more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (13/07/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 13, 2013, 07:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Dimitar Berbatov can still be a European star
Dimitar Berbatov's elegant playing style is still good enough for many of Europe's top sides

Berbatov is still one of the best around (©GettyImages)

In summer 2008 Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov signed for Manchester United in a deal which - at a hefty £30.75 million - remains the club transfer record for the Red Devils.

Since then his career has proved difficult to categorise - not quite a success, but by no means a failure.

In his final season with Tottenham, Berbatov scored 23 goals in 59 appearances, including a penalty in the League Cup final win over Chelsea.

This form sparked a three-way transfer battle between Manchester City, Manchester United and Real Madrid for the signature of the Bulgarian - with Man Utd sealing the deal on deadline day, September 1, 2008.

But while Berbatov picked up Premier League and Champions League medals in his first season with the Red Devils, he was criticised by some for a perceived 'lazy' style of play.

Sir Alex Ferguson, a famed exponent of hard work and discipline, never seemed to trust Berbatov, which became apparent when Berbatov was dropped midway through the 2010/11 season despite being the league's top scorer.

After losing way to Javier Hernandez, Berbatov never regained the position of first-choice striker, and was even omitted from the Champions League final squad.

Thus it came as no surprise that Berbatov left for greener pastures in summer 2012 - what was a surprise was the destination and cost.

Berbatov attracted the attention of Juventus and Fiorentina, even flying to Italy to try to seal a deal.

In the end though, he popped up in a very unlikely destination - Craven Cottage - home of Fulham. At nearly £5 million the Cottagers secured one of the bargains of the season, and were rewarded with 15 goals at a ratio of 0.45 goals a game.

Ordinarily this sort of return within a team that seemed to stop playing in February would be attracting wild rumours in the silly season, but there have been none.

In my opinion, Berbatov's great talent would see him fit in very well at an aspiring Champions League club, and would improve the attack of Tottenham, Liverpool, Everton, and numerous other top European clubs.

It is therefore strange that no club has made inquiries about the striker.

Perhaps it is the Bulgarian's perceived lack of effort or advancing age, or, more likely Berbatov's own mindset.

While he thrived in the relatively pressure-free environment of Tottenham, where he was the star of the team, he seemed to dislike the competitiveness of a Manchester Utd team containing the likes of Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Now at Fulham, Berbatov seems to be enjoying his football once more - because the expectations are lowered and the team is built around him.

It will be intriguing to see how he can perform next season, and I, for one, think that the Premier League would be a lot poorer without Berbatov's beguiling mix of elegant control and languid skill, achieved with the 'apparent effortlessness of gods'.

http://www.givemesport.com/359199-dimitar-berbatov-can-still-be-a-european-star?

WhiteJC

Derek Boateng elated with 'dream' Fulham move

The Ghana international believes English football will suit his game, and is looking forward to testing himself against the best the Premier League has to offer

New Fulham midfielder Derek Boateng has described his move to the Premier League as a "dream".

The 30-year-old has plied his trade in several leagues across Europe, including spells in Greece, Germany and Spain.

But the Ghana international, whose signing from Ukrainian side Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk was confirmed in May, said he is excited by the prospect of playing in England.

"Every footballer's dream is to play in the Barclays Premier League," he told Fulham's official website.

"There's some big players in the league. I've been in Spain and it's a good league, but I always wanted to come to the Premier League because of the language, the game and the type of player I am, so I'm so happy to come to a good family club like Fulham.

"It's a big relief for me to finally be here. Fulham were interested a few years ago and this is the third time they've come in for me.

"They showed me a lot of love and showed so much confidence in me. I called my family and told them 'it's over now'. I can have fun and play my football."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/07/12/4112613/-?

WhiteJC

Liverpool defender a target for London side

Liverpool defender Sebastian Coates has emerged as a transfer target for Fulham, according to the Daily Mail.

Struggled

The Uruguayan has struggled to make an impact in the Premier League since being brought to England by Kenny Dalglish in 2011.

The 22-year-old has only made 12 league appearances in his two years at Anfield and just 24 appearances in total, failing to break the partnership of Daniel Agger and the retired Jamie Carragher.

And it is suggested that the former Nacional defender is not in Brendan Rodgers' first team plans as the newspaper reports the signing of former Manchester City defender Kolo Toure as Carragher's replacement, is likely to push Coates towards the exit door.

Second chance

But the Uruguayan international is set to be offered a second chance in the top flight with Fulham interested in bringing the player to Craven Cottage, according to the newspaper.

The club, who are in the process of being sold by owner and chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed, expect a bid of around £5million will be enough to take the unwanted player off of Rodgers' hands.

The newspaper also reports that Martin Skrtel could follow Coates out of Merseyside with the Slovakian having expressed his unhappiness at his limited playing time last season.

Fulham have already completed the signings of goalkeeper Maarten Steklenburg, defender Fernando Amorebieta and midfielder Derek Boateng this summer.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/liverpool-flop-a-target-for-fulham/57210/?

WhiteJC

Mohamed Fayed completes sale of Fulham to Jacksonville Jaguars' billionaire owner Shahid Khan
Shahid Khan has been confirmed as Fulham's new benefactor after completing his takeover of the Premier League club.

Done deal: Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan has bought Fulham from Mohamed Al Fayed
Photo: JAGUARS

The owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars American Football franchise bought out Mohamed Fayed, ending the former Harrods boss's 16-year stint bankrolling the Cottagers.

Khan, a billionaire car-parts manufacturer who acquired the Jaguars in 2011, becomes the sixth American owner of a top-flight team.

The sale was said to have netted Fayed in the region of £150-£200 million, a similar figure to that he loaned Fulham since buying the club in 1997 after it had slumped into the fourth tier of English football.

Fayed said: "My time of serving as the custodian of Fulham Football Club would one day come to an end, and I feel that time has now arrived.

"The time is right because I have found a very good man in Shahid Khan to accept the responsibility and privilege that I have enjoyed at Fulham since 1997.

"Fulham will be in very good hands with Shahid, whose success in business and passion for sport is very evident."

Khan added: "Mr Al Fayed rescued the club in its hour of need and has led it to a sustained place within the Premier League.

"Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me. I want to be clear, I do not view myself so much as the owner of Fulham, but a custodian of the club on behalf of its fans.

"My priority is to ensure the club and Craven Cottage each have a viable and sustainable Premier League future that fans of present and future generations can be proud of."

With an estimated fortune of £1.7 billion, Khan is thought to be twice as wealthy as Fayed, who made Fulham a more attractive proposition to potential buyers in January by converting his loans into equity, virtually wiping out their debt.

Selling to Khan means almost a third of the Premier League's clubs being owned by Americans, with Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa and Sunderland already in US hands.

