more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (16/07/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 16, 2013, 04:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jol backs Ruiz to shine

Fulham manager Martin Jol has backed Bryan Ruiz to play a pivotal role for the club next season.

The Costa Rica forward netted in the London side's first fixture of their pre-season campaign, a 3-0 win over Cartagines in his homeland on Sunday.

And, though Jol accepts Ruiz is best employed in a traditional number 10 role, he believes the 27-year-old can utilise his versatility in order to make a big impact next term.

"Bryan wore number 11 last year because someone else had the number 10 but I think he is a typical number 10. He can play as a midfield player and he can play as a second striker," he said.

"I have to say in one of our games at the end of last season he scored two goals and then I played him on the right and he played in Holland of course in a different system on the right.

"Bryan Ruiz is an offensive quality player who can play in three or four positions."

The Dutchman also expressed contentment with Fulham's performance against Cartagines, who finished second in the Costa Rican top flight last season.

"They had a good team, a good balance and a different system, so it was good for us to cope with it where the first half was a bit better probably than the second half," he added.

"We had some good players that could make the difference, but I would say that they have four or five very good players as well.

"First priority is to get the players fit and to get their rhythm, another priority is not to lose because we don't want to lose, and of course tactically you always work to try to get your own shape and your own system.

"That is what we did - first half was okay and in the second half they had two or three chances which forced a good save from our keeper. They had some quality as well and left some good players on the bench to bring on in the second half.

"I think they are a good team, they only conceded 18 goals, somebody told me, last year and we scored three against them so that is very satisfying."

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2013/July/15/jol-backs-ruiz-to-shine/?

WhiteJC

Jol gets job assurances

New Fulham owner Shahid Khan insists he is not a 'micro-manager' and has vowed to let Martin Jol get on with managing team affairs.

The Jacksonville Jaguars owner has bought Fulham from Mohamed Al Fayed and the billionaire is keen to build on the good work put in place by the former Harrods owner over the past 16 years. The Pakistani-born business man has already told the club's fans that he wants to 'elevate' the club further up the Premier League, while hinting that the days of selling key players such as Moussa Dembele are over.

And Khan immediately put Jol at ease about his role with the club by insisting that he would be given the tools to do his job as team manager without any interference such as trying to pick the team. He said on the club's website: "Decisions over the buying and selling of players will lie with Martin as I'm no micro-manager. "I'll be applying some of the lessons I've learnt in America about going from one man in a garage to where we are today with 17,000 employees. "How do you get to that level - by finding the best people, empowering them, giving them the resources, holding them accountable and not micro-managing."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-gets-job-assurances-1607283.html?

WhiteJC

Schalke fail to meet valuation for Fulham star

Schalke have failed in their attempts to sign Sascha Riether after refusing to meet Fulham's £2.1m asking price.

talkSPORT told you earlier this month that the Bundesliga side were keen on Riether, who only completed a permanent switch to Fulham at the beginning of July following a successful loan campaign at Craven Cottage.

The 30-year-old won Fulham's player of the year award last term and Martin Jol successfully extended the German's stay in west London.

But Schalke wanted to bring him back to his homeland and sounded Fulham out over a move.

However, the Cottagers rejected Schalke's £1.7m bid and the German side are unwilling to match Fulham's £2.1m valuation.

Read more: http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130715/schalke-fail-meet-valuation-fulham-star-201674?#ixzz2ZAyJAMgO
Follow us: @talksport on Twitter
Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130715/schalke-fail-meet-valuation-fulham-star-201674?#Iuuvt2m5OqAJkvk4.99

WhiteJC

Shahid Khan: Another Pakistani success story we failed to appreciate

After the completion of the Fulham deal, Al Fayed aptly called him "A living embodiment of the American success story".
PHOTO: REUTERS

On Saturday, 13 July, my heart swelled with national pride when Shahid Khan, a Pakistani-born billionaire based in the USA, completed the purchase of the English Premier League football club Fulham FC from Egyptian business mogul Mohamed Al Fayed. The completion of the deal, which is valued at around 150 million to 200 million pounds sterling, has made Khan the sixth American and probably the first man of Pakistani origin to purchase a Premier League club.

The purchase of Fulham is not Khan's first venture into the world of sport. In November 2011, he purchased the National Football League (NFL) team Jacksonville Jaguars, making him the first US ethnic minority member to ever own an NFL team.

