more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff(17/07/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 17, 2013, 04:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham star honoured by Costa Rica reception

Fulham forward Bryan Ruiz was honoured with the reception that Cartagines fans gave him on his first appearances in his homeland of Costa Rica with the Whites.

Dimitar Berbatov had scored twice before he was able to find the target in the second half.

"It was a special day for me because I've never played with a European team in my country against a Costa Rica team," Ruiz told the club's official website.

"That gives us confidence also. I didn't celebrate it but I'll give my best and it was a good 45 minutes for everyone.

"I was surprised at [the fans applauding me] because I had nothing to do with Cartagines. I think they respect me and they're happy with my work. I have to thank the supporters for that ovation.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_star_honoured_by_costa_rica_reception_1_2281009

WhiteJC

Fulham 3-0 Cartagines – A match report
by FPTAYLOR on JULY 16, 2013

Sunday evening, the first game of the Shahid Khan era was under way as Fulham kicked off their pre-season tour of Costa Rica. Although not a competitive game, it was nice to see Fulham win so comfortably in a positive start to the 2013/14 season. The excitement of the new season was felt not only by long serving Fulham supporters, but also new supporters thanks to a new overseas friendship with the Jacksonville Jaguars supporters all united by Fulham FC's new custodian, Shahid Khan. In what is a homecoming tour for Fulham's Bryan Ruiz, the captain of the Costa Rican national team started the game on the bench along with debutants to be Maarten Stekelenburg, Fernando Amorebieta and Derek Boateng. Also making their debuts in the game were u21 regulars Lasse Vigen Christensen and Chris David.

Fulham boss Martin Jol used 22 of his 26 man squad on Sunday evening making sure most of the players received some form of game time and went on to comment after the game "First priority is to get the players fit and to get their rhythm, another priority is not to lose because we don't want to lose, and of course tactically you always work to try to get your own shape and your own system." Not only were Fulham able to improve their fitness, they provided us to a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining 90 minutes of football.

The first half, bar Sascha Riether and last season's top scorer and player of the season Dimitar Berbatov, featured a team of players with a point to prove, players who on paper are not likely to start next season but had a chance to show what they can do and express what they can provide to Martin Jol's side. The defence of David Stockdale in goal shielded by a back four of Sascha Riether, Philippe Senderos, Aaron Hughes and John Arne Riise were rarely challenged; any shot Cartagines had on goal was either handled comfortably by David Stockdale or went wide of the target.

The first 45 minutes featured a midfield of Damien Duff, Steve Sidwell, Giorgos Karagounis and young Mesca. Some of you may know that Steve Sidwell isn't my favourite player at the club, and as far as I'm concerned he justified this opinion with a pretty shoddy 70 minutes in which he displayed his extremely limited technical ability. The bright spark of the midfield in the first period of play was 20 year old Guinea-Bissau born winger Buomesca Tue Na Bangna. Simply known as Mesca, the winger provided the team with an outlet of pace, direct running and skill showing his ability to be a full back's nightmare. Hopefully, Mesca's knee will be kind to him this season after having his season last year ruined by a ruptured ACL.

The first half was lit up by the superb performance of Switzerland u21 international Pajtim Kasami; everything good for Fulham in the first 45 went through Kasami, who showed his skill on the ball and his ability as a footballer. Supported by many, and maligned by others since arriving at Fulham, it must be remembered that Kasami is 10 months younger than Alex Kacaniklic and should not be written off, especially after his showing on Sunday. Minutes before his assist, Pajtim Kasami showed strong running and impeccable skill with the ball at his feet as he assisted John Arne Riise only for the Norwegian to skew wide. He created the first goal for Fulham in the Shahid Khan era with great movement towards the by line before nicely cutting in and playing a ball across to Dimitar Berbatov for an opportunity the Bulgarian doesn't miss.

