more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (30/08/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 30, 2013, 04:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Marcus Makes Stanley Bow

Marcus Bettinelli made his Accrington Stanley debut in Wednesday night's 2-0 defeat to Cardiff City in the Second Round of the Capital One Cup.

The 21-year-old goalkeeper, drafted in by Stanley on a one-month emergency loan on Wednesday morning, was thrown straight in for his first start by Accrington manager James Beattie, but two goals in as many second-half minutes saw Cardiff progress.

Nicky Maynard opened the scoring in the 61st minute, flicking the ball over his marker, and hitting a first-time shot past a helpless Bettinelli.

Accrington barely had time to regroup when they found themselves 2-0 down, Jordan Mutch crossing for Rudy Gestede to smash home.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/29/marcus-makes-stanley-bow?

WhiteJC

Deadline Day Build Up ...

by barryhaylesgoalmachine

Following Jols pre game press conference prior to the weekends trip to Newcastle, many have already speculated that there will be little activity from Motspur Park in the coming days. There was a hint that he was looking at back up in the right back position with Benalouane from Parma being mentioned as someone under consideration although little else was mentioned in terms of activity. Of course no one really expected him to reveal the ins and outs of any future deals and sometimes it can be a little to easy to speculate when you only know half of the story.

Jol also said that there was a possibility of a few of the "fringe" players leaving in the next few days. We can all speculate who these may be although in my opinion it will most likely be Frei who departs for Turkey and Diarra who will leave the club having not been able to convince the coaching staff of is fitness and justification for a new contract.

Even if it is quiet for us over the next few days then we should be content that the club have acquired some excellent signings over the summer, and all for less than £10,000,000. Every football fan of every team up and down the country will tell you that their team is in desperate need of reinforcements somewhere within their respective squads and we at Fulham are no different. If however you had asked the same fans back in June if they would have been happy with the players that we have acquired to date then I suspect most would have bitten your hands off.

We all know that the so called "Dembele replacement" has still not been found and given the talent of the Belgian it isn't a surprise that we have struggled to find someone in a similar guise. Both Scott Parker and Derek Boateng have added much needed depth to what was the weakest area of the squad although neither are naturally attacking minded. If there are no further midfield signings then it may be an indication that Jol has seen enough in Kasami to consider giving him the chance to establish himself , certainly until January.

Bryan Ruiz is yet to play in the league this season and while we all know that he is not up to playing central midfield,  illustrated by a truly woeful individual performance against Burton Albion mid week,  he will still be factored into the numbers by Jol and I suspect at some point be considered as an option for creativity in the middle.

If Berbatov and Bent are to play up top , whether as a pair or with the Bulgarian in behind , it will leave us with a lot of names to squeeze in to 4 midfield berths. Parker and Boateng could perhaps play in the middle but that leaves Kacaniklic, Dejagah, Ruiz, Taarabt, Duff, Sidwell, Mesca, Karagounis and Kasami all fighting for 2 places so is it really surprising that we are not still looking to add in this area?

The other area of major concern and is now more of a priority than anywhere else is at left back. The only player to eclipse Ruiz on Tuesday in terms of looking out of his depth against a League 2 club was John Arne Riise. Having given Walcott acres of space the game before, he afforded the same respect to Burton and a lack of any marking on his part gave them 2 goals. Kieran Richardson on his day is capable of being a solid option but given his hamstrings are about as reliable as Riise's marking we really could do with another player there.

No one knows what Jol and Makintosh have going on behind the scenes and it would be rather stupid of them to show their hand at this stage in terms of requirements given that it would more than likely make us appear desperate and lead to the club being bent over the proverbial barrel for any given target. Anyone who remembers the transfer windows of the previous few seasons will know that the players we bring in on deadline day had not even been mentioned in the same breath as Fulham football club in the days preceding it. Perhaps this year more than the last few, there is less chance that we will see a last minute signing although unlike the years before we certainly have the capital available should the right player come around.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=395

WhiteJC

Reading consider loan move for Fulham

Reading are considering a loan move for Fulham's young Italian striker Marcello Trotta.