Khan's purchase of Fulham coincides with mounting speculation over whether the Jaguars will be relocated to London to become the NFL's first ex-patriot team, having already signed up to play one match at Wembley for the next four years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10177300/Mohamed-Fayed-completes-sale-of-Fulham-to-Jacksonville-Jaguars-billionaire-owner-Shahid-Khan.html

WhiteJC

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan completes Fulham takeover

NFL franchise owner Shahid Khan has completed a deal to buy Fulham, ending Mohamed Al Fayed's 16 years at the helm.

The Jacksonville Jaguars chief, a billionaire car parts manufacturer, was confirmed as the Cottagers' new owner on Friday evening after the Premier League approved the takeover.

Al Fayed, who is understood to have conducted extensive talks with Khan's camp amid much secrecy, is due to speak to the media at 1pm on Saturday.

A statement on Fulham's official website read: "Mohamed Al Fayed has sold Fulham Football Club to Shahid Khan, the CEO of Flex-N-Gate Group and owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League in the United States.

"The transaction has been approved by the Barclays Premier League. Khan assumes 100 per cent ownership of the club, debt-free, as of today."

The development stands to significantly boost Fulham's spending power, with Khan thought to be twice as wealthy as 84-year-old Al Fayed.

The Pakistan-born 62-year-old, who moved to America as a teenager, is ranked 179th in the Forbes 400 list of richest Americans with an estimated worth of £1.65 billion.

He already has ties to London, with the Jaguars scheduled to play one NFL regular season game a season at Wembley for the next four years.

"(Mohamed Al Fayed) is giving me the privilege and responsibility of serving as the next custodian of Fulham Football Club," Khan said.

"I am extremely honoured to accept and want to thank him, on behalf of everyone who loves Fulham, for 16 years of exceptional service to the club. Mr Al Fayed rescued the club in its hour of need and has led it to a sustained place within the Premier League.

"Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me. My priority is to ensure the club and Craven Cottage each have a viable and sustainable Premier League future that fans of present and future generations can be proud of."

Al Fayed, who converted previous loans into equity earlier this year, said: "My time of serving as the custodian of Fulham Football Club would one day come to an end, and I feel that time has now arrived.

"The time is right because I have found a very good man in Shahid Khan to accept the responsibility and privilege that I have enjoyed at Fulham since 1997. Fulham will be in very good hands."

Al Fayed transformed Fulham from a third-tier side to an established Premier League club during his tenure. Fulham reached the Europa League final three years ago and last season finished 12th in the league under the guidance of Martin Jol.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8821137/?

WhiteJC

American tycoon Khan completes takeover of Fulham and will be unveiled as new owner on Saturday

Mohamed Al Fayed has confirmed he has sold Fulham to American tycoon Shahid Khan, who already also owns the NFL side Jacksonville Jaguars.

The transaction has been approved by the Barclays Premier League. Khan assumes 100 per cent ownership of the club, debt-free. A formal announcement is scheduled to take place at 1pm on Saturday at Craven Cottage.

'My time of serving as the custodian of Fulham Football Club would one day come to an end, and I feel that time has now arrived,' Al Fayed said.

In talks: Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan is in talks to buy Fulham

"The time is right because I have found a very good man in Shahid Khan to accept the responsibility and privilege that I have enjoyed at Fulham since 1997.

'Fulham will be in very good hands with Shahid, whose success in business and passion for sport is very evident. I ask everyone who loves Fulham and our Craven Cottage home to welcome Shahid as he begins his journey as the next guardian of Fulham Football Club.'
Khan added:  "I was recently very fortunate to have been introduced to Mohamed Al Fayed, a man I respect and admire immensely for what he has accomplished in his life and - above all - what he has given others.

'Today, he is giving me the privilege and responsibility of serving as the next custodian of Fulham Football Club.  I am extremely honoured to accept and want to thank him, on behalf of everyone who loves Fulham, for 16 years of exceptional service to the Club. Al Fayed rescued the club in its hour of need and has led it to a sustained place within the Premier League.

'Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me. I want to be clear, I do not view myself so much as the owner of Fulham, but a custodian of the club on behalf of its fans. My priority is to ensure the club and Craven Cottage each have a viable and sustainable Premier League future that fans of present and future generations can be proud of. We will manage the club's financial and operational affairs with prudence and care, with youth development and community programs as fundamentally important elements of Fulham's future.'

End of the road: Mohamed Al Fayed is understood to be on the verge of selling Fulham

Sky's the limit: The businessman has lent Fulham about £200m interest free since buying the club in 1997

The Jaguars have a deal to play one home game in London for four consecutive seasons starting in October at Wembley Stadium against the San Francisco 49ers.

Khan becomes the sixth American owner of a Premier League team.

Sportsmail revealed on Wednesday that Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed is on the verge of selling the Barclays Premier League club after investing £200m over 16 years in establishing the team in the top flight.

And Khan, a Pakistan-born billionaire car parts manufacturer who bought the Jaguars in December 2011, has the deep pockets necessary for a deal to be done with 84-year-old Fayed.

Fayed was no longer prepared to put money into the club.

Khan has already shown his liking for London by signing a contract for the Jaguars, who do not sell out all their home games in Florida, to play one NFL match per season for the next four years at Wembley stadium.

Khan, 62, is the first non-American to own a NFL club and sees the global sports picture. He describes London as 'the missing piece' in the growth of his NFL team. Buying Fulham for a price in excess of £150m would allow him the opportunity to promote both his sports brands to maximum effect in London.

Al Fayed has conducted negotiations with great secrecy from his London office in Park Lane, with Fulham's club executive knowing little or nothing about the imminent change of ownership — even after Khan's interest was made public by Sportsmail on Wednesday.

The Jaguars boss has conducted parallel negotiations with Al Fayed's advisors and the Premier League to ensure the change of ownership can go through as quickly as possible.

Khan was ranked by Forbes last year among the world's richest 500 people with an estimated wealth of £1.7bn, putting him somewhere between Newcastle's Mike Ashley and Arsenal's Stan Kroenke in Premier League terms. His arrival is likely to provide Fulham with a lot more spending power.

Al Fayed has wanted his club to be self-sustaining for the past three seasons, meaning outlay on players has been minimal. Khan has just committed to spending £45m on improvements to the EverBank Field stadium in Jacksonville which will include the world's largest video screens, more than 300ft long, above each end zone.

The Jaguars committing one of their home games to Wembley for four years points to the Jacksonville club eventually becoming a London NFL franchise.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2362356/Shahid-Khan-completes-takeover-Fulham-unveiled-new-owner-Saturday.html#ixzz2Yu9bY354
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Shahid Khan... the prospective new Fulham owner who's as ruthless as he is rich

Shahid Khan's first attempt to break into sport was thwarted by Stan Kroenke, but he has not been deterred and he certainly eclipses Arsenal's American owner when it comes to charisma and facial hair.

Khan's plans to buy St Louis Rams were dashed by Kroenke in 2010 but he satisfied the urge to own an NFL gridiron team when he bought the Jacksonville Jaguars for around £500million nearly two years later.

