watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (06/09/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 06, 2013, 08:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham's 25-man Premier League squad: Find out who has made the cut for the new season

Managers have been asked to submit names to the Premier League - and here are those who will feature for the Cottagers

Scott Parker checked into the Cottage this season
Paul Thomas

Martin Jol has named Fulham's 25-man Premier League squad, with new signings Scott Parker, Adel Taarabt and Maarten Stekelenburg all included.

The Cottagers did a lot of their summer transfer business early, with Fernando Amorebieta, Derek Boateng and Sasha Riether all joining the club.

All Barclays Premier League managers had to submit names to the authorities yesterday following the closure of the summer transfer window.

Rules state that clubs can have no more than 17 players who are not deemed to be 'home grown', but may have as many U-21 stars as they like.

The Premier League says: "A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21)."

Changes can be made, however, when the window reopens again on January 1 2014.

And you can find out who features for Fulham here:

25-man squad list (player name and whether they are 'home grown')
Stekelenburg, Maarten (No)

Stockdale, David Adam (Yes)

Etheridge, Neil (Yes)

Riether, Sascha (No)

Zverotic, Elsad (No)

Hughes, Aaron William (Yes)

Senderos, Philippe (Yes)

Hangeland, Brede Paulsen (No)

Amorebieta Mardaras, Fernando Gabr (No)

Richardson, Kieran Edward (Yes)

Riise, John Arne (No)

Briggs, Matthew (Yes)

Duff, Damien Anthony (Yes)

Dejagah, Ashkan (No)

Sidwell, Steven James (Yes)

Boateng, Derek Owuso (No)

Parker, Scott Matthew (Yes)

Ruiz Gonzalez, Bryan Jafet (No)

Karagkounis, Georgios (No)

Taarabt, Adel (Yes)

Kacaniklic, Alexander (Yes)

Bent, Darren Ashley (Yes)

Rodallega Martinez, Hugo (No)

Berbatov, Dimitar (No)

Martin Jol has welcomed several new faces to Fulham this summer
Serena Taylor

Under-21 players (Contract and Scholars)
Arthurworrey, Stephen

Baba, Noe

Banya, Charles

Bettinelli, Marcus

Brister, Alexander Keith

Buatu, Mananga Jonathan

Burgess, Cameron

Burn, Daniel Johnson

Christensen, Lasse Vigen

David, Christofer

Della Verde, Lyle

Dembele, Moussa

Donnelly, Liam Francis Peadar

Elworthy, Shane

Evans, Jordan Anthony John

Frei, Kerim

Grimmer, Jack

Hyndman, Emerson

Islamovic, Dino

Joronen, Jesse Pekka

Kasami, Pajtim

Kavanagh, Sean

Leacock Mcleod, Mekhi

McDonald, Wesley

Minkwitz, Ronny

Na Bangna, Buomesca Tue

Norman, Magnus

Oberschmidt, Max

O'Halloran, Dean

O'Reilly, Daniel

Passley, Josh

Pritchard, Joshua Philip

Redford, Aaron

Richards, Tom Oliver

Roberts, Patrick John Joseph

Rodak, Marek

Sambou, Solomon

Sheckleford, Ryheem Cole

Smile, Joshua Clifford

Tankovic, Muamer

Trotta, Marcello

Williams, George Christopher

Williams, Ryan Dale

Woodrow, Cauley

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulhams-25-man-premier-league-squad-2252764#ixzz2e5yGBx00
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham: No comment on Mourinho Jnr

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho's teenage son has reportedly signed for west London rivals Fulham.

Spanish newspaper Marca claim 14-year-old goalkeeper Jose Mario has signed on at Craven Cottage after a one-month trial.

He played for Real Madrid's Canillas side when his father was manager there, but it looks like he has not followed his father following his move back to Chelsea.

Fulham would not comment on the speculation when contacted by Press Association Sport this morning.

