watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lets be Contraversial

Started by Peabody, August 06, 2013, 01:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Oh dear, what jokes? You will be relieved to know, that I know longer post jokes, though what that has got to do with this thread, I do not know.

Peabody

Well I asked for controversy and I've got it in spades have'nt I?

Aaron

I agree largely with Peabody here but there's a flip-side to the coin..

It's rosy now and has been more or less as long as I have been an active fan but that doesn't mean that we should excuse the fact that we are about to go into our second season without a replacement for Danny Murphy and have two players who are guaranteed a place in the starting 11 regardless of their form, or the form of others around them or for that matter, what impact it has on the team as a whole..

The amount of money, work and effort by the countless people it has taken to get us to where we are now is incalculable.  We had a very bad time of it in the early 90s, nearly went under, these people have brought us back from the brink and taken us further than we ever thought we could..  Is it fair that their blood sweat and tears might have been for nothing if we go another season without a midfield and sporting a very-pretty, but ultimately underwhelming strike force?

I think we're entitled to moan to an extent.. You can't *really* argue against those moaning about the lack of a CM or compatible strike partner for Berbatov.. Football management isn't some sort of black art that only those getting paid for it understand, at least not at this sort of fundamental level.. It's obvious to anyone with even a passing interest in our game we are weak in these areas.  There aren't MAJOR problems with our squad but we're so agonisingly close to being "competitive" that it's going to be an extreme frustration if we don't step up and take our chances.

HatterDon

There's not much point trying to deduce anything from pre-season friendlies. I would think that the Real Betis match is a prime example of why the match was -- in absolutely no sense of the word -- a real competitive match. In the second half there were at least 10 substitutions made, yet the referee saw fit to give absolutely no added time in the second half. This in a 1-1 draw. There were no complaints because both squads had had enough of a workout.

Predicting how well we're going to do on the basis of matches like these is as silly as trying to prove that someone is a good signing based on highly selective YouTube clips, or as silly as calling for the club to sign somebody because he performs well in Football Manager. And none of us on this site would ever do either of those silly things.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RidgeRider

Quote from: Peabody on August 06, 2013, 04:18:55 PM
Oh dear, what jokes? You will be relieved to know, that I know longer post jokes, though what that has got to do with this thread, I do not know.

Mr. Peabody, that was from TheDon. Pay no attention.

HatterDon

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 06, 2013, 11:34:12 PM
Quote from: Peabody on August 06, 2013, 04:18:55 PM

Mr. Peabody, that was from TheDon. Pay no attention.

would that we could all pay no attention.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Kent Cassandra

It is on record that The Don thinks that people like Peabody are fawning parasites (sychophants).
RidgeRider is right...best ignore
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

Peabody

Don't know whether to be pleased or insulted

epsomraver

So who is this Don that he can make generalised insults to people he does not know?

Rupert

Quote from: epsomraver on August 07, 2013, 02:27:29 PM
So who is this Don that he can make generalised insults to people he does not know?

More to the point, do we care?
I was told someone had insulted me on another board over comments made on this board. I had a look at the insult. I laughed. What the poster had failed to realise was that he was insulting someone who uses an avatar of a children's story character and who is not actually called "Rupert" in real life. In other words, his spite was completely wasted. As I told the mod who put me on to this, I have had far worse thrown at me face to face, on the football pitch during my b'stard in the black days (and I then went  096.gig in reply), so I am not going to worry about what some keyboard warrior types out in the privacy of his own bedroom.
At least it keeps them off the streets.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Vinnieffc

Peabody - Please keep posting the jokes !!!! Some are  :Get Coat gif: but then again you come up with the occasional  064.gif.. I'll miss 'em...

Jimpav

Although I agree to disagree with some of your more 'controversial' posts I would sorely miss your jokes. They often raise a smile and add some much needed light relief to the board.

Berserker

My brother had a Rupert annual and i can clearly remember a cartoon strip in it about the teddy bear Rupert going down a little door in a tree trunk to visit elves dressed in green. I was quite confused by all of that as a small child and thought it was all rather odd. Mind when i was small i used to sleep with my fingers in my ears, this was because somebody told me earwigs eat your brains when you are a sleep and i beleived them.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.