon Town's assistant manager Mark Cooper has given his views on Championship side Birmingham City's plans to sign Dan Burn on loan. Cooper used to be Burn's boss at Darlington before he completed an April 2011 move to Premier League side Fulham. Having kept track of the former Yeovil Town loanee's career path since then, Cooper appears to have been told that the 21 year old is on his way to St Andrews.

Birmingham are expected to seal season-long loan deals for Burn and Swansea City centre-back Kyle Bartley to cover them for summer departures within their squad, and Cooper has told the Birmingham Mail that he expects the player to succeed in his new surroundings:

"He won't be fazed by it, not at all. He's a great character, from a real nice family and he's a young lad willing to listen, learn and improve. And the main thing is that he has got the attributes to handle the Championship and do well. Dan has a very calm manner for his age, he's got a really good left foot and he's good in the air, which he should be for someone his size. Every time I have seen him he has gone from strength to strength and I can understand why (Birmingham City manager) Lee Clark is signing him. I think they (Fulham) have pitched it about right loaning him last season, and now allowing him to go to Birmingham, and I'm sure he will be fine moving up a level again."

Cooper has said that he watched Yeovil Town's League One Play-Off Final win over Brentford at Wembley Stadium, where Burn headed home the second Glovers goal, but he added that he was particularly impressed with how the Blyth-born player handled the final minutes of that game:

"In that final he showed he can handle the big occasion. When Brentford sent everyone up in the last few minutes he was heading it away, making clearances – he was really dominant."

The expectation is that Burn and Bartley will be named as Birmingham players later this week. Yeovil Town manager Gary Johnson said that the door was still open for the defender to change his mind, but that he was realistic enough to know what his chances were, and is believed to have plans to sign up two defenders in the near future, having also seen Richard Hinds leave the club over the summer.

http://www.ciderspace.co.uk/ASP/news/news.asp?NewsItemId=19760

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: WhiteJC on July 02, 2013, 04:34:50 AM

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov will see out the remaining year of his Craven Cottage contract, his agent has said.

Berbatov, 32, was the Cottagers' top scorer last season, netting 15 Premier League goals following his move to West London from Manchester United.

The Bulgarian has been linked with a summer move to Russia, and Zenit St Petersburg are believed to have expressed firm interest in a deal.

But Berbatov's agent, Emil Danchev, said the player would be staying put and was happy with life at Craven Cottage.

"He has another one year [on his] contract with Fulham, and he will stay at Fulham until the end of his contract," Danchev was quoted as saying by the Evening Standard.

"He's happy at Fulham and he wants to stay another year. I don't want to comment on other clubs. Even if there is interest, he's happy and he wants to stay. He will play football for at least two more years."

However, Danchez had said a move to Russia could be an appealing possibility for Berbatov at a later stage.

"The Russian League is growing seriously and should soon become one of the leading championships in Europe, so to play in that country would be interesting," he told Izvestia.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/217791.html#qmRr3KY6cr3OyeSH.99

Is this essentially Berbatov saying "One more year then I am gone!" ???
Presumably we, the fans, and the club's management would want to extend his contract if he had another decent season?
Does this put pay to that?

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on July 02, 2013, 01:14:56 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on July 02, 2013, 04:34:50 AM

Is this essentially Berbatov saying "One more year then I am gone!" ???Presumably we, the fans, and the club's management would want to extend his contract if he had another decent season?
Does this put pay to that?

I have that same feeling. I think he's going to take on one more challenge.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

WhiteJC

Alex Out To Impress

Fulham midfielder Alexander Kačaniklić says that he is planning to make his mark on the First Team in the 2013/14 season.

Kačaniklić began the season well in SW6 but was then sent out on loan to gain experience at Burnley. The Sweden winger returned to impress again at Craven Cottage towards the end of the campaign and now he wants to cement his place in Manager Martin Jol's plans.

"Next season I have ambitions of playing more football for Fulham, that's my goal," he told the official website. "I played a fair bit last season, but every player wants to play more don't they? I'm no different.

"I think I've shown what I can do and, of course, there's a lot more to come from me. I'm a young player, so I'm still developing. But at the same time, I'm confident in my ability and know that I can play my part for the team."

The winger has been selected to start Sweden's last three games - against Macedonia, Austria and the Faroe Islands. He grabbed the winning goal in the 1-0 friendly win at home to Macedonia and believes his international efforts have helped him to develop.

"I feel like a First Team player now, I have quite a bit of experience - including at international level too," he said. "I learned a lot during the 2012/13 campaign and will be looking to push on even further next season."

Always keen to improve, Kačaniklić has set himself the target of getting on the scoresheet more often.