"Fulham Football Club does not comment on the identity of any of the young people participating in the numerous football programmes on offer at the club," a statement read.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/fulham-no-comment-on-mourinho-jnr-605956.html?

WhiteJC

Jol hails Fulham's shrewd transfer moves

Martin Jol has lauded the shrewd network his club Fulham has in place after another successful summer of transfer dealings.

Jol worked alongside the London club's CEO Alistair Mackintosh and chief scout Barry Simmonds to bring in England stars Darren Bent and Scott Parker to add to an already impressive squad of talent.

"At this club we have Alistair doing all the deals, I am not even involved in all the financial stuff," Jol said.

"I advise him and then he tries to make us happy because we are a team. I have my scout Barry Simmonds and he is a main factor so we have a very good system in place.

"We are probably 20th in the league for spending money but we still do well and we are very proud of that.

"We got Darren Bent and Scott Parker who I think will be a hit and if we can attract these players we are doing well."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/jol-hails-fulhams-shrewd-transfer-moves-13090558764#58LtzDMJ3fjj1Tme.99

WhiteJC

Stoke: £10 For Members

The Whites meet Stoke City on Saturday, 5th October (3pm) as Mark Hughes returns to the Cottage. If you are a Fulham Member, you can see the game for a tenner.

Our Fulham Faithful Digital and Junior Members are able to purchase a ticket for this match for just £10 in the Putney or Hammersmith End, a saving of £25 on the adult price and £5 on the junior price.

Current Members can purchase their ticket online, in person at the Ticket Office at Craven Cottage or by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1). This offer will expire 10 days before the match (subject to availability).

If you're interested in signing up for a Fulham Membership, prices start from just £20 for adults or £5 for juniors. Find out more here.

Inside the Opposition

Founded in 1863, Stoke are the second oldest professional club world and were one of the founding members of the Football League. Known as the Stoke Ramblers until it changed its name in 1925, the club was promoted to the top flight in 2008 after a period of 23 years away.

While it struggled both financially and on the pitch in its infancy, Stoke was given a boost by the arrival of its most celebrated player, Sir Stanley Matthews, in the 1930s. 'The Wizard of the Dribble' stayed until 1947 and played over 250 times, helping Second Division Stoke to promotion in 1932/33. Narrowly missing out on the First Division title after the Burnden Park Disaster in 1946/47, the Club was relegated in 1952/53 and did not reappear in the top flight for another decade.

A 46-year-old Matthews had returned in 1961 for another four year spell but it was not until 1972 when Stoke won its first major trophy: the League Cup after defeating Chelsea 2-1. By 1990 they had fallen to the third tier of the Football League, but rose up again and sealed a top flight place once more under Tony Pulis in 2008.

Cementing the club's place in the Premier League, Pulis led his side to the FA Cup Final in 2011 – a 1-0 defeat to Manchester City – and subsequently a run at the UEFA Europa League the following season. After another mid-table season in 2012/13, however, Pulis opted to depart and was replaced by former Fulham boss Mark Hughes.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/05/stoke-10-for-members?

WhiteJC

LEWINGTON'S LOVE OF COACHING

THE ENGLAND ASSISTANT MANAGER TALKS ABOUT THE COACHING SET-UP OF THE THREE LIONS

England v Moldova
FIFA World Cup 2014 qualifier
8pm, Friday 6 September
Wembley Stadium
Live on ITV
Buy Tickets

England Assistant manager Ray Lewington has seen much during nearly 40 years in the game as a player and a coach.

So, with a double-header on the agenda for the Three Lions this week, and more time on the training pitch, we caught up with Lewington to speak about what goes on behind the scenes at St. George's Park.

As Roy Hodgson's number two, he's been impressed by the attitude of the England players since coming into the set-up last year.

"You think there might be a few big egos and rivalry between players at different clubs, but there's nothing further from the truth," revealed Lewington, who has spent much of his career on and off the pitch at Fulham.

