more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (16/08/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 16, 2013, 04:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Inside Sunderland

Sunderland fan and writer Kristan Heneage gives us an insight into the home camp ahead of Fulham's trip on Saturday.

First things first, for those Fulham fans making the trip to Sunderland, what's the best thing about the Stadium of Light?

As with most grounds, it's the atmosphere. While it may not always be full, when the team are on song it can be a great place to watch football. I find the pre-match routine very rousing as well. You'll hear 'Dance of the Knights' by Sergei Prokofiev (AKA the Apprentice theme tune). If you can suspend your association with Lord Sugar for a moment, it can cultivate quite an intimidating atmosphere. That tends to be followed by a very moving rendition of the Elvis classic 'Can't help falling in love.' While perhaps not as iconic as 'You'll Never Walk Alone' it certainly has a similar vibe and aura to it, especially when the four sides of the ground chime in as an impromptu choir.

With the 2013/14 season beginning, what is the mood like amongst Sunderland fans – are you hopeful for the coming campaign?

I think there's a lot of optimism on Wearside. It's a consequence of Paolo Di Canio's exuberance destroying the cloud that had been hanging over us. His changes have been swift and wide-ranging, amputating anyone unwilling to work towards improvement of self and the club's fortunes. Of the 10 new signings, few are what you would class 'household names' but after last season Di Canio was forced into change and the fans are aware of that. During pre-season (in particular the Barclays Asia Trophy) there's been a vim and vigour about the club's play and although Di Canio joined in March, his revolution begins on Saturday against Fulham.

The team finished 17th in the league last year – what was your assessment of the 2012/13 season?

Exhausting. Martin O'Neill put the majority of his summer budget into two players. Steven Fletcher flourished; Adam Johnson floundered. As the defeats piled up, the strain began to show on O'Neill's face. His famous bouncing goal celebration wasn't as prominent, and the claims that he was outdated and lacking in tactical nous seemed more convincing.

Undoubtedly there were highlights - besting Newcastle 3-0, the Christmas win over Manchester City - it came amid the caveat that the club almost dropped out of the division. New-signing Ondrej Celutska talked about how the club's stability in the Premier League appealed to him, and it's a point not lost on the fans. Survival is paramount and from there Di Canio can build.

What should Fulham fans expect to see and hear from the home supporters on Saturday?

There's been a lot of hope and excitement during pre-season. This is essentially breaking the seal on those feelings and thus I'd expect a really raucous atmosphere at the Stadium of Light. Of course that could be promptly deflated with an early goal for Fulham. As I mentioned, the two club anthems will be prevalent, but if you can try and listen for the Stephane Sessegnon song, you'll get a short, but insightful tale on how he came into existence.

Who have been Sunderland's players to watch during pre-season?

Emanuele Giaccherini has been the standout by far. When he arrived from Juventus in the summer, his pedigree was fairly evident - Italian international, Serie A winner etc. Just in pre-season you can see glimpses of the quality that saw him earn a move to Juve and subsequent international call-ups. The fact Antonio Conte was loathe to lose him spoke volumes of his character, and I think his mix of skill and hard work makes him the ideal player for a Paolo Di Canio side in the Premier League.

What sort of game are you expecting on Saturday?

A tense affair. While it's easy to say it's just the first game of the season, for Sunderland this moment has been building. The club has done a lot to climb away from the precipice of last season, but start with a loss and it could set the season off horribly.

Kieran Richardson is a former Black Cat, but which other Fulham players are you looking forward to watching?

I think Dimitar Berbatov is always a big draw. He's a mercurial enigma and for that same reason I'm also eager to see Adel Taarabt should he play. He had so much promise at Tottenham, but it still remains unfulfilled. I feel like under Martin Jol he's got a good mentor who can keep him on track, and from there who knows.

Aside from the football, what else should Fulham fans look out for during their visit to Sunderland?

Well on your walk to the stadium you should cross the Wearmouth bridge, which is one of the nicer monuments in the city. Once you're close enough to the stadium, I'd advocate stopping by the Bob Stokoe statue outside. He helped Sunderland towards their finest hour, a 1-0 win in the 1973 FA Cup final over Leeds. The statue commemorates the famous image of him running on to the pitch at full time, and if you read the inscription you'll see just why he is so universally loved by Sunderland fans.

Can you recommend any food or drink to try out at the game? Where's the best place for a pre-match pint?

I think if you're trying in-stadium food, it has to be the Chicken Balti pie, it's a deceptively delicious piece of pastry. Pubs are quite plentiful, but try the Albion pub on Victor Street, off Roker Avenue. Score prediction? 2-1 to the home side.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/16/inside-sunderland?

WhiteJC

Riether's New Deal

The Club is delighted to confirm that Sascha Riether has signed a new two-year deal, with the option of a further year, which could see Sascha play at Craven Cottage until the summer of 2016.

