watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (17/08/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 17, 2013, 08:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'Tache with the cash' Khan plans revolution at Fulham (and he'll probably win the club's Movember competition, too!)

Derby were champions and Fulham had escaped relegation to the third tier of English football by a  single point in the year Shahid Khan began to experiment with a handlebar moustache.

All of which makes his trademark fashion statement a good few years older than anyone in the Fulham squad and ought to render the club's annual Movember charity 'tache-growing contest redundant.

'I've had it since 1972 and it isn't anything unique to me,' says Khan, but when he bought the Jacksonville Jaguars nearly two years ago fans of the NFL team embraced his image and attended games wearing stick-on comedy moustaches.

Mo sports a mo: Mohamed Al Fayed (left) presenting new Fulham owner Shahid Khan

Full of cheer: Khan also owns the Jacksonville Jaguars

'I respected the gesture of friendship,' says the billionaire, 62. 'It's all about how people perceive you. At Jacksonville it became a symbol and I didn't mind that.'

There's a good chance the habit will catch on at Craven Cottage, especially since Mohamed Al Fayed stuck one to his top lip for photographers at the press conference to confirm the club's change of ownership last month.

After 16 years of Al Fayed's loud silk shirts, over-sized scarves and political incorrectness, Fulham are set for a new era, led by an equally charismatic frontman.

'One of the bonuses of professional sport is that everybody knows everything about you,' adds Khan.

'I never quite realised how big the NFL was until I was directly involved and it's the same with the Premier League. Since I've taken over at  Fulham, I've heard from people I have not heard from in years.'

He will not be at the Stadium of Light as Fulham start their campaign on Saturday, but will be at Craven Cottage for the first home game of the season against Arsenal, owned by his friend and NFL adversary Stan Kroenke.

'I know and like him,' says Khan, who was beaten by Kroenke in a £500million tussle to buy the  St Louis Rams in 2010. Khan moved on to buy the Jaguars.

No grudges were held, it seems.

'He exercised his rights, which he was entitled to do,' says Khan. 'I fully respect that and things turned out very well for me when the Jacksonville Jaguars became available.

'We have a great relationship and I would love Arsenal to do well this  season. It will be like the NFL, where you are best friends for 365 days a year minus the three hours when you're playing against their team.'

Having a laugh: Khan (right) with Fulham manager Martin Jol in Jacksonville during pre-season

Khan describes his Fulham swoop as a 'seize-the-moment' deal.

He had ruminated quietly about the Premier League for some time, but when the chance came he took it, although not before discussions with Kroenke and the Glazers.

'They were bullish about it,' Khan says. 'They told me Fulham was a  special place and that English football was a unique experience. They wished they'd done it earlier.' He knew about the charms of Craven Cottage.

'I went to a number of games and saw Fulham beat Liverpool (in 2007),' says Khan, who was born in Pakistan but moved to Illinois aged 16. He built a fortune  manufacturing car parts, becoming a billionaire and a US citizen.

'Clint Dempsey came off the bench to score the winner at the Hammersmith End, if I remember rightly.'

He does. It was Dempsey's first goal for the club in the penultimate game of the season and effectively saved Fulham from relegation. 'It gave me a great sense of the club,' says Khan. 'I had no idea at the time it would be my destiny to end up as the chairman.'

Right result: Clint Dempsey celebrates scoring for Fulham against Liverpool at Craven Cottage in 2007 - a game attended by Shahid Khan

Khan completed his £150m takeover last month and was quick to quash fears he would Americanise the club, integrating them with the Jaguars.

'They have different fan bases with different economics and different  drivers,' says Khan. 'You have NFL people at the Jaguars and Premier League football people at Fulham, but there are common areas. The Real Betis game was a great example when two potential corporate partners for both teams were my guests.'

The Jaguars may train at Fulham when in London, although not ahead of the San Francisco 49ers game at Wembley on October 27.

He will also try to take Fulham to play at Jacksonville's EverBank Field as part of next year's pre-season tour.

'Soccer in America is on the runway, ready to take-off,' he says. 'To see  Fulham play in Jacksonville would be awesome.'

Khan has warmed quickly to Fulham manager Martin Jol. 'First impressions were good,' he says. 'He's a strategic thinker and a motivator. He's been around. He knows the sport. I'm not the type to interfere.

'This is something I learned the hard way, not in sport but in other businesses. You have to find the right people. In auto-parts I started out with one garage and now employ around 17,000 people in 53 locations.

'You can't do this if you haven't got the right people in the right places.'

Khan will abide by the transfer  strategy mapped out by Jol and chief executive Alistair Mackintosh.

'My role has been to support them spiritually and financially,' he said. 'We've already seen some investment in new players, there will be more.'

