watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (01/08/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 01, 2013, 04:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulgariawhite

Between Sidwell and Cattermole we may get 15 games each whilst the other one is suspended. Surely we can do better than this!!!

WhiteJC

Brother teams up with Fulham FC

Manchester-based tech products manufacturer Brother UK has agreed a sponsorship deal with Fulham FC.

It will become the club's official technology partner for the 2013/14 season with a view to a possible three-year deal.

Brother has secured a variety of marketing and advertising rights around Fulham FC and will dedicate resources to the club's charity arm.

The company will support Fulham with its technology and communications products and services at the club's Craven Cottage stadium and training ground.

Phil Jones, managing director of Brother UK, said: "We're delighted to announce this sponsorship at an exciting time for both Brother UK and Fulham FC.

"Partnership was always the key word for us going into this relationship and we've been extremely impressed at how eager the club has been to explore opportunities for integrating Brother products across its business.

"It promises to be a really exciting season both on and off the pitch."

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/north-west/95578-?

WhiteJC

Brother UK Joins The Team

Brother UK, the leading information, communications and technology brand, has agreed a deal to become Fulham Football Club's 'Official Technology Partner' for the 2013/14 Barclays Premier League season.

The partnership sees the UK subsidiary of the worldwide company join on a year-long contract, with a view to a possible three-year deal. As the Club's 'Official Technology Partner', Brother UK has secured a variety of marketing and advertising rights around Fulham Football Club.

In addition, Brother UK will dedicate a wealth of resources to the Club's charity arm, the Fulham FC Foundation, including its Schools Enterprise Programmes. A key part of the deal involves Brother UK supporting Fulham FC with its range of technology and communications products and services across the Club's Craven Cottage stadium and Motspur Park training ground.

Products such as Brother's OmniJoin web conferencing will be introduced as part of Fulham FC's business operations, whilst Brother's innovation team will be working with the Club's performance and coaching staff to investigate new ways to support on-pitch performance and analysis.

Phil Jones, Managing Director of Brother UK said: "We're delighted to announce this sponsorship at an exciting time for both Brother UK and Fulham FC. Partnership was always the key word for us going into this relationship and we've been extremely impressed at how eager the Club has been to explore opportunities for integrating Brother products across its business. It promises to be a really exciting season both on and off the pitch."

James Lawton-Hill, Head of Marketing for Brother UK, added: "The partnership provides huge exposure for the brand both in the UK and overseas but we always wanted this sponsorship to be much more than just a badging exercise. From the boardroom to the training pitch, we'll be looking at ways to add value and improve performance whilst we're particularly excited about working with the Fulham FC Foundation on its Schools Enterprise Programme. Football represents a great opportunity to get children interested in business so it's an initiative we're really committed to."

Alistair Mackintosh, Fulham Football Club, CEO, added: "Brother UK, by its own admission, is a company dedicated to the principle of continuous improvement throughout every aspect of its operation. A principle which we feel epitomises our actions both on and off the pitch. We are delighted that they have decided to partner with us and look forward to their involvement in everything from the products we use around the Training Ground and Craven Cottage, to the resources used as part of our educational remit within the local community."

Picture L-R: Andrew Forsyth, Senior General Manager, UK Sales & Marketing, Brother UK; Alistair Mackintosh, CEO, Fulham Football Club; Martin Jol, First Team Manager, Fulham Football Club; Phil Jones, Managing Director, Brother UK; James Lawton-Hill, Head of Marketing, Brother UK.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/01/brother-joins-the-team?

WhiteJC

Fulham First XI

Former Fulham left-back Rufus Brevett takes us through his list of footballing firsts.

First match
It was a Derby County game but I can't really remember who it was against – it was definitely at the Baseball Ground though. Even though I ended up being a Nottingham Forest fan, a Derby match was my first because all my friends used to go. I think I probably would have been about eight or nine at the time.

First club supported
Forest were winning European cups at the time and they were a really decent side so that's who I first supported. All my mates supported Derby so I was a bit different and decided to support their rivals.

First boots
They were Puma ones. I think they were called Puma Royale, or Puma SP18, or something like that.

First club
I signed for Derby when I was 14 or 15, but got released at 16 which is probably another reason why I don't really like Derby County that much! I was actually released by Arthur Cox who was the Director of Football at Fulham when I signed for Fulham which was quite interesting.