It was a swift and clean takeover, which bodes well for his effort to track Kroenke across the Atlantic to London and the Barclays Premier League with an attempt to buy Fulham from Mohamed Al Fayed.

Charismatic: Shahid Khan could be a suitable successor to Mohamed Al Fayed

If he succeeds, English football can welcome a colourful billionaire. He was born in Lahore in Pakistan and educated in the USA and made his fortune in car parts before the man known as 'Shad' and his handlebar moustache stormed into sport to complete the 'American Dream' storyline.

When buying the Jaguars he made a verbal commitment to fans to keep the team in Florida, but was not afraid to act when his first year at the helm produced only two wins from 16 games. Khan dismissed both the general manager and head coach. Beware manager Martin Jol and chief executive Alistair Mackintosh.

His son Tony has since joined the operations team, responsible for a data-led team-building process although at pains to stress it is not a 'Moneyball' system.

Under threat? Martin Jol's and Alistair Mackintosh's positions could become uncertain

Despite poor displays on the pitch, Khan has proved a popular owner fully aware he is the face of one of the sport's weaker franchises.

He is determined to lead an unashamed brand expansion which includes stadium improvements and a deal to play games in London at Wembley.

'We want to be part of the fabric of sport in London,' said Khan, keen to tap into the English connection to the Sunshine State. 'The English love an underdog and we will definitely be playing that role.'

Fulham, too, may find it has a part in this plan.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2359775/Shahid-Khan--Fulhams-potential-new-owner-background.html#ixzz2YuAAlsnv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

England Premier League club Fulham bought by owner of NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars

LONDON — Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan bought the English soccer club Fulham on Friday, becoming the sixth American owner among the 20 teams currently in the Premier League.

The deal between previous owner Mohamed Al Fayed and Khan for the sale of the London club was completed on Friday and approved by the Premier League. Financial details were not disclosed.

"Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me," Khan said in a statement sent to The Associated Press. "I want to be clear, I do not view myself so much as the owner of Fulham, but a custodian of the club on behalf of its fans. My priority is to ensure the club and Craven Cottage each have a viable and sustainable Premier League future that fans of present and future generations can be proud of.

"We will manage the club's financial and operational affairs with prudence and care, with youth development and community programs as fundamentally important elements of Fulham's future."

Al Fayed, an Egyptian businessman, has owned Fulham since 1997 and is leaving the club debt-free as it prepares for a 13th Premier League season.

"He is giving me the privilege and responsibility of serving as the next custodian of Fulham Football club," Khan said. "I am extremely honored to accept and want to thank him, on behalf of everyone who loves Fulham, for 16 years of exceptional service to the Club. Mr. Al Fayed rescued the club in its hour of need and has led it to a sustained place within the Premier League."

Manchester United (Glazer family), Arsenal (Stan Kroenke), Liverpool (John Henry), Aston Villa (Randy Lerner) and Sunderland (Ellis Short) also are controlled by American owners.

NBC's networks will televise matches from August under a $250 million, three-year deal.

Fulham plays at Craven Cottage, a 25,700-seat stadium on the banks of the River Thames in west London. The venue has been the club's home for most years since 1896, and the team was given approval last year to redevelop its Riverside stand and increase capacity to 30,000.

The Cottagers, who finished 12th last season, have never won a major trophy but reached the final of both the FA Cup in 1975 and the Europa League in 2010 under current England coach Roy Hodgson. Fulham has had a string of American players in recent seasons, including Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride, Carlos Bocanegra, Kasey Keller and Eddie Johnson, and a hospitality area at the stadium is named after McBride.

The sale comes with Khan's Jaguars preparing to play NFL regular-season games in London.

The Jaguars have a deal to play one home game in London for four consecutive seasons starting in October at Wembley Stadium against the San Francisco 49ers.

Khan, who owns Flex-N-Gate Corporation, a leading American automotive supplier, moved to the U.S from his native Pakistan as a 16-year-old in 1967. Forbes magazine estimates Khan is worth $2.9 billion.

"By his hard work, vision and determination, Shahid Khan has become a living embodiment of the American success story," Al Fayed said. "His achievements speak for themselves. I met him twice prior to our successful transaction this week and have been very favorably impressed."

The 84-year-old Al Fayed, the former owner of Harrods department store, said he is retiring to spend time playing soccer with his grandchildren.

Al Fayed has been largely adored by fans for investing money into the club, but one of his contentious decisions was to place a statue of the late pop star Michael Jackson outside the stadium in 2011. Al Fayed wanted to commemorate his friendship with the "King of Pop," who died in 2009.

Al Fayed's son Dodi died in a 1997 car crash in Paris along with Princess Diana

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dcunited/england-premier-league-club-fulham-bought-by-owner-of-nfls-jacksonville-jaguars/2013/07/12/fd802d32-eb34-11e2-818e-aa29e855f3ab_story.html?

WhiteJC

England's Fulham bought by owner of NFL's Jaguars

LONDON—Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan bought the English soccer club Fulham on Friday, becoming the sixth American owner among the 20 teams currently in the Premier League.

The deal between previous owner Mohamed Al Fayed and Khan for the sale of the London club was completed on Friday and approved by the Premier League. Financial details were not disclosed.

"Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me," Khan said in a statement sent to The Associated Press. "I want to be clear, I do not view myself so much as the owner of Fulham, but a custodian of the club on behalf of its fans. My priority is to ensure the club and Craven Cottage each have a viable and sustainable Premier League future that fans of present and future generations can be proud of.
"We will manage the club's financial and operational affairs with prudence and care, with youth development and community programs as fundamentally important elements of Fulham's future."

Al Fayed, an Egyptian businessman, has owned Fulham since 1997 and is leaving the club debt-free as it prepares for a 13th Premier League season.

"He is giving me the privilege and responsibility of serving as the next custodian of Fulham Football club," Khan said. "I am extremely honored to accept and want to thank him, on behalf of everyone who loves Fulham, for 16 years of exceptional service to the Club. Mr. Al Fayed rescued the club in its hour of need and has led it to a sustained place within the Premier League."

Manchester United (Glazer family), Arsenal (Stan Kroenke), Liverpool (John Henry), Aston Villa (Randy Lerner) and Sunderland (Ellis Short) also are controlled by American owners.

NBC's networks will televise matches from August under a $250 million, three-year deal.

Fulham plays at Craven Cottage, a 25,700-seat stadium on the banks of the River Thames in west London. The venue has been the club's home for most years since 1896, and the team was given approval last year to redevelop its Riverside stand and increase capacity to 30,000.

The Cottagers, who finished 12th last season, have never won a major trophy but reached the final of both the FA Cup in 1975 and the Europa League in 2010 under current England coach Roy Hodgson. Fulham has had a string of American players in recent seasons, including Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride, Carlos Bocanegra, Kasey Keller and Eddie Johnson, and a hospitality area at the stadium is named after McBride.