Khan will press ahead with plans to expand the Riverside Stand. He says: 'The goal is for Craven Cottage to be part of the solution, but we have to get the revenue to invest in the ground and players.

'The Riverside expansion is a key element, with more hospitality and higher revenue seats. My goal is that Fulham will live on as a viable business long after I'm gone.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2395853/Shahid-Khan-plans-revolution-Fulham.html#ixzz2cD7rGSwM
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Bright new dawn for Fulham?

Boris Streubel/Bongarts/Getty Images
Dimitar Berbatov and Fulham kick off their Premier League campaign at Sunderland.

Our heroes have a long slog north to Sunderland for their opening game, but should reflect as the miles tick by on the team bus that Fulham have not lost in this fixture since 2009. For Fulham's first competitive game under new owner Shahid Khan, the Whites have every chance of taking something from a rebuilt Sunderland side under Paolo Di Canio, especially with recent recruits to the ranks over the past 10 days in Adel Taarabt and, more tellingly, Darren Bent.

Followers of the Black Cats I sourced this week remain shaken by their near-fatal flirtation with relegation last season. There have been false dawns aplenty on Wearside, with the likes of Roy Keane, Steve Bruce and Martin O'Neill all getting things spectacularly wrong, while siphoning off large chunks of owner Ellis Short's largesse in the process.

Now Di Canio has barnstormed through the transfer market and returned with 10 new signings. The Italian did just enough to stave off relegation, with two draws and two wins from the last seven games, but it was only by one place. With no management credentials at this level, a turbulent track record and temper to match, and an endless stream of acerbic criticism and ruthless treatment of those he feels have failed him, Di Canio has the potential to cloak Sunderland in QPR's discarded coat of last season.

But these are not our problems, and this is a Fulham blog, so let's get down to it. The fans have had to tough it out over the summer waiting for tangible signs of a long-overdue upswing in club fortunes. Even this week beleaguered Martin Jol was reminding the press how pitiful investment had been for two seasons and that he continually needed to be 'creative' in the market. Last season the side slumped alarmingly in the spring, hardly surprising with the motley collection of loanees and free transfers the club were fielding.

In 2011 Jol signalled his arrival as manager with a £10.6 million outlay for Twente's Bryan Ruiz. Since then it seems any price tag above £5 million puts them out of the game. Yet not it appears with clubs like Swansea, Norwich, West Ham, Southampton, WBA -- even Cardiff.

What's puzzling me, is what has changed at Fulhamć Yes, we sense outgoing chairman Mohammed al-Fayed wished to set a robust balance sheet before prospective new owners, but if you looked at the annual balance sheet of turnover and wages paid, we'd been running a pretty tight ship for years. Throughout the uncertainty of the past few weeks the benefits of hugely increased TV rights money seems to have been forgotten.

We hope a corner has been turned at last with Bent's arrival -- albeit for a season on loan. This is the first time Mr. Khan has been asked to put his money on the table. Jol says he wants three more signings at least. Even Thursday you sensed Fulham were finally moved to action only once Crystal Palace tried to force the issue. Strange to hear the boss refusing to answer questions on Bent in his press conference even while the player was at the club undergoing a medical!

Will Bent be the golden boy Fulham so badly needć 103 goals in the Premiership to date says this man knows how to finish. Sunderland fans will be only too aware of that from his time there. But will he get on the pitch Saturdayć Well, he travels with the squad after one brief training session with his new team-mates. I'm guessing, but I think he may start on the bench. The same goes for Taarabt.

As for more definitive team news, for Fulham, only Alex Kakaniclic is a worry. Nobody returned injured from the international programme, but Kakaniclic has a tight hamstring that's bothered him for a month. He's subject to a late fitness test.

I, for one, hope he plays. In our final match of last season when we turned Swansea over 3-0 at their place, he was outstanding. But the rumour this week inside the club was that Mesca would start, in itself no bad thing for the 20-year-old who lost a season to knee ligament damage and has featured throughout the friendlies. I expect Kieran Richardson, too, to invite a hot reception should he claim the left-back spot ahead of JAR.

Whatever the starting eleven, we need to see more bite from the team and a readiness to get the ball quicker into dangerous areas. I feel Sunderland will make a nervous start. Wes Brown, Phil Bardsley and Stephen Fletcher are absent, Craig Gardner suspended.

One factor I felt that had been lacking for a while was Fulham seemed not to have enough young and hungry players. There's more competition for places now, and the brooding presence of hit-man Bent and the effervescent Taarabt on the bench will perhaps special one things up a bit.

One to watch Sunderland: Jozy Altidore. Returning to the EPL the American striker is on top form.

One to watch Fulham: Dimitar Berbatov. Last season's top scorer remains a class apart from the rest.

Score predictionć Nah, not falling for that one, especially on day one.

COYW!!!