Trotta, who has managed just one league start since signing senior terms with Fulham in 2011, is well behind the likes of Dimitar Berbatov, Darren Bent and Hugo Rodallega in the forward pecking order at Craven Cottage.

And Royals boss Nigel Adkins wants to take him to the Madejski Stadium on a short-term deal.

But Adkins faces stiff competition from the player's homeland, with a number of Serie B teams keen on him, while the 20-year-old recently rejected a move to Polish side Zawisza Bydgoszcz.

Trotta has previously spent time on loan at Watford, Wycombe Wanderers and Brentford.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/reading-consider-loan-move-fulham-youngster-13082957729#2KU28ARzTTJg33rR.99

WhiteJC

Fulham cool interest in Stoke and Swansea target

MARTIN Jol admits Fulham are unlikely to sign Parma defender Yohan Benalouane.

The Whites boss is keen to bolster his options at the back before Monday's deadline, with versatile Benalouane on his radar.

However, Jol says Fulham are looking elsewhere after cooling their interest in the 26-year-old, who has also been linked with Stoke City and Swansea.

"We have a list of players," said the Dutchman.

"He's one of those players who can play left-back, centre-back or right-back, so he fits the bill.

"But I don't think he will be the one."

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/08/29/82029-33786356/?#ixzz2dQCu0FxW

WhiteJC

Loic Remy is poised to make his Newcastle United debut against Fulham

Loic Remy is poised to make his Newcastle United debut against Fulham at  St James' Park on Saturday

Loic Remy is poised to make his Newcastle United debut against Fulham on Saturday.

The Frenchman has trained today and is likely to be set for a bench role against Fulham.

Pardew said today: "He hasn't really done a preseason but he's trained.

"I think the option of him on the bench for the last period might be something I look at.

"There's no problem with him.

"He just can't really do a big portion of the game."

Pardew today saluted the 2000 fans who travelled to Morecambe for the League Cup win last night.

And wants to reward them with three points against Fulham.

He said: "I hope we can give them another victory.

"They were brilliant at Morecambe and hopefully we can give them a win against Fulham."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/loic-remy-poised-make-newcastle-5803134?

WhiteJC

How will Fulham fare this season?
Martin Jol has been busy in the transfer market this summer as Fulham look to improve their Premier League form

Jol has strengthened his squad (©GettyImages)

Over the past few years, it's fair to say that Fulham have cemented their place as a mid-table Premier League side. Despite reaching the final of the inaugural UEFA Europa League in 2010, average league campaigns year upon year have left them trailing behind their local London rivals such as Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs.

Could 2013-14 be The Cottagers' season? The club are certainly looking to improve on last season's twelfth placed league finish.

After billionaire entrepreneur Shahid Khan, owner of NFL side Jacksonville Jaguars, acquired the club in July for a reported fee of £150-200m, the club have made some marquee signings. Here's my evaluation of the new faces at Craven Cottage:

Sascha Riether – Following a successful loan spell at the London outfit last season, the Cottagers made Riether their first permanent signing this summer. Having made 35 Premier League appearances last season, the German international full-back is a solid defender who was quick to impress the fans last year.

Derek Boateng – The Ghanaian international – who has made 46 appearances for his country since 2001 – joined Fulham one a one-year contract after recently playing his club football in Ukraine.

Fernando Amorebieta – "I'm impressed with the talent already at the club and look forward to meeting the players," said the 28 year old Venezuelan after arriving at Craven Cottage following eight years in La Liga with Athletic Bilbao. He has signed a four-year deal, keeping him in London until 2017.

Maarten Stekelenburg – After Mark Schwarzer's departure to Chelsea this summer, 30-year-old Stekelenburg joined Fulham from Italian side Roma for an undisclosed fee. Standing at over 6'5″, the Dutch goalkeeper made 55 appearances in two seasons for La Maggica.

Adel Taarabt – An attacking playmaker with plenty of flair, Taarabt joins the club on loan from newly-relegated Championship outfit Queens Park Rangers. The 24-year-old told his parent club that he wants Premier League football this season, something that could not be fulfilled at Loftus Road. This is the second time that the Moroccan has played under Martin Jol. The current Fulham boss bought him to White Hart Lane in 2007, whilst in charge of Tottenham Hotspur. Last season, Taarabt made 31 appearances in the Premier League, scoring on five occasions.

