more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (08/09/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 08, 2013, 06:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Cult Hero

Fulham have had more than their fair share of characters over the years, players that for one reason or another have left their mark on the Cottage faithful. Ian McCulloch reveals our most colourful cult heroes...

From the moment he arrived from Leicester City back in 1990, Simon Morgan was to become almost as much a part of the fabric of the Club as the Cottage itself. Although things didn't look all that promising in the beginning, as Morgan himself says: "They wasted all that money on myself and Stacy North - and we didn't have a good knee between us!"

Dodgy knees or not, Morgan would go on to play for the Whites for 11 years, developing a remarkable relationship with the fans that saw him become one of Fulham's most-popular ever players. And what an eventful decade that was - from the despair of relegation into the bottom tier of the Football League to the euphoria of three promotions in five years.

"It was a roller coaster," Morgan says. "And I tried to stay on it for as long as I could. Things weren't great in the early days, but once we got on the right road and the Chairman came on board it was just wonderful. If you'd asked me after the first couple of seasons whether I'd be associated with Fulham for 17 years altogether, then I would have said you were mad!"

Morgan moved away from the Cottage in 2001, but after a short spell at Brighton & Hove Albion with ex-Whites boss Micky Adams, he was quickly back at Fulham, heading up the Community Development programme. Five years later he moved to the Premier League to become their Head of Community Development.

"I'd been at Fulham so long I'd become embedded in the foundations of the Club!" Morgan says. "But I had a good rapport with the supporters so it seemed an obvious thing to come back and get involved with the administration side of things.

"I'm at the Premier League now, and have been for the last six years. Basically, it's overseeing the community work that we do and providing support for all the hard work that the clubs do. Fulham's Foundation is one of the leading lights, and I'm very proud of that having been at the heart of it for a number of years. So that's the day job, using football as a power for good, and it's something I really enjoy doing."

Morgan played a starring role in the wonderful promotions of 1997 and 1999. A serious knee injury prevented him playing much of a part in the 2001 Division One (now Championship) title-winning team, but he did make one appearance, when he came on as a late substitute in the game against Wolverhampton Wanderers - and promptly won the Man of the Match award from his adoring fans.

"That was the best 12 minutes of my career," he laughs. "Man of the Match and a standing ovation for taking a throw-in!

"All the promotions were very special. Expectation levels weren't particularly high for that first one, but there was just a real feel-good factor around the place. It was a fantastic season. I have tremendous memories from that year and they were a great set of lads - we weren't the most gifted, but everybody gave everything for the shirt.

"There's no doubt that going through the bad times made the good times all that much better - and why I probably over-celebrated the good times! It was a wonderful time in the Club's history, and I was just very pleased to have been involved."

One of the real standout memories for the former defender was when third-tier Fulham took on Premier League leaders Aston Villa in the FA Cup back in 1999 - and won 2-0, with Morgan on the scoresheet.

"I think that was the day when the fans - and everyone else - realised that Fulham were back," remembers Morgan. "Although I'm a Birmingham City fan, all my family are Villa supporters. They were sitting in the Holte End having backed me as first goalscorer, and after celebrating when I scored, nearly got beaten up! It was a great day, fantastic.

"There was a great spirit and a great attitude in all those promotion sides, and a lot of banter as well. I remember when I scored that own goal at Liverpool. Chris Coleman came over and whispered in my ear 'great finish, son!' just as my face came up on TV - I was laughing after scoring an own goal!

"I manage to get to Fulham quite often; I'm a Premier League match delegate, so I'm able to see a few games in that role. It's very rewarding to go back and see them doing so well on the pitch, and to see the stands full and the Club so professional behind the scenes. And it's very rewarding to see the fans growing up who first came along as 10-year-olds with Community tickets. It's a great feeling to be remembered so fondly there and it makes me feel very proud."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/07/cult-hero?

WhiteJC

Ruiz Shines

Bryan Ruiz played a starring role as Costa Rica earned a huge 3-1 win over the United States in a World Cup Qualifier on Friday.

With Ruiz dictating the play in San Jose, the victory saw the Ticos surge ahead of the States to the top of CONCACAF Group Four and leaves them in pole position to book their spot at next year's World Cup in Brazil.

Johnny Acosta opened the scoring early on, rising above DaMarcus Beasley to meet a corner and nod home. Celso Borges doubled the advantage in similar fashion shortly afterwards.

The US pulled a goal back before the break when former Whites star Clint Dempsey, making his 100th appearance for his country, scored from the spot. But Joel Campbell made sure of the win for Costa Rica with 15 minutes left. The Ticos are away to Jamaica on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Fernando Amorebieta was an unused substitute as Venezuela lost 3-0 away to Chile in the CONMEBOL Qualifying Group.

