News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey not motivated by money I heard some of you say...

Started by MikeCdawg, August 07, 2013, 03:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Quote from: cottagecornerreject on August 08, 2013, 04:15:04 AM
I hate the move as I'm sure Kilinsmann does. Hard to justify you're team captain setting a good example by stepping down a league and stepping down in competition in a world cup year.

Could not agree more, especially in the WC run-up year. But, as Mr W mentioned, the overall level of skill in the MLS has risen significantly over the last decade especially, and so, perhaps, it isn't such a step down as it might have been 11 years ago.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: simplyfulham on August 08, 2013, 09:41:55 AM
mcscratch, I don't mean to knock the MLS. In all honesty I think it's great in terms of enjoyment. You guys get to see some genuine stars as their careers are winding down. Watching players like Henry and Beckham before we lose them altogether is a fantastic thing.

My only argument is that by improving the best players in your league by bringing them in (eg. Dempsey UK -> USA) you're not improving the worst players in the league. The disparity in the league only becomes more obvious.

That's what I mean when I say you cannot engineer competition.

It's a little like QPR and the takeover. With all the money they had they went out and bought top class talent to add to their squad.

As good as all the Granero's, the Julio Cesar's and the Remy's are.. They still can't make the Clint Hill's, the Shaun Derry's and the Bradley Orr's any better then they are. If you get me? You just see the difference between them even more.

That's a little like the MLS at the moment. Although it's going in the right direction, and I'm sure Dempsey will find the MLS in a better state than he left it some 8 years ago, it's still got a lot further to go.
I get your point, but the QPR debacle doesn't really support it.  QPR's failure to avoid relegation could be attributed to the manager, to bad chemistry, to hastily assembling a collection of individual talent under the assumption they would bond and meld.  It wasn't so much of a "team" as a collection of selfish individuals each doing their own thing.  But to your larger point about bringing in quality 'foreign' players at the zenith of their careers, well, you could flip that argument around.  Infusing better foreign players raises the standard of play.  Ever played tennis with someone a little better than you are?  Notice how it elevates your own play? Conversely, when you play tennis with someone noticeably less-skilled, it drags down your own level of play.  So, I think it's actually good that foreign players are finding their way to the MLS.  When you see and experience superior play around you, you have a benchmark to meet.  And it's easier to meet it when it plays 20 yards away from you...

cottagecornerreject

Quote from: Forever Fulham on August 08, 2013, 05:49:02 AM
I really miss him not being in a Fulham shirt.  But, then, I miss Dickson Etuhu, too, so I'm not to be trusted.  Sure, the money had to factor into it.   The wages, guaranteed at that, are so high for a U.S. player.  You have to think of your family.  He's 30.  But think of it this way: He's walking into more pressure than if he had stayed at Spurs and had to fight for minutes.   Maybe he conclude that Spurs weren't likely to get into Champions League at the end of the upcoming season.  Much is expected of him playing for Seattle, and he knows it.  He's setting him self up for a lot more pressure as the poster boy for the league now.  I wonder if his wife was homesick.  In any event, there are reports being floated that he is already anticipating, with approval, loan out arrangements back to the EPL when MLS season ends each year.  So he may very well have planned to keep one foot in the EPL waters.  I won't miss the shots and petty put-downs on the fan boards over his departure.  If the man walked on water, half of the posters would attempt to convince the rest that he can't swim.

He's actually walked into a lose lose. If he plays well it's oh well it's against the MLS. If he plays poorly it's look the lack of competition has made him rusty. Makes his move even more curious. Anyone see his press conference holding up the sounders jersey. The look on his face screams of a man saying he sold all his ambitions for a paycheck. Hate it for him.

cottagecornerreject

Quote from: Logicalman on August 08, 2013, 01:25:11 PM
Quote from: Forever Fulham on August 07, 2013, 08:19:21 PM
"I think this subject line has been done a death long before now."

Where? Have I missed the lengthy discussions attributing reasons for the accelerated improvement in quality of MLS league play?    I'm not interested in a Dempsey discussion (if that's what you thought)--which has been, I agree, beaten to death (with one side overshouting the other).  He's but a footnote in the larger inquiry into the pace of improvement in the MLS.  I floated out the simple question, "Why the pace of improvement?"  This subgroup talks about a lot of things, dear moderator, far removed from Fulham.  Jokes, the weather, traffic congestion, where to still find cheap beer, and so on.  No, my question simply used Dempsey's move to Seattle as a segue into an inquiry why better players are playing in the MLS today, reinforced in part by  the Galaxy able to beat Juventus 3-1 (with Juventus fielding starters), where is the organic farm system for the MLS.  Just kicking a recent development (big improvement in quality of play) around a little, looking for answers.  I wasn't aware that been discussed to death long before now...

I was talking about the subject matter, Dempsey etc, etc...

As for the MLS discussion, I'd like this moved to another thread and have a frank discussion, as I feel the move by Demps and other ex-prem and European-league players will have a great knock-on effect for the MLS and soccer in the States overall, bringing more fans into watching the MLS and also the overall standards, which can only prove good.

Not too sure about that bringing more fans into watching mls. For example if I wanted to watch Dempseys first match for seattle here in the states I would of had to pay to watch it. However with the new NBC PL deal I can literally watch every single crystal palace match this season for free in the states. That screams all I need to know about MLS.

Nero

well at least hes playing football in a world cup year instead of sitting in the stands at Spurs and making a few quid back in his home country, you can see why he went.