"One of my other goals is to score more - I got four last year and made four assists," he added. "If I come off the pitch and haven't scored, or created good chances for my teammates, then I know that I could have done better.

"There have been times when I've got into good positions during games, so the aim for next season is to improve on those four goals. I think it's an area where I can contribute; I want to make more of a difference."

You can pre-order the home kit and also buy the training kit worn by Alex here

Join us at Craven Cottage for all 19 Barclays Premier League home games, starting with Arsenal. Find out more about 2013/14 Season Tickets and buy online today.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/02/alex-out-to-impress?

WhiteJC

Former Fulham trainee hoping to give Barnet extra firepower

Keanu Marsh-Brown believes he can bring goals to the Barnet side after signing a contract that extends his stay with the club till the end of next season.

Marsh-Brown initially joined the Bees on a short-term deal in March after his contract with previous club Yeovil Town was cancelled by mutual consent.

The Fulham academy graduate is hoping to build on a series of eye-catching displays for the Bees last season, which included scoring the winner on his debut against AFC Wimbledon.

"I just want to get in and stay in the team," said Marsh-Brown.

"My target is to get around 18 goals and just work hard for the team and do my best to get us promoted."

The 20-year-old Londoner can be deployed on either flank but said that his favourite position is playing just behind the striker.

Although he is yet to play non-league football, Marsh-Brown is relishing the challenge and is delighted to continue playing for Barnet under Dutch legend Edgar Davids.

"It's been a great experience so far and he's a great manager who brings out the best of you and your qualities," said Marsh-Brown.

"He expects the highest standards, to give 100% every day and train the way you play and hopefully that will come out in the games."

Marsh-Brown believes the team spirit at Barnet will help their quest for promotion and insisted that unity will be crucial if the Bees are to have a successful season.

"The mood in the camp is great," he said.

"All the boys have come back after the disappointment of last season. They've all come in focused and ready and our main objective is to get back into the football league."

"It will be difficult because not all the players are used to playing in the Conference and there are a lot of young players in the squad, so we'll have to pull together with the experienced players and help build morale so that we can dig out the results."

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/07/02/former-fulham-trainee-hoping-to-give-barnet-extra-firepower/?

WhiteJC

Fulham and West Ham among clubs chasing Crystal Palace's Yannick Bolasie

Crystal Palace winger Yannick Bolasie is wanted by Fulham and West Ham.

The 24-year-old, who was named in the Championship Team of the Year last season, is also attracting interest from West Brom, Swansea and Southampton.

Bolasie has made a huge impression at Selhurst Park since a £300k move from Bristol City last summer and is valued at around £2million.

He still has two years left on his contract with Palace, who are preparing for life in the Premier League following their promotion last season.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-and-west-ham-among-clubs-chasing-crystal-palaces-yannick-bolasie-8682939.html

WhiteJC

Wolves boss resigned to losing Fulham target

KENNY Jackett insists he won't stand in Bakary Sako's way as the Wolves winger tries to push through a move to Fulham.

The Whites are in talks with the Midlands club as they try to thrash out a deal for the highly-rated 25-year-old.

Sako is desperate to be given the green light to speak to Fulham, and Molineux chief Jackett admits he's resigned to losing the Frenchman following relegation from the Championship.

"He was one I thought wouldn't necessarily be here,'' the new Wolves boss told the Birmingham Mail.

"He had a very good season last year and there are many naturally-gifted left-sided players around – and he certainly comes into that category, so it doesn't surprise me there has been a lot of interest in him.

"He's not one I thought would necessarily be with us in League One at the start.

"Fulham are genuinely interested in Sako and now it is about negotiations between the two clubs.

"As far as I know no fee has been agreed yet, but they are in negotiations. I don't know if it is close.

"The offer's at a very high level, whether it is at a point where the powers that be at Wolves want to accept that or not is another matter."

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/07/02/82029-33555251/?#ixzz2XtpnkqL8

WhiteJC

League One: Wolves confirm talks underway with Fulham for midfielder Bakary Sako

Wolves boss Kenny Jackett has confirmed talks are underway with Fulham over a deal to take Bakary Sako to Craven Cottage.

Sako was one of few players to impress for the Molineux side last season when, after going into the year as one of the favourites to be promoted, they were relegated to the third tier of English football.

Jackett was appointed to try and get them back to the Championship at the first attempt, but he admits he may have to do so without attacking midfielder Sako, who scored nine goals last season.

The former Saint-Etienne player pleaded with the club to allow him to leave last week and Jackett confirmed to the Birmingham Mail that they are favourites to secure his services.

"Fulham are genuinely interested in Sako and now it is about negotiations between the two clubs," he said.

