watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (03/08/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 03, 2013, 06:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Does the move from Fulham to Chelsea make sense?

New Chealsea goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is confident that he can play an important role at Stamford Bridge this upcoming season.

Many critics are questioning whether the move by Jose Mourinho to bring the 40-year-old to Chelsea makes sense for the Blues. Schwarzer had five terrific seasons with Fulham but is now considered to be past his prime. New manager Mourinho believes the goalkeeper has plenty of good matches left in him and was the man responsible for convincing him to join the London club.

"I had a conversation with the manager and he told me his intentions for the season," said Schwarzer. "He told me it's an unbelievable club and this was a great opportunity to join such a fantastic club, so I decided to give it a go. I didn't think twice after speaking with him. I'd had some doubts, but once I'd spoken to the manager those doubts disappeared pretty quickly."

The Aussie will obviously start the season behind Petr Cech. The Czech international has served as the Blues keeper since 2004, making 292 appearances. Bringing in Schwarzer hasn't been a problem for Cech one bit. The two appear to getting along great so far despite their different goalkeeping styles.

"Hopefully I can learn from him and maybe he might learn from me too. I think we can complement each other very well." Schwarzer said.

Schwarzer made his debut for Chelsea over the weekend in a 4-1 victory against a Malaysia Xi in Kuala Lumpur. He continues to note that he is feeling better than ever even at 40.

"I feel incredibly well," he stated over the weekend. "They say the older you get you try to hide your age. But I am not trying to hide my age. I am 40 years old but I feel incredibly well and I am holding my own, no problems whatsoever."

For now the move by Mourinho looks like a smart one as they continue to develop their young talent Jamal Blackman.

The question is if Cech struggles early on, will the new manager feel the urge to start the Aussie in net? I can't see this happening, much like I can't see the sense in a title-challenging team bringing in a 40-year-old, no matter how good he feels.

http://www.footballfancast.com/premiership/chelsea/does-the-move-from-fulham-to-chelsea-make-sense?

WhiteJC

Still not enough! Fulham increase bid for Bent but Villa want more money for striker

Fulham have made an improved offer for Aston Villa striker Darren Bent.

Having seen a £4million bid turned down earlier this summer, the Cottagers have returned with an offer of £4.75million plus add-ons for the 29-year-old but it is believed that Villa want £6million.

Newcastle were also keen on signing the former England international earlier this summer but recently dropped their interest.

Wanted: Villa striker Darren Bent (left), pictured with Stephen Ireland, could be on his way to Fulham

Bent is keen for first-team football ahead of next year's World Cup and believes playing regularly could help him feature in Roy Hodgson's England plans.

Signed by Aston Villa in 2011 for £24m from Sunderland, Bent managed just three goals for the club last season as he was dropped by manager Paul Lambert in favour of Christian Benteke.

Should a move to Craven Cottage go ahead, Bent would become boss Martin Jol's sixth signing of the summer so far.

Goalscorer: Bent has found the net 21 times in 54 appearances for the Midlands-based club

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2383615/Fulham-increase-bid-Aston-Villa-striker-Darren-Bent.html#ixzz2asa3NfpN
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Is This Fulham Signing The Best Value For Money Transfer Of The Summer?

Fulham like a lot of clubs in the Premier League have looked to conduct their business early on in the window. They have signed Derek Boateng and Fernando Amorebieta on frees and Maarten Stekelenburg from Roma. These are all promising signings which will help a squad that is going through a transition phase. Fulham are gradually improving the quality of the players, but there is one signing that trumps the lot. Sascha Riether.

When Sascha Riether was signed on loan from FC Koln last season not that much was known about him in England. However, one season later, Fulham fans were desperate for Riether to be signed permanently and at the end of the campaign they got their wish when the German transferred permanently for £1.3 million. Riether was deservedly Fulham's Player of the Year last year ahead of the likes of Berbatov and Ruiz. The two attacking stars often stole the headline but Riether's consistent performances from right-back were what impressed the Fulham faithful the most.

Whether it was shutting out left-wingers or terrorising his opposite full-back Riether was a joy to watch and he is probably one of the stronger right-backs in the league right now. He finished with a Performance Score of 949 which was comfortably the highest of any defender, 140 points above the next highest Brede Hangeland. It also meant that he was the third highest points scorer at the club behind Berbatov and Ruiz. He completed 85% of his passes last season and won 81% of his tackles by comparison his opposite full-back John Arne Riise won 73% of his tackles and completed just 76% of his passes.