After initially arriving on loan from FC Cologne ahead of the 2012/13 campaign, Riether immediately established himself as Martin Jol's first choice right-back, going on to play 39 times in his debut season.

Resolute in defence yet keen to join the attack whenever possible, the twice-capped Germany international quickly became a firm fans' favourite in South-West London, and grabbed his first goal for the Club in the 2-2 draw against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light back in March.

"I'm happy to have got the deal done," Sascha told the official website. "I like it here – I love Fulham, I love the fans, I love the Club, and I'm happy that we could close this deal now. It's the start of the season and we are well prepared so I'm looking forward to the future."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/16/riethers-new-deal?

WhiteJC

What will Darren Bent bring to Fulham?

Martin Jol's Fulham did much of their transfer business early in the window. Maarten Stekelenburg, Derek Boateng and Fernando Amorebieta all arrived as soon as possible with the club also trying up the permanent signing of Sascha Riether.

With not much money believed to be available, even with new owner Shahid Khan, Jol's more recent business has been in the loan market with Adel Taarabt arriving earlier in the month.

The latest signing is Darren Bent for a season from Aston Villa with the deal announced on Friday morning. But how would the striker fit into Jol's Fulham setup?

First and foremost, Bent would add depth to an area of the Fulham squad that is lacking in numbers. Over the summer Mladen Petric left the club which has left them with just Dimitar Berbatov and Hugo Rodallega as senior strikers.

A third player, and one that Jol knows from his time at Tottenham, would provide options tactically for the Dutchman and, perhaps most importantly, would allow a plan B that was frequently lacking last season.

In the 2012-13 season Fulham at times played some neat, patient football. However, all too often their attacks were sluggish and devoid of pace. Towards the middle of the season other teams were able to get men behind the ball after an attack, which led to Fulham struggling to score all-important goals.

There will certainly be plenty of options for Jol to organise his attack this season. Of course, a striker such as Bent is only as good as the service he is provided with and with creativity in the centre of midfield arguably Fulham's weakest area this might need to be addressed.

Bent should be well supported from the flanks, however. Alexander Kacaniklic and Ashkan Dejagah are both capable crossers of the ball, which leaves the key area to click being whoever is selected to play as the number 10.

If Bent can create a connection with one or two of Ruiz, Taarabt or Berbatov then Fulham may well improve on their 50 goals scored last season.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/what-will-bent-bring-to-fulham_98925.html

WhiteJC

Sunderland v Fulham: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Sunderland and Fulham at the Stadium of Light on Saturday August 17, 2013, kick-off 15.00 (BST).

Saturday, August 17 2013
Sunderland v Fulham
Stadium
Kick-off: 15.00 BST.
TV: Highlights BBC ONE Match of the Day.

Sunderland (Possible, 4-4-1-1): Mannone; Celustika, O'Shea, Cuéllar, Colback; Giaccherini, Larsson, Cabral, Johnson; Sessegnon; Altidore.
Out: Bardsley (foot), Brown (knee), Cattermole (knee), Fletcher (ankle), Gardner, Vaughan (both suspended), Ji (unspecified).

Fulham (Possible, 4-3-1-2): Stekelenburg; Riether, Amorebieta, Hangeland, Richardson; Duff, Sidwell, Boateng, Ruiz; Berbatov, Bent.
Tests: Kacaniklic (hamstring), Stockdale (thumb).

Referee: Neil Swarbrick. Matches: 18, R0 Y61.

Team News
Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio is expected to name the majority of his 10 summer signings in his starting line-up against Fulham.

Jozy Altidore and Emanuele Giaccherini are set to make their competitive debuts while former Arsenal goalkeeper Vito Mannone could get the nod ahead of Keiren Westwood.

Defender Wes Brown has been ruled out as a precautionary measure after a slight recurrence of a knee complaint, striker Steven Fletcher is also forced to miss the opening game with an ankle injury, while Craig Gardner is suspended.

Fulham midfielder Alexander Kacaniklic is a doubt because of a hamstring injury.

Goalkeeper David Stockdale is struggling with a thumb problem, but new signing Maarten Stekelenburg is the club's number one choice in the position.

Adel Taarabt, a loan signing from QPR, is short of match fitness but will be included in the squad.

Match Notes
To make up for the influx of new faces populating Paolo Di Canio's much-changed side, there is likely to be a familiar one among the visitors.

Darren Bent, who left Sunderland in acrimonious circumstances two-and-a-half years ago, is available for his Fulham debut after joining on loan from Aston Villa.

No prizes for guessing the source of any goals for the visitors at the Stadium of Light.

Betting: Home 6-5, Away 23-10, Draw 23-10.

Stat of the game: Both Sunderland and Fulham are unbeaten in their last four opening-day games.