"In terms of training, they are probably the best bunch I've had the privilege to work with.

"You think you might have a few big egos strutting around, but it's not the case, they are a joy to work with and I do think they are good players because of that."

Lewington, who also played for Chelsea, Vancouver Whitecaps, Wimbledon and Sheffield United, became player-manager at Craven Cottage in 1986.

He went on to have various coaching roles at Crystal Palace, Brentford, Watford - as well as at Fulham under Hodgson - before joining him in the national team set-up shortly before Euro 2012.

The 56-year-old says he has picked up a great deal of knowledge along the way and still enjoys getting out on the grass to coach.

"I've always thought it a pleasure just to be out here, so enthusiasm is not a problem to me. I enjoy doing what I'm doing," he told TheFA.com.

"I've spent a long time doing it now and served my apprenticeship and think I know my subject properly.

"We're here to help Roy. Roy's the head coach in the truest sense of the word. He actually does coach, he's not a tracksuit manager that comes out and stands on the side. He enjoys coaching, he wants to coach. So we're here to assist him."

Alongside Hodgson and Lewington in the coaching team are former Manchester United and England defender Gary Neville and ex-Barnsley and England Under-21s keeper Dave Watson.

The group hardly knew one another, let alone had worked together, before joining up for the first time, but Lewington says they get on very well.

"Considering none of us knew each other, apart from Roy and I, we're a remarkably close team," he said.

"Dave I knew of, but didn't know him. He's a very competent goalkeeping coach and I know that Joe (Hart) holds him in high regard. If the players have got that feeling for you, that's half the battle."

He added: "I had never met Gary at all, and I must admit I didn't know what to expect. But I've been unbelievably, pleasantly surprised. He's a really bright lad, whatever he wants to do he'll do.

"He's got an opinion, a strong opinion and he tells you. I just think whatever Gary turns his hand to he'll do well."

Tickets for Friday's game are still available priced from £25*. Family tickets (2 adults, 2 children) are just £60*. You can buy online at www.TheFA.com/tickets

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/england/News/2013/ray-lewington-moldova-ukraine?#bLv0h2ZsbA4O7G0I.99

WhiteJC

Five facts about new Fulham signing Elsad Zverotic

A player that will perhaps be relatively unknown to Fulham fans signed towards the end of the transfer window, so here we give you a bit more information on one of your latest signings.

One of Fulham's late signings in the transfer window was Elsad Zverotic from BSC Young Boys on a two year contract for an undisclosed fee. He plays in defensive positions, mostly at right-back, and can also operate in midfield, but here are a few more facts about Fulham's new boy.

1) He made his professional debut at the age of 17, playing in attacking midfield and as a centre forward for FC Bazenheid scoring 25 goals in 30 games.

2) From there he moved onto FC Wil, where they started converting him into a more defensive player after losing some substantial form in front of goal.

3) He spent a total of two years at BSC Young Boys after a spell FC Luzern, making Fulham his first move outside of the Swiss leagues.

4) He is a Montenegro international and has made 39 appearances for his national side, scoring a total of four goals – one of them coming against England.

5) He scored a stunning equaliser at Anfield last season for BSC Young Boys in their Europa League group stage encounter. The game finished 2-2.

Here is a video of his goal at Anfield in October 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mmd5gz2o1I&feature=player_embedded#t=0

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/09/05/five-facts-about-new-fulham-signing-elsad-zverotic/?

WhiteJC

Diarra returns to action to boost chances of landing Fulham deal

MIDFIELDER Mahamadou Diarra made a successful return from injury in an internal game at Fulham's training ground yesterday.

The Mali star is trying to prove his fitness to boss Martin Jol following eight months out with a knee injury.

Diarra is a free agent after his contract expired in June, but is back in full training and closing in on a return to full fitness.

The former Real Madrid ace stepped up his recovery with a 60-minute run-out at the club's Motspur Park base on Wednesday.