Darren Bent – England striker Darren Bent fell down the pecking order at Aston Villa last season after suffering a hamstring injury that – along with the form of Belgian international Christian Benteke – kept him on the sidelines. Like Taarabt, Jol also acquired Bent whilst at Spurs in 2007. His loan to Craven Cottage was confirmed on 16th August.

Scott Parker – With Tottenham Hotspur's new midfield signings this summer, first-team football was no longer guaranteed for midfielder Parker. The Cottagers beat Queen Park Rangers to Parker's signature after both clubs had agreed a fee with Spurs. The 32-year-old, who captained England last season, has said that he's looking forward to helping the team progress even further over the course of his three year stay.

So, do Fulham have what it takes to establish themselves as a successful European club? With anticipation over this season's Premier League hotting up by the day, we'll just have to wait and see.

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/130seMa

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

http://www.givemesport.com/373726-how-will-fulham-fare-this-season?autoplay=on

WhiteJC

Jol: Another Fulham signing possible

Fulham manager Martin Jol has not ruled out making another signing before the transfer window slams shut on Monday.

Jol has enjoyed a productive window with the likes of Darren Bent, Scott Parker and Adel Taarabt moving to Craven Cottage this summer and the Dutchman says his spending may not end there.

"I think we are pretty satisfied to have the players on the board. I think we did pretty well to get Darren Bent, Scott Parker and Adel Taarabt," he said.

"We'll have to wait and see, maybe there will be one. You never know what will happen."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/jol-another-fulham-signing-possible-13082957744#JOXPJwmpl9jDLUxC.99

WhiteJC

Pardew expects Cabaye to return to face Fulham

Alan Pardew has told Yohan Cabaye that he expects the midfielder to return to action in Saturday's Premier League clash with Fulham. The France international has not featured this season after the club received a bid from Arsenal prior to their Premier League opener against Manchester City According to his manager, the bid caused Cabaye - who joined Newcastle from Lille in 2011 - to have his "head turned", which upset the 52-year-old. However, Pardew revealed that no further bids had been received for the 27-year-old and admitted that he had told the Frenchman to be ready for their next league match. "I've said to Yohan that I expect him to play this weekend," he said. "Is he receptive? I think so but we'll have to wait and see." The Newcastle boss underlined his desire to keep hold of Cabaye and strengthen his squad ahead of the transfer deadline. "I hope I can keep all my players," he added. "You don't want to lose world-class players like Yohan Cabaye and we will hopefully add one or two." Loic Remy has been the only addition to Pardew's squad, but a move to bring Demba Ba back from Chelsea has also been mooted.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/pardew-expects-cabaye-return-face-fulham#peJ4amIHcLY37jTA.99

WhiteJC

Jol's Newcastle Preview

Fulham are likely to be without Maarten Stekelenburg once again for the trip to Newcastle United on Saturday, while Fernando Amorebieta's debut for the Club remains on hold, Martin Jol confirmed in his pre-match press conference on Thursday afternoon.

"The squad is looking okay," he said. "It's not 100 per cent though because we've still got Amorebieta out, and he won't join us.

"Maarten Stekelenburg is a big question mark as well for the weekend. We will have a look tomorrow, but I think he won't be in the squad. Maarten fell on his other side and was in quite a lot of pain and so I think he won't manage to be in the squad for Newcastle.

"And of course, on the longer term, Kieran Richardson will take at least another three weeks."

There is better news up front for the Whites, though, as Dimitar Berbatov returns to the squad having been rested in midweek, leaving our Manager with an interesting decision to make after Darren Bent led the line in the Capital One Cup win over Burton Albion.

"He played against Burton from the start," Jol said of his new signing. "He looked fit, his capacity is good, so he will be in the squad.

"He was eager to play and he was eager to start. He joined us in every training session and looked fit so I think he looks good, he looks good to start and it's about the decision to make on the team.

"He scored the goal against Arsenal – he's always scoring goals – I'm happy that he's here but we have to wait and see. Berbatov of course is in again, we rested him for the game against Burton, so we are pretty positive."