The sale comes with Khan's Jaguars preparing to play NFL regular-season games in London.

Khan, who owns Flex-N-Gate Corporation, a leading American automotive supplier, moved to the U.S from his native Pakistan as a 16-year-old in 1967. Forbes magazine estimates Khan is worth $2.9 billion.

"By his hard work, vision and determination, Shahid Khan has become a living embodiment of the American success story," Al Fayed said. "His achievements speak for themselves. I met him twice prior to our successful transaction this week and have been very favorably impressed."

The 84-year-old Al Fayed, the former owner of Harrods department store, said he is retiring to spend time playing soccer with his grandchildren.

Al Fayed has been largely adored by fans for investing money into the club, but one of his contentious decisions was to place a statue of the late pop star Michael Jackson outside the stadium in 2011. Al Fayed wanted to commemorate his friendship with the "King of Pop," who died in 2009.

Al Fayed's son Dodi died in a 1997 car crash in Paris along with Princess Diana

Read more: England's Fulham bought by owner of NFL's Jaguars - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/rapids/ci_23650056/englands-fulham-bought-by-owner-nfls-jaguars?#ixzz2YuBB1K00
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

WhiteJC

Al Fayed sells Fulham

The 84-year-old former Harrods owner has transformed the west Londoners from a third-tier outfit to an established Premier League side since taking over in 1997.

Sustained reports this week suggested Al Fayed would now sell the club and the Cottagers have tonight confirmed a deal has been struck with Khan, billionaire owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"My time of serving as the custodian of Fulham Football Club would one day come to an end, and I feel that time has now arrived," Al Fayed said in a statement.

"Fulham will be in very good hands with Shahid, whose success in business and passion for sport is very evident.

"I ask everyone who loves Fulham and our Craven Cottage home to welcome Shahid as he begins his journey as the next guardian of Fulham Football Club."

Khan is worth £1.9billion, according to Forbes, making him the 490th richest man in the world.

Born in Pakistan, the 62-year-old moved to the United States aged 16 for college and secured an engineering degree from the University of Illinois.

Khan went onto create an auto parts empire and such riches allowed him to buy NFL franchise Jacksonville Jaguars, who will play one regular season game a season at Wembley for the next four years.

He said: "I was recently very fortunate to have been introduced to Mohamed Al Fayed, a man I respect and admire immensely for what he has accomplished in his life and - above all - what he has given others.

"Today, he is giving me the privilege and responsibility of serving as the next custodian of Fulham Football Club.

"I am extremely honoured to accept and want to thank him, on behalf of everyone who loves Fulham, for 16 years of exceptional service to the club.

"Mr Al Fayed rescued the club in its hour of need and has led it to a sustained place within the Premier League.

"Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me.

"I want to be clear, I do not view myself so much as the owner of Fulham, but a custodian of the club on behalf of its fans.

"My priority is to ensure the club and Craven Cottage each have a viable and sustainable Premier League future that fans of present and future generations can be proud of.

"We will manage the club's financial and operational affairs with prudence and care, with youth development and community programmes as fundamentally important elements of Fulham's future."

Khan has big boots to fill, with Al Fayed leaving an extremely popular figure after transforming the club on and off the field.

Fulham reached the Europa League final three years ago and last season finished 12th in the league under the guidance of Martin Jol.

Off the field, the club is effectively debt-free after Al Fayed converted previous loans into equity earlier this year.

Training facilities have improved markedly and Craven Cottage has been revamped, with planning permission in place to redevelop the Riverside Stand and increase the stadium's capacity to 30,000.

Such is his popularity that more than 1,000 Fulham fans have already signed a petition to rename the Riverside Stand the Mohamed Al Fayed Stand.

Al Fayed: "Now is the right time for me to retire and spend time playing football with my grandchildren.

"I am sad but proud of our achievements. I am very grateful to Fulham's fans, the most incredible fans in the world.

"They have given me their support and affection whenever they have seen me at home games.

"I would never let them down. I have passed the club to a talented, honest and highly capable man who respects Fulham and its traditions. He is a great sportsman."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/324/8821194/-?

WhiteJC

Welcome To Shahid Khan

Mohamed Al Fayed has sold Fulham Football Club to Shahid Khan, the CEO of Flex-N-Gate Group and owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League in the United States.

The transaction has been approved by the Barclays Premier League.  Khan assumes 100 per cent ownership of the club, debt-free, as of today.  A formal announcement is scheduled at Craven Cottage on Saturday at 1 p.m. London time.

"My time of serving as the custodian of Fulham Football Club would one day come to an end, and I feel that time has now arrived," Al Fayed said.  "The time is right because I have found a very good man in Shahid Khan to accept the responsibility and privilege that I have enjoyed at Fulham since 1997.  Fulham will be in very good hands with Shahid, whose success in business and passion for sport is very evident.  I ask everyone who loves Fulham and our Craven Cottage home to welcome Shahid as he begins his journey as the next guardian of Fulham Football Club."

Khan added:  "I was recently very fortunate to have been introduced to Mohamed Al Fayed, a man I respect and admire immensely for what he has accomplished in his life and – above all – what he has given others.  Today, he is giving me the privilege and responsibility of serving as the next custodian of Fulham Football Club.  I am extremely honoured to accept and want to thank him, on behalf of everyone who loves Fulham, for 16 years of exceptional service to the Club.  Mr Al Fayed rescued the club in its hour of need and has led it to a sustained place within the Premier League.

"Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me.  I want to be clear, I do not view myself so much as the owner of Fulham, but a custodian of the club on behalf of its fans.  My priority is to ensure the club and Craven Cottage each have a viable and sustainable Premier League future that fans of present and future generations can be proud of. We will manage the club's financial and operational affairs with prudence and care, with youth development and community programs as fundamentally important elements of Fulham's future."

Khan is president and owner of Flex-N-Gate Corporation, the 14th-largest North American automotive supplier.  Flex-N-Gate's products include interior and exterior plastics, lighting systems, mechanical assemblies, metal structural body components, and exterior metal parts.

In December 2011, Khan's agreement to purchase the Jacksonville Jaguars was unanimously approved by the NFL, making him the first minority team owner in league history.  Khan's personable approach, enthusiasm and bold vision for the Jaguars have since made him a popular figure in Jacksonville and throughout the NFL.

In 1967, at the age of 16, Khan left his native Pakistan for the United States and opportunity to study engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  He began working for Flex-N-Gate in 1970, while still an engineering student.

Following his graduation from the University of Illinois in 1971 with a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering, Khan continued to work at Flex-N-Gate until 1978, when he left the company to start a new venture in designing and manufacturing innovative lightweight, continuous metal bumper systems, with no seams to corrode or rust.  Today, nearly two-thirds of all North American pick-up trucks and sport utilities have bumper systems based on Khan's designs and are manufactured and supplied by a Flex-N-Gate company.