A positive with the first half performance was possibly the lack of emphasis we put on Dimitar Berbatov, he didn't receive the ball as frequently as he was at times last season. Displaying his good touch at times, Berbatov wasn't becoming the only plan for Fulham as it seemed last season. Positive words must be spoken about John Arne Riise's performance as he bombed up and down in the first 45 minutes than he did for the whole of last season! He was getting high up the pitch and providing Mesca with valuable support and created the first chance of the game with an absolutely perfect cross to Dimitar Berbatov which needed a good save from the Cartagines keeper. If this is a sign of things to come from Riise, his hard work in Miami is really paying off. His strong running prompted a tackle inside the box and Dimitar Berbatov slotted, as expected, calmly into the bottom right hand corner for the second goal of the game.

After a positive first half, Martin Jol rang the changes and brought on 8 players, including the first Fulham appearances for Maarten Stekelenburg, Fernando Amorebieta and Derek Boateng. Also making an appearance were Brede Hangeland, Kieran Richardson, Ashkan Dejagah back from injury, Alex Kacaniklic, Bryan Ruiz and Hugo Rodellega. This left Sascha Riether and Steve Sidwell as the only players not to be changed. Fulham started slower in the second half and couldn't seem to enter the same rhythm in which the XI from the first half could. However, some players still managed to stand out most noticeably Derek Boateng. He showed everything I expected and more. Fulham's very own Daddy Cool ran around the pitch tackling anyone who had the ball whilst showing a very comfortable passing range he kept the ball ticking and his highlight for me was a dreadlock flick in a break of play, Daddy Cool could prove a very good acquisition for Fulham FC.

Again, Fulham's defence was rarely tested and I personally cannot remember a clear chance Cartagines managed to create making it difficult to judge Venezuelan Fernando Amorebieta on his debut. However Maarten Stekelenburg made some comfortable saves to keep Fulham from conceding though nothing was really testing him. I believe it would be unfair to judge Ashkan Dejagah especially since this was his first game since his injury in early April but like Damien Duff, you couldn't remember if he was actually on the pitch or not.
Another bright spark in the Fulham side was Alex Kacaniklic who was beating his full back time and time again showing no signs of a peak in development and I for one am looking forward to seeing him next season and watching him be hopefully even better. There was a worry earlier in the transfer window that Tottenham Hotspur was sniffing around the bright young Swede but hopefully the presence of Shahid Khan will help us keep hold of him for at least a few more years.

It was written that Bryan Ruiz would notch a goal and he finished the scoring after being picked out by Hugo Rodallega. The Colombian's striker picked out Bryan with a cross who took one touch before volleying on the swivel. This was greeted with great joy by the Costa Rican commentator. A really well taken goal was one of the few chances for Fulham in the second half.
Because of the sheer amount of players that took part in the game on Sunday, it's difficult to speak in depth about their performances, so to finish off my match report on the first game of the 2013/14 season, I will do some player ratings:

Goalkeepers:

David Stockdale: 6/10
Maarten Stekelenburg: 6/10

Defenders:

Sascha Riether: 6/10
Lasse Vigen Christensen: N/A (Didn't have enough time to make an impact)

Philippe Senderos: 6/10
Aaron Hughes: 6/10
Brede Hangeland: 6/10
Fernando Amorebieta: 6/10

John Arne Riise: 7.5/10
Kieran Richardson: 6/10

Midfielders:

Damien Duff: 5/10
Ashkan Dejagah: 5/10

Steve Sidwell: 5/10
Giorgos Karagounis: 5/10
Derek Boateng: 7/10
Chris David: 6.5/10

Mesca: 6.5/10
Alex Kacaniklic: 6/10

Pajtim Kasami: 8/10 and my man of the match.
Bryan Ruiz: 6.5/10

Strikers:

Dimitar Berbatov: 7/10
Hugo Rodallega: 6/10

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/07/fulham-3-0-cartagines-a-match-report/?