The additions of Bent and Scott Parker have considerably strengthened the Fulham team, and Jol admits he's pleased with how his squad is currently looking.

"It's not like we've spent like Tottenham and other clubs, but I think we're pretty satisfied to have the players on the board," he said. "I think we did very well to see Scott Parker playing for us – it's as if he was always there.

"Darren Bent came in, Adel Taarabt scored his first goal, so I'm pretty satisfied but you always wish to be perfect. I need a number one in any position because that makes it easier.

"Even for the players on the bench, they will know Berbatov is good and he will play. But I saw with Taarabt, for example, he went in and he scored. And Alex [Kačaniklić], for example, who's a very good talent, has got to learn that: to be productive and score at least eight/nine goals.

"So there is some rivalry for places and the only thing for me is to gel them together in a good side and make us a bit more solid, and I think even that is possible – to score more goals and be solid at the same time."

The Whites face a Newcastle United outfit yet to register a goal in the Barclays Premier League so far this season, but Jol is not taking the opposition lightly, although he admitted he would be disappointed if his side left St James' Park empty handed come 5pm on Saturday.

"If you see their qualities, if you see the players they've got, I think it's a fantastic squad," he said of Alan Pardew's men. "I saw the first match against Manchester City – and City is different, they've got so many qualities – and they beat them 4-0.

"We had a good game against Newcastle last year, and they had a terrific team. The year before, they were in the top six so they've got very good qualities and we are aware of that. The only thing is we would like to get at least a point from that game."

With just a few days remaining before the summer transfer window slams shut, Jol was inevitably quizzed about further new arrivals to SW6, but the Dutchman doesn't envisage wholesale changes before the deadline at 11pm on Monday.

"I don't think it [deadline day] will be as hectic as it was here over the last season when we had one or two players coming in on the last day," he said. "But there are always wishes for any manager.

"I think at the back, for example, we could do with a player, but we'll have to wait and see. Of course Aaron Hughes could always play right-back for Sascha, but we will have to wait and see – maybe there will be one.

"We are probably 20th in the ranking in the league in terms of spending money, but we still do well so we are very proud of that sort of thing, that we still get the good players in – like Bent, and even Scott Parker – and I think if we can do that, attract these players, we will do well."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/29/jols-newcastle-preview?

WhiteJC

Newcastle United vs. Fulham: Date, Time, Live Stream, TV Info and Preview

Newcastle United meet Fulham at St. James' Park aiming to secure their first Premier League win of the season.

Date: Saturday, Aug. 31, 2013

Time: 10 a.m. EDT (3 p.m. BST)

TV Info: NBC Sports, Sky Sports

Live Stream: NBC Sports Live Extra

Preview

Stu Forster/Getty Images

Yohan Cabaye's transfer saga at Newcastle continues to roll on without a clear resolution in sight.

He's lost his place in the French national team due to playing inactivity, so something has to give.

Cabaye's absence is Vurnon Anita's gain with Newcastle manager Alan Pardew revealing he's "very pleased" with the Dutchman's progress.

However, Pardew didn't rule out Cabaye's participation against Fulham.

"He won't be involved tomorrow night at Morecambe," Pardew said, as reported by Lee Ryder at Chronicle Live. "We will see what happens on Saturday."

On the subject of Morecambe, the Ameobi brothers, Sammy and Shola, both scored in the 2-0 League Cup win.

Scoring has been a major issue for the Toon, having failed to find the back of the net in successive league games against Manchester City and West Ham United.

Papiss Cisse has been anonymous in both games, accumulating a solitary shot. In fact, defender Davide Santon has got off more shots than Cisse.

Meanwhile, Fulham dramatically overcame Burton Albion in the League Cup thanks to Hugo Rodallega's 117th-minute equaliser, David Stockdale's reflexes and John Arne Riise's clutch penalty in the shootout.

Martin Jol's biggest selection surprise has been Pajtim Kasami starting Fulham's first two Premier League games as the deep-lying forward.

Though, with Darren Bent scoring off the bench in a 3-1 loss to Arsenal and starting against Burton, it's probable he will come in for Kasami to play alongside Dimitar Berbatov.