Khan returned to purchase Flex-N-Gate in 1980, building it into a global leader that today employs more than 16,000 people at 52 manufacturing and nine product development and engineering facilities throughout Canada, the United States, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil and Spain.

A full statement from Mohamed Al Fayed follows:

"It has been a pleasure and privilege to be the Chairman of Fulham Football Club for 16 memorable years. I am now delighted to be passing this great and historic Club into the care and stewardship of an outstanding man who has already achieved much in his life and will, I am sure, take Fulham on to even greater things.

By his hard work, vision and determination, Shahid Khan has become a living embodiment of the American success story. His achievements speak for themselves. I met him twice prior to our successful transaction this week and have been very favourably impressed.

I pay tribute to the way in which he has already, while still young, made his mark in the world. For my part, I am glad to be placing my precious Club into such good hands. I have loved every minute of my 16 years at the helm of the London club that was established in 1879, before all the other great clubs in the Capital.

We have had some great times, down by the Thames. There have been notable successes, as champions of League One and winners of the Championship.

We have had some memorable times in Europe. Fulham vs Juventus was probably the greatest game ever seen at Craven Cottage and the sight of the Fulham faithful filling their end of the Elbe Arena in Hamburg, at the UEFA Europa League final will be with me forever.

But now is the right time for me to retire and spend time playing football with my grandchildren. I am sad but proud of our achievements. I am very grateful to Fulham's fans, the most incredible fans in the world. They have given me their support and affection whenever they have seen me at home games. I would never let them down. I have passed the Club to a talented, honest and highly capable man who respects Fulham and its traditions. He is a great sportsman.

Fulham is now embarking upon its 13th season in the Premier League. I bid farewell comforted by the knowledge that Fulham is a very well-run Club that has never been in better shape.

I shall look to Shahid Khan to build on the success of the 16 seasons and to deliver the greater glory that the fans desire and deserve. I look forward to seeing you down at the Cottage where I shall return, on occasion, to cheer on the team.

Now a new era dawns.

Come on you Whites!"

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/12/welcome-to-shahid-khan?

WhiteJC

Fulham FC sold

A spokesman for the owner of the NFL team Jacksonville Jaguars, Shad Khan, has told the Associated Press that he has bought Premier League side Fulham from Mohamed Al Fayed.

Khan paid £600m for the Jacksonville franchise, so the £150m reported asking price for Fulham is small beer by comparison. The Pakistani businessman made his money selling car parts. He is reportedly worth £1.7 to £2 billion which should provide a good war chest for Fulham.

Al Fayed has courted would-be suitors for the Whites twice over the last 10 years but two attempts foundered with no-one willing to shoulder the £150-million debt incurred during the last 16 years.

Khan said, 'Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me. I want to be clear, I do not view myself so much as the owner of Fulham, but a custodian of the club on behalf of its fans. My priority is to ensure the club and Craven Cottage each have a viable and sustainable Premier League future that fans of present and future generations can be proud of. We will manage the club's financial and operational affairs with prudence and care, with youth development and community programs as fundamentally important elements of Fulham's future.'

This takeover means that six of the 20 Premier League clubs are American owned.

http://www.footballeconomy.com/content/fulham-fc-sold?

WhiteJC

Mohamed Al Fayed Sells Fulham Football Club to Shahid Khan

Jaguars Owner Shahid Khan buys Fulham Football Club.

LONDON – Mohamed Al Fayed has sold Fulham Football Club to Shahid Khan, the CEO of Flex-N-Gate Group and owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League in the United States.

The transaction has been approved by the Barclays Premier League.  Khan assumes 100 per cent ownership of the club, debt-free, as of today.  A formal announcement is scheduled at Craven Cottage on Saturday at 1 p.m. London time.

"My time of serving as the custodian of Fulham Football Club would one day come to an end, and I feel that time has now arrived," Al Fayed said.  "The time is right because I have found a very good man in Shahid Khan to accept the responsibility and privilege that I have enjoyed at Fulham since 1997.  Fulham will be in very good hands with Shahid, whose success in business and passion for sport is very evident.  I ask everyone who loves Fulham and our Craven Cottage home to welcome Shahid as he begins his journey as the next guardian of Fulham Football Club."

Khan added:  "I was recently very fortunate to have been introduced to Mohamed Al Fayed, a man I respect and admire immensely for what he has accomplished in his life and – above all – what he has given others.  Today, he is giving me the privilege and responsibility of serving as the next custodian of Fulham Football Club.  I am extremely honoured to accept and want to thank him, on behalf of everyone who loves Fulham, for 16 years of exceptional service to the Club.  Mr Al Fayed rescued the club in its hour of need and has led it to a sustained place within the Premier League.

"Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me.  I want to be clear, I do not view myself so much as the owner of Fulham, but a custodian of the club on behalf of its fans.  My priority is to ensure the club and Craven Cottage each have a viable and sustainable Premier League future that fans of present and future generations can be proud of. We will manage the club's financial and operational affairs with prudence and care, with youth development and community programs as fundamentally important elements of Fulham's future."

Khan is president and owner of Flex-N-Gate Corporation, the 14th-largest North American automotive supplier.  Flex-N-Gate's products include interior and exterior plastics, lighting systems, mechanical assemblies, metal structural body components, and exterior metal parts.

In December 2011, Khan's agreement to purchase the Jacksonville Jaguars was unanimously approved by the NFL, making him the first minority team owner in league history.  Khan's personable approach, enthusiasm and bold vision for the Jaguars have since made him a popular figure in Jacksonville and throughout the NFL.

In 1967, at the age of 16, Khan left his native Pakistan for the United States and opportunity to study engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  He began working for Flex-N-Gate in 1970, while still an engineering student.

Following his graduation from the University of Illinois in 1971 with a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering, Khan continued to work at Flex-N-Gate until 1978, when he left the company to start a new venture in designing and manufacturing innovative lightweight, continuous metal bumper systems, with no seams to corrode or rust.  Today, nearly two-thirds of all North American pick-up trucks and sport utilities have bumper systems based on Khan's designs and are manufactured and supplied by a Flex-N-Gate company.

Khan returned to purchase Flex-N-Gate in 1980, building it into a global leader that today employs more than 16,000 people at 52 manufacturing and nine product development and engineering facilities throughout Canada, the United States, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil and Spain.

A full statement from Mohamed Al Fayed follows:

"It has been a pleasure and privilege to be the Chairman of Fulham Football Club for 16 memorable years. I am now delighted to be passing this great and historic Club into the care and stewardship of an outstanding man who has already achieved much in his life and will, I am sure, take Fulham on to even greater things.

By his hard work, vision and determination, Shahid Khan has become a living embodiment of the American success story. His achievements speak for themselves. I met him twice prior to our successful transaction this week and have been very favourably impressed.