Diarra was handed a further boost last night when Fulham submitted their 25-man squad to the Premier League, with one spot still remaining should Jol decide to re-sign the 32-year-old.

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/09/05/82029-33812309/?#ixzz2e60riAGR

WhiteJC

Hughes Out of Internationals

There`s sad news coming out of the Northern Ireland camp ahead of the two World Cup qualifiers against Portugal and Luxembourg.

Aaron Hughes, who has started the season well, has been forced to withdraw with a groin injury and has returned to Fulham for treatment,

Ironically, the player called up to replace him is none other than the former Fulham player, the versatile Chris Baird.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=331408#ixzz2e612KUO0

WhiteJC

Quick Pass Online

We'd like to let you know that you can now register for Quick Pass online. Load money onto your Season Ticket Card and enjoy a quicker service when buying food and drink on matchday.

Season Ticket Holders will be able to use this service for the first time at our fixture against West Bromwich Albion on Saturday 14th September (3pm).

To set up your card all you need to do is:

1. Visit https://quickpass.fulhamfc.com and register your Season Ticket card.

2. Top up your card, or even better - enable auto top up so you're never caught short!

3. Use the designated Quick Pass lanes and save time queuing.

What's more, top up before the West Brom match and we'll give you an extra 10% credit. For further information on Quick Pass read our FAQs online.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/05/quick-pass-online?

WhiteJC

The International Break, Mourinho, Kerim Frei, Georgie Thompson, Diarra, and Diarrhea

Depending on how you feel about International Football, this is either a great time or a horrible time. I myself am a big fan of the US National Team, so I enjoy it. Plus, my local club (The Sounders) played at home last night and again on Saturday; so I'm hardly starved for football. For the rest of you, here are some interesting links and stories.

The international break hits Fulham particularly hard. Eight players are going to be gone for international duty. For a club struggling to find a best eleven and a consistent strategy, having those players gone is not ideal. All of the following players are away for the break: Elsad Zverotic (Montenegro), Alex Kacaniklic (Sweden), Brede Hangeland (Norway), Philippe Senderos (Switzerland), Giorgos Karagounis (Greece), Aaron Hughes (Northern Ireland), Fernando Amorebieta (Venezuela), Bryan Ruiz (Costa Rica).

Staying with international football, and tangentially related to Fulham, 20 out of 24 players on the Venezuela national team came down with explosive diarrhea. No news on whether Amorebieta is one of those affected, but the odds are not in his favor.

Speaking of international players, the amount of English players in the Premier League has fallen to 32%. Even though this comes at a time when Fulham has more English players than I can remember; I know that there will be a lot of soul searching as to why this is, and how the Premier League clubs need to work harder. However, I think it all comes down to English Players being overvalued. Lower league clubs are holding out for ridiculous fees for homegrown players. Examples are James McCarthy being sold for £13M, Wigan putting a  £15M pricetag on Callum McManaman, and Jordan Rhodes being valued at  £10M+ by Blackburn. If you're a premier league club, why would you pay those fees when you can shop overseas for discounts? Look at these fees: Etienne Capoue (£8.6M), Emanuele Giaccherini (£6.5M), Christian Eriksen (£11M), and Nacer Chadli (£7M). Wouldn't you prefer all of those players versus the over priced guys from the championship?

Back to Fulham for a bit, as the club announced its squad numbers for the current season. No real surprises except that Kerim Frei is still listed, even though reports coming out of Turkey claim the transfer deal is all but done:

No one seems to know when the Turkish Transfer window closes. I thought it was already closed so this deal couldn't be done, but I've been wrong before. At this point, I don't think there's a sale. There might be a loan agreement, but we should know soon.

Fulham also announced their final 25 man roster for the upcoming season. The one interesting note is that there are only 24 names on it, meaning that they can still sign a free agent. Do they have a player in mind? Chances are good that they're betting on Mahamadou Diarra. He just played 60 minutes at Motospur Park, and might be close to returning.

