News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

WHY are we so bloody quiet at the cottage?????

Started by terryr, August 26, 2013, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrie

Quote from: TerryR on August 27, 2013, 10:06:57 AM
Ok well some people say " shut up I will support the team the way I want".
Yes you can but that ignores the fact that your support helps the boys and really you can get the same experience watching on TV.
Others say " we only cheer when we are winning"
That makes you a crap fan in my book- go support Chelsea or ManU
Others say its the "toffs and tourists"
So the away fans don't cheer because they're intimidated by toffs? Blaming it on others is pathetic. as for tourists.....I bet they would heartily join in and you may be gaining the club a new fan.
I can't really expect this to change but people should realize that we are negating the one advantage a team is supposed to have playing at home. I' m not going to bother on this anymore but will close in saying  that maybe inspiring the players  with vocal support might produce play further inspiring more singing and chanting.
But maybe you all enjoy sitting and watching the away fans chanting and singing making their team feel totally at home and inspired to hand us our heads in "our house" if so then stop bitching about our state of play at home

I feel your frustration.  Noise and energy from a vocal crowd can lift a team, and it is surely even more important when the team is struggling for form and confidence.  If you attend and remain quiet, then you are supporting the club financially, which is vital of course, but not really supporting the players on the field IMO. 

Jimmy Hill

TonyGilroy

I'm guessing that unlike the team the average age on this board has plumetted.

People in their teens and twenties will usually WANT to sing and chant. Older folks won't.

There is a noise issue at Craven Cottage in that noise from each of the stands doesn't carry well but in truth there aren't too many stadiums which are truly noisy. Stoke for sure but there was no way that Sunderland, for example, created an intimidating atmosphere. Actually that's as much about closeness to the pitch as the noise the crowd makes.

Those supporters old enough to remember the olden days before last season may know that our home record used to be, in those long gone halcyon days, extremely good.

Shredhead

I sit in the JH stand in the family zone with my daughter.
I try to join in with the Hammy End or when a song from along the JH makes its way near me, but apart from the (other) middle aged bloke behind me, hardly anyone joins in.
The atmosphere on Saturday was quieter than I expected for the first game of the season (compare and contrast with last season in the sun watching us put Norwich to the sword), but I did wonder if it was because so many of our songs are about Al Fayed?
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

mangoputney

Quote from: alfie on August 27, 2013, 08:24:51 AM
I guess it comes down to that favourite old saying

"you only sing when your winning"

+1 it's completely this ^^^^ not had much to sing about in last 12 months
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

Holders

Quote from: BenjyUK on August 27, 2013, 11:22:15 AM
Think it's a bit of a vicious cycle -

Noise made from Hammy doesn't really get heard, so people don't join in, self-consciousness kicks in and those singing stop.

I do think that getting people to join in relies on sustainable noise - stupid as it sounds noone wants to hear themselves singing for a prolonged period, they want to hear the people around them drown them out! I'm not too embarrassed to say that's the problem with where I sit (H4 Row G).

Solutions include relocating the singing area (perhaps more centrally in the Hammy?)/ Preventing the loss of Hammy End noise out the back/ an initiative designed to get all fans interested in making noise in the same area. Preferably all of these.

As far as the argument goes about fans and their choice to sing - I agree with both sides. People should be allowed to not have to worry about this, and these people should be sitting in the Riverside, JH or Putney. The Hammy should really be for the more vocal crowd, who particularly in the second half should make noise in an attempt to 'suck the ball' towards the goal. It's a real phenomenon, honest!

We were good at home vs QPR last year though. So it can be done.

P.S - This is something I'm very naive about but where do songs come from!? I presume Away games - I don't get to enough of them. But I think that creating new chants is an area we as fans need to be more proactive in, especially as we've lost so many good ones recently!

A good analysis. I think doing away with standing hasn't helped. One (or you, if you prefer) used to be able to move towards where the noise was coming from if one (you) wanted to join in.

I also think that some think that they are too young/old to sing.  And I agree with whoever said that chants/songs shouldn't just be about playeres. We used to have some good general songs but not so much now. It is embarassing to get outsung by some of the fantastic noise that comes from  some of the away supporters. Basel (the supposedly reserved Swiss) was a case in point.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

epsomraver

It has to come from the pitch, the team need  to give the fans something to cheer about, at present it is difficult to get excited about the way we play.

Jimpav

This topic seems to crop up on a monthly basis.

Anyone whose been away at all will know that most grounds are pretty quiet places unless it is a derby or other crunch occasion.

There are pockets of noisier fans in each ground but very few have a constant buzz and noise from all stands.

Perhaps if our noisy fans were concentrated in one central block rather than spread thinly along the back of the Hammy End, then the momentum might gather.

The loudest matches I can recall were our relegation clash with Brum and our Euro matches against Hamburg. Whether that's because those matches drew more hardcore support remains to be debated but that's the only time I've seen all 4 stands up on their feet singing.

terryr

OK
So we're not going to change everything overnight.
I think we all agree that giving a bit more encouragement to our boys would a) help the team and b) make the game more fun.
How can we move step by step to improve things?
I really don't know but suggestions may move things along. I for one will do my best to champion whatever we come up with.
T

Jack Fulham

Quote from: TerryR on August 27, 2013, 11:29:53 PM
OK
So we're not going to change everything overnight.
I think we all agree that giving a bit more encouragement to our boys would a) help the team and b) make the game more fun.
How can we move step by step to improve things?
I really don't know but suggestions may move things along. I for one will do my best to champion whatever we come up with.
T

clappers? :54:

Barrie

Maybe we could record some crowd noise and play it over the PA system?