watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Bert

Started by Peabody, July 19, 2013, 02:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Bert Trautman the Man City German born Goalkeeper who played on in a Wembley Cup Final has died.

Junichi

Misread this as 'Burt' and almost spit my water everywhere!

RIP Bert Trautman, he soldiered on in that final even though his neck was broken. Absolutely as hard as nails.

Fernhurst

Remember it well. Just rubbed his neck and carried on.

Blokes were harder in Black and White!

Rest in Peace Bert, legend in the North West

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

cmg

Excellent keeper and a very nice bloke.
As has been said, in those days a little thing like a broken neck didn't stop a man from playing on.

A very early memory for me watching on tv. I remember my Mum saying, 'Huh, he's only putting it on,' and being disgusted that he didn't even stop rubbing his neck when he was going up to collect his medal from the Queen. Difficult one to convince, my Ma.

The Manchester City centre-forward, future England manager Don Revie, played in the withdrawn, Hidegkuti inspired, role which was considered pretty sophisticated tactics at the time.

Rupert

He was a former POW who simply stayed here after being released, wasn't he?
It says much about the man that a former enemy serviceman became so popular.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

LBNo11

...in January 1950, the former German paratrooper and POW came to Craven Cottage for his first game in London with Manchester City whilst the painful memories of World War II were still fresh in the memories of Londoners and the rest of the country. We beat City 1 - 0 and their goalkeeper had had an outstanding game, their custodian Bert Trautmann left the field to a standing ovation of City and Fulham players and fans alike, something Trautmann remembered all his life, and was for him the turning point in his acceptance by the British public who embraced his genius. Tonight on the Yesterday channel they repeated the Bert Trautmann story, his last comments were that because of the acceptance by the British public, he felt more English than German. Today he died aged 89, I didn't see him play, he retired from playing in 1964, but my father, who fought against the Germans in three theatres of the war told me all about him and mentioned how great a player he was. RIP Bert...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

The Bronsons

One of those people about whom you never hear a bad word. RIP Bert - never saw you play or met you, but what a story, what a life.

filham

Quote from: LBNo11 on July 19, 2013, 09:45:11 PM
...in January 1950, the former German paratrooper and POW came to Craven Cottage for his first game in London with Manchester City whilst the painful memories of World War II were still fresh in the memories of Londoners and the rest of the country. We beat City 1 - 0 and their goalkeeper had had an outstanding game, their custodian Bert Trautmann left the field to a standing ovation of City and Fulham players and fans alike, something Trautmann remembered all his life, and was for him the turning point in his acceptance by the British public who embraced his genius. Tonight on the Yesterday channel they repeated the Bert Trautmann story, his last comments were that because of the acceptance by the British public, he felt more English than German. Today he died aged 89, I didn't see him play, he retired from playing in 1964, but my father, who fought against the Germans in three theatres of the war told me all about him and mentioned how great a player he was. RIP Bert...

Yes , I was at that match. It was a terrific performance by Bert, by far the best display of goalkeeping ever seen and the adulation of fans and our players after the match was unique.

In my book there has never been a keeper to match Trautman and he proved to be such a gentleman and good ambassador for the sport.