watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

`Next level'

Started by Apprentice to the Maestro, July 17, 2013, 11:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apprentice to the Maestro

Over the summer we have been linked most often it seems with Parker, Huddlestone and Bent and now it seems that Odemwingie might be added to that list.

I am hoping that, as per usual, there is little or nothing in these rumours and that Jol is casting his eye elsewhere.

I am not even expecting a name as big as Berbatov or even Stekelenburg but I would like to find that we are seeking players with a bit more potential and more of a future than the likes of the above.

jelmo

'T-Hud' would be the only addition from that list I wouldnt mind getting. He is 26 (I think) and has a good range of passing. Also got a good shot on him. The other 2 you mentioned I really dont want. Need younger players and in Odemwengie's case, he is a total moron who I dont want associated with our team.

Roberty

We will know the truth when the club publishes a photo of a new player shaking hand with MJ and holding up their numbered shirt.

Until then everything is gossip and I suspect most of that is put about by agents trying to find a new home for one of their players. Starting a rumour is free advertising.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Lighthouse

I am reluctant to feel too carried away with the idea that we will be pushing for the next level this season. I think we will still just try to reach the top ten with no great investment in the team.

However it would be nice if we did start to attract a better class of younger player. Our next few signings, if there are any, will no doubt prove whuch way we are going.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Humbled

Quote from: Roberty on July 17, 2013, 12:06:16 PM
We will know the truth when the club publishes a photo of a new player shaking hand with MJ and holding up their numbered shirt.

Until then everything is gossip and I suspect most of that is put about by agents trying to find a new home for one of their players. Starting a rumour is free advertising.

is it really necessary to have grown men shake the hand of a statue?

Lighthouse

Quote from: Humbled on July 17, 2013, 12:42:11 PM
Quote from: Roberty on July 17, 2013, 12:06:16 PM

is it really necessary to have grown men shake the hand of a statue?

Content yourself it is only the hand of the statue they have to shake.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

jarv

I'm with mr. Lighthouse on this. The next level is to get back to where we were before last season.
Solid mid table.
stop leaking 3 or more goals regularly.
make the cottage strong again.
win away early in the season.
40 points by end Feb.
I was one of Jol's critics last season but it is clear now that lack of investment was most likely due to MAF wanting to sell. He did take a risk though, because if it wasn't for the win at Tottenham, could have been a relegation battle to the last day.If Fulham had gone down, what value then?

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 17, 2013, 12:39:41 PM
I am reluctant to feel too carried away with the idea that we will be pushing for the next level this season. I think we will still just try to reach the top ten with no great investment in the team.

However it would be nice if we did start to attract a better class of younger player. Our next few signings, if there are any, will no doubt prove whuch way we are going.

No, I agree that we are not looking for the next level this season but any player we do recruit should be the sort that could help us reach the next level over the next few years, not ones that will help us tread water.

I'm not sure the problems in recruiting were really down to lack of investment. Jol certainly tried to get both Boateng and Stekelenburg in earlier windows, windows in which we were prepared to pay money for them rather than get them on a free. I suspect it was at least partly down to misfortune.

Now having Berbatov and others like Stekelenburg means that we should be more attractive to potential targets.