Twitter@fulhamphil

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1214?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Preview: Sunderland vs. Fulham

Sunderland signed 10 new players this summer
Neither side have lost on Opening Day in the last 4 years
Fulham only secured five points from losing positions last year
"Fulhamerica" visits Jozy Altidore's Sunderland in a U.S. special Saturday. The red-hot 23-year-old striker is set to make his Sunderland debut, his first in the English Premier League since his failed Hull City stint in the 2009/10 season.

Just like in the Stoke City vs. Liverpool matchup, both these clubs finished in relatively disappointing positions. Last year's hot start for Fulham (including a 5-0 defeat of Norwich on Opening Day) fizzled out as they relied heavily on Dimitar Berbatov for goals. The end of the year brought fatigue, which led to them being sucked into the relegation battle before outside help saw them pushed up to 12th place.

Sunderland were very much in the relegation tempest, finishing just above the drop zone in 17th thanks largely to Wigan's league failures down the stretch. Paolo Di Canio, brought in with seven games to go to inject some fighting spirit into the squad and avoid relegation, has signed a whopping 10 new players this summer, including Altidore. Many of them, like Emanuele Giaccherini and Vito Mannone, could not just make appearances Saturday but start as well.

MORE: Game schedule | Match finder

Altidore is on a blistering hot streak this summer in international play for the United States, and Di Canio would love for his new signing to carry that success over to his team as well. Jozy bagged a hat-trick against Bosnia-Herzegovina to spur the United States to a stunning comeback just two days ago, making it five consecutive matches Altidore has scored in for the United States.

On the flip side, Fulham manager Martin Jol will have a selection headache with the brand new addition of former Sunderland striker Darren Bent. With former Golden Boot winner Dimitar Berbatov at the front of last year's attack, Bent's addition presents the question whether Berbatov will move behind the Englishman or alongside him. If Berba moves back as a secondary striker to utilize his distribution abilities, it displaces current secondary striker Bryan Ruiz. Ruiz is capable of playing on the wing, but has lacked conviction from there in his previous Fulham appearances out wide.

Will Altidore continue his goalscoring stampede? Will Berbatov continue his form from last season? You can find out by tuning in live on Saturday at 10:00am ET on NBC Sports Live Extra.

What they're saying

Di Canio on Altidore: "I don't hope he will be a success — I am sure he will be a success. With his characteristics he will score many goals. He can play very well for the team and can score lots of goals. His main part is to score goals and to help the others. He is a modern footballer, like you saw last night. He can make lovely movements and we expect that he will score many goals for us. I don't know a number, but it won't be two obviously."

Altidore on his move to Sunderland: "One of the biggest reasons for the move for me was the chance to train against the best every day. My last club was a great club, and now I need to be challenged more."

Martin Jol on his squad: "We need pace up front. We need goals and if you see our flank players they are very talented, but since Clint Dempsey left we have not scored enough. I think Adel [Taarabt] is capable of scoring goals, Berbatov is, Bryan could be. But what I need is someone who can score more. We are a very good Premier League club and we have some good players, but I want to strengthen the squad."

Prediction

It would seem, with two sides looking to improve on last year's goal tallies, that the new additions would mean a more attacking match. With Paolo Di Canio having brought Sunderland to life and Martin Jol given his side a boost in the transfer window, there very well may be goals in this match. It's hard to imagine Altidore's hot streak not carrying over, so he leads Sunderland to a 2-1 victory over a Fulham side that has always struggled away from home.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/16/preview-sunderland-vs-fulham/?

WhiteJC

"2 + 2 = 5″ ProSoccerTalk's exclusive interview with Fulham owner Shahid Khan

Shahid Khan, the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars and the new top dog at Fulham, is a strict businessman.  At the time of his purchase, he told those in charge at Fulham that they would be free to do their jobs, but if the results weren't there, he wouldn't be merciful and kind.

Khan and his epic mustache joined the likes of Randy Lerner, the Glazer family, and Stan Kroenke as American owners in the Premier League.  While he clearly connects his American heritage with the English game, there's an overwhelming desire to succeed.  The American game is important, but the success of Fulham is now even higher on his list.

It's clear Khan speaks in the language of business, but he has an incredible passion for not just sports but the fan experience.  He can be seen at Jaguars fan events speaking with eager supporters, and is incredibly accessible to the media.  His ability to market is second to none, and he's gotten the fanbase in Jacksonville more excited than ever about their NFL team.

Now he's passing that along to Fulham.  Former owner Mohamed Al Fayed gave everything he had to the club, but he mostly conducted business in private.  Khan respects everything Al Fayed gave to the club, but his approach differs.  The fans are important to him, and it reflects in his actions.

ProSoccerTalk's Kyle Bonn got to chat with Mr. Khan about his new ownership venture, his feelings on the game in the United States and how he believes the two sports teams he owns will coexist.