First manager
It was Dave Cusack at Doncaster Rovers. When I went to Doncaster as a 17-year-old, having been released from Derby, within three or four months I was in the first team and it was Dave Cusack who gave me my first taste of professional football.

First position
I started off as a striker and then went to left-wing. I first played left-back when I was on a trial – I thought it would be easier as it wouldn't be as much running up and down!

First trophy
That would have been with Fulham when we won Division Two. Another trophy I remember fondly was the Intertoto Cup which we won over two legs. Andy Melville didn't play in the second game so I was captain on the day. When we won, I said to Mel that he had to come and help me with the trophy because it was so big and heavy! I couldn't believe the size of it!

First Fulham match
It was against Grimsby Town. I'd signed halfway through the season from Queens Park Rangers and I think we drew at Grimsby on my debut.

First Fulham goal
My first goal for Fulham was against Stoke City in a 1-0 win. I didn't get many in my career so for my first one for Fulham to be the winner was a very good feeling. It was a good goal as well!

First shirt number
My first shirt number was the number three. We didn't have squad numbers when I first started but it was left-back number three.

First footballing hero
I liked Glenn Hoddle and Kevin Keegan but being a Nottingham Forest fan and a left-back, it had to be Stuart Pearce. When I played against Forest, he was playing and when I shook his hand after the game I was desperate to ask for his shirt but I was so in awe that I ended up just walking off.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/01/fulham-first-xi?

WhiteJC

Season Preview 13/14: FULHAM

Fulham are far from a yo-yo club but in terms of changing fortunes they have had a pretty manic past few seasons. Three years ago in the 2009/10 they reached the Europa League final in an astonishing cup run that saw them knock out teams such as Juventus. Recently they haven't been able to recreate that sparkle and last summer they lost talisman Clint Dempsey to Tottenham. He was joined in the exodus to White Hart Lane by the arguably even more influential Moussa Dembélé. The two were often the stand-out performers for Fulham and losing them was a big blow.

Martin Jol always has a trick up his sleeve though and he brought in Manchester United's Dimitar Berbatov for a very cheap looking £5 million, a deal that most of the Premier League was envious of. Berbatov's supreme talent shone at Craven Cottage last season and he enjoyed a very successful debut season. He has been ably supported in attack by Costa Rican Bryan Ruiz who, although inconsistent at times, has the talent to create pure magic.

Last season was a disappointing one for Fulham as they finished 12th and relative Premier League new boys Swansea, West Ham and Norwich all finished above them. For a while Fulham were arguably the strongest of the "mini Premier League", the cluster of clubs just outside the top six or seven. Newcastle posed a threat but they seem to be faltering a bit and now West Brom and the aforementioned trio have picked up the gauntlet. Fulham will look to correct that this season.

Last Season: 12th
Odds: 2000/1
In: Sascha Riether (Cologne, £1.3m), Derek Boateng (Dnipro, undisclosed), Fernando Amorebieta (Athletic Bilbao, free), Maarten Stekelenburg (Roma, undisclosed), Ange-Freddy Plumain (Lens, free)
Out: Chris Baird (released), Simon Davies (released) Mahamadou Diarra (released), Mladen Petric (released), Mark Schwarzer (Chelsea, free), Tom Donegan (released), Alex Smith (Swindon, free), Dan Burn (Birmingham, loan)

What's new?

Well the most important change has been the change of ownership at the club. Long-term owner Mohammed Al-Fayed has finally sold the club and as he has converted the club's loans into equity they are now virtually debt free. This is a huge boost for Fulham as it will provide them with far more scope in the transfer market. The new man in charge is Shahid Khan who is the owner of NFL side Jacksonville Jaguars. Khan's first intentions have looked promising and hopefully he can become one of the more successful American owners in the Premier League.

In terms of personnel changes Fulham looked to move fast and wrap up their business early. They released a number of first team players and picked up Fernando Amorebieta and Derek Boateng on free transfers from Athletic Bilbao and Dnipro respectively. Amorebieta is an accomplished centre-half with good ball skills and he should be a big boost to the Cottagers' defence. I'm looking forward to seeing the Venezuelan play alongside captain Brede Hangeland. Boateng is a tough tackling midfielder who will compliment some of Fulham's more technical midfielders. Although he has now turned 30 I believe he still has a lot to offer.