In more transfer news, I thought this short piece on Fulham's transfer business was pretty illuminating. It kind of sheds light on who's responsible for what when bringing on new players.

Mourinho coming to Fulham? I did a double take when I read that headline. Turns out Fulham just signed his son to their academy. This almost seems like a weird troll on Chelsea. He completed a trial at the club, so he must have some talent; but the whole thing just seems weird. Why not play at Chelsea? Is this some sort of acknowledgement that the Fulham youth setup is better than Chelsea? Is it because the elder Mourinho knows his time at Stamford Bridge might be short? Who knows, but it's an interesting story nonetheless.

You may have heard the trouble the BT cameras caused during the first match at Craven Cottage. As usual, the Fulham Supporters Trust is on top of the situation. They continue to do good work, and if you are able, I think you should join.

I'm a big fan of the Men in Blazers. If you aren't familiar, with them they have a weekly podcast about the Premier League (but also touching on US and International Football), plus a show on satellite radio. On this week's podcast, their guest was Georgie Thompson. As usual on their show, they give their guest a chance to make an argument as to why you should support their club. Since Georgie is a Fulham fan, she argued for the club. It's worth a listen if you get a chance.

Finally I leave you with this. The Arsenal result may not have been the best, but this footage from NBCSN is quite fun. I've never been to the Cottage, but this is getting me really excited for my planned trip in the Spring:

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2013/9/5/4697862/the-international-break-mourinho-kerim-frei-georgie-thompson-diarra?

WhiteJC

Bryan Eyes World Cup

Fulham star Bryan Ruiz knows just what's at stake for Costa Rica ahead of two crucial FIFA 2014 World Cup Qualifiers.

In the North, Central America and Caribbean Group, second-placed Costa Rica play leaders United States of America on Friday in San Jose, before taking on Jamaica four days later in Kingston.

Currently two points behind the USA and three ahead of Mexico, Ruiz is targeting maximum points from the two fixtures to seal his country's spot at next year's World Cup.

"If we win both games, we qualify for the World Cup," he told Fulham's official website. "So we're really looking forward to the fixtures, especially the one against United States. It's very important for us to get the three points.

"We are confident. We know it will be hard but we're at home and we're playing for the chance to play in the World Cup, so that is all the motivation we need. I feel we will get the three points."

United States defeated Costa Rica 1-0 back in March, with Ruiz's former Fulham teammate Clint Dempsey grabbing the only goal.

"It will be nice to see him again and say hello," said Ruiz. "Maybe after the match we'll swap shirts. He's a great guy, we played well together at Fulham."

After the clash with the USA, Costa Rica play Jamaica who currently prop up the table with just two points to their name from the first six games.

Ruiz, though, believes it will be a tricky encounter, adding: "It's another difficult match but if we win the first game against United States, we will be in a good place."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/05/bryan-eyes-world-cup?

WhiteJC

Fulham Transfer Review (Parker, Bent)

After six first team departures at the end of last season, and three players not having their loan deals made permanent, it was always going to be a big transfer window for Fulham.

A major problem through last season was central midfield, with the departures of Mousa Dembélé and Danny Murphy never properly addressed. Going into the transfer window, Steve Sidwell was the only central midfielder, after the departures of Giorgos Karagounis, Mahamadou Diarra and Eyong Enoh.

Karagounis was re-signed after being released, which could be crucial for Fulham. He was impressive last year, despite his age, and could provide good backup.

The major signing of the summer is arguably Scott Parker. Just over a year ago, he was a crucial part of the England team. He brings a touch of class to midfield, and in his performances for Fulham so far, his high passing rates have shown his quality. Derek Boateng has also come in in midfield, and while he looked good in pre-season, he was too enthusiastic against Sunderland and was a red card waiting to happen.