Khan, a car parts magnate who is ranked 179th in the Forbes 400 list of richest Americans and is overall the 490th wealthiest man in the world, was not always the successful entrepreneur that he is today. Born in Lahore to humble origins, he moved to the United States in 1968 to study at the University of Illinois, where he worked as a dishwasher. After he graduated with a BSc in Industrial Engineering in 1971, he was hired by an auto parts manufacturer called Flex-n-Gate to work as an engineering director. His life really turned around when he set up his own auto parts manufacturing firm called Bumper Works. He bought Flex-n-Gate in 1980 and grew his business in order to start supplying parts to US automobile giants General Motors, Ford and Chrysler. His company is now valued at $2 billion and has generated approximately 12,000 jobs.

Khan has put in immense effort to make it to where he is today. After the completion of the Fulham deal, Al Fayed aptly called him

"A living embodiment of the American success story".

It is possible to draw parallels between him and oil tycoon John D. Rockefeller, who came from humble origins, much like Khan, yet worked his way up to become the one of the richest men to have ever lived. While Khan is not quite as wealthy as Mr. Rockefeller was, his success story should still be seen as a symbol of national pride for Pakistanis as well as a symbol of hope, showing us that the hardest workers may reap the greatest rewards and that we can rise above mediocrity if we apply ourselves with the intent of doing so.

Aggravated by news of his purchase of Fulham, some in Pakistan find Khan a 'traitor'. They moan and groan about how Khan invests money elsewhere instead of within his native land, Pakistan.

On hearing such thoughts, I am left slightly dumbfounded at their irrationality.

Khan is a businessman. Naturally, as a businessman, he has his own interests in mind when investing money. He did not buy Fulham with the simple enthusiasm of a fan (although he was careful to state their interests were uppermost on his mind). He bought it because he sees it as an investment which, if managed well, shall deliver him returns for years to come. He earned his money by working for it and he should be free to do as he pleases with his earnings.

When will we start learning from people whose examples we can follow in, instead of picking them apart and judging their actions?

So long as this attitude of finding fault when none is due in home-born success stories continues, Pakistanis will seldom see greatness that the likes of Shahid Khan has. He did not make his fortune by envying the achievements of others. Neither will we.

http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/18171/shahid-khan-another-pakistani-success-story-we-failed-to-appreciate/?

WhiteJC

Fulham new boy happy with first showing

Fulham goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg was pleased to get some game time under his belt as the Whites saw off Cartagines.

Dimitar Berbatov scored twice before Bryan Ruiz made it three late on.

"I was very excited," he told the club's official website. "It was a long time ago since I played a game. Fulham's shirt is nice.

"I had to make one save and did some balls with my feet. We play a lot more games before the season starts and I continue like this.

"The players and everybody at the club are very nice."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_new_boy_happy_with_first_showing_1_2279121

WhiteJC

Kit's Portugal Preview

Kit Symons is looking forward to a prosperous 2013/14 campaign having been pleased with the condition his Under-21s returned in following the summer break.

With a 1-0 victory in their first pre-season match already secured, his youngsters now depart – along with the Under-18s – to Portugal for a week to play two matches, as well as to gain valuable experience of playing in a different footballing environment.

"Everyone's come back in really good shape – I've been very impressed," Kit told fulhamfc.com. "Clearly they've all followed their programmes well over the summer.

"Also, with the Under-21s, we get them back in two weeks before the start of pre-season – we get them back in just to do a fitness week to make sure everyone is in good shape. They came in and worked really hard so it's been good and I've been very impressed with how we've started.

"We're in Portugal from Monday to Monday and we're playing a couple of good games over there. We're playing against a team called 'the Jogadores,' who are made of up lads who haven't got a club. They form a team and go round playing people.

"I was speaking to Luis Boa Morte about them and he said they're reasonably strong. So that will be a good game and then we play Porto Under-21s on the Saturday, which will be a very tough game."

There will be four matches in total – two for each side – as the Under-18s face Vitoria Setubal on Tuesday before taking on VSC Guimares at the end of the week.

"The Under-21s and the Under-18s will have separate matches," Kit confirmed. "We'll all travel as a group and we'll integrate at times but, for the football side of it, we will be split a little bit really. They've got two games and we've got two games.

"We're both a little bit light on numbers so there might be a few ups and downs between certain personnel, but it should be a good trip."

Fans in attendance at Saturday's 1-0 triumph over Sutton United will have spotted Boa Morte in Fulham colours once again as he was brought on in the second half as he looks to maintain his fitness.