With Mohamed Al Fayed having such an integral role in bringing Fulham up to the Premier League, is he going to be sticking around the club in an ambassador or honorary role?

SK: "Well the transition is complete, but he's a major part of the history of Fulham.  In all likelihood Fulham wouldn't be around if it wasn't for him, the investment he made, and the love and passion he had.  So he's a real part of the club and he can be around as little or as much as he'd like.  Even for the last several years he was really not around the club, but he'd be welcome around whenever he'd like."

With your ownership of Fulham as well as the Jaguars, do you have an overall plan to cross-promote these teams, and will they be more separate entities or will they coexist strongly?

SK: "They're definitely separate entities, and you don't want to have any confusion about that.  But having said that, we have a number of opportunities to have corporate partners that would like to take part in both.  I had several guests at the Real Betis friendly at Fulham who came over to get a chance to work with or sponsor Fulham and then also be able to do it with the NFL game in London or back in the U.S. with Jacksonville.  So we have a unique space that I think is going to help both teams, but there can't be any confusion – they are on their own.  Both of them we can use a relationship to develop fan bases.  With Jacksonville in London, we had started last year with the Union Jax fan club, and when Fulham happened they picked up several thousand members that day.  Fulham will definitely be playing friendlies starting next year in Jacksonville; it's a very soccer crazy atmosphere so they're delighted to have Fulham coming.  There's opportunity, but both of them have to exist on their own and improve on their own."

There are American owners in the Premier League, but you are one of the most accessible to the public.  Do you think that with your new connection, you're in a position to help spread the excitement of the game of soccer to American sports fans and help grow excitement about the game with those who may not have been previously interested?

SK: "I can only speak for myself, but yes.  We have an opportunity where Fulham and the Jaguars stand on their own, but we also have an opportunity where 2 + 2 = 5.  A unique place where we can offer opportunities at both clubs for the fans because of the relationship."

Soccer has a much larger following in this country than it ever has before, but it still struggles to cement itself in the average American sports fan's household.  Do you think it could compete with sports like baseball in the near future or is that a hard sell?

SK: "I think putting a quantifying number on it to compare to baseball, I think I'm in no position to answer that, but I can tell you that soccer is on the upswing.  I see that from the number of people I've known for years – we never talked about the Premier League or soccer, and now Fulham happens.  In Jacksonville, I talked to people about how they can get Fulham apparel or when is the friendly, so there's a huge amount of interest.  So soccer in the U.S. is definitely on the upswing, and NBC is on the ground floor with broadcasting the games, and we're counting on the fact that what NBC sees in soccer is correct."

Fulham have a legacy of an American connection.  Some fans refer to it as "Fulhamerica."  Did this attract you to the club at all and would you consider giving a harder look at American players because of this past?

SK: "I think that's a part of Fulham's history which I think is great, but Fulham has a lot more that made it the perfect club for us at the perfect time for us.  The Premier League is very competitive like the NFL, so you want to get the best players.  They (the American players) were great for Fulham, but moving forward we want to get the best players.  Hopefully some of them are Americans, that would be a great connection."

The style of promotion and relegation is so engrained in the fabric of soccer, except here in America it's somewhat foreign.  Do you think that concept should be applied here to Major League Soccer or other sports in the United States?

SK: "I don't think it would work.  There's something very unique about the concept of promotion and relegation, but in the U.S. it doesn't make sense.  The sport I know, at least from a business standpoint is the NFL.  What makes it unique and exciting year after year is the competitive balance – the draft, a hard salary cap, scheduling, etc – you can't have those with promotion and relegation."

Between the Premier League and the NFL, do you see any similarities between the two, and do you have a favorite?

SK: "They have a lot in common. We're talking about two leagues at the top of their sport.  Obviously very passionate fan bases, large TV or media revenues, so there's obviously a lot in common."

Could you see a Fulham player ever being turned into a kicker for the Jaguars?

SK: *laughing* "You know, that is an interesting idea.  (Jaguars kicker) Josh Scobee was talking to me about it last week.  We talk about it for fun when we have a friendly here next year to try that.  Josh actually used to play soccer with Clint Dempsey, so he shared a lot of similarities.  Moving forward, how you evaluate talent can cross the game.  Nobody really knows how they compare but this would be an interesting way of finding out."

I didn't know Josh played soccer with Clint!

SK: "He told me he gave up his hopes of professional soccer once he played with Clint, he thought he couldn't make it, so he figured he'd better get good at kicking a ball for football."

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/16/2-2-5-prosoccertalks-exclusive-interview-with-fulham-owner-shahid-khan/?

WhiteJC

Former Manchester City and Fulham target signs for United

PHIL Babb has this week secured the services of a defender once courted by Manchester City and Fulham.

The Hayes & Yeading manager has agreed a loan deal for Stevenage right-back Anthony Furlonge until January 1.