Jason Mellor's prediction: Sunderland 2 Fulham 1.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10232195/Sunderland-v-Fulham-match-preview.html

WhiteJC

Fulham Season Prediction: Jol's Rebuilding Will Bring Much of the Same Under New Owners
Martin Jol has made the right moves in the transfer window but building a side capable of European football will take time

Last season

Premier League: 12th

FA Cup: Round 4

League Cup: Round 2

Top scorer: Dimitar Berbatov (15)

Summer work

With a new owner taking over at Craven Cottage this summer, the patience of Shahid Khan will likely be tested as the side continue to grow slowly but surely under manager Martin Jol. Purchases of Dutch keeper Maarten Stekelenburg, who was once strongly linked to Manchester United, and gifted but occasionally difficult Adel Taraabt on loan from QPR has set the side up for a positive revamp next season.

Defenders Fernando Amorebieta and Sascha Riether (on loan last season and now a permanent signing) will provide options in the backline for Jol, while midfielder Derek Boateng will bring a wealth of experience to the side in the middle of the park after Jol was able to land the Ghana international despite much back and forth over his contract.

A pursuit of Darren Bent looks to have proven successful with Newcastle admitting today that the striker has chosen to move to another club. The former Tottenham man linking up with Berbatov will certainly give Fulham options up front.

Manager - Martin Jol

Entering his second season in charge of Fulham, Jol is slowly putting into place a squad capable of achieving more than a top half finish. His ability to attract players and plans for the future have adhered him to Cottagers' fans, and this season he will certainly be expected to not only equal last campaign's 12th place finish but to build on it. With new ownership always comes uncertainty over how the manager will fit into their plans, and the first half of the season will be Jol's chance to show Khan that he can create consistency as his side continues to gel.

Key player - Maarten Stekelenburg

Mark Schwarzer's impact on the Fulham squad last season can't be discounted, with the keeper often being the difference between important points as they fought for Premier League safety. While the Australian was a standout performer he certainly had some blunders over the season as well. With his exit, and Stekelenburg's big reputation, all eyes will be on the Holland international to shore up any problems in Fulham's backline and create a more consistent line of defence.

Expectations

Finishing in the top half of the table would be a start, and should Jol be able to bring silverware in the form of a domestic cup fans and the new owner will be more than happy. Should he find himself in a fight for the relegation zone, the manager could be handed his marching orders very quickly as is often the case during the trigger-happy period of a changeover in ownership.

Prediction

Continuing to rebuild, the side will have a disjointed season much like the last. 13th

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/499577/20130816/fulham-season-preview-martin-jol-ownership-stekelenburg.htm?

WhiteJC

Fulham sign Darren Bent on loan from Aston Villa

Darren Bent has signed for Fulham on a season-long loan from Aston Villa.

The striker, a club record £18m signing in 2011, was sidelined at Villa for much of last season following a hamstring injury and the emergence of Belgian forward Christian Benteke.

Bent, 29, scored six goals in 23 appearances for Villa last term.

Fulham boss Martin Jol said: "He gives us pace up front and I am confident that he will add to our goals scored tally this season."

It is the second time Jol has signed Bent after buying him for Spurs in a £16.5m deal from Charlton in 2007.

The Dutchman added: "He has shown in the Premier League that he is composed and clinical in front of goal but, even if he is not scoring, he is involved in some good link-up play, creating opportunities for his team-mates."

It is not clear whether the deal includes an option to buy at the end of the season.

Bent becomes Fulham's seventh summer signing under the new ownership of Shahid Khan, who also owns American Football side Jacksonville Jaguars.

Other notable arrivals include forward Adel Taarabt on loan from Queens Park Rangers and goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg from Roma for an undisclosed fee.

Both Newcastle boss Alan Pardew and Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway believed Bent was close to signing for their respective clubs before he opted for Fulham.

"I think he was close in terms of the deal but Darren has decided his future lies elsewhere and we wish him all the best," said Pardew on Friday.

Bent has made 13 appearances for England, scoring four goals, but has not played for his country since before Euro 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23711266

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Sunderland v Fulham

Sunderland have signed 10 players but not many of them have any Premier League experience and it is difficult to know exactly what to expect from the Black Cats on Saturday, or over the coming season.

I doubt very much that Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio knows his best team at this stage and the only thing we can say for sure is that we will see more of his touchline antics over the next few months, that is a given.

Fulham have a new American owner in Shahid Khan and they have made some decent signings over the summer. It looks like Martin Jol is about to take Darren Bent from Aston Villa and he has already signed Adel Taarabt from QPR and Dutch keeper Maarten Stekelenburg from Roma.

I would back them to have another solid season under Jol, starting with a point at the Stadium of Light.

Sudeikis says: "Sunderland is going to beat them, just because of Kiefer and Donald Sunderland. And it will be 24-0 because of Kiefer Sutherland, I mean Sunderland."

Lawro's prediction: 1-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23667286