Our former Captain is a regular at Motspur Park these days and, although he does not hold an official coaching position with the Club, Kit is sure that his presence can only prove to be beneficial for the younger players.

"Boa's going to be out in Portugal at the same time and he's going to meet up with us when we're over there," he explained. "He'll be with me a lot of the time with the 21s, mirroring me and Sean Reed, and what we do for our preparation, our coaching, and what we do on a matchday, things like that.

"He's great to have around. He trained with the boys quite a lot last season and he was great. With his experience and his enthusiasm, he's a good guy to have about."

Kit is without a few of his star performers for the trip to Portugal, but he's delighted that they are with the First Team in Costa Rica instead, as his primary goal is to prepare youngsters for life in Martin Jol's squad.

"That's exactly what it's all about," he admitted. "Muamer Tankovic, who's come up from the Under-18s, has gone away. Then there's also Chris David and Mesca [Na Bangna], who are both young players.

"Lasse [Vigen] Christensen has gone away as well so it's great experience for them. It's fantastic and we just really hope they enjoy it and do well when they get their chances on the pitch."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/15/kits-portugal-preview?

WhiteJC

'Next Ronaldo' Chelsea target's brother impresses for Fulham in Costa Rica

Fulham gave Buomesca Tue Na Bangna a run out in Cartago along with several debutants ... but will his brother join him in London next season?

Fulham got their pre-season tour of Costa Rica under way last night in what was the clubs first game since the takeover by Shahid Khan was finalised at Craven Cottage.

The club will face Costa Rican powerhouses L.D Alajuelense and Deportivo Saprissa on the tour but got things started off in Cartago against CS Cartagines yesterday.

The club finished runners up in the Costa Rican Verano last season and have many Costa Rican internationals in their fold so the tie was not expected to be an easy affair; but Fulham made it look that way.

Dimitar Berbatov was once again the difference for The Cottagers. The Bulgarian bagged a brace before Costa Rican star Bryan Ruiz bagged the third in his homeland; to a warm reception from the home fans.

Martin Jol gave debuts to several players in the game. Maarten Stekelenburg came on for the second half and made a stunning save while Derek Boateng and Fernando Amorebieta also made their debuts.

But two youngsters were given starts in the form of Pajtim Kasami and Buomesca Tue Na Bangna.

And both impressed when they were on the pitch; with Kasami even bagging an assist.

'Mesca' was also very impressive as he finally enjoyed some time out on the pitch for Fulham; before coming off at half time for Alexander Kacaniklic.

The young Portuguese winger has previously struggled to play for the club since his arrival from Chelsea due to persistent knee injuries but he seems to have put all that behind him.

Last season he often travelled with the first team squad and he will now hope to continue impressing in pre-season and force his way into Martin Jol's plans for the regular season.

So things are certainly going smoother for 'Mesca' then they are for his brother 'Bruma'.

Armindo Tue Na Bangna has had a tumultuous summer at Sporting Lisbon as several teams chase his signature; including, we are led to believe, his brothers former club Chelsea.

Last week Bruma was linked with Porto, Galatasaray and Chelsea while it was also stated he could exercise the right to leave the club on a free through a legal loophole.

Then things took a sinister twist when he was involved in a kidnap attempt at the end of the week.

Now he has taken his case to a FIFA tribunal and a decision on his future will be made in just over a month; with Bruma, dubbed the 'next Cristiano Ronaldo', hoping to cancel his contract with the Portuguese side and potentially move to Chelsea this summer.

Buomesca is certainly having the better summer, however; all things permitting the brothers could both be playing in South-West London next season.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/07/15/mn-next-ronaldo-chelsea-targets-brother-impresses-for-fulham-in/?

WhiteJC

Away Days: Part Four

Having clocked up thousands of miles between them, we asked a number of fans to share their thoughts on all of the 19 Barclays Premier League grounds that Fulham will visit during the 2013/14 campaign. In the concluding part, we look at our final four away fixtures of the season.

Manchester City – Etihad Stadium (Saturday 22nd March 2014)

"City have been playing at the 47,500 capacity Etihad Stadium since the 2003/04 season. It's situated in East Manchester which has a number of decent local bus routes. As well as the normal on-site facilities, there is an excellent fish and chip shop on the opposite side of the road from the away end.