The two financial outlays have been making Sasha Riether's loan from Cologne permanent and signing Maarten Stekenlenburg from Roma. Riether was one of Fulham's best players last season and the £1.3 million fee paid is something of a bargain in my eyes. Stekenlenburg has been around for a long time now although he is still just 30 and in goalkeeping terms that is quite young. The man he replaces, Mark Schwarzer was 40 and clearly Jol felt the time was right to bring in a younger keeper. I'm sure Jol would have loved to keep Schwarzer at the club but obviously the Australian international wanted to challenge himself at his new club, Chelsea.

Tactics/starting XI

Last season Martin Jol often employed a 4-4-1-1 formation with Bryan Ruiz starting off Berbatov and I'd expect the same front two to continue this season. Stekenlenburg will take over from Schwarzer in goal and I'd expect the same back four as last season with Amorebieta playing with Hangeland at centre-back. Fulham clearly see Matthew Briggs as an eventual replacement for John Arne Riise but I reckon the Norwegian will continue this season.

I'm a big fan of Alex Kacaniklic and I'd like to see the Swede play more often on the left flank and I would presume that Ashkan Dejagah will play on the opposite flank. Kerim Frei is a very talented young winger and he is another promising player at Fulham. New boy Derek Boateng will be competition with Steve Sidwell amongst others for a starting spot. There is potential with Fulham to play an expansive 4-3-3 this season with Ruiz and Kacaniklic flanking Berbatov and an additional central midfield. Having said that I'm not entirely sure Jol would ever take this option.

Key player

Fulham have a couple of standout players in their squad but none more so than Dimitar Berbatov. The Bulgarian only cost £5 million from Manchester United and he scored 15 goals in the league last season. He has always had a tremendous touch and he hasn't lost that over the years. His cool and composed persona in the penalty box also hasn't changed. When he fires Fulham play well and they look a whole lot more dangerous.

Keep an eye on

Fulham's other creative influence is Bryan Ruiz and the Costa Rican's influence over games often goes a long way to determining the result. His left foot can be a deadly weapon at time and after two seasons adjusting to life in England he has to start producing consistent performances.

Club captain Brede Hangeland has been nothing short of a rock since he joined five and a half years ago. In the past he has been linked away to the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool but he has stayed loyal to Fulham each time. His towering height makes him favourite to win most aerial duels but despite his height he still surprisingly good with the ball at his feet.

Opening fixtures

Fulham have been handed a tricky opening five fixtures and they open the season away at Sunderland and that is possibly going to be a different prospect to last season. Paolo Di Canio has had the transfer window to improve his squad as he sees fit and he has added some top players. Arsenal are the first visitors to Craven Cottage and despite Fulham's strength at home that will still be a hard game.

After that they are back up to the North-East to face Newcastle before they host West Brom at home. After that they have to go to Stamford Bridge for a derby against Chelsea. The games between these two have produced some crackers recently and a Jose Mourinho inspired Chelsea will be a big danger.

Where will they finish?

Fulham are one of those clubs that could realistically finish anywhere between 8th/9th or down in a relegation battle. If their key men stay fit and perform regularly I see no reason they couldn't qualify for a European place. They will probably end up closer to 10th or 11th in a similar vein to last season.

BPF Prediction: 10th

http://backpagefootball.com/season-preview-1314-fulham/60779/?

WhiteJC

Closing In On Cattermole

Fulham's midfield options could be boosted with the signing of Sunderland's Lee Cattermole, with reports claiming the club are "closing in" on him.

Cattermole has basically been told by Sunderland that he doesn't feature in their future plans so can move on if they find a buyer and a reported £2.5m fee would be enough to secure his services by all account.

The former England U21 international, notorious for his ability to pick up red cards, is a good footballer but is he what the club are in need of? If indeed Fulham are "in talks" with him you back the judgement of Martin Jol wouldn't you!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=326876#ixzz2ajEq7tm0

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: Herman_MunsterRd on August 01, 2013, 05:32:06 AM
Shame about Ryan Williams...really wanted him to go on and do a Frei. Heard him interviewed from the latest U20 world cup and he was saying he hoped that his performances helped him move up the ranks at Fulham (as opposed to being a shop window for a transfer). Oh well...he could have a good year and earn a new contract yet I suppose.

Good player but an obvious step down compared to our other young wingers.

Herman_MunsterRd

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on August 01, 2013, 06:30:14 PM

Good player but an obvious step down compared to our other young wingers.

Yeah... agreed.

It's just as an Aussie Fulham supporter he is our final hope.

It'll be weird having no Aussies left. Who will man the bar?