WhiteJC

Fulham transfer news: Club to push for Sako

Fulham are ready to push through a bid to sign Wolverhampton Wanderers winger Bakary Sako before the end of the month - now that the club has changed hands.

French winger Sako has been a target for Cottagers manager Martin Jol all summer but the deal was held up while the clubs negotiated Wolves's £4 million price tag, which stalled last week leaving Sako in limbo.

However, with Fulham gaining a new owner over the weekend - with Shahid Khan taking charge - the move could be back on again before the start of the season.

That will be a relief for Sako, who was brought to Wolves last season by former boss Stale Solbakken with promotion as the club's aim.

But it all went wrong when Solbakken was sacked and Dean Saunders took over only to see Wolves relegated to League One.

That is frustrating Sako, 25, who says he was told he could move if Wolves did not win promotion.

Sako also wants top flight football so that he can challenge for a place in France's World Cup squad next year.

Former St Etienne star Sako said: "I came to Wolves to help them back to the Premier League.

"When I came here, the club told me if we didn't get promoted to the Premier League, they would find a solution.

"I want my future sorted out as soon as possible.

"Then Wolves can move on and strengthen their squad and I can achieve my dream.

"But I will always respect Wolves."

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/28273-fulham-transfer-news-club-to-push-for-sako.php

WhiteJC

Fulham & Sunderland to battle for Meireles

Meireles (Reuters)

Fulham and Sunderland are set to battle it out for Fenerbahce midfielder Raul Meireles.

The Turkish club have been banned from participating in this season's Champions League because of alleged match-fixing offences.

The ruling by Uefa could now spark an exodus from the Istanbul club – with the Premier League duo eyeing the former Chelsea midfielder.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is keen to bolster his squad this summer and is set to be backed to the hilt by new billionaire owner Shahid Khan.

He has been linked with a move for Queens Park Rangers midfielder Adel Taarabt, though the player has publicly expressed his desire to join French club Marseille.

That has seen Jol explore other options, with Meireles a genuine alternative.

The Portuguese star could be available for a cut-price fee if he requests a transfer.

However, the Dutchman will face competition in his bid for the 30-year-old, with Sunderland also interested.

Manager Paolo Di Canio remains keen to sign £5 million-rated Tom Huddlestone from Tottenham Hotspur, though negotiations have stalled.

In case the deal falls through, Di Canio is also eyeing other options, and he could yet move for Meireles should Huddlestone head elsewhere.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/28275-fulham-sunderland-to-battle-for-meireles.php

WhiteJC

Plaque Unveiling

Our football Club was founded at St. Andrew's Church in Fulham Fields 134 years ago and to commemorate the occasion a plaque will be unveiled on Sunday 21st July at 2:30pm.

As our Club has blossomed, so too has St. Andrew's and together we are proud to recognise our Founding Fathers as part of St. Andrew's Summer Fair, with entertainment and refreshments available. There's also a chance to view a specially commissioned oil painting that brings to life the church's 1887 football team.

In the year of the Football Association's 150th anniversary, we would be delighted if fans could join us at the church for this special ceremony, at which Club legends George Cohen, Les Strong and a number of former and current staff will be present.

The event will be held at St. Andrew's Church, Greyhound Road, London W14 9SA, with the fair running from midday until 3pm and the plaque ceremony set for 2:30pm.

For further information contact Supporter Relations – [email protected] or 0843 208 1222 (option 4).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/16/plaque-unveiling?

WhiteJC

Huddlestone Exit Nears as Rose and Townsend are Handed Tottenham Lifeline – Report

Fulham are set to reignite their interest in Tottenham Hotspur's Tom Huddlestone after Sunderland failed to agree a £5m deal for the wantaway midfielder.

Huddlestone indicated towards the end of last season that he may be forced to leave north London in order to secure more regular first team football after falling down the pecking order under Andre Villas-Boas.