"Although we have only gained two points from our last four trips there, we have enjoyed some famous victories over the years – including the unforgettable 3-2 win during our 'Great Escape' run. That match would be in my top away games ever attended."

Martin Goldthorpe

Aston Villa – Villa Park (Saturday 5th April 2014)

"I really like Villa Park - the ground has been modernised significantly over the years as the club has got bigger, but it has managed to retain its tradition, culture and history. The ground still has an aura of success; you're reminded of the great sides that won European cups, and the famous Holte End towers over you.

"The away stand is nearest the North End which is filled with Villa fans, as you'd expect. The ground holds 42,000 people and when Villa score you can definitely feel the noise. Although the acoustics are not that great as the stadium is open, singing is always loud and there are always some great exchanges between the two sets of fans.

"It's definitely one to see if you haven't been before. A trip to Villa Park is always a pleasure."

Ben Jarman

Tottenham Hotspur – White Hart Lane (Saturday 19th April 2014)

"A brisk walk up the road from Seven Sisters Station and you'll find White Hart Lane sitting proudly; a modern stadium befitting of the Premier League. There's a great atmosphere too, and much better when Mr Berbatov handed us a win there last season.

"You can enjoy a beer and a burger at half time, and hope that three points follow.  It's always fun to wind up the home fans by telling them that Arsenal have beaten them to Champions League football when they were pretty sure that they'd done enough by beating us. God bless football."

Billy Murphy

Stoke City – Britannia Stadium (Saturday 3rd May 2014)

"This season's trip has the added interest of one of our former Managers, Mark Hughes, now overseeing the Potters. It remains to be seen whether we can take all three points, but it would be nice to win the penultimate game of the 2013/14 campaign and see the term out in style.

"I have to say, for me, the Britannia is one of the most underrated grounds in the league. It's probably one of my favourite to visit. The atmosphere is always great, and you know that you'll always be in for a battle out on the pitch. That's what away games are all about."

Neal King

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/15/away-days-part-four?

WhiteJC

Dempsey Moving On (Again)

It`s interesting to see that one of our former players could be on the move again.

Clint Dempsey, having made his reputation at Craven Cottage, moved to White Hart Lane last summer.

Well now it appears that after a solitary season at Spurs, Andre Villas Boas has decreed that the American is surplus to requirements.

I wonder if he wishes he`d stayed with us now

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=325056#ixzz2ZB0UCkhB

WhiteJC

Fulham Fear

Events over in West London where Mohamed Al Fayed has sold Fulham, after being the owner for 16 years, could have ramifications for West Ham United.

With Shahid Khan installed as the new owner and promising to take Fulham to another level, Sam Allardyce feels that being able to splash the cash may affect our own transfer policy with Big Sam quoted as having remarked, following the takeover,

"Now Fulham are in new hands it will make it harder to attract players to West Ham as they will probably pay more money than us. Shahid Khan has inherited a successful Premier League side."

Strange, I never looked at it in that manner before, but I guess Sam is right!

Read more: http://www.westham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=325057#ixzz2ZB0sehiD

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Olympiakos midfielder Djamel Abdoun keen on move to England

Djamel Abdoun: Wants to quit Olympiakos this summer and is eyeing a move to England

Olympiakos midfielder Djamel Abdoun says it would be 'fantastic' to play in England again after being linked with a move to the Premier League or Championship this summer.

The 27-year-old, who was born in France but represents Algeria at international level, has won back-to-back league titles with Olympiakos since signing from Kavala in the summer of 2011.

He had a brief taste of English football with Manchester City in 2007 but made just one senior appearance during a six-month loan spell with the Premier League club.

He has been linked with a permanent switch back to England this summer, with Premier League duo Southampton and Fulham, as well as Championship side Nottingham Forest, all credited with an interest.

German side Wolfsburg and Turkish outfit Besiktas are also reported to be monitoring the winger's progress.

Abdoun has revealed he is ready to quit Karaiskakis Stadium and admits a move to England would appeal to him.

"I'm a big fan of English football, my first experience was not fantastic at City but I have more experience now," he said.

"I have been the best passer in the Greek league for the past three years, I want a new challenge.

"To play in England again would be fantastic."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8825714/?

WhiteJC

Sir Bobby Robson Day launched by the FA in memory of late former England manager

Events to be held across the country on August 10 for beloved boss who was also in charge of Ipswich, Barcelona and Newcastle

Legend: Robson's contribution to the game "cannot be underestimated"
PA

The Football Association have declared Saturday August 10 as a national Sir Bobby Robson Day.