I pay tribute to the way in which he has already, while still young, made his mark in the world. For my part, I am glad to be placing my precious Club into such good hands. I have loved every minute of my 16 years at the helm of the London club that was established in 1879, before all the other great clubs in the Capital.

We have had some great times, down by the Thames. There have been notable successes, as champions of League One and winners of the Championship.

We have had some memorable times in Europe. Fulham vs Juventus was probably the greatest game ever seen at Craven Cottage and the sight of the Fulham faithful filling their end of the Elbe Arena in Hamburg, at the UEFA Europa League final will be with me forever.

But now is the right time for me to retire and spend time playing football with my grandchildren. I am sad but proud of our achievements. I am very grateful to Fulham's fans, the most incredible fans in the world. They have given me their support and affection whenever they have seen me at home games. I would never let them down. I have passed the Club to a talented, honest and highly capable man who respects Fulham and its traditions. He is a great sportsman.

Fulham is now embarking upon its 13th season in the Premier League. I bid farewell comforted by the knowledge that Fulham is a very well-run Club that has never been in better shape.

I shall look to Shahid Khan to build on the success of the 16 seasons and to deliver the greater glory that the fans desire and deserve. I look forward to seeing you down at the Cottage where I shall return, on occasion, to cheer on the team.

Now a new era dawns."

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-PressRelease/Mohamed-Al-Fayed-Sells-Fulham-Football-Club-to-Shahid-Khan/77098769-ca02-43fc-942c-c91275ee80fb?

WhiteJC

Fulham agree sale to the Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan
• Mohamed Al Fayed sells club after 16 years
• Deal with US tycoon worth around £200m

Mohamed Al Fayed has brought his colourful 16-year association with Fulham to an end after sanctioning the sale of the Premier League club to the United States-based billionaire Shahid Khan.

The deal was formally announced on Friday night and Fayed will give a photo call at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon, with the deal, which has been sanctioned by the Premier League, understood to be worth up to £200m. That would effectively match the amount loaned to the London club by the Egyptian businessman since he bought them as a third-tier side in 1997.

Khan is the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars American Football franchise, which he purchased in 2011, having made his estimated £1.7bn fortune in the manufacture of car parts. The 62-year-old, who will become the sixth American owner of a Premier League club, has been actively seeking to promote the Jaguars in the UK, with their potential relocation to London having even been mooted in the US.

The NFL side have already signed a deal to play four of their "home" games at Wembley over the next four years – starting with a match against the San Francisco 49ers in October – with Khan having described London as the "missing piece" for a club who do not sell out all their home games at their base in north Florida. While the purchase of Fulham is not overtly connected to that ambition, it would allow Khan to promote both brands in tandem on either side of the Atlantic.

"My time of serving as the custodian of Fulham Football Club would one day come to an end, and I feel that time has now arrived," Fayed said. "The time is right because I have found a very good man in Shahid Khan to accept the responsibility and privilege that I have enjoyed at Fulham since 1997. Fulham will be in very good hands with Shahid, whose success in business and passion for sport is very evident. I ask everyone who loves Fulham and our Craven Cottage home to welcome Shahid as he begins his journey as the next guardian of Fulham Football Club."

Khan said in a statement: "I was recently very fortunate to have been introduced to Mohamed Al Fayed, a man I respect and admire immensely for what he has accomplished in his life and – above all – what he has given others. Today he is giving me the privilege and responsibility of serving as the next custodian of Fulham Football Club. I am extremely honoured to accept and want to thank him, on behalf of everyone who loves Fulham, for 16 years of exceptional service to the club. Mr Al Fayed rescued the club in its hour of need and has led it to a sustained place within the Premier League.

"Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me. I want to be clear, I do not view myself so much as the owner of Fulham but a custodian of the club on behalf of its fans. My priority is to ensure the club and Craven Cottage each have a viable and sustainable Premier League future that fans of present and future generations can be proud of. We will manage the club's financial and operational affairs with prudence and care, with youth development and community programmes as fundamentally important elements of Fulham's future."

Negotiations over the purchase of Fulham have taken place over recent months, with buyers undoubtedly attracted by Al Fayed's decision to convert his loans into equity in January, effectively rendering the club debt-free. It is believed the deal was smoothed by the football financier Keith Harris, who has previously been significant in the sale of numerous top-flight clubs, including Aston Villa to Randy Lerner and Manchester City to Thaksin Shinawatra.

Khan, who was born in Pakistan before moving to the US at the age of 16, was ranked by Forbes in the world's richest 500 people last year and could potentially offer Fulham significantly more clout in the transfer market in the short-term. Al Fayed sold Harrods to Qatar Holdings for £1.5bn three years ago and, at 84, has been reining in his spending on his various assets.

He had hoped Fulham, a £6.25m purchase, might be self-sustaining over the past three seasons despite continuing to invest in the development of the stadium, with his outlay on players in that time minimal. Two of the manager Martin Jol's signings to date this summer – Derek Boateng and Fernando Amorebieta – had arrived under the Bosman ruling with the only fee paid to Roma for Maarten Stekelenburg, though Khan is likely to seek to deliver a statement of intent between now and the transfer deadline on 2 September.

Fayed's ownership will be considered glowingly by the vast majority of Fulham's supporters, the club having risen from the third tier to the Premier League to enjoy arguably the most consistently successful period in their history. They reached the Europa League final in 2010 under Roy Hodgson, and are established in an ultra-competitive top-flight. The forthcoming campaign will be their 13th in succession in the division.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/12/fulham-takeover-shahid-khan-jacksonville?

WhiteJC

End of an era as Al Fayed sells Fulham

Fulham have confirmed that Mohamed Al Fayed has sold the club to Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan.

The Pakistan-born billionaire's takeover marks the end of an era for Fulham, who have been transformed from a struggling club in the bottom division to an established Premier League outfit during Al Fayed's 16 years at the helm.

"It has been a pleasure and privilege to be chairman of Fulham Football Club for 16 memorable years," said the 85-year-old.

"Fulham will be in very good hands with Shahid, whose success in business and passion for sport is very evident.

"I ask everyone who loves Fulham and our Craven Cottage home to welcome Shahid as he begins his journey as the next guardian of Fulham Football Club."

The 62-year-old Khan, who moved to the United States aged 16, made his fortune selling car parts and has owned NFL side Jacksonville Jaguars since 2011.

He said: "Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me.

"I want to be clear, I do not view myself so much as the owner of Fulham, but a custodian of the club on behalf of its fans.

"My priority is to ensure the club and Craven Cottage each have a viable and sustainable Premier League future that fans of present and future generations can be proud of.

"We will manage the club's financial and operational affairs with prudence and care, with youth development and community programmes as fundamentally important elements of Fulham's future."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/end-of-an-era-as-al-fayed-sells-fulham?

WhiteJC

Mohamed al-Fayed agrees sale of Fulham to Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shalid Khan

Mohamed al-Fayed's 16-year association with Fulham come to an end tonight after the Egyptian agreed a deal for the sale of the club to Shahid Khan.