The 26 year old started just 11 Premier League games last season and was believed to be close to joining Sunderland. However, the Daily Mail reports that Paulo Di Canio is no longer interested in pursuing the midfielder and Fulham are now prepared to make an offer.

With Tottenham securing the signature of Brazilian midfielder Paulinho for £17m earlier this summer, Huddlestone will have fallen even further out of favour and may well prefer a move to Fulham where he is likely to get more regular game time.

While Huddlestone's future looks set to lie away from White Hart Lane, Danny Rose and Andros Townsend appear to have been given a second chance to impress by Villas-Boas.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/490900/20130716/tottenha-huddlestone-fulham-rose-townsend.htm?

WhiteJC

Pakistan Football Federation Urges New Fulham Owner to Develop Pakistani Talents

Fulham's new owner Shahid Khan could do well to look at the country of his origin for prospective players, according to the Pakistan Football Federation's marketing director Sardar Naveed Haider.

Khan is of Pakistani origin but made his fortune in the United States, and is the current owner of NFL franchise the Jacksonville Jaguars.

He has expanded his empire to include Fulham Football Club, after owner Mohamed Al Fayed passed on the mantle last week.

Fulham have seen a Pakistani-origin player in their ranks before, when Zesh Rehman enjoyed a two-year spell between 2004 and 2006, and who then went on to represent the country despite being born in England.

And Haider told the AFP: "We are trying to make contact with [Khan] to request him to come to Pakistan and see the burgeoning talent in the country and give them an opportunity to be groomed at the Fulham academy.

"We definitely have talent at our disposal. Look at our structure in which our Under-14 and Under-16 teams are doing well", he said. "We won the South Asian Under-16 title in Nepal in 2011 and will defend it later this month.

"If Khan can send his scouts to Pakistan, who can then have a look at our talent and provide them with a facility at Fulham, it would be a great help and the boys are excited at the prospect.

"It is very exciting for the football fraternity here that a Pakistani now owns a top [Premier League] club and we wish that under his ownership Fulham becomes a successful team."

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/07/16/pakistan-football-federation-urges-new-fulham-owner-to-develop-pakistani-talents/92259/#lBTTd78R4Jk0Kd4o.99

WhiteJC

Fulham 5/2 to fire under Khan

Shahid Khan has taken the Fulham reins from Mohamed Al Fayed and the bookmakers feel he has his work cut out at Craven Cottage.

Fulham had a poor second half of the campaign and bet365 have the Cottagers priced at 13/2 to be relegated in the next Premier League season.

If you feel Khan will invest heavily and bring success to Fulham, the Cottagers can be backed at 500/1 to be the top side in London.

With Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham around, that would be a bold investment and a more realistic aim could be a top-half finish - which can be backed at 5/2.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/blogs/sport/story/221821.html?CMP=OTC-RSS#kW2E6wCwsF58yr22.99

WhiteJC

Jol Safe (For Now)

With Mohamed Al Fayed having relinquished the ownership reigns, it appears that the pressure is about to be increased on those who work at Fulham Football Club.

Shahid Khan has arrived with a reputation for wanting success via empowerment, otherwise heads could roll, as has been the case with the NFL side he owns Jacksonville Jaguars.

As Martin Jol continues his pre-season preparations, on our tour of Costa Rica, he`ll do well to heed the comments printed in the media this morning that set a target next season of improving on the 12th place attained last time out, with Khan remarking,

"At this moment his job is safe."

"But the philosophy I have is to empower people, give them resources - then hold them accountable."

Is this the recipe for success or does the world of football have to many other influencing factors?

Your views would be greatly appreciated.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=325154#ixzz2ZGsMGoqp

WhiteJC

Old Boy Seeks Premier League Return

Yesterday, we mentioned how one of our old boys - Clint Dempsey, might be on the move this summer, today we have news that another old-boy may be in the same boat.

Reports, published, in the tabloid press, infer that our former Russian striker, Pavel Pogrebynak, is seeking a return to the Premier League.