Beloved former England, Newcastle, Ipswich and Fulham boss Robson, who passed away four years ago this month at age 76 after a battle with cancer, will be commemorated with events across the country as part of the FA's 150th anniversary.

The day will focus on all aspects of the game including women's football, disability football, refereeing and coaching.

Former Newcastle and England striker Alan Shearer has backed the announcement.

Shearer said: "Sir Bobby sums up everything that is great about English football.

"From elite success – guiding England in their best World Cup showing on foreign soil and top club honours in England, Spain, Portugal and Holland – to his love for the grassroots game and natural affinity with the fan in the street.

"On a national and international level, his contribution to football cannot be underestimated."

Lady Elsie Robson, Sir Bobby's widow, said: "It's a lovely gesture from the FA and we're very grateful for their generous support of the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation too."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fa-launch-sir-bobby-robson-2055853#ixzz2ZB2CmNLx
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham prepare Huddlestone swoop as £5m Sunderland move for Spurs midfielder stalls

Sunderland are ready to drop their interest in Tottenham midfielder Tom Huddlestone after failing to agree a £5million transfer.

The problems at the Stadium of Light have opened the door for Fulham manager Martin Jol to revive his interest in the 26-year-old.

On the move: Huddlestone (left) watches the tennis at Wimbledon alongside team-mate Michael Dawson

At White Hart Lane, Spurs are continuing to negotiate with FC Twente for winger Nacer Chadli.

The Dutch club have a bid on the table from Swansea but the Belgium international's agent Daniel Evrard said: 'We hear a lot about Tottenham, but the club will have to come up with a concrete offer first. We hope to have more clarity during this week.'

International: Chadli has 14 caps for Belgium

Meanwhile Fulham have handed trials to Lens striker Ange-Freddy Plumain, an 18-year-old who has previously been capped by France at Under 16 level.

And Panathinaikos are discussing a move for Fulham midfielder Mahamadou Diarra, 32, who is a free agent.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2364572/Tom-Huddlestone-Sunderland-transfer-stalls-Fulham-prepare-bid.html#ixzz2ZB2sroFt
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Cottagers alerted by target admission

Fulham boss Martin Jol will have been alerted by Olympiakos midfielder Djamel Abdoun's admission that he wants to play in England.

The 27-year-old France-born Algeria international has played in the Premier League for a brief spell back in 2007 when he had a six-month loan stint at Manchester City where he found first-team football difficult to come by. Abdoun's career has improved dramatically in recent years as he has won back-to-back Greek titles with Olympiakos since moving from Kavala two years ago. However, the winger is now looking for a change and, while German outfit Wolfsburg and Turkish side Besiktas have been linked, it appears Abdoun has his sights set on a move back to England. Championship side Nottingham Forest are thought to be interested, but the Cottagers could offer him Premier League football along with Southampton who have also been mentioned as potential suitors. Therefore it could be a straight fight between the two clubs to try and lure him to England. "I'm a big fan of English football, my first experience was not fantastic at City but I have more experience now," said Abdoun. "I have been the best passer in the Greek league for the past three years, I want a new challenge. "To play in England again would be fantastic."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottagers-alerted-by-target-admission-1607435.html?

WhiteJC

L.D. Alajuelense Preview

The Whites' second pre-season friendly of the summer takes place on Wednesday when Fulham face L.D. Alajuelense at the Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica, San José. Here's all you need to know about Bryan Ruiz's first club...

History

Founded on the 18th June 1919, Alajuelense were one of the seven teams that formed the National Football League two years later. Nicknamed Leones (Lions), they are one of the most successful sides in Costa Rican history, with 28 National Championships (including four won consecutively at the turn of the Millennium) and 20 National Subcampeonatos to their name.

They play their home matches at Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto which holds a capacity of just under 18,000. The ground is named after Alajuelense's record appearance maker, Alejandro Morera Soto, who is commonly acknowledged to have been one of the best players in the country's history. Soto also enjoyed a prolific spell at Barcelona where he scored for fun in the 1930s.

The club is one of only two sides never to have been relegated from the Primera Division, whilst they have also won the CONCACAF Champions Cup twice, and the UCAF Club Championship on three occasions. They had eight representatives in the Costa Rica squad for the World Cup in 2002, and five in 2006.