While Adel Taarabt has impressed so far, the most important signing of the summer could be Elsad Zverotić. Every team needs a utility player, and with Chris Baird leaving, having a player who can play defensive midfield or right-back could be the difference between a disappointing season and a push for the top ten.

In goal, Maarten Stekelenburg is an upgrade on Mark Schwarzer. It's unbelievable that a goalkeeper who played in the last World Cup final is now at Craven Cottage. There are shades of van der Sar, who arrived at the Cottage after a disappointing time in Italy trying to get his career back on track.

Issues in defence have also been addressed. To the fans' relief, players' player of the season Sascha Riether has joined on a permanent deal after a fantastic season last year, while Fernando Amorebieta also joined at centre-half from Athletic Bilbao. It will be interesting to see how Amorebieta fits into the team. In pre-season he pushed Hangeland to right centre-back, a position that he had never previously played at Fulham. If Hangeland adapts well, and Amorebieta gets fit, it will be a definite upgrade on the Senderos-Hangeland partnership that ended last season. While Senderos is a good player, he always looks like he has a mistake in him. Although Aaron Hughes has looked like he's back to his old self while deputising for Amorebieta, he will be 34 in November, and it's unlikely he will be able to play week in, week out.

Finally, Darren Bent will add a much needed different option up front, with Ruiz and Berbatov becoming very one-dimensional towards the end of last season.

While there are still issues to address – the squad would look stronger with another central midfielder, it's not been a bad window – the squad is arguably stronger, and key players are still at the club.

Published by: Thomas Mcilroy

Read more: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/fulham/news/05-09-2013/fulham-transfer-review-parker-bent/845822?#ixzz2e62KYvPa

WhiteJC

Bursaspor beat Besiktas to £2.5m deal for Fulham youngster Frei

Kerim Frei has agreed to leave Fulham and Bursaspor have beaten rivals Besiktas to sign the teenager.

Galatasaray have also shown interest in the 19-year-old winger who was born in Austria and represented Switzerland at youth level before committing his future to Turkey last year.

Bursaspor have agreed a £2.5million fee with Fulham and Frei is expected to sign a four-year contract before Friday's Turkish deadline.

He arrived at Craven Cottage in 2011 but started only twice in the Premier League last season and spent a short spell on loan at Cardiff.

Turkey: Karim Frei has made his way to Bursaspor on a £2.5million deal

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2413234/Fulham-youngster-Frei-moves-Bursaspor-2-5million.html#ixzz2e62l8ZdA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Southend United manager Phil Brown backing Cauley Woodrow for bright future after signing on loan from Fulham

PHIL Brown is certain Cauley Woodrow faces a bright a future in the game.

And the Southend boss is looking forward to seeing the young Fulham front-runner flourish during his loan spell after being impressed by him in training.

"Cauley has lit the place up in training this week and it's exciting that we're attracting these kinds of prospects to Southend," said Brown.

"When he first came in the plan was for us to have a look at each other for the first week but he trained so well on Monday that we made it a loan deal straight away.

"He's definitely in with a shout of starting against Morecambe tomorrow."

Woodrow will do battle with Barry Corr for a place alongside the in-form Freddy Eastwood in attack.

And he has already done enough to remind Brown of Cardiff City striker Fraizer Campbell who he worked with while managing Hull City.

"There are a lot of people talking about Cauley but his career hasn't really started yet and it was like when Frazier Campbell first came to Hull City," said Brown.

"We came out of the Championship and brought him in from Manchester United.

"We knew he had potential right away and Cauley reminds me of that kind of character.

"He's a bubbly, effervescent type of lad on the training ground.

"He wants to impress and hopefully he can on Saturday but there's real competition for places there now too."

Woodrow has been allocated the number 33 shirt as requested after also having worn that number while with Luton Town at the start of his career.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/10657789._/?

WhiteJC

Wales boss Chris Coleman missed team flight after losing passport
Embarrassment for former Fulham manager moment at Cardiff Airport

WALES boss Chris Coleman was left embarrassed at Cardiff Airport when he realised he had lost his passport.

