Chantome

Started by OxfordWhite, August 18, 2013, 08:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PokerMatt

Quote from: cmg on August 18, 2013, 03:16:16 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on August 18, 2013, 03:09:44 PM
Quote from: cmg on August 18, 2013, 03:02:34 PM

Seems like a major player.

I note he is described as 'the new Didier Deschamps'. Which means, of course, that he is a midfielder and he is white. As has been noted before, had he been black he would have been 'the new Patrick Viera'.

Actually I think he might be bit more defensive than we really need. We really need more of a Viera (if only!) than a Deschamps. I speak in terms of footballing style rather than ethnicity here.

Still, a big step forward from the likes of Parker.

Like I said I've seen him a handful of times watching PSG over the last couple of seasons, but I don't think he's defensively minded. He can play deep, but positioning in the XI in this case is just because he needs to start somewhere.

Would you suggest Murphy was a defensive player because he played in front of the back four? I wouldn't and that's the role I suspect Chantome is best. Attacking and creative from deep, for want of a better description.

No, I certainly wouldn't describe Murph as too defensive. If that's what he is like then - what time's the next Eurostar from Paris Nord? 'Another, younger, Danny Murphy, please', is what's been written on my presciption since last season's final whistle.

Haha, yes, I want to use the comparison with Murph lightly because it's quite an honour. I'm just trying to describe the way he plays in terms of Fulham, and that's the best comparison I can make.

Thinking of Fulham in our Europa season Chantome would certainly be more Murphy than Etuhu - technical with good passing rather than physical.

But that's not to say he will be or is as good as Murph was in his pomp for us.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

PokerMatt

Quote from: fulhamben on August 18, 2013, 03:18:40 PM
Quote from: cmg on August 18, 2013, 03:16:16 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on August 18, 2013, 03:09:44 PM
Quote from: cmg on August 18, 2013, 03:02:34 PM

Seems like a major player.

I note he is described as 'the new Didier Deschamps'. Which means, of course, that he is a midfielder and he is white. As has been noted before, had he been black he would have been 'the new Patrick Viera'.

Actually I think he might be bit more defensive than we really need. We really need more of a Viera (if only!) than a Deschamps. I speak in terms of footballing style rather than ethnicity here.

Still, a big step forward from the likes of Parker.

Like I said I've seen him a handful of times watching PSG over the last couple of seasons, but I don't think he's defensively minded. He can play deep, but positioning in the XI in this case is just because he needs to start somewhere.

Would you suggest Murphy was a defensive player because he played in front of the back four? I wouldn't and that's the role I suspect Chantome is best. Attacking and creative from deep, for want of a better description.

No, I certainly wouldn't describe Murph as too defensive. If that's what he is like then - what time's the next Eurostar from Paris Nord? 'Another, younger, Danny Murphy, please', is what's been written on my presciption since last season's final whistle.
i would towards the end of his spell with us. spent most of the time in the circle.

But he needed a destroyer alongside him to mop up and recycle the ball to him. Using Murph as a defensive midfielder would have been suicide.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Bassey the warrior

Murphy was not a defensive midfielder, he was a quarterback style deep lying playmaker. He looked to play the through balls whenever he could. Unfortunately near the end his passing started to tail off and for the sake of his reputation it was a good time to leave. That being said we could really have done with him playing a cameo role last season, would've undoubtedly finished higher.

hesedmedia

"It is his character that has won him so many admirers with the Parc des Princes faithful, something that recent PSG fans would not be able to attest to having not seen him in action pre-QSI investment. His pugnacious approach to games and ability to lift the side with moments of technical brilliance as well as his penchant for often saving the side given his great sense of positioning which regularly sees him snuff out opposition attacks before they materialise convinced Claude Makelele that he could finally retire at the age of 98 (a slight exaggeration!), leaving the terrain in good hands given Chantôme's excellent form."

Well, they're not underselling him, are they? Sounds like just what we need, to me.

Classic94

Chantome could really be the missing link, and for that reason, we should be willing to invest the reported £8m it would take to bring him here.

fulhamben

Quote from: Classic94 on August 18, 2013, 04:00:58 PM
Chantome could really be the missing link, and for that reason, we should be willing to invest the reported £8m it would take to bring him here.
yes but you just know we will try and loan him
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

cmg

So...a mixture of Dechamps, Viera, Murphy and Makelele.......Oh...all right then, let's give him a whirl.

Bet he'll be no good at fixing that tricky plumbing in the dressing-room.

RidgeRider

has anyone seen a credible report we are attempting to sign him? or is it just linking stories?

After reading Savage's tips for expediting a transfer, I believe nothing, even though some deals come off

Ffc-colts

we wont sign him, we wouldnt spend 5 or 6m on Bent, Jol said we wont spend 5 or 6m on one player so we have no chance of signing him.

rusty shackleford

Quote from: Ffc-colts on August 18, 2013, 06:14:37 PM
we wont sign him, we wouldnt spend 5 or 6m on Bent, Jol said we wont spend 5 or 6m on one player so we have no chance of signing him.

I dont rememer jol saying that

Big Martin Jol

Quote from: Ffc-colts on August 18, 2013, 06:14:37 PM

Look at it this way, maybe we wouldn't spend £5-6m on Bent because we wanted to fund a move for another player.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

Ffc-colts

i am trying to find where i read it but he said we wouldnt spend that kinda money on one player, who knows but there are other teams chasing him who i think he would go to beofre us anyway

rusty shackleford

He was talking about osvaldo i believe and the fee was more like 17m

Ffc-colts

mybe it was i cant rember, PSG wont sell cheap and we obv dont have that much money

SKSW6

Quote from: Ffc-colts on August 18, 2013, 06:59:09 PM
mybe it was i cant rember, PSG wont sell cheap and we obv dont have that much money

What makes you think they won't sell for cheap? They have tons of money, plus now Chantome has allegedly signaled his intent to leave through trying to break his contract. We could appease PSG by offering at least some money (and we should have some to offer after penny-pinching for the past 2 years) which would give us an advantage over some of the bigger clubs which may be waiting until he is a free agent. We'd also be able to offer him guaranteed first team football.

Enter the Frei

If we had 5 million to originally bid for Bent, but then took him on loan does that then mean that we now have a bonus 3-4 million to spend on a new cm? Would that make it possible for us to upgrade for buying Parker to buying Chantome instead? I'm just speculating but it seems sensible to me.

Ffc-colts

what his trying to do what Boatang done?? would be great to get him for free  :plus one:

shnlwswlkr

Quote from: Enter the Frei on August 18, 2013, 08:40:05 PM
If we had 5 million to originally bid for Bent, but then took him on loan does that then mean that we now have a bonus 3-4 million to spend on a new cm? Would that make it possible for us to upgrade for buying Parker to buying Chantome instead? I'm just speculating but it seems sensible to me.

Probably not.
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

Bassey the warrior

After losing out on Osvaldo I really hope we sign Chantome, need a bit of a boost.

JoeBartramFFC

Yes please, would be a fantastic signing and a real improvement on Sidwell