Projected Starting XIs, via WhoScored.com:

Photo via WhoScored.com

+allanjiang

Statistics via WhoScored.com, FourFourTwo Stats Zone, Squawka.com and Transfermarkt.co.uk.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1754215-newcastle-united-vs-fulham-date-time-live-stream-tv-info-and-preview?

WhiteJC

Fulham supporters won't stand for camera blocking their view

Blocked out: Fans can't see one of the goals because of the new television gantry

Fulham fans are unhappy with new television cameras at Craven Cottage that restrict their view.

Supporters sitting in the Johnny Haynes Stand missed some of Saturday's defeat against Arsenal because a television gantry has been erected for the new season.

One fan told the Fulham Chronicle: "Maybe, it was a good thing I missed it. But I've no idea how Lukas Podolski scored Arsenal's third."

Fulham are in talks with the Premier League about finding a solution. A club spokesperson said: "Following the new broadcast rights agreement announced last spring, the Premier League issued mandatory criteria for all stadiums in the Premier League commencing at the beginning of 2013-14.

"The club was made aware of a camera position that it had to install in the centre of the Johnny Haynes stand. Numerous conversations and debates took place of what was essential for this position and the club made many alternative recommendations, none of which were acceptable to the League.

"It is still the aim to work with the league on finding a better structure to enable the position to remain but with less impact to the fans."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-supporters-wont-stand-for-camera-blocking-their-view-8789657.html

WhiteJC

Fulham trio ruled out of Newcastle United clash

FULHAM will be without Maarten Stekelenburg, Kieran Richardson and Fernando Amorebieta for Saturday's trip to Newcastle United.

Keeper Stekelenburg is still struggling with a shoulder injury sustained in the opening-day win at Sunderland, so David Stockdale will continue between the sticks.

Fellow summer signing Amorebieta must wait for his Fulham debut, while Richardson is still three weeks away from a return, with John Arne Riise set to continue to deputise.

Meanwhile, Darren Bent is in line to start after his full debut against Burton in midweek.

Boss Martin Jol said: "He looked fit, his capacity is good, so he will be in the squad.

"He was eager to play and he was eager to start. He joined us in every training session and looked fit so I think he looks good, he looks good to start and it's about the decision to make on the team.

"He scored the goal against Arsenal – he's always scoring goals – I'm happy that he's here but we have to wait and see. Berbatov of course is in again, we rested him for the game against Burton, so we are pretty positive.

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/08/29/82029-33786673/?#ixzz2dQFM7EPJ

WhiteJC

Sticky Draw in Capital One Cup

Against Burton Albion, in round two of the Capital One Cup, we were given one almighty scare.

Thanks to a goal from Hugo Rodallega, three minutes from the end of extra time, we were able to ease past gallant Burton courtesy of a penalty shoot-out.

Our reward for finally shrugging off the challenge of Burton Albion, in round three, is a home tie against Everton.

It`ll be a tough one but one we`d hope to, on the night, get through and move a step closer to a Wembley date.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=330444#ixzz2dQFUeq4T

WhiteJC

Striker Off On Loan

As the comings and goings continue, ahead of the transfer window closure, it looks as if one of our promising youngsters could be going out on loan.

Eighteen year-old Derek Safo Tieku is rumoured to be heading off on loan to League One side, Swindon Town.

If anything official is forthcoming from the club then we`ll run a follow up article.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=330445#ixzz2dQFjuwAW

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol hints he could target new defender before Monday

Fulham manager Martin Jol is delighted with his transfer window business this summer and could look to add a new defender before Monday's deadline.

Jol has strengthened his squad with signings, including midfielders Scott Parker and Adel Taarabt, as well as striker Darren Bent, who scored on his debut in the 3-1 defeat by Arsenal.

The Cottagers boss does not expect a "hectic" flurry of late activity before the window closes, but he admitted he would like extra cover for his defence.

"I think we are pretty satisfied to have the players on the board. I think we did pretty well to get Darren Bent, Scott Parker and Adel Taarabt," he said.

"We will have to wait and see, maybe there will be one. You never know what will happen.

"I don't think deadline day will be as hectic as it was here over the last season when we had one or two players coming in on the last day, but there are always wishes for any manager.

"I think at the back, for example, we could do with a player, but we'll have to wait and see.