After having had a far from memorable season last time out, a season in which Reading were relegated to the Championship, it turns out that a clause in his contract allows Pavel (29) to leave the Berkshire club to seek another.

How does that saying go about rats and sinking ships?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=325155#ixzz2ZGsY3Dib

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Schalke admit defeat in pursuit of Fulham's Sascha Riether

Schalke have ended their pursuit of Fulham full-back Sascha Riether, according to German newspaper Ruhr Nachrichten.

Riether only recently agreed a permanent deal at Craven Cottage having spent last season on loan at the club, meaning Schalke's chances of bringing in the former Germany international were always slim.

However, the form displayed by the former Freiburg player persuaded Schalke to chance their arm but a difference in valuation of the player is reported to have prevented a deal.

General manager Horst Heldt spoke to Ruhr Nachrichten on Tuesday and appeared to admit defeat in their attempts to sign Riether.

"We are starting the campaign with the squad we currently have," he said.

"We will only look at incoming transfers again if our first-team squad is hit by injuries. If not, we will not spend further (on new players)."

Riether will now remain at Fulham, having signed a contract keeping him at the club until 2015.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8826942/?

WhiteJC

A vote of thanks for Mark Collins
by DAN on JULY 16, 2013

With an ownership change of the magnitude that Fulham announced at the weekend, departures from the boardroom were inevitable. The behind-the-scenes running of a professional football club isn't something that most fans see – and certainly doesn't attract as much media interest as the arrival of a new centre forward – but it is critically important. In Fulham's case, the club simply wouldn't have had thirteen successive seasons in the top flight without the careful stewardship of those on the board.

Mark Collins isn't a name that many will know, but his role in the initial Al-Fayed takeover of the club when Fulham were celebrating leaving the Football League basement in 1997 was crucial. A Fulham fan through and through, Collins has been an integral part of the running of the club as well as an approachable board member and a reassuring presence at Mohamed Al Fayed's side as the new era became far more successful than many had dared to dream.

It remains to be seen how the new Khan regime will shape up but, as Companies House records his departure from the board of directors, I felt it appropriate to offer sincere thanks for Collins' hard work, enthusiasm and contribution to a quite incredible journey.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/07/a-vote-of-thanks-for-mark-collins/?

WhiteJC

Fulham join Peter Odemwingie transfer chase as Crystal Palace's pursuit drags on

West Brom striker who made shambolic attempt to move to QPR in January could end up in west London after all

Crystal Palace's bid to land Peter Odemwingie has come under threat from Fulham.

West Brom striker Odemwingie has been set for a move to south London and Premier League new boys Palace, with Ian Holloway keen on his services.

But with doubts now surrounding that switch, the Cottagers - bought last week by US billionaire Shad Khan - have registered an interest in bringing him to west London instead.

Odemwingie, 31, has just a year left on his contract but has been left out of the Baggies' pre-season tour of Germany.

The Nigeria international, who almost joined Londoners QPR in January, has been forced to train away from the main squad as West Brom freeze him out of the first-team picture.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-transfers-peter-odemwingie-west-2058026#ixzz2ZGtYuhHJ
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

U18s put five past Setubal
by DAN on JULY 16, 2013

Fulham's Under 18s began their pre-season tour of Portugal with an impressive 5-1 thrashing of Vitoria Setubal tonight.

Welsh winger George Williams looked sharp in front of goal – scoring four of Fulham's goals, whilst promising younger Patrick Roberts bagged the other one.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/07/u18s-put-five-past-setubal/?

WhiteJC

U21s win pre-season opener
by DAN on JULY 16, 2013

A double from Cauley Woodrow helped Fulham's under-21s to a comfortable win in the first game of their pre-season tour against Sindicato Jogadores.

The England youth international was joined on the scoresheet by Australian winger Ryan Williams.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/07/u21s-win-pre-season-opener/?