News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who are these people and what happened to the real Fulham?

Started by CorkedHat, May 03, 2010, 02:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

Can someone please help me?
There is a team currently playing at Craven Cottage who purport to be Fulham.
Although they play in a sort of black and white strip, albeit with some red Nazi like emblem on it, they can't be Fulham for the following reasons.
This team playing there are tenth in the Premiership and not scratching around in the nether regions of the bottom league.
This team has an average home attendance of 24,000 and not 2,400 hardy souls who used to have their own game of football on the terraces to keep warm.
This team is in the Final of the Europa Cup and didn't get knocked out by Leyton Orient or Hayes in the third round of the FA Cup.
This team has a manager that every other team would like whereas in the past we couldn't give most of our managers away to a Sunday League team
This team is virtually unbeatable at Craven Cottage
Who are these people and what happened to the real Fulham?

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Lighthouse

Oh how I miss playing Doncaster and Stockport and Barrow. Somehow the joy of watching Fulham is drifting away on a raft of yesterdays memory. Juventus, Hamburg, Man utd, Liverpool. Well it just isn't the same is it? The days of calling over to ones fellow fan in the stand opposite and if he couldn't hear, a player relaying a message across the pitch for you.

Now we play a side we haven't beaten at home for 44 years, never beaten them in the top flight at home, put out a second dtring side. Still win. Oh well. There is always next season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

CorkedHat

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 03, 2010, 02:51:38 AM
Oh how I miss playing Doncaster and Stockport and Barrow. Somehow the joy of watching Fulham is drifting away on a raft of yesterdays memory. Juventus, Hamburg, Man utd, Liverpool. Well it just isn't the same is it? The days of calling over to ones fellow fan in the stand opposite and if he couldn't hear, a player relaying a message across the pitch for you.

Now we play a side we haven't beaten at home for 44 years, never beaten them in the top flight at home, put out a second dtring side. Still win. Oh well. There is always next season.

And whatever happened to a certain left winger called Tosh Chamberlain having a quick ciggy in the middle of a game whilst the ball was down the other end? That was Fulham - what I am seeing today is NOT Fulham.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Meet the new Fulham, Same as the old Fulham(just they can play a bit  :dft012:)
see what happens when you believe Mr CH? and you've been believing alot longer than the rest of us so this must be your fault(Thanksyou) :54:

CorkedHat

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on May 03, 2010, 06:26:10 AM
Meet the new Fulham, Same as the old Fulham(just they can play a bit  :dft012:)
see what happens when you believe Mr CH? and you've been believing alot longer than the rest of us so this must be your fault(Thanksyou) :54:

You are quite right Mr Syd - when you stop believing is when you stop supporting. For sixty years I have always believed that something good awaits us around the corner. Sometimes you walk slam bang into an ambush like the time we sold Clarke and got Large in exchange. I consoled myself with the belief that one day old Frankie was going to astound us and score hat trick after hat trick. How hard could that be against teams like Bristol Rovers and Doncaster? But of course it never happened so then you pinned your belief on a succession of other players and just when it looked as though they had made the grade some bastard with a huge cheque book would whisk them off to a larger club.
But as I say, if you gave up the belief you gave up supporting them, and if I didn't support Fulham I could not bring myself to support anyone. I am like a stick or rock - when you break me in half I have "FULHAM" written through me.
But it is still hard to recognise that the team playing on my ground right now is actually Fulham - but I have to believe it, because I am a true believer :019:

Logicalman

Don't worry CH, rumor has it that when RH gets abducted by the England crew we will get LS back, and normal service will be resumed.

Phew, close shave that, we almost became successful.  :033:

Burt

Quote from: Logicalman on May 03, 2010, 10:39:07 AM

Don't worry CH, rumor has it that when RH gets abducted by the England crew we will get LS back, and normal service will be resumed.

:033:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Peabody

Now here's the question, this bunch of people calling themselves Fulham have, in my opinion, put themselves very close to lengendry status. If I am right, how are us old-timers going to deal with that. For a start, are we going to start a campaign for a team statue?

FC Silver Fox

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit, I do believe we are the only English team still in a European competition. We got us some hollerin' t'do cos we gonna give them Spanish boys a whuppin'.

(sorry 'bout that, I've just got back from North Carolina).
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Scrumpy

What gets me the most is the crowds nowadays. Definately not the Fulham I know and trust.

On Thursday, I looked over at the Putney End and there isn't grass growing on an empty terrace any more. The back half of the terrace is not fenced off any more, unsafe. No, the place was packed with fans, all decked in black and white and (get this) all singing at the top of their voices for Fulham. Craven Cottage was packed to the rafters - for about the tenth time this season!!

WAKE ME UP! This just ain't right.
:028:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Logicalman

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on May 03, 2010, 10:25:19 PM
(sorry 'bout that, I've just got back from North Carolina).

NC hey? I believe we have found Don "The Hat" Hatter's European courier at last. I'll have to let CH at high command know this.

DarkRoom

The art of successful living is to strive & never succeed

epsomraver

Quote from: CorkedHat on May 03, 2010, 03:26:08 AM

And whatever happened to a certain left winger called Tosh Chamberlain having a quick ciggy in the middle of a game whilst the ball was down the other end? That was Fulham - what I am seeing today is NOT Fulham.

Corkie met Diddy David yesterday and that very subject came up re Tosh and the cupped fag in his hand as he ran out on the field, "Oh what finely tuned athletes we had in those days, these modern blokes couldn't hold a stick to them, kicking a cannon ball around a ploughed field for 90 minutes with NO SUBS

CorkedHat

Quote from: epsomraver on May 04, 2010, 10:39:04 AM
Quote from: CorkedHat on May 03, 2010, 03:26:08 AM

Corkie met Diddy David yesterday and that very subject came up re Tosh and the cupped fag in his hand as he ran out on the field, "Oh what finely tuned athletes we had in those days, these modern blokes couldn't hold a stick to them, kicking a cannon ball around a ploughed field for 90 minutes with NO SUBS

Do you remember, ER, when Macedo got injured and because there were no subs he played the remainder of the game out on the wing!

blingo

And he didnt do a bad job of it either  :54: :011: :dft011:

epsomraver

Yes Corkie, and Jim drive a London cab with the doors open through me legs Langley playing with a twisted ankle with his boot off, hopping on one foot and diving along the ground to head the ball as he couldn't kick , those were the days, when men were men and sheep were afraid!

CorkedHat

Quote from: blingo on May 04, 2010, 11:12:14 AM

He was about fifty times better than Reg Stratton even if Tony was on one leg  :026:

Peabody

Quote from: blingo on May 04, 2010, 11:12:14 AM

We'll have to ask Tony Gilroy about that Blingo

ron

.....the crewcut bandy one was no mean goalkeeper either !

epsomraver

With his legs you wouldn't have thought so but yes he did stand in for Macedo a couple of times after injury