The 84-year-old former Harrods owner has transformed the west Londoners from a third-tier outfit to an established Premier League side since taking over in 1997.

Sustained reports this week suggested Fayed would now sell the club and the Cottagers have tonight confirmed a deal has been struck with Khan, billionaire owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"My time of serving as the custodian of Fulham Football Club would one day come to an end, and I feel that time has now arrived," Fayed said in a statement.

Khan is worth £1.9billion, according to Forbes, making him the 490th richest man in the world.

Born in Pakistan, the 62-year-old moved to the United States aged 16 for college and secured an engineering degree from the University of Illinois.

Khan went onto create an auto parts empire and such riches allowed him to buy NFL franchise Jacksonville Jaguars, who will play one regular season game a season at Wembley for the next four years.

He said: "I was recently very fortunate to have been introduced to Mohamed al-Fayed, a man I respect and admire immensely for what he has accomplished in his life and - above all - what he has given others.

"Today, he is giving me the privilege and responsibility of serving as the next custodian of Fulham Football Club.

"I am extremely honoured to accept and want to thank him, on behalf of everyone who loves Fulham, for 16 years of exceptional service to the club.

"Mr al-Fayed rescued the club in its hour of need and has led it to a sustained place within the Premier League.

"Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me.

Khan has big boots to fill, with Fayed leaving an extremely popular figure after transforming the club on and off the field.

Fulham reached the Europa League final three years ago and last season finished 12th in the league under the guidance of Martin Jol.

Off the field, the club is effectively debt-free after Fayed converted previous loans into equity earlier this year.

Training facilities have improved markedly and Craven Cottage has been revamped, with planning permission in place to redevelop the Riverside Stand and increase the stadium's capacity to 30,000.

Such is his popularity that more than 1,000 Fulham fans have already signed a petition to rename the Riverside Stand the Mohamed al-Fayed Stand.

Fayed: "Now is the right time for me to retire and spend time playing football with my grandchildren.

"I am sad but proud of our achievements. I am very grateful to Fulham's fans, the most incredible fans in the world.

"They have given me their support and affection whenever they have seen me at home games.

"I would never let them down. I have passed the club to a talented, honest and highly capable man who respects Fulham and its traditions. He is a great sportsman."

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/mohamed-alfayed-agrees-sale-of-fulham-to-jacksonville-jaguars-owner-shalid-khan-8706689.html

WhiteJC

UPDATE 2-Soccer-Al Fayed urges Fulham fans to get behind new owner

* Khan takeover represents a "new era"

* Jaguars owner now in charge at Fulham (Writes through, adds byline, details)

By Toby Davis

LONDON, July 12 (Reuters) - Mohamed Al Fayed, the man behind Fulham's modern rebirth, has asked the fans to get behind new owner Shahid Khan while describing Friday's takeover as a "new era" for the club.

Al Fayed sought to soothe the nerves of supporters as the Londoners took a step into the unknown after 16 years of improvement and stability under the watchful eye of the Egyptian businessman.

Khan, owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars NFL franchise, assumed "100 percent ownership of the club, debt-free, as of today", the Premier League team said on their website (www.fulhamfc.com).

Al Fayed, who lifted Fulham from the third tier to the top flight, attracted a string of high-profile managers and steered the club into their maiden European final, stressed there would be continuity in the boardroom.

"My time of serving as the custodian of Fulham Football Club would one day come to an end and I feel that time has now arrived," he said.

"The time is right because I have found a very good man in Shahid Khan to accept the responsibility and privilege I have enjoyed since 1997. Fulham will be in very good hands with Shahid whose success in business and passion for sport is very evident."

The sentiment was echoed by Khan, keen to impress upon fans the principles that had underpinned Al Fayed's time in charge would be maintained.

"Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me," Khan said. "I want to be clear, I do not view myself so much as the owner of Fulham but a custodian of the club on behalf of its fans.

"My priority is to ensure the club and Craven Cottage each have a viable and sustainable Premier League future that fans of present and future generations can be proud of."

KEEGAN DAYS

Fulham fans have seen their club transformed since Al Fayed's takeover in 1997, from lower league strugglers to stable Premier League competitors who have forged traditions of playing open, attacking football.

When the Egyptian completed a six million pounds ($9.07 million) takeover at Craven Cottage in 1997, he promised the supporters they would be playing in the top flight within five years.

They made it in four. With former England captain Kevin Keegan at the managerial helm, the club gained their first promotion under Al Fayed and then former France international Jean Tigana led them to the promised land of the Premier League in 2001.

Managers came and went but Fulham stayed up, despite a few close shaves with relegation, and with the arrival of boss Roy Hodgson in 2007 they enjoyed a purple patch in their history.

During his three years in charge the current England coach took the club to the Europa League final in 2010 where they were unlucky to lose 2-1 in extra-time to Atletico Madrid.

Al Fayed's time in charge was not without the occasional odd moment.

He told fans they could "go to hell" if they did not like a statue of pop singer Michael Jackson that had been erected at the stadium but the wildly unpredictable owner was still a safe pair of hands when it came to the club.

The 62-year-old Khan is a billionaire car-parts manufacturer who was born in Pakistan but moved to the United States at 16.

His credentials in sport are founded on his stewardship of the Jaguars where he took control in 2011.

The Fulham website says "his personable approach, enthusiasm and bold vision for the Jaguars have since made him a popular figure in Jacksonville and throughout the NFL".

Last year the Jaguars signed a deal to play four games at Wembley Stadium over the next four years but they have struggled to fill their 67,000-seater home venue at times and are one of the NFL's weaker franchises.

Al Fayed told the supporters Khan would take the club to even better things.

"I am sad but proud of our achievements," said the outgoing owner. "I am very grateful to Fulham's fans, the most incredible fans in the world.

"They have given me their support and affection. I would never let them down. Now a new era dawns. Come on you Whites."

($1 = 0.6615 British pounds) (Editing by Tony Jimenez)

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/07/12/soccer-england-fulham-idINL4N0FI3Z220130712?rpc=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews&rpc=401

WhiteJC

Shahid Khan snaps up £150m Fulham

SHAHID KHAN last night became the new Fulham owner as he completed a £150million takeover of the Premier League club.

The Pakistan-born car tycoon may even be unveiled at Craven Cottage later today when the deal is rubber-stamped.

The quickfire sale brings to an end Mohamed Al Fayed's successful 16-year stint as Fulham owner, during which time the club climbed from Division Two to become an established Premier League side.

Khan, 62, owns NFL franchise Jacksonville Jaguars and is believed to be coming to England with the aim of making Fulham a top-six club.