"As far as I know no fee has been agreed yet, but they are in negotiations. I don't know if it is close. The offer's at a very high level, whether it is at a point where the powers that be at Wolves want to accept that or not is another matter.

"He's not one I thought would necessarily be with us in League One at the start."

Jackett also revealed there could be further departures before the start of the season with keeper Dorus de Vries not training on Monday to talk with an unspecified Dutch club - he had talks with Roda JC last week.

He said there is also interest in transfer-listed players Roger Johnson, Jamie O'Hara, Stephen Ward and Karl Henry.

"There has been interest. Kevin Thelwell and Jez Moxey are mainly handling the negotiations on that front. There have been some enquiries, as you would imagine on July 1st, but nothing concrete that any of those are close to a move to any club," Jackett concluded.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8802100/?

WhiteJC

5 Midfield Destroyers To Bring Steel To Fulham's Lilywhite Midfield

Having seen Tottenham Hotspur pinch Mousa Dembele from them mere days before the end of the transfer window last August, Fulham's inability to replace the Belgian in their central midfield was somewhat understandable.

However they struggled throughout the season to dominate the middle of the park, and there is every they will seeking to add some steel to their midfield over coming months.

Finding the right man will be vital in their attempts to improve their 12th place finish last season, and there are several players who Fulham should target this summer.

Josua Guilavogui – St. Etienne

Scott Parker – Tottenham Hotspur

Etienne Capoue – Toulouse

Victor Wanyama – Celtic

Radja Nainggolan – Cagliari

http://squawka.com/news/2013/07/02/5-midfield-destroyers-to-bring-steel-to-fulhams-lilywhite-midfield/2013070212214?

WhiteJC

19 Home Games

Buy a 2013/14 Season Ticket today and secure your seat to watch the Whites take on all 19 Barclays Premier League opponents up close at the Cottage.

There's plenty of fascinating fixtures to look forward to, first up at home are Arsene Wenger's Arsenal on Saturday 24th August, David Moyes will visit the Cottage for the first time as Manchester United boss in November.

We're at home to West Ham United on New Year's Day and Jose Mourinho will return as Chelsea manager in March, while we finish the season at home to Crystal Palace in another local derby.

Season Tickets at Fulham start from just £449 for adults, and juniors from £220. Fans can also spread the cost thanks to our Instalment Plan.

And don't forget all the added extras that come with your Season Ticket: priority access to home, away and cup tickets, 10% off Fulham products including our brand new adidas Kit ranges, 10% off at the Cafe at the Cottage, and much more!

Get your 2013/14 Season Ticket today online or call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/02/19-home-games?

WhiteJC

Starlet eyes Cottage spot

Alexander Kacaniklic has stressed that his target is to secure more first-team football with Fulham in the new Premier League season.

The 21-year-old Sweden international winger enjoyed a good start to last season at Craven Cottage but was then loaned out to Championship side Burnley by boss Martin Jol to get some more first-team experience under his belt.

The Clarets were thought to be keen on signing Kacaniklic on a permanent deal, but the player ruled that out as he wanted to stay in the Premier League and fight for his place with the Londoners. Tottenham were then mooted to be monitoring the player with reports claiming they sent scouts to watch him play for Sweden last month. But Kacaniklic has now spoken out to claim that he wants to use his three successive appearances for his country against Macedonia, Austria and the Faroe Islands to help work his way into the Cottagers team.

"Next season I have ambitions of playing more football for Fulham, that's my goal," he told the official website. "I played a fair bit last season, but every player wants to play more don't they? I'm no different. "I think I've shown what I can do and, of course, there's a lot more to come from me. I'm a young player, so I'm still developing. But at the same time, I'm confident in my ability and know that I can play my part for the team."
He added: "I feel like a First Team player now, I have quite a bit of experience - including at international level too. I learned a lot during the 2012/13 campaign and will be looking to push on even further next season."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/starlet-eyes-cottage-spot-1604144.html?

WhiteJC

Goodbye Chris Baird and Good Luck

There were 6 first-team players confirmed to be leaving Fulham after the expiration of their contracts, but while I will miss Simon Davies, Mark Schwarzer and Giorgios Karagounis, there is one player who I will miss more than the other departures, and that is Chris Baird.

Although he has hardly played since his handball against Southampton in December, which was described at the time by Martin Jol as "stupid", Chris Baird was still one of my favourite Fulham players. He summed up how you could go from having the fans on your back to becoming a cult hero.

Whereas Bobby Zamora never got over the abuse he got from Fulham fans, 'Bairdinho' carried on working hard and got the fans onside. His redeployment in midfield was probably the reason behind this, and his passing range was undoubtedly one of the best in the club. With Karagounis leaving, and probably Diarra and Enoh on their way too, I would have liked to have seen Baird stay, if not as a starter but as a squad member.