Sixth-placed Venezuela, who maintain slim hopes of securing fifth position and a spot in the Intercontinental Play-Off, host Peru on Tuesday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/07/ruiz-stars?

WhiteJC

Jol: I couldn't stand in Frei's way

MARTIN Jol has defended his decision to let Kerim Frei quit Fulham to join Beskitas.

The highly-rated 19-year-old was given the green light to leave Craven Cottage last night to sign for the Turkish side for an undisclosed fee.

Frei made 33 appearances for Fulham after bursting onto the scene in 2011, but hasn't featured this campaign.

And Jol says the former Grasshoppers winger needed to move on to get regular first-team football.

He said: "Kerim has progressed well through his time in the academy and into the fringes of the first team, which enabled him to play for the Turkish national team, which is a big thing for him.

"But for him to continue this progression and to really fulfil his potential he needs to play week in, week out, and I couldn't offer him that as part of the first team here, so we decided to accept the offer.

"He's sure to have a big impact back in Turkey and I know that on a personal level it's a good option for him."

Jol added: "As a club, because of the structure of the deal, we are still invested in his future and what we believe he'll be able to achieve in time.

"I know he'll be much happier playing, so we wish him all the best."

Read more: Fulham Chronicle http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/09/07/82029-33819949/?#ixzz2eH5V9h3L

WhiteJC

International Watch

by Frankie-Peter Taylor

I usually do a weekly loan watch but I thought I'd give you an International update.

So far, Pajtim Kasami scored a penalty in Switzerland's 2-0 win over Latvia, and Kerim Frei scored the 3rd in Turkey's 4-0 win over Malta, both under 21 European Championship qualifiers.

To add, Jack Grimmer was an unused substitute in Scotland u21s 4-0 loss to the Netherlands. And finally, Jesse Jorenen captained Finland's u21s to a 1-0 win over Lithuania.

Noe Baba started Ireland u19′s 2-0 win over Slovenia, playing 79 minutes until Fulham team mate Dean O'Halleron's came on for him.

Coming up:

- Lasse Vigen Christensen represents Denmark u21′s as they play Andorra tomorrow.
- Josh Pritchard, currently on loan at Tromso, is in the Wales u21 squad to play San Marino tomorrow.
- Cameron Burgess is in the Scotland u19 squad that will play Iceland on Tuesday.

- Elsad Zverotic is in the  Montenegro squad to play Poland tomorrow, of course in the same group as England.
- Alex Kacaniklic is likely to start for Sweden in a must win game against Ireland tomorrow.
- Brede Hangeland's Norway will play Philippe Senderos' Switzerland.
- Giorgos Karagounis is looking to make cap 126 for Greece vs. Liechtenstein.
- Bryan Ruiz playsfor Costa Rica against the United States in a top of the table clash.
- Fernando Amorebieta, who obviously we are yet o see this season has travelled with the Venezuela squad for their game against Chile.

Lastly, Dimitar Berbatov will take part in a charity football game in honour of Stan Petrov. Also taking part will be John Terry, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Jamie Redknapp, Roy Keane and Robert Pires. Also taking part, Louis Tomlinson from One Direction and comedian John Bishop.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=410

WhiteJC

FFC U18s 4-4 Sunderland U18s

Fulham's Under-18s played out a 4-4 draw away to Sunderland on Saturday morning.

The Whites fell behind in the third minute but George Williams levelled the scores just before the half-hour mark when he finished off a good team move.

Almost immediately, however, Sunderland were back in front, scoring from the penalty spot after Noe Baba had fouled a Black Cats player in the box.

Seven minutes later it was 3-1 to the hosts after a good individual goal, but Pat Roberts pulled one back just before half-time when he got in behind the Sunderland defence and slotted home.

Steve Wigley changed things around at the break, with Foday Nabay replacing Wesley McDonald in a move that saw Emerson Hyndman pushed further forward.

And the switch paid off as Fulham made it 3-3 five minutes after the restart, Moussa Dembele finishing off a fluid passing move.

Five minutes later Fulham were in front for the first time in the game when Roberts grabbed his second and the Whites saw chances to increase their lead squandered by a combination of good goalkeeping and poor finishing.

And those misses came back to haunt Fulham as Sunderland snatched a point with five minutes remaining. A long ball forward saw a Black Cats player beat the offside trap before being brought down by the onrushing Marek Rodak. The Black Cats then scored the subsequent spot-kick to ensure a share of the spoils.

Fulham: Rodak, Sheckleford, Baba, Burgess, Evans, Hyndman, Sambou, McDonald (Nabay 46), Roberts, Williams, Dembele.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/07/ffc-u18s-4-4-sunderland-u18s?