Last season

Alajuelense enjoyed a superb start to the campaign and they finished top of the group in the Apertura term. The top four teams advanced to the Semi-Finals, with Alajuelense knocking Limón out with a 1-0 aggregate scoreline over the course of the two legs to set up a Final clash with Herediano. They won the away leg 2-1, but Herediano grabbed a 1-0 victory in the second match to force extra-time. New signing Alvaro Sanchez then popped up in the 111th minute to secure a 28th title for the Lions.

Their success saw them qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League, where they were drawn in a group with Mexican side Tigres, and Nicaraguan outfit Real Esteli. They played each team twice, beating Esteli 1-0 home and away and drawing with Tigres on home soil. Unfortunately, the Mexicans comfortably prevailed in the reverse fixture to take top spot in the group and qualify for the knock-out stages.

In the Clausura tournament, Alajuelense missed out on qualification for the Semi-Finals after they finished fifth. It could have all been different if they had managed to get a result in their final game of the season, but they lost 1-0 to C.S. Cartaginés. Most recently, they drew 1-1 with Carmelita in the Quarter-Finals of the Costa Rica Cup.

Manager

Oscar Ramirez – nicknamed El Machillo (The Blondie) on account of the blond locks he had as a player – was a popular figure at Alajuelense in the 1980s and early 1990s, winning four titles and the CONCACAF Champions League. He then caused controversy by signing for rivals Deportivo Saprissa - Fulham's opponents on Saturday.

He was one of the best footballers that Costa Rica has produced, making 75 appearances for the national side and wearing the number 10 shirt at the 1990 World Cup. Now back at Alajuelense as Manager, he has a good relationship with the fans due to his desire to see his side play attractive, exciting football.

Coach Wilmer Lopez describes the philosophy: "We must continue true to our system, which is manage the tempo and keep possession of the ball, linearity during the 90 minutes and intensive movements to hurt the opponent."

Players

Goalkeeper and captain Patrick Pemberton made his debut for the club in 2006, although he is currently with the national side for their Gold Cup campaign. 24-year-old Allen Guevara is an exciting player and was part of the Costa Rica squad who came fourth at the 2009 Under-20 World Cup, while Luis Miguel Valle has been a consistent performer since making his debut five years ago.

Current squad

Goalkeepers: 1. Patrick Pemberton, 18. Alfonso Quesada Ramirez, 23. Dexter Lewis

Defenders: 2. Elías Palma, 3. Porfirio López, 4. Kenner Gutiérrez, 6. José Salvatierra, 24. Ariel Soto, 30. Jhonny Acosta Zamora

Midfielders: 5. Cristian Oviedo, 10. Álvaro Sánchez, 13. Luis Miguel Valle, 16. Allen Guevera, 17. Kevin Sancho, 25. Kenneth García, 26. Ariel Rodríguez, 28. Juan Gabriel Guzmán, 29. Jorge Davis

Forwards: 7. Alejandro Delgado, 8. Armando Alonso, 9. Jerry Palacios, 11. Alejandro Aguilar, 15. Johan Ulloa, 21. José Guillermo Ortiz

Magic numbers

1 – The number of Elton John concerts held at their stadium.

20 – The retired squad number that was last worn by popular defender Mauricio Montero, who is now a coach at the club.

24 – The number of goals Bryan Ruiz scored during their 2005 title winning season.

27 – They held the highest ever placing of a Central American team in the International Federation of Football History & Statistics world rankings, back in 2000.

197 – The number of times record scorer Errol Daniels found the back of the net for Alajuelense.

Photos courtesy of lda.cr - Alajuelense's official website.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/16/alajuelense-preview?

WhiteJC

International Fans: Fulham Texas

All summer we are profiling some of the Club's international fan groups and we are now on Fulham Texas, headed up by Dean Kakridas.

Have you met with other members? Do you have a website or social media channels so fans can communicate?

As you know, Texas is a massive state, so meet ups tend to happen in the bigger cities like Dallas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. I know many of our members get together in those cities at local pubs to watch Fulham games. In Austin, a few of us usually meet at Fado, on Saturday mornings.

We don't have a website yet, but have a Facebook and Twitter page. Our Facebook page is fairly active and we hope to take that to the next level this coming season.

Did an American player introduce you to FFC? If not, why Fulham and why start a supporters' club?