Jack Mills has been operating on the right side of United's defence in pre-season but Babb has bolstered his options ahead of the big kick-off on Saturday against Bromley.

Furlonge has been away on international duty with the Cyprus U21s, playing alongside former United striker Michael Thalassitis, but was due to return to the UK on Wednesday.

Stevenage snapped up the youngster in April 2012 following the expiry of his youth deal at League Two side Southend United.

It was at Southend where he attracted the interest of Roberto Mancini and Roy Hodgson in March 2010, however no Premier League move materialised.

Having come through the ranks at Millwall and Arsenal before moving to Roots Hall, the capture of Furlonge would represent a considerable coup for Babb.

http://www.uxbridgegazette.co.uk/west-london-sport/hayesandyeading/2013/08/16/113046-33723821/?

WhiteJC

Pardew accuses Bent of taking "safe option"

ALAN PARDEW has accused Darren Bent of taking the "safe option" by turning down Newcastle United in order to join Fulham.

Pardew remains confident of signing another striker before the transfer window closes at the start of next month, despite Newcastle admitting defeat in their pursuit of both Darren Bent and Bafetimbi Gomis.

Bent signed a season-long loan at Fulham yesterday, with a view to making a permanent switch at the end of the campaign, and could make his Cottagers debut in today's opening-day game with his former club, Sunderland, at the Stadium of Light.

Joe Kinnear, who has completed just one signing in his two months as director of football, met Bent's representatives two weeks ago, but Newcastle were unwilling to match Aston Villa's £6m valuation of the England international, or match his wage demands of around £65,000-a-week.

Fulham firmed up their own approach last week, and while Newcastle made a last-minute attempt to scupper the striker's move to Craven Cottage, Bent spurned their advances.

"I think he was close in terms of the deal, but Darren's decided his future lies elsewhere and I wish him all the best," said Pardew. "It was very obvious that I thought he would do well here.

"Obviously you can't have contact with the player, but I know Darren well enough to think we had something which he was going to enjoy.

"But he has opted for Fulham and I think perhaps that is a safer option. Were the Sunderland links a factor? Possibly yes, and maybe the profile of this club as well. It is bigger than Fulham's, that's just a fact."

As well as missing out on Bent, Newcastle have also admitted defeat in their long-running pursuit of Gomis.

Despite agreeing a fee with Lyon for the France international, Newcastle officials have notified their counterparts at the Ligue 1 club that their interest is at an end after a series of financial obstacles prevented the completion of a deal.

Loic Remy is the only senior player to have moved to St James' Park this summer, but the Frenchman will not be involved in Monday's opening game at Manchester City as he has missed the whole of pre-season with a calf problem.

Pardew insists Newcastle are capable of springing a surprise at the Etihad Stadium despite the failure to add to a squad that could only finish 16th last season.

But with Kinnear now assessing new targets, the Magpies manager admits it is imperative that an attacking reinforcement arrives before the start of next month.

"We've been actively pursuing two or three players, and we would still like to get one or two in," said Pardew. "I don't see a lot of late business for us, but I do think we need another striker in.

"I think we've got a strong side, but I still maintain, and stats don't lie, in terms of threat at goal, we need a bit more offensively. Last season, especially after Demba (Ba) left, our goal ratio and shot ratio dropped off and our offensive impact in terms of putting a team on the back foot was affected.

"When you have two strikers of high calibre, teams are very reluctant to step on to you. But they did after Demba left and that was a problem for us. We need to get the team selection right, but we also need options in those areas. We've got Remy, but I still think we need another."

With Remy remaining on Tyneside to build up his match fitness, Papiss Cisse is set to start as a lone striker on Monday night.

Steven Taylor and Jonas Gutierrez will both be involved despite struggling with toe and calf injuries respectively, but Davide Santon is unlikely to feature after damaging his hip during the pre-season programme.

With Massadio Haidara also injured, Pardew does not have an experienced left-back at his disposal. Paul Dummett has made a number of pre-season outings, but given that the 21-year-old is still to make his Premier League debut, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is more likely to start at the Etihad Stadium as Newcastle look to neuter a Manchester City attack that could feature summer signings Jesus Navas, Stevan Jovetic and Alvara Negredo.

"Davide has a problem and I think he's doubtful for the game," said Pardew. "I gave (Mark) Noble, (Alex) Oxlade-Chamberlain and (Jonjo) Shelvey debuts at 16 so I have no problem with age.

"In terms of where he (Dummett) is at and the pre-season he has had, he has put himself in real contention, but Man City away would be a tough call for him having not made his debut for us yet.

"You're either ready or you're not, and throwing into the deep end sometimes works. But up against him would be Navas, who in my opinion is probably the best signing of the summer. He's a little bit special.