Sources close to Khan insist that Cottagers manager Martin Jol will be given time to prove himself to the new owner. Khan, who made his fortune supplying car bumpers, is said to be worth in the region of £1.7billion.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/414479/Shahid-Khan-snaps-up-150m-Fulham?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-sport-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Sport+Feed%29

WhiteJC

Al Fayed sells soccer's Fulham to billionaire N.F.L. owner Khan

(CNN) -- Fulham became the sixth soccer team in England's Premier League to fall into U.S. ownership when the charismatic Mohamed Al Fayed sold the club to billionaire and N.F.L. owner Shahid Khan.

The deal, which had been in the works, was confirmed on Fulham's website Friday. The selling price wasn't disclosed, although several British media outlets reported it was upwards of $225 million.

Fulham said Khan assumes full ownership of the Cottagers, "debt-free, as of today."

"It has been a pleasure and privilege to be the Chairman of Fulham Football Club for 16 memorable years," Al Fayed, 84, told Fulham's website. "I am now delighted to be passing this great and historic Club into the care and stewardship of an outstanding man who has already achieved much in his life and will, I am sure, take Fulham on to even greater things.

"By his hard work, vision and determination, Shahid Khan has become a living embodiment of the American success story. His achievements speak for themselves.

"I met him twice prior to our successful transaction this week and have been very favorably impressed."

Al Fayed bought Fulham in 1997 for roughly $9 million and proceeded to pump around $300 million into the club based in southwest London, not far from Harrods -- the luxurious and iconic London department store Al Fayed owned before selling it to Qatar Holdings for a reported $2.3 billion in 2010.

While never challenging for the Premier League title, Fulham cemented its spot in the world's most watched league after winning promotion from the second tier in 2001 and even reached the Europa League final in 2010.

Training facilities improved, Craven Cottage was revamped and Fulham has permission to increase the capacity of the ground to 30,000.

It was during his stint with Fulham, though, that Al Fayed suffered heartbreak, losing his son, Dodi, in the car crash that also killed Princess Diana in Paris in 1997.

Al Fayed never shied away from doing things his own way.

He commissioned a statue of Michael Jackson -- his friend -- after the singer died in 2009 and put it outside Fulham's Craven Cottage stadium that sits on the banks of the River Thames.

Some fans didn't like it but Al Fayed didn't care.

He now plans to spend more time with his grandchildren in retirement.

"I am sad but proud of our achievements," said Al Fayed. "I am very grateful to Fulham's fans, the most incredible fans in the world.
They have given me their support and affection whenever they have seen me at home games.

"I would never let them down. I have passed the Club to a talented, honest and highly capable man who respects Fulham and its traditions. He is a great sportsman."

The Pakistan-born Khan, according to Forbes, was worth $2.9 billion as of last March.

He moved to the U.S. from Pakistan at the age of 16 to study at the University of Illinois, became a U.S. citizen and turned himself into one of the world's richest men.

Forbes reported that his company, automotive parts manufacturer Flex-N-Gate, generated sales of $3.9 billion in 2012.

Khan bought the Jacksonville Jaguars two years ago and the Jaguars will contest a game in London for the next four seasons.

U.S. owners have had spotty records in the Premier League -- think George Gillett and Tom Hicks at Liverpool -- so Fulham fans can only hope for the best.

Other Premier League teams currently owned by Americans are Manchester United, Arsenal, Aston Villa, Sunderland and Liverpool, with the latter now in the hands of John Henry.

"Fulham is the perfect club at the perfect time for me," Khan, in his early 60s, told Fulham's website. "I want to be clear, I do not view myself so much as the owner of Fulham but a custodian of the club on behalf of its fans.

Fulham's first league game of the new season under Khan is an away trip to Sunderland on August 17.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/12/sport/football/fulham-al-fayed-khan/index.html?

WhiteJC

Profile - New Fulham owner Khan will be up-front and personal

(Reuters) - New Fulham chief Shahid Khan, the Premier League's latest foreign owner, is likely to break the mould and be one of the most open and public of billionaires to take control of one of England's top flight clubs.

Other international owners such as Russian Roman Abramovich (Chelsea) and American Malcolm Glazer (Manchester United) rarely talk to the media or engage with fans but Khan has shown that he enjoys attention.

When Khan bought the National Football League's Jacksonville Jaguars in 2011, he brought his yacht into port in the northern Florida city and set about a series of community meetings with local politicians and fans.

"He is kind of a rock star with the fans," Alfie Crow, editor of the Jaguars' fan blog 'Big Cat Country,' told Reuters.

"He comes out to practice, interacts with the fans and talks to them. He is very much out there and engaged. He has really energised people."

Any trepidation Jaguars fans initially had about the team's new owner quickly dissipated as he won them over with his charm, not to mention a thick handlebar mustache and flowing hair that is a marked change from the staid image of the traditional NFL owner.

Khan, after all, is far from a typical owner of an American sports franchise.

Born in Lahore, Pakistan, where he not surprisingly fell in love with cricket, Khan moved to the United States as a 16-year-old, sleeping in a YMCA and washing dishes on his way to earning an engineering degree at the University of Illinois.

He ended up buying the first company to give him a job, transforming Flex-N-Gate into a lucrative car parts business. In 2010 he was making his first move into the sports world with an attempt to buy the NFL's St. Louis Rams.

The man who foiled that attempt was Stan Kroenke, who took majority ownership of the Rams. At Fulham, Khan will be in close proximity to Kroenke, the majority shareholder in London club Arsenal.

While Khan missed out on the Rams he did win friends in the NFL's elite ownership group and that helped him when he finally got into the league with the Jaguars.

"I thought, I have developed a love and affection as a fan for the sport and I'd like to be part of it," he told Reuters in an interview last year.

As well as engaging with the local fan base, Khan has emphasised the opportunities to "put Jacksonville on the map" by taking the Jaguars to London for an annual game over the next four seasons.

It was typical of Khan's approach though that he responded to speculation that his move for Fulham might have a negative impact on the Jaguars by emailing the team's season ticket holders to reassure them.

"Fulham F.C. will operate as a fully stand-alone business from the Jaguars. Fulham and the Jaguars each have a great responsibility to their players, fans, partners and communities, and both deserve nothing less than a 100 percent commitment from ownership," he wrote.

"In short, our pledge to you - a Jaguars franchise that is proud, bold and committed - remains unchanged.

Fulham season ticket holders can expect the same sort of hands-on attention, including fan forums, emails, media appearances, the kind of things that most foreign Premier League owners shy away from.

"I want to be clear, I do not view myself so much as the owner of Fulham, but a custodian of the club on behalf of its fans," said Khan.

The Premier League, with its unrestricted free-market approach to wages and transfers, is a very different world to the closed, salary-capped business model of the NFL, and it will be fascinating to see how Khan approaches Fulham.

However it turns out, Fulham fans are certainly going to know they have a new owner. (Editing by Frank Pingue)

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/07/12/soccer-fulham-khan-profile-idINDEE96B0DD20130712?rpc=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=sportsNews&rpc=401