The ex-Fulham boss was not present for Wales' pre-match press conference ahead of their World Cup qualifier in Macedonia, nor their final training session at the Philip II Arena.

Instead he had to rush to Newport yesterday in order to obtain a new passport, having realised he had lost the existing document on Wednesday night.

That meant the 43-year-old could not travel with the rest of the Wales team from Cardiff Airport and instead made the journey to Skopje from Heathrow via Vienna.

The farcical events represent an embarrassing episode for Coleman and the Football Association of Wales, with the former Fulham boss, who is close to agreeing a contract extension, nowhere to be seen as his team went through their final pre-match preparations.

Coleman was once famously late for a press conference when in charge of Spanish side Real Sociedad.

He claimed a faulty washing machine had flooded his flat, but later admitted he had been out late "somewhere I shouldn't have been".

The FAW attempted to play down the incident as assistant manager Kit Symons stepped in to face the media and take training in Skopje.

But Symons insisted it would have no effect on Wales' performance in their Group A encounter.

Symons said: "There were a couple of passport issues which needed to be resolved and they have been and he will be landing imminently.

"It was a minor issue which has been dealt with. It is sorted so there are no dramas.

"He will not make training but all the tactical stuff has been done during the week and it's just about the boys stretching their legs, so it will not be a disruption.

"I have not spoken to him, I am sure he will bat it off and get on with it and not be embarrassed.

"It is not going to affect the set-up for the game in any way, shape or form.

"It is unfortunate and we do not want it happening again. But it is not the end of the world and it will be no excuse if we do not perform."

Coleman's absence managed what had seemed impossible – replacing Gareth Bale as the number one topic of conversation at the Wales press conference.

The winger completed his world-record move to Real Madrid and was unveiled to the Bernabeu faithful on Monday before jetting back to Cardiff to join up with his Wales team-mates.

Symons confirmed Bale wants to play and that he is available for selection.

But he would offer no further information about how much of a role the 24-year-old, who would miss Tuesday's home meeting with Serbia if he were to pick up a booking, will take having not played a game since July.

"He wants to start. He is a footballer and a passionate boy who loves playing for his country," Symons said.

"In his heart he would want to, but we will make sure we do the right thing by him."

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/3383845?

WhiteJC

Briggs determined to prove himself at Fulham in make or break year

MATTHEW Briggs reckons the next 10 months are 'massive' for his Fulham career.

The young full-back has featured just 28 times since making his debut at Middlesbrough back in 2007.

Briggs is in the final year of his contract at Craven Cottage and the club is yet to open negotiations about a new deal.

And the 22-year-old, who has made two substitute appearances so far, admits the remainder of the campaign is crucial.

He said: "This season's massive for me.

"I came through the academy here and feel at home. It's still my dream to play regularly in the Premier League for Fulham.

"We haven't spoken about a new contract, but of course I would love to stay on.

"It's been difficult to nail down a spot because we've also got John Arne Riise and Kieran Richardson.

"I have to work hard and fight for my place, and if not I'm happy to go on loan."

Briggs spent spells at Championship duo Bristol City and Watford last campaign following loans at Leyton Orient and Peterborough earlier in his career.

And the south Londoner is open to another temporary move away from Fulham to boost his development.

He added: "I have played in the U21s for five years, so I need competitive men's football to push on.

"If I go out again I've got to perform to my maximum. I want to be playing week in, week out. That's what I need to develop.

"No disrespect to Peterborough and Bristol City, but they were struggling at the time so it was difficult to go there and play to the best of my ability.

"When I went to Watford they were pushing for promotion, so that spell stands me in good stead."

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/09/06/82029-33812551/?#ixzz2e6D7lZQe

WhiteJC

Walton Casuals Offer

The international break will bring a momentary halt to Barclays Premier League proceedings over the weekend of 7th and 8th September - but Fulham Season Ticket Holders and Members can still get their football fix with free entry to Walton Casuals' clash with Redhill.