"That's something we'll think about, but going forward, I'd expect him to make ten first-team starts this season."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/read_article/10618707._/?

WhiteJC

Jol: Fitness Is Key

Manager Martin Jol thinks that his Fulham players will prove themselves in the Barclays Premier League once they have reached full fitness.

Jol has seen four new faces arrive at the Cottage this summer - Maarten Stekelenburg, Derek Boateng, Fernando Amorebieta and Adel Taarabt - and when asked if it would be hard to get them to integrate, the Manager was bullish.

"It's a cliché to say that it's hard to get players to play together," he said. "For me, the only priority is to get players fit who haven't played for three months, or didn't train for months.

"You have to get them fit and that is hard. It's not hard to get them to play together because in a couple of months time you will see that they are good. The thing in management is to get your players match fit, then you can start them."

When asked if he believes his squad has a good blend of flair and tenacity, he insisted that he is working hard to ensure that is the case.

"The thing with creative players like [Dimitar] Berbatov, [Bryan] Ruiz, Adel [Taarabt] and others, if things are not going well then people tend to blame them," he said. "That is the balance, and I have to find a good balance between those ballplayers and the workhorses."

Jol was pressed on whether some of Fulham's young players would get a chance to shine in the First Team this season, with the midfield areas full of talent.

"Kerim Frei was injured most of the time last year and was a bit unfortunate, but started to play with the Turkey Under-20s and now they want him for the senior team," Jol said. "I've got Mesca, Kača [Alexander Kačaniklić] and I need goals. Kerim is a young guy who is developing but he needs games and I would love to put him somewhere where he can do that and then we can develop him as we did with Kačaniklić."

Chris David is another who has had plenty of match time in pre-season and Jol thinks he would benefit from more games.

"He's a very talented left-footer," he said. "He looks good, but he needs games. You don't see a lot of young players going straight into the First Team in the English game so you send them out on loan and they get games. My idea with the youngsters is to try to find good clubs for them and develop them. Or, if they are really good, then you can try to start them."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/17/jol-fitness-is-key?

WhiteJC

Richardson Relishing Return

Left-back Kieran Richardson is looking forward to a return to Sunderland on Saturday and the start of the Barclays Premier League season.

Richardson was at the Stadium of Light for five years after leaving Manchester United in 2007 and joined Fulham on transfer deadline day in August 2012. His debut season in SW6 saw him play 15 times, with his appearances restricted by a run of injuries.

"Last season was a bad season for me in terms of injuries," he said. "But I've put a lot of work in over pre-season and hopefully I'll crack on."

Returning to Sunderland this weekend, Richardson is sure that the team are in for a tough challenge, but one he hopes will turn out in favour of the Whites.

"It brings back unbelievable memories," he said. "I had a great time there and it's a great club. Obviously going up there on the first game of the season means it'll be a hard place to go; their fans are magnificent and it's going to be a very hard game for us. But all games are hard in the Premier League and so we'll be hopeful of coming home with all three points.

"It seems a long time ago now. The fans were great to me there, but I'm going there as a Fulham player and will hopefully be going back to upset them."

In 2008, Richardson scored the winner in a Tyne-Wear derby against Newcastle United with a stunning free-kick from the edge of the box and had also made headlines when he hit the woodwork three times with the same effort against Fulham the game before.

"It was about 30 yards out, it hit the crossbar and the post twice and I don't know how it didn't go in," he said. "It was against Mark Schwarzer. Then in the second half I got another free-kick and scored, but I think it was Pascal [Chimbonda] who was interfering with the wall and it got ruled out. The next week I went to Newcastle and scored another free-kick which stood, so it didn't really matter to me."

With the versatile defender used in both defence and midfield last season, Manager Martin Jol has opted to play him regularly in the left-back slot during pre-season. Richardson is certainly keen to play and is looking forward to the challenge of being a force at both ends of the pitch.

"Over the summer I've had a good chat with the Manager and this season I'll be playing the majority of games at left-back," he added. "Over the years I've played in a lot of different positions, but I'm confident in that position and if you look at the top left-backs in the world now they are all bombing forward all the time and that's going to be the plan for me at Fulham.

"As a defender, defending is the most important aspect, but the way the game has evolved these days, it's a full-back's job to get forward and create goals as well as putting pressure on their full-backs too."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/17/richardson-relishing-return?

WhiteJC

Opening Day Omens

Fulham's opening day history
Won: 4
Drawn: 4
Lost: 4
Scored: 19
Conceded: 16

The 2013/14 Barclays Premier League campaign gets underway on Saturday, and Fulham fans will be hoping recent history repeats itself as the Whites aim to go a fifth consecutive opening day without defeat.

You will need to stretch all the way back to 16th August 2008 for the last time the Whites lost the first game of the season, when newly promoted Hull City edged a tight 2-1 win at the KC Stadium, despite Seol Ki-Hyeon handing Fulham the lead after just eight minutes.

