watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I am afraid to mention this on the main forum

Started by btings, July 13, 2013, 07:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btings

This Khan business has taught me that in the UK, a man's moustache is referred to as his "tache".

I think most Americans would agree that it is more correctly called his "stache".

I'm worried this is going to divide the supporters in truly ugly ways, worse than "football" vs "s-cc-r".

YankeeJim

This is a family forum. DO NOT mention the s- word again!

Also it has to be "tache". Its hard to make an S sound without teeth.  086.gif  075.gif  :Get Coat gif:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Berserker

Well in the UK i always thought of Stache sounds like stash, were a person keeps his hoard of money.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Berserker on July 13, 2013, 11:39:19 PM
Well in the UK i always thought of Stache sounds like stash, were a person keeps his hoard of money.

We're putting you on sweet lady.  :drums:

BarryP

Tut, tut gents it would be unacceptable not to use the full term mustachio when referring to Mr. Kahn's fine collection of upper lip hair.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

btings

Quote from: BarryP on July 14, 2013, 04:54:06 AM
Tut, tut gents it would be unacceptable not to use the full term mustachio when referring to Mr. Kahn's fine collection of upper lip hair.

I agree this is the proper solution.

YankeeJim

McBridefan1

Does he honestly look in the mirror twirl his handlebars, wink at himself and think god damn you are one handsome S-O-B

Count Berbatov

How do they take him seriously in the business world

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

ron

To delve deeper into the subject, I notice we are divided in the pronunciation of the full word too...."muss tash" is the US version, while in the UK  "mer stosh" is more usual.. given there are also regional variants.

Berserker

I like it's rather good, rather quirky and makes him an individual rather than just a suit
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Ichabod Magoo

Upon seeing him, I felt an immediate affinity since I have had an imitation caterpillar crawling under my nose for most of my adult life.  'Tis a wonderful fraternity to be a member of although our population has dwindled in recent years due to the rise of chin whiskers.   :54:
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

YankeeJim

Logicalman

Quote from: YankeeJim on August 08, 2013, 06:22:51 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on August 08, 2013, 05:38:32 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on July 14, 2013, 05:13:05 PM
Soup strainer?

Bogie-catcher?

Again, we have a language issue. The proper word is booger.  :Get Coat gif:

Oops, sorry Jim, my trouble keeps correcting me on that one on the rare occasions it arises as well.

farfouille

Quote from: Count Berbatov on July 16, 2013, 07:46:19 AM
How do they take him seriously in the business world

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I asked myself the same question when I read the Steve Jobs' bio.
"Everybody's assuming [Berbatov will go] but as far as I know he is a Man United player....my mistake. Oh my God. He's a Fulham player."
- Rene Meulensteen