Everyone talks about getting value from your players, and in the Premier League, clubs are often guilty of paying over the odds. The signing of Michu last season by Swansea re-confirmed most clubs' desires to find that elusive player to push you away from your rivals but for a nominal fee. Most clubs will look to goalscorers because goals win matches but in Riether, Fulham have a made a really top signing. £1.3 million is virtually peanuts especially when you take into consideration the new TV deal and to pick up a player of Riether's class for that fee is great business.

http://squawka.com/news/2013/08/02/is-this-fulham-signing-the-best-value-for-money-transfer-of-the-summer/2013080215657?

WhiteJC

Everton and Fulham AWOL target in Bundesliga switch

Junior Malanda has recently been linked with a move to the Premier League - but instead will join VfL Wolfsburg this summer.

This month three Premier League teams have been linked with a controversial switch for Zulte-Waregem midfielder Bernard 'Junior' Malanda-Adje.

One of the stars of a team that went to the brink of a shock Belgian League title glory last season, the teenager was said to be keen on a move away from the unfashionable outfit this summer - and he was prepared to go to extreme means to get his own way.

Utilising a little known Belgian youth labour law, the 18-year-old managed to break his contract with the club - essentially making him a free agent.

The player went AWOL as the club tried to convince him to stay and an exit became more and more likely.

Now while around £500k in compensation was likely to be expected from any tribunal, it would still be a bargain for a player considered one of the top talents in Belgium. His future at the Belgian club looked sealed last week, when Zulte confirmed he was to be omitted from their Champions League squad for the upcoming season. It was at that point, it became very clear he would not be staying at the club.

At that point Fulham were quickly made the favourites for his coveted signature - seemingly taking over from Everton and Arsenal in the running for the player.

But any hope of seeing him playing Premier League football in the foreseeable future appear to be dead - as VfL Wolfsburg announced his signing this week.

The clubs general manager Klaus Allofs confirmed the news yesterday:

''We are actually sorting out deals of a transfer. We have been tracking the player for quite a long period of time. He has been defensive midfielder as much as a central defender, and has been in great form in both roles for his club."

Since then the deal has been confirmed - however he will return to his former club on loan until the end of 2013. He will then carry on his development at the Volkswagen Arena until 2018.

Speaking of the move Malanda himself stated:

"The Bundesliga is one of the strongest leagues in the world. I want to take the next steps here."

It is yet another victory for the Bundesliga over the Premier League in the race for new players this summer and Malanda certainly has the ability to be a player these teams regret getting hold of.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/08/02/everton-and-fulham-awol-target-in-bundesliga-switch/?

WhiteJC

Fulham release their new 2013-14 away kit, which has a very retro look [Pictures]

Fulham have unveiled their brand new 2013-14 away kit on Friday, and the strip has a very retro look about it.

Launched with a hashtag campaign #takemeback, the red and white is based on the 2000-01 away kit in which the team were promoted to the Premiership after sealing a record 101 points tally.

As explained on the Fulham website:

In what we consider to be one of our most exciting kit launches yet, the Club has managed to secure the services of Fulham legends Kit Symons, Luis Boa Morte and Rufus Brevett to be a part of the campaign.

The kit is made by Adidas.

Pictures of the new Fulham away kit are below.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/fulham-release-their-new-2013-14-away-kit-which-has-a-vert-retro-look-pictures/?

WhiteJC

Fulham launch £5m bid for Bent
Fulham look to secure Darren Bent with an improved offer

Premier League side Fulham have launched an improved bid rumored to be somewhere around £5 million for out-of-favor Aston Villa striker Darren Bent. The club has been in a race for the English international's signature as they look to take some of the pressure off Dimitar Berbatov up front and to add a proven attacking option to their club, according to Sky Sports.

Fulham have already seen a bid around £4 million rejected for the striker but have reportedly upped their offer to somewhere in the £5 million range hoping that it will be enough to land the man who has scored 71 career Premier League goals.