WhiteJC

Jol be sorry...

by barryhaylesgoalmachine

We are only a few weeks in to the new season but there are already rumblings of discontent among the terraces at Fulham. What started with a couple of very average performances, despite an away win, was compounded by a distinct lack of transfer activity on deadline day.

How much of that can be attributed to Jol remains to be seen although I suspect it was not the only factor. Khan is shrewd in his spending and it wasn't surprising that he was unwilling to fund another left back when we already have 3 at the club. Similarly he may have been wary about buying another midfielder when we have an excess of names vying for places, albeit perhaps not the players we want.

On the positive side were it not for a late winner at Newcastle at the weekend then 4 points from 2 away games and a home tie against Arsenal would have been considered a good start. We have regressed slightly from a few years ago but need to continue to be patient with Jol. Defensively we look solid and it's no coincidence that the area we struggle in has the most new faces, across the midfield and final third.

It will take a few more games for us to find the right balance and consistency but we have the tools at our disposal. Yes Scott Parker is not the same player as Dembele was but who would be in our price range? The same fans who moan about replacing Dembele moaned about replacing Danny Murphy before, yet compliments in finding a player in Parker who does exactly that seem few and far between.

Many will disagree with me on Jol but who do you honestly believe is going to do a better job? The consensus appears to be Gus Poyet although I really can't see why. We are not a club who can afford to take a chance on a manager who has no Premier League experience, let alone a manager who let's not forget was dismissed from his last job for improper conduct.

Such is Jol's reputation that he has managed to bring to the club, alongside Parker, Darren Bent who cited him as a major factor in his decision to join as did Stekelenburg. Who would Poyet be able to attract when compared to our current intake? Critics will say that the money available is what counts but Sanchez had money and only succeeded in turning us into Northern Ireland in the space of 8 months such was his abilities to attract players to the club.

Poyet is yet to be snapped up by any other club which to me speaks volumes. Jol may not be your cup of tea and we may well finish mid table again but I can't see him getting us relegated. Let's give him the season and make our decision then. Anyway after he wins the Cup in Brazil Mr Hodgson may fancy another spell at Craven Cottage......

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=404

WhiteJC

Baird in Demand

Released by Fulham, at the end of last season, Harry Redknapp had hoped that Chris Baird would give him the thumbs up with regards to a move to Loftus Road, even more so when you recall Baird has been training with QPR.

But, Harry has opposition when it comes to Baird`s signature with it being declared today that Bolton Wanderers, under the guidance of Dougie Freedman, are also keen to take the 31 year-old to boost their own chances of escaping from the Championship.

It remains to be seen where Baird eventually chooses to ply his trade.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=331601#ixzz2eH6f1fjZ

WhiteJC

It Could Have Been Me!

Last night watching England roll Moldova over 4-0 and seeing Rickie Lambert net is second international goal, I couldn`t help but wonder if Darren Bent was a tad jealous.

Bent might well have been pondering over the fact that with the England squad shorn of attacking talent, courtesy of injuries to Wayne Rooney and Daniel Sturridge, circumstances may have contrived to prevent him from leading the line.

Being something akin to an outcast at Villa Park, Bent has seen not only his domestic career suffer but it would appear is international career.

Hopefully there is sufficient time to get both, now he`s at Fulham, back on track.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=331602#ixzz2eH6soDAs

WhiteJC

Hard Time for Trotta

Going back to Brentford, on loan, was always going to be a tough task for our young striker, Marcello Trotta.

After all, in his previous spell there, Trotta was the player who missed the penalty, against Doncaster, which would have seen Brentford automatically promoted.

Naturally Brentford supporters are still a little sore about that but it seems to be a little juvenile of them to play cyber-warriors and bombard message-boards with bad vibes about is return.

Trying to diffuse the situation the Brentford manager, Uwe Rosler, has remarked to the media,

"It`s important everyone gives Marcello a chance. Marcello knows some people have not forgotten what happened."

"Of course people still remember him for that penalty. But I remember the impact he made for the club."

"We should judge him on that and his performances that lie ahead."

"Marcello has come here to fight for his place and play. I feel he is a good solution for us. He bounced back from that Doncaster game and I expect him to help us achieve our goal this season."

"He wants to play games and we both know all about each so there won`t be a settling in period."

My money is on Marcello going from hero to villain and back to hero again, over at Griffin Park, how about you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=331604#ixzz2eH736ahl

WhiteJC

Reading may revive interest in former Fulham man

Former Fulham striker Mladen Petric is being targeted by Championship side Reading, according to The Daily Mail.

The Croatian is currently a free agent after being one of 12 players released by The Cottagers at the end of last season.

He has previously played for German giants Hamburg and Borussia Dortmund as well as current Swiss champions FC Basel so would add vital experience to the Royals side who were interested in his services before Fulham signed him in the summer of 2012.