"Of course Aaron Hughes could always play right-back for Sascha Riether, but we will have to wait and see - maybe there will be one.

"We are probably 20th in the ranking in the league in terms of spending money, but we still do well.

"We are very proud that we still get the good players in - like Bent, and even Scott Parker - and I think if we can do that, attract these players, we will do well."

Jol also admitted he was unlikely to make a move for Parma defender Yohan Benalouane, and added: "He is one of those players who can play left-back, centre-back or right-back, so he fits the bill, but I don't think he will be the one."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8895678/?

WhiteJC

Senderos told he can leave Fulham

FULHAM boss Martin Jol is willing to let Philippe Senderos and John Arne Riise leave the club before the transfer window closes on Monday night.

Defender Senderos only signed a new one-year deal in March, but hasn't featured this season, with the summer arrival of Fernando Amorebieta forcing the Swiss centre-back even further down the pecking order.

Jol is also ready to let Riise move on, despite an injury to first choice left-back Kieran Richardson.

However, he promised to bring in cover if the pair leave Craven Cottage over the weekend.

"There are always players who tell you they need games, so I don't know what will happen over the last couple of days," said the Dutch manager.

"We've got a few players; Philippe Senderos needs games and would like to start – he isn't – so we will have to wait and see what happens to him because Aaron Hughes is doing well, Fernando did well and Brede [Hangeland] is my captain.

"With John we were very honest about it. He's too good, too experienced and a servant to the club, so if he needs to play I will never tell him he's got to stay because we have Kieran.

"There's an opportunity that one or two of the players could leave the club, then we will do something." 

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/08/29/82029-33787206/?#ixzz2dQGFLKVx

Burt

Martin Jol has rubbished Alan Pardew's claim that Darren Bent joined Fulham as a "safer option".

Pardew made the claim before this weekend's match which sees Bent and Fulham visit St James' Park after the striker turned down a move to Newcastle earlier in the summer.

The Magpies boss suggested that the 29-year-old chose to join Fulham to play under less pressure at Craven Cottage than he would in the North East and that swayed his decision.

However, Jol has dismissed these claims, citing regular first-team football was the main reason Bent joined the club.

According to the London Evening Standard, Fulham manager Jol said: "I really do not know what he [Alan Pardew] means.

"I feel he probably made the right decision because he knows that he is in our plans and that means he will play a lot of games.

"He knows he is an important part of my squad - otherwise I think he would have gone to Newcastle."

Bent opened his Fulham account as he grabbed his side's only goal in last weekend's defeat to Arsenal and Jol has backed him to rebuild his career during the loan spell after being frozen out at Aston Villa.

He added: "He was eager to play and eager to start [last weekend]. He joined us late but his fitness looks good and he is ready to start."

WhiteJC

Martin Jol: No way Darren Bent is just playing it safe

Happy days: Darren Bent is more than ready to make an impact at Fulham

Martin Jol has dismissed Alan Pardew's claims that Darren Bent turned down Newcastle for Fulham because it was the "safer option".

Bent rejected a move to St James' Park before joining Fulham on a season-long loan from Aston Villa earlier this month and Pardew suggested that the chance to play under less pressure at Craven Cottage may have influenced his decision. But Jol says a guarantee of regular football was the deciding factor for Bent, who could make his first Premier League start for Fulham tomorrow —against Newcastle.

"I really do not know what he [Pardew] means," said Jol. "I feel he probably made the right decision because he knows that he is in our plans and that means he will play a lot of games. He knows he is an important part of my squad — otherwise I think he would have gone to Newcastle."

Bent scored his first goal for Fulham against Arsenal last weekend and Jol has backed him to rebuild his career after being frozen out at Aston Villa.

"He was eager to play and eager to start [last weekend]. He joined us late but his fitness looks good and he is ready to start."

Fulham will be without goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg tomorrow after he suffered a setback in his recovery from a shoulder injury so David Stockdale will continue to deputise.

Adel Taarabt has made a brilliant start to his Fulham career and Aaron Hughes says the Queens Park Rangers midfielder has already proved that he is not a lazy player.