Since that match, though, Fulham have not conceded a goal in the inaugural match of a new Premier League season, with 2009/10 beginning with a welcome 1-0 win over Portsmouth at Fratton Park. Bobby Zamora deflected Clint Dempsey's effort into the back of the net to provide an early relief as to when our first away victory would arrive.

In the subsequent two seasons we secured solid goalless draws against Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok Stadium and Aston Villa at the Cottage, respectively. But last season proved to be our most prolific campaign opener during our time in the Premier League, as we found ourselves top of the table courtesy of a 5-0 battering of Norwich City.

Following our promotion to the Premiership in 2001, the fixture list threw up a daunting yet exciting opener as we found ourselves travelling to Old Trafford to begin life as a top flight side for the first time in 33 years. We put up one hell of a fight, too, twice leading through future Red Devil Louis Saha, only for David Beckham's free-kick and Ruud van Nistelrooy's brace to secure victory for the home side.

Our only other meeting with United on the opening day wasn't quite so hard fought, as Sir Alex Ferguson's charges romped home with a 5-1 victory as Fulham began the 2006/07 campaign with a whimper.

We had home ties to begin both the 2002/03 and 2003/04 seasons, and our temporary residence of Loftus Road proved a lucky charm on each occasion. First, fresh from our UEFA Intertoto Cup exploits, we emphatically saw off Bolton 4-1, despite going down to Michael Ricketts' early penalty. Saha responded with a spot-kick of his own, before his compatriots Sylvain Legwinski and Steve Marlet put the Whites in control before half-time, with Legwinski adding his second and Fulham's fourth late on.

The 16th of August 2003 was Chris Coleman's first match as permanent Manager at the Club, and he got his reign off to the perfect start with a 3-2 victory over Middlesbrough. Marlet, Junichi Inamoto and Saha were all on target – it was the first of 15 goals Saha would score for Fulham that season before his January move to Old Trafford.

Back-to-back opening day draws were secured in 2004/05 and 2005/06 away to Manchester City and at home to Birmingham City, respectively. Collins John cancelled out Robbie Fowler's opener at Eastlands, and Brian McBride's disallowed header was the closest we came to defeating the Midlands side a year later.

The majority of the 2007/08 campaign was one to forget for Fulham fans, but it began well as a David Healy strike less than 60 seconds into his debut kept Lawrie Sanchez's side in front at the Emirates Stadium for 83 minutes. Robin van Persie eventually equalised from the penalty spot, though, to thoroughly disgruntle the travelling fans, before Alexander Hleb struck in stoppage time to ensure the season began with a defeat for the Whites.

Here's hoping our 13th opening match in the top flight proves lucky when the boys face Sunderland on Saturday afternoon.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/17/opening-day-omens?

WhiteJC

Newcastle United – It Is Always Somebody Else's Fault

Leave aside for one moment whatever you think of Darren Bent as a player and whether he would have been right for Newcastle.

The one thing we do know for sure is that Newcastle have tried to sign him this summer, whether on loan or a permanent deal, and instead he has signed a loan deal for a year at Fulham.

Alan Pardew has said the following to the Northern Echo when he found out Bent had signed for the Cottagers;

"I think he (Kinnear) was close in terms of the deal but Darren has decided his future lies elsewhere.

It was very obvious that I thought he'd do well here.

He has opted for Fulham and I think that's perhaps a safer option. Were the sunderland links a factor? Possibly yes and maybe the profile of this club as well. It is bigger than Fulham's, that is just a fact."

Talk about always pointing the finger elsewhere!

In the Northern Echo article they also mention in passing that Newcastle weren't willing to match Bent's current wages of £65,000 a week or Villa's £6m valuation to buy him.

As I said at the start, ignore for a second whether you personally would want Bent or think he's worth whatever wages and transfer fee.

Pardew/Kinnear/Newcastle supposedly wanted to bring him in.

So Newcastle refuse to match his current wages or the fee Villa want and in no way is it United's fault that the deal didn't happen.

How do you work that one out.

So Darren Bent is now supposedly scared of playing for such a 'big' club as Newcastle?

Well with each passing year we'll be more attractive to Bent and such others because Newcastle's profile is only heading one way with this ridiculous (mis-)management of the club.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/newcastle-united-it-is-always-somebody-elses-fault/?

WhiteJC

Bent Targets Place In England's World Cup Plans After Sealing Fulham Loan

Darren Bent hopes his loan spell at Fulham will help him force his way into Roy Hodgson's squad ahead of the World Cup Finals in Brazil.

The 29-year-old has endured a miserable time at Aston Villa of late, particularly last season when it became apparent he didn't feature in Paul Lambert's plans. With Christian Benteke established as the main striker for the Midlands club and Nicklas Helenius signed as back-up, chances are Bent would have been pushed further down the pecking order this term.