Petition

After a poor transfer window, Reading fans have started a petition to get Director of Football Nick Hammond out of the club and for owner Anton Zingarevich to spend more money.

The Russian was expected to splash the cash to help the Berkshire club get back to the Premier League at the first attempt, but only Royston Drenthe (free), Wayne Bridge (free) and Danny Williams (undisclosed) arrived at The Madjeski Stadium over the summer.

The sales of Adrian Mariappa and Jimmy Kebe to Crystal Palace have given the club at least £5 million, which they will be expected to spend in the near future.

If money is not spent in the January transfer window and the Royals fail to win promotion, Hammond's transfer policy will come under criticism again.

Fulham sale

Meanwhile, Fulham have sold 19 year old winger Kerim Frei to Besiktas as the Turkish international looks for more regular football.

In two years at Craven Cottage, Frei only played 23 games and failed to find the back of the net.

On Fulham's official website Martin Jol said: "Kerim has progressed well through his time in the Academy and into the fringes of the First Team, which enabled him to play for the Turkish national team, which is a big thing for him.

"But for him to continue this progression and to really fulfill his potential he needs to play week in, week out, and I couldn't offer him that as part of the first team here, so we decided to accept the offer from Besiktas.

"He's sure to have a big impact back in Turkey and I know that on a personal level it's a good option for him."

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/reading-may-revive-interest-in-former-fulham-man/65524/?

WhiteJC

Fulham have shipped in a bit of a monster in Maarten Stekelenburg

Goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg has the chance to prove his worth at Craven Cottage this season, after completing a move from Roma to the tune of £4.76 million.

He is a player of international experience, after keeping a clean sheet on his debut in 2004, when Holland beat Liechtenstein 3-0 in 2004.

The former Roma stopper began his football in the Ajax youth system, following in the footsteps of Manchester United's former goalkeeper, Edwin van der Sar, and also took his place in the Dutch national first team after van der Sar retired – playing a huge part in his teams passage to the final, but ultimately ending up on the losing side.

When he broke into the Ajax first team, making his debut in February 2002, and continued to keep goal for them 191 times between 2002 and 2011.

He established himself as first choice keeper for Ajax in 2006, and won the play of the year award the following season. He also became the first Dutch player to move to an Italian club, when he completed a transfer to Roma in August 2011

His experience will undoubtedly play an important part in Fulham's fortunes this season, as he picks up the number 1 shirt and becomes first choice goalkeeper. Stekelenburg is a very commanding keeper, and very dominant in the air and a brilliant shot stopper. He joins a defence that consists of the likes of John Arne Riise,  Philippe Senderos and Brede Hangeland, who have played 1331 matches of professional football between them – so have considerable experience.

Maarten Stekelenburg could be one of the buys of the summer, as his price tag does not resemble anywhere near his experience or quality. He will be key for Fulham this season, and if he is in form and keeps fit week in week out, they might be challenging for Europa League football come the end of the season.

http://threeandin.com/fulham-have-shipped-in-a-bit-of-a-monster-in-maarten-stekelenburg/?

epsomraver

Quote from: WhiteJC on September 08, 2013, 06:15:18 AM

Fulham have shipped in a bit of a monster in Maarten Stekelenburg

Goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg has the chance to prove his worth at Craven Cottage this season, after completing a move from Roma to the tune of £4.76 million.

He is a player of international experience, after keeping a clean sheet on his debut in 2004, when Holland beat Liechtenstein 3-0 in 2004.

The former Roma stopper began his football in the Ajax youth system, following in the footsteps of Manchester United's former goalkeeper, Edwin van der Sar, and also took his place in the Dutch national first team after van der Sar retired – playing a huge part in his teams passage to the final, but ultimately ending up on the losing side.

When he broke into the Ajax first team, making his debut in February 2002, and continued to keep goal for them 191 times between 2002 and 2011.

He established himself as first choice keeper for Ajax in 2006, and won the play of the year award the following season. He also became the first Dutch player to move to an Italian club, when he completed a transfer to Roma in August 2011

His experience will undoubtedly play an important part in Fulham's fortunes this season, as he picks up the number 1 shirt and becomes first choice goalkeeper. Stekelenburg is a very commanding keeper, and very dominant in the air and a brilliant shot stopper. He joins a defence that consists of the likes of John Arne Riise,  Philippe Senderos and Brede Hangeland, who have played 1331 matches of professional football between them – so have considerable experience.

Maarten Stekelenburg could be one of the buys of the summer, as his price tag does not resemble anywhere near his experience or quality. He will be key for Fulham this season, and if he is in form and keeps fit week in week out, they might be challenging for Europa League football come the end of the season.

http://threeandin.com/fulham-have-shipped-in-a-bit-of-a-monster-in-maarten-stekelenburg/?

Senderos? shows they nothing about our defensive line up