It's no secret that Fulham has a long history in signing some of America's best players. Initially, it was Brian McBride who put Fulham on my radar. But not until Texas native Clint Dempsey put on the White shirt, did I go all-in on my Fulham support. It's hard not to respect and admire the way he plays the game and represents the Texas and the USA. When we lost him to Tottenham Hotspur, it was depressing, of course but, in the end, I hope that it's the best outcome for us and him.

The impulse to start a supporters' club came from more than just the American player connection. For me, Fulham FC represents everything that's great about the game. History, emotion, hard work, and perseverance. Competitive, attractive, fair-play football. The Club has a wonderful, friendly aesthetic; chocked full of upside and unbeatable intrigue. Someday, when we finally make the UEFA Champions League or even win the league, it will be a glorious outcome of Texas-sized proportions.

Have you or other Texan fans been to a match at Craven Cottage?

Yes, many of our members have been to the Cottage. Personally, my first game was in 2010 versus Wolverhampton Wanderers. The game Bobby Zamora broke his leg and Mousa Dembélé got the winner with a gorgeous left-footed strike into the corner with time running out. It was a truly wonderful experience from start to finish.

What do you want Fulham Texas to achieve this season?

Since I started Fulham Texas in the middle of last season, the goal now is to really crank up membership and become an official International Supporters' Club. With a population of 26m people and many, many soccer fans, I see no reason why we can't be one of the larger US-based supporter clubs for Fulham. So that means more reach via social media to Texas-based Barclays Premier League fans and hopefully expose them to the things that make Fulham such a magnificent club. We also want to connect and share with our fellow US-based FFC supporters' clubs and, together, help make the United States an important international voice and supporter community for Fulham fans everywhere. We're all in this together.

Who is your current favourite player and why?

Martin Jol has brought in so many great players lately. My wife is Persian, so Ashkan Dejagah has become quite a popular player in the household. But overall, for me, Dimitar Berbatov has to be the choice. Since I started following Fulham, I've never witnessed a player of Berba's class and guile. A true talisman. We're so fortunate to have him, even later in his career. I'm hoping that his talent can rub off on more teammates this year and we bring in more quality to surround him with and "pass him the ball". If one of those players was from the USA, I might have a new favourite player.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/16/fulham-texas?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss urged to find Pakistan talent

Pakistan football chiefs Tuesday urged new Fulham owner Shahid Khan to go back to his roots and look for young talent in the South Asian country.

Billionaire Khan, born in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore, took over the English Premier League club in a deal struck on Friday.

The 62-year-old vowed to build on the foundations left by previous owner Mohamed Al Fayed, and Pakistan Football Federation (PFF) marketing director Sardar Naveed Haider urged him to look to Pakistan.

"We are trying to make a contact with him to request him to come to Pakistan and see the burgeoning talent in the country and get them an opportunity to groom at the Fulham academy," Haider told AFP.

Pakistan were among the top Asian footballing nations until the 1970s, but lack of government support and the overwhelming popularity of cricket left the game in the doldrums.

They now sit at a lowly 167th in FIFA rankings -- languishing below Bermuda, Palestine and the Solomon Islands -- but Haider claims signs of improvement are visible.

"We definitely have talent at our disposal. Look at our structure in which our Under-14 and Under-16 teams are doing well," he said.

"We won the South Asian Under-16 title in Nepal in 2011 and will defend it later this month."

British-born Pakistan international defender Zesh Rehman played for the Cottagers for several seasons, and Haider said there was more talent waiting to be unearthed.

"If Khan can send his scouts to Pakistan who can have a look at our talent and provide them with a facility at Fulham it would be a great help and the boys are excited at the prospect," said Haider.

Football is particularly popular in Pakistan's restive southwestern province of Baluchistan, but poverty and poor security mean few young players get a chance.

Khan, who has US citizenship and who already owns the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars, is ranked 179th in the Forbes 400 list of richest Americans, with an estimated worth of $2.5 billion. He made his fortune as a car parts manufacturer.

Haider said the fact Khan had taken over such a high-profile club would boost the game in Pakistan.

"It is very exciting for the football fraternity here that a Pakistani now owns top EPL club Fulham and we wish that under his ownership Fulham becomes a successful team," Haider said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/360126/?

WhiteJC

Player Kit Scheme

This month, Fulham FC Foundation gave 24 schools in the area free kit for their football teams as part of the Premier League Players' Kit Scheme.

The Premier League Players' Kit Scheme sees all Premier League players donating kit and equipment to junior teams. Every Premier League squad player donates £1,000 to provide a fund of £500,000 used entirely towards funding the kits, with an overall aim of allowing local junior teams the chance to positively connect with the Premier League and its players and assisting football at a grassroots level.