Newcastle United and, in particular, Crystal Palace had shown an interest in signing the forward, but when Martin Jol entered the bidding, there was only ever going to be one outcome. The Dutch coach signed Bent whilst he was in charge of Tottenham Hotspur, and the player is looking forward to a reunion at Craven Cottage.

"It was a frustrating period last season, but I'm here now and glad to be here," he said in the Express and Star. "I just had to have one conversation with Martin and I knew it was where I wanted to be. Crystal Palace were interested and I respect Ian Holloway. But for me at this period and knowing Martin, it was the only place I wanted to go."

Bent will firstly set his sights on regular football for his temporary club, which he hopes will lead to an England recall. Having won the last of his 13 caps in the friendly clash with Spain almost two years ago, he knows he must hit the ground running if he is to earn the attention of Hodgson. However, this is something he believes he is capable of.

"If I'm doing well and Fulham are doing well there's no reason why I can't be there," added Bent, who is available for the first game of the season when the Cottagers face one of his former clubs, Sunderland, at the Stadium of Light.

http://takefootball.com/bent-targets-place-in-englands-world-cup-plans-after-sealing-fulham-loan/?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol has his hands full at Fulham
MARTIN JOL insists he is the man to bring the best out of his maverick stars this season.

Martin Jol has signed up several temperamental players this season
The Fulham boss snapped up Darren Bent on loan yesterday with the prospect of pairing the forgotten Villa man with the mercurial Dimitar Berbatov.

Throw the temperamental Adel Taarabt into the mix and Jol can expect to have his work cut out.

The Dutchman said: "Sometimes you have to be creative and take them when the situation is bad.

"We won't pay big transfer fees and we have a certain amount in our budget to spend.

"Sometimes you have to gamble.

"At Tottenham I sold Dimitar Berbatov for £30m and took him back for peanuts here. Adel was going to PSG a year ago for a lot of money and now we've picked him.

"That's what I try to do."

Darren Bent has been snapped up by Fulham from Aston Villa

Fulham have made seven summer signings but bad boy Taarabt promises to be the biggest gamble of the lot.

He was already on thin ice when he was sent home from QPR's tour last month - the final straw for Harry Redknapp, who dumped him.

Now Jol hopes his new loan star, who is in line for his debut at Sunderland today, can rebuild his troubled career.

He said: "Adel's certainly a player a club like us could do with in the squad.

"He gives us that extra thing and I need goals and creativity up front.

"Hopefully he can improve and he'll become a player who scores eight, nine or 10 goals and produces more assists.

"But there's not a lot of players with his talent in Europe.

"He needs to do it on a consistent basis and he needs confidence."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/333010/Martin-Jol-has-his-hands-full-at-Fulham

WhiteJC

Bargain Bucket Shopping!

With the sudden and dramatic arrival of Darren Bent, Martin Jol appears to have used the loan market very well.

Bent joins Taarabt on being a season long loan and hoping to make an impact.

Talking about how Fulham have gone about their business, Jol is quoted in the papers as having remarked,

"Sometimes you have to be creative and take them when the situation is bad."

"We won`t pay big transfer fees and we have a certain amount in our budget to spend. Sometimes you have to gamble."

"At Tottenham I sold Dimitar Berbatov for £30 milion and took him back for peanuts here."

"Adel was going to PSG a year ago for a lot of money and now we`ve picked him. That`s what I try to do."

It`s a philosophy that could be about to pay dividends I think.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=328954#ixzz2cECqWKdp

WhiteJC

Martin Jol: 'Fulham can't pay big fees'

Fulham manager Martin Jol has admitted that he will not be able to pay big money for any players in the transfer window.

Jol has brought in a number of loans and low-price players in the window, many of whom the Dutchman believes represent good business.

"Sometimes you have to be creative and take them when the situation is bad," Sky Sports News quotes Jol as saying.

"We won't pay big transfer fees and we have a certain amount in our budget to spend. Sometimes you have to take a gamble.

"At Tottenham I sold Dimitar Berbatov for £30m and took him back for peanuts. Adel Taarabt was going to Paris Saint-Germain a year ago for a lot of money and now we've picked him. That's what I try to do."

Fulham recently wrapped up the loan signing of Darren Bent from Aston Villa.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/jol-fulham-cant-pay-big-fees_99097.html

WhiteJC

#takemethere

It's an exciting day for Fulham fans as Saturday afternoon's opening fixture of the 2013/14 Barclays Premier League campaign also marks the first wear of our brand new adidas Third Kit, as the boys sport blue against the Black Cats.

The new adidas Third Shirt will be available to buy online, at the Stadium Store, or direct on 0843 208 1223 from Monday 19th August.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/17/takemethere?