Returning for a fourth successive season, Non-League Day gives fans a chance to show their support for the hundreds of volunteer run clubs in this country. And Ryman Football League Division One South side Casuals, whose chairman is former Whites defender Tony Gale, are allowing Fulham Season Ticket Holders and Members in for free on Saturday 7th September as part of Non-League Day 2013.

Gale, also a popular TV pundit and columnist for Fulham's official website, said: "The importance of non-League is paramount - it's got to survive. It's what the community is all about. "Non-League Day is a great idea. Who'd want to watch Jeff Stelling and the boys all afternoon anyway? No, come along to Walton Casuals instead. We're at home to Redhill on 7th September and it'll prove to the uninitiated that there is life outside the Football League."

There may be a few other Fulham faces around as Gale revealed: "Les Strong is a great lad for supporting our functions. He played alongside me at Fulham at left-back. Les came along to one of my first games at Casuals chairman. He popped his head round the dressing-room door and noticed one of the lads was putting on a pair of white boots.

"Les, in his inimitable style, piped up "Oi, I hope you're a good player; you'd better be if you're wearing those!" We all had a giggle and I pulled Les to one side and asked him: "Didn't you wear white boots for a while?" "I did," came the reply, before adding proudly, "but manager Alec Stock told me to fling them in the bin as I was nowhere near good enough to wear 'em!"

Walton Casuals are at home against Redhill on Saturday 7th September. For more details go to www.pitchero.com/clubs/waltoncasualsfc

To find out more about what's on in your community on Non-League Day, visit the website at nonleagueday.co.uk, where you'll find an interactive map with a postcode search tool.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/06/walton-casuals-offer?

WhiteJC

Jol be sorry...

by barryhaylesgoalmachine

We are only a few weeks in to the new season but there are already rumblings of discontent among the terraces at Fulham. What started with a couple of very average performances, despite an away win, was compounded by a distinct lack of transfer activity on deadline day.

How much of that can be attributed to Jol remains to be seen although I suspect it was not the only factor. Khan is shrewd in his spending and it wasn't surprising that he was unwilling to fund another left back when we already have 3 at the club. Similarly he may have been wary about buying another midfielder when we have an excess of names vying for places, albeit perhaps not the players we want.

On the positive side were it not for a late winner at Newcastle at the weekend then 4 points from 2 away games and a home tie against Arsenal would have been considered a good start. We have regressed slightly from a few years ago but need to continue to be patient with Jol. Defensively we look solid and it's no coincidence that the area we struggle in has the most new faces, across the midfield and final third.

It will take a few more games for us to find the right balance and consistency but we have the tools at our disposal. Yes Scott Parker is not the same player as Dembele was but who would be in our price range? The same fans who moan about replacing Dembele moaned about replacing Danny Murphy before, yet compliments in finding a player in Parker who does exactly that seem few and far between.

Many will disagree with me on Jol but who do you honestly believe is going to do a better job? The consensus appears to be Gus Poyet although I really can't see why. We are not a club who can afford to take a chance on a manager who has no Premier League experience, let alone a manager who let's not forget was dismissed from his last job for improper conduct.

Such is Jol's reputation that he has managed to bring to the club, alongside Parker, Darren Bent who cited him as a major factor in his decision to join as did Stekelenburg. Who would Poyet be able to attract when compared to our current intake? Critics will say that the money available is what counts but Sanchez had money and only succeeded in turning us into Northern Ireland in the space of 8 months such was his abilities to attract players to the club.

Poyet is yet to be snapped up by any other club which to me speaks volumes. Jol may not be your cup of tea and we may well finish mid table again but I can't see him getting us relegated. Let's give him the season and make our decision then. Anyway after he wins the Cup in Brazil Mr Hodgson may fancy another spell at Craven Cottage......

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=404