Merton Abbey, a school Fulham FC Foundation work very closely with, were one of those that received the personalised football kit from former player Mladen Petrić.

Stella Fry, Headteacher at Merton Abbey commented: "At last a full kit – all matching and eye catching! We have not been able to assemble a full kit in the past, but thanks to Mladen Petrić and Fulham FC Foundation we can now feel proud and hope to prove ourselves on the football field!"

For more information on Fulham FC Foundation, please call 0870 442 5432 or visit www.fulhamfc.com

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/16/player-kit-scheme?

WhiteJC

Fulham and Stoke set to miss out on Saint-Etienne full-back

Lille are heading the queue to land Stoke City and Fulham target Faouzi Ghoulam.

The Ligue 1 side are preparing for life without Lucas Digne, who is expected to join Paris St-Germain this summer, despite interest from Liverpool.

And Lille are now chasing Ghoulam, who has spent his entire career at Saint-Etienne.

The 22-year-old has racked up 70 league outings since making his Ligue 1 bow back in 2010, and he has already appeared three times at senior level for Algeria.

L'Equipe claim Saint-Etienne have already rejected two offers for the full-back from Torino, while Fulham and Stoke both monitored him earlier this year.

Read more: http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130716/fulham-and-stoke-set-miss-out-saint-etienne-full-back-201739?#ixzz2ZDb77u9d
Follow us: @talksport on Twitter
Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130716/fulham-and-stoke-set-miss-out-saint-etienne-full-back-201739?#mSS6AjjrT6o3TUpi.99

WhiteJC

Ticket Announcement

The Club is delighted to announce the ticket information for our opening six games of the Barclays Premier League season.

Arsenal and West Brom – on sale 10am Wednesday

Tickets will go on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Members at 10am tomorrow (Wednesday 17th July) for Fulham v Arsenal and Fulham v West Bromwich Albion. Our match against West Brom is a Kids for a Quid fixture and Season Ticket Holders will also be able to purchase two additional adult tickets for £10 each. Whilst tickets for the Arsenal game are expected to sell out quickly, any remaining tickets for Fulham v West Brom will be made available on General Sale from 10am on Wednesday 24th July.

Cardiff and Stoke – on sale 10am Thursday

Tickets for our games against both Cardiff City and Stoke City will become available to Season Ticket Holders and Members at 10am on Thursday 18th July. Members can purchase a ticket to the Stoke game for just £10 – saving £25 on the adult price. If you're interested in signing up for a Fulham Membership, you can do so today at fulhamfc.com/membership – prices are just £5 juniors and from £20 adults. Remaining tickets for Fulham v Stoke will be made available to buy on General Sale from 10am on Thursday 25th July.

Man Utd and Swansea – on sale 10am Friday

Season Ticket Holders and Members will be able to purchase tickets for Fulham v Manchester United and Fulham v Swansea from 10am on Friday 19th July. We're expecting very high demand for tickets for the Manchester United game with the majority of seats likely to sell out very quickly. Supporters hoping to attend are advised to act fast to ensure they don't miss out! Our Faithful Fulham Members will again be entitled to a £10 ticket for the Swansea match, saving £25 on the adult price. Visit fulhamfc.com/membership to find out more. Any remaining tickets for Fulham v Swansea will go on General Sale from 10am on Friday 26th July.

Season Tickets – less than £24

If you're still thinking about signing up for a Season Ticket, now is the time to buy. Availability will start to reduce as match tickets start to go on sale so buy today to secure the best seat. Prices start from just £449 adults and £220 juniors in all stands – that's less than £24 and £12 per game respectively. Season Ticket Holders will be entitled to a number of benefits across the season, you can find out more and buy today by visiting fulhamfc.com/seasontickets

Membership – £5 juniors and from £20 adults

We've re-launched our Membership packages this season to give supporters more choice. Juniors under 10 can now sign up for our Fulhamites Membership and Formation is our new package for ages 10-15. Adult Members can choose from a Ticket Priority Membership for just £20 or a Digital Membership for £30 which also includes a digital copy of our Club magazine – Fultime. There's great savings to be made across the season, with Adult Members able to save a total of £50 on tickets for the Stoke and Swansea games by purchasing a Membership and taking advantage of our £10 tickets.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/16/ticket-announcement?