"Adel has been great," said Hughes. "That has never been an issue or concern. He gets around the pitch and does what he does. Different players have different styles and his quality on the ball is there for everyone to see.

"To have him with us this year is a big plus for us."

Arsenal target Yohan Cabaye could return for Newcastle after Pardew told the midfielder he expects him to be available for selection. Cabaye has reportedly been on strike after Newcastle rejected a £10million offer from the Gunners last week.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/martin-jol-no-way-darren-bent-is-just-playing-it-safe-8790978.html

WhiteJC

Fulham boss sets challenge to Rodallega

MARTIN Jol has challenged Hugo Rodallega to prove his worth at Fulham.

The Colombian forward managed just three goals in 33 appearances for the Whites last campaign after signing from Wigan Athletic.

He has dropped down the Craven Cottage pecking order following the arrival of Darren Bent on loan from Aston Villa.

But the 28-year-old gave boss Martin Jol food for thought with a goalscoring cameo on his first appearance of the season in Tuesday night's Capital One Cup win at League Two Burton Albion.

And the Dutchman called on Rodallega to reproduce those exploits.

He said: "It's about being successful. If he scores two or three goals in a match – he scored four, years ago – hopefully he can do that.

"He had three goals last year – three headers. I remember against Reading he had four chances [and never scored].

"If he can deliver and be productive he will get games. I'm not sure the competition will help him.

"He has to be strong and show us he can be valuable to Fulham."

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/08/30/82029-33787096/?#ixzz2dSoMNfB1

WhiteJC

Is Martin Jol coming unstuck at Fulham after Burton Albion draw?

A 2-2 draw with Burton has left Fulham fans asking questions of the manager, Martin Jol. (Picture: Getty Images)

There are far more worrying fates that could have befallen Fulham in the Capital One Cup than scraping past Burton Albion on penalties thanks to the backside of Dean Lyness. Yes it was concerning, somewhat embarrassing, but at least we made it through.

Still, doubt spread like wildfire across the terraces on Tuesday evening and there has been little reprieve since. Many, it seems, are beginning to lose faith in Martin Jol.

Some may say such hasty scepticism is unhealthy and unfair, but there is reason in the ridicule. Defending the former Ajax manager has become increasingly difficult.

He is tactically naive, something recently highlighted by potential Tottenham Hotspur signing Christian Eriksen, who blurted out a story that sounded all too familiar in the sanctity of Craven Cottage. 'The midfield was often skipped,' Eriksen said of his time under Jol at Ajax.

'There were primarily long balls up to Suarez and then it was hoped he would do something spectacular.'

But can Jol call himself a man of the people?

Cue Dimitar Berbatov and the legion of defenders who take no pity in bypassing a weak middle line to feed him the ball. Too often has Berbatov been expected to produce thanks to some simply thoughtless tactical planning, and too long have we been chucking hoofs in his direction. Last season, for example, Fulham topped the Long Ball Table by some distance, well clear of Stoke City and West Ham United.

Admittedly, setting the side up isn't every manager's cup of tea. Steve Bruce and Martin O'Neill are prime examples of gaffers with minimal tactical nous, but they have built successful teams regardless. Their man-management skills, and their transfer-market-cunning saw them through.

But can Jol call himself a man of the people? Certainly not. Bobby Zamora, Clint Dempsey, Dickson Etuhu and Danny Murphy have all walked from SW6 in a huff, while Pajtim Kasami and John Arne Riise have had their problems with the Dutchman.

And so we're left with Martin Jol, the wheeler-dealer. In fairness, business has been pleasant this summer – we've bought well and used the loan market wisely. But how much of that is down to Jol, and how much of that is down to CEO, Alistair Mackintosh? Only those inside the club will know the true answer to that.

It leaves a previously revered manager looking really rather average and, as we at Fulham are well positioned to acclaim to, a football team is a mere reflection of its manager.

Under Hodgson we were resolute, under Hughes, pragmatic. Now? A little bit all over the place.

Jol has the time and Shahid Khan the patience to get things going for all parties, but a 2-2 draw with Burton Albion was never going to paper over the cracks.

Only an upturn in form will do that.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/30/is-martin-jol-coming-unstuck-at-fulham-after-burton-albion-draw-3942139/?