The 29-year-old Bent has moved around the English Premier League quite a bit in his career, starting with Championship clubs Ipswich Town and Charlton before joining north London outfit Tottenham for two seasons, where he performed well. Bent was then sold to Sunderland in 2009 where he played for two seasons before finally moving to Aston Villa in 2011. It looks as if the striker is set to move to a new Premier League side once again with Fulham apparently in the lead for the attacker.

Bent, who does not drink any alcohol, was born in England to Jamaican parents but decided to play for the English national team after coming up through the Ipswich Town youth ranks and spending his entire career playing for English clubs. Bent will likely continue along that trend as he has Fulham and Newcastle hot on his trail.

Newcastle, however, may end their pursuit of Bent after agreeing to a fee for Lyon attacker Bafetimbi Gomis earlier today and reportedly have QPR's Loic Remy within their sights as well.

- See more at: http://www.premiershiptalk.com/2013/08/02/fulham-launch-5m-bid-for-bent/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PremiershipTalk+%28Premiership+Talk%29#sthash.KjEE6u0v.dpuf

WhiteJC

Seattle give Dempsey update
Seattle Sounders refuse to draw on speculation around Dempsey

Amid speculation linking Tottenham's Clint Dempsey with a surprising move back to Major League Soccer, Seattle Sounders boss Sigi Schmid has confirmed to reporters that there's nothing to discuss regarding a potential transfer. The former Los Angeles Galaxy manager was responding to claims that Dempsey could sign for the Sounders as the club have an open Designated Player spot, but despite his admiration for the player Schmid updated reporters that no transfer talks are underway.

"We're always interested in good players first off," Schmid said to Sports Radio KJR in Seattle, according to Sky Sports.

"Right now, there's really nothing to it, there's nothing to say. But we are in a position to add a Designated Player to our team before August 8th.

"I know Clint. I talked to him when he was here when he was playing against Panama. I always follow what he does and his career and what he did in MLS, but there's nothing there that I can say right now.

"We're always looking for good players. You can't really close the door on anything, but right now there's nothing that's nailed down and concrete."

The attacker, who plied his trade at Craven Cottage club for five seasons, was solid for Spurs last season after joining from Fulham. The American international was solid for Fulham for five seasons, appearing in 184 matches, netting 50 times and becoming one of the top Americans in the world.

Rumors of Dempsey leaving White Hart Lane began last month, when The Times first reported that manager Andre Villas Boas transfer listed the former Fulham player. Dempsey has seen increased competition arrive at the club this summer, with Paulinho filling the center of midfield and new arrival Nacer Chadli providing competition on the wings.

The 30-year-old attacker has scored 72 goals for Fulham and Spurs the past two seasons, and could return to the MLS, where he scored 26 times for the New England Revolution. Dempsey appeared in the 2010 World Cup for the United States, and was one of the best players for the American side.

- See more at: http://www.premiershiptalk.com/2013/08/02/seattle-give-dempsey-update/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PremiershipTalk+%28Premiership+Talk%29#sthash.uO5zuuyN.dpuf

WhiteJC

QPR boss reveals why he wants Fulham player

QPR boss Harry Redknapp reckons that buying English speaking players will increase the club's chances of bouncing back to the Premier League.

Chris Baird (pic) is the next likely homegrown acquisition, with the former Fulham player training at Hoops since Thursday, and on the cusp of signing a one-year deal.

Harry had his tongue partially in the corner of his mouth, but was serious the type of play anywhere stoical character as represented by the Northern Ireland international was the order of the day at Loftus Road.

The manager joked: "Chris keeps passing to his own team, which is a new game we're trying to play this year.

"He can play left-back, right-back, centre-half midfield; he's a bright type. He only came in Thursday but I've always liked him.

"The players I've signed so far all speak the same language. You say 'good morning' and they say 'good morning' back. I want lads who want to be here and with that attitude."

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-qpr/2013/08/02/82029-33685075/?#ixzz2ascdhMv7

WhiteJC

More Bent Talk

The Darren Bent saga drags on, with Fulham seemingly the only horse left in the race!

Newcastle's interest is said to have "cooled" whereas Fulham have increased an offer to around £5m for the Villa striker but that still might not be enough to convince them to sell the player they signed for £18m just a couple of years back?

It's a situation that just needs resolving one way or the other now as it's become very tiresome!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=327155#ixzz2ascnfmHy