I remember his first season under Lawrie Sanchez. He was a complete disaster at right-back, and it was a relief when Paul Stalteri replaced him under Roy Hodgson. I don't know which game it was exactly, but I can remember the fourth official's board coming up and number 34 coming on, and the crowd reacted by grumbling and booing. It seemed obvious that Chris Baird was not good enough for the Premier League.

However, he proved the fans wrong. In the legendary 4-1 win against Juventus in the Europa League, he may not have got the plaudits like Zamora or Dempsey, but he was quietly effective in midfield, which perfectly summed up Baird at Fulham after the first season. In his 127 league appearances for Fulham, he was not necessarily the best player on the pitch, but he played well, gave his all, and was by no means the worst player on the pitch.

His two goals against Stoke were my highlight of the 2010-11 season under Mark Hughes, and his two goals in October 2012 showed that he was a real goal threat from corners, or at least until people noticed his near-post runs.

Goodbye Chris Baird, in a time when players often seem like overpaid prima donnas, you seemed like an honest, hard-working pro, and you will be missed at Fulham.

Read more: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/fulham/news/02-07-2013/goodbye-chris-baird-and-good-luck/836297?#ixzz2Xts8G5N8

jmh

Quote from: WhiteJC on July 02, 2013, 03:50:10 PM

5 Midfield Destroyers To Bring Steel To Fulham's Lilywhite Midfield

Having seen Tottenham Hotspur pinch Mousa Dembele from them mere days before the end of the transfer window last August, Fulham's inability to replace the Belgian in their central midfield was somewhat understandable.

However they struggled throughout the season to dominate the middle of the park, and there is every they will seeking to add some steel to their midfield over coming months.

Finding the right man will be vital in their attempts to improve their 12th place finish last season, and there are several players who Fulham should target this summer.

Josua Guilavogui – St. Etienne

Scott Parker – Tottenham Hotspur

Etienne Capoue – Toulouse

Victor Wanyama – Celtic

Radja Nainggolan – Cagliari

http://squawka.com/news/2013/07/02/5-midfield-destroyers-to-bring-steel-to-fulhams-lilywhite-midfield/2013070212214?
What?  Did this author see Sidwell kicking people all over the place?  The problem was lack of skill, not lack of "steel" (whatever that means).

bobby01

Quote from: WhiteJC on July 02, 2013, 03:54:39 PM

Goodbye Chris Baird and Good Luck

There were 6 first-team players confirmed to be leaving Fulham after the expiration of their contracts, but while I will miss Simon Davies, Mark Schwarzer and Giorgios Karagounis, there is one player who I will miss more than the other departures, and that is Chris Baird.

Although he has hardly played since his handball against Southampton in December, which was described at the time by Martin Jol as "stupid", Chris Baird was still one of my favourite Fulham players. He summed up how you could go from having the fans on your back to becoming a cult hero.

Whereas Bobby Zamora never got over the abuse he got from Fulham fans, 'Bairdinho' carried on working hard and got the fans onside. His redeployment in midfield was probably the reason behind this, and his passing range was undoubtedly one of the best in the club. With Karagounis leaving, and probably Diarra and Enoh on their way too, I would have liked to have seen Baird stay, if not as a starter but as a squad member.

I remember his first season under Lawrie Sanchez. He was a complete disaster at right-back, and it was a relief when Paul Stalteri replaced him under Roy Hodgson. I don't know which game it was exactly, but I can remember the fourth official's board coming up and number 34 coming on, and the crowd reacted by grumbling and booing. It seemed obvious that Chris Baird was not good enough for the Premier League.

However, he proved the fans wrong. In the legendary 4-1 win against Juventus in the Europa League, he may not have got the plaudits like Zamora or Dempsey, but he was quietly effective in midfield, which perfectly summed up Baird at Fulham after the first season. In his 127 league appearances for Fulham, he was not necessarily the best player on the pitch, but he played well, gave his all, and was by no means the worst player on the pitch.

His two goals against Stoke were my highlight of the 2010-11 season under Mark Hughes, and his two goals in October 2012 showed that he was a real goal threat from corners, or at least until people noticed his near-post runs.

Goodbye Chris Baird, in a time when players often seem like overpaid prima donnas, you seemed like an honest, hard-working pro, and you will be missed at Fulham.

Read more: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/fulham/news/02-07-2013/goodbye-chris-baird-and-good-luck/836297?#ixzz2Xts8G5N8

Well said, after the dogs load of abuse he got in the Sanchez days, he kept his head up and came back stronger and for that i salute you Mr Baird good luck wherever you go.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.