watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dembele, for those who have seen him a bit

Started by fulhamben, July 28, 2013, 07:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

I see he is constantly doing well for the 18s so my question is for those who regularly get to see him ( more than me anyway) if not the senior squad, should he not at least be pushed up to the 21s team to see if he can reproduce his form for them, or would this actually hinder his progression

CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

SouthfieldWhite

Ive seen him quite a bit, and as with most young players, its about getting that cosistancy in their game.

id defiantly give him a go in the u21s, but then again id like to see a few of the u18s pushed up

We still have talent like patrick Roberts who not long ago turned 16, and think he needs another season in the u18s so he can grow and get physically a bit stronger

We have some great people in the academy and im sure they know alot better than me when these players are ready

The key is, when they think they are ready to step up to the first team, will Jol give them the chance ?

epsomraver

cmg

It's a good question. This, having seen him play several times, would be my take on it.

He is 17 years old (just!) and, although exceedingly talented, does not demand an instant first team slot. Nor are circumstances such in the first team that would require him to play there.

So, u21 or u18? Unlike some of our outstanding youngsters, Dembele is physically big enough to compete with the older players but his talent is still in a raw state. In some ways I would liken him to Mesca two years ago (although Dembele plays a different position and is potentially an even better player) - fantastic talent but often looks to have no idea what to do with it. He has a great deal to learn. Fortunately the coaching available is excellent (that is why top young players come here).

The u21s are currently fielding Trotta, Woodrow, Tankovic up front (although Trotta may make the first-team squad) so there is no immediate panic for another striker there and Dembele may benefit from another season playing in front of the likes of Hyndman and Roberts. Unless circumstances change a gradual approach may be the best bet. Whatever is decided, his progress will be one of the most interesting features of the coming season.

elgreenio

definitely needs another year at u18 football. Last year he was almost always played with Tankovic behind him pulling the strings. This year it'll be Williams up top with him so he'll have to do a bit more of the dropping deep and getting involved to really round his game off.

He'll more than likely pick up a few u21 games this year anyway i'd